Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 06:43 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I like indexed shifting on bikes I'm using in traffic or trails. My commuter and mountain bike are both indexed. My two 10 speeds are friction shift and sui me just fine for the longer paved road or gravel rides. So I guess my only preference comes down to what activity I am doing as both work great.
Old 06-12-23, 08:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
The extension of that logic is the penny-farthing ... nothing to do but pedal.
Old 06-12-23, 10:15 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26456 Post(s)
Liked 10,417 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by Xavier65

No doubt someone will claim that rod shifters are even superior to friction shifters, because they have no cables to fray, rust, stretch, or slip, and so never go out of alignment, and have 100% positive engagement and feedback.
...now I don't need to do so. Thanks.
Old 06-12-23, 10:17 AM
3alarmer

Originally Posted by Maelochs
The extension of that logic is the penny-farthing ... nothing to do but pedal.

...the people with real vision are probably designing downhill penny-farthings, even as we write here.
Old 06-12-23, 10:21 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,422 Times in 2,986 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I just reached down with my right hand, along he seat tube. And there it was.
Very good.

People mistakingly think Sepp Kuss was trying to swap batteries on his SRAM rear derailleur in the Giro, but he was really trying to shift his front derailleur and couldn't find the rod.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-13-23, 03:57 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 668 Posts
These two photos show what my tourer ended up like after I discovered that indexed shifters weren't generally compatible with drop handlebars
How many cogs on the rear cluster? I just checked and saw NOS indexed Shimano stem shifters for 7-speed and 6-speed systems on eBay, which would give indexed shifting in essentially the same place with far less stuff.

Otto
Old 06-13-23, 09:19 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 287 Posts
No doubt someone will claim that rod shifters are even superior to friction shifters, because they have no cables to fray, rust, stretch, or slip, and so never go out of alignment, and have 100% positive engagement and feedback.
This person already exists. His name is Jan Heine.

He's also done PBP, Unbound XL, and currently holds the FKT on the Oregon Outback course, all using a rod-operated front derailleur. (And a ludicrously-expensive and obsessively-redesigned version of a 1930s French rear, but, hey... it's Jan Heine... weird French stuff is gonna happen.)

Granted, Jan's a beast of a rider, but, still... it didn't slow him down much.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 06-14-23, 01:53 AM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
How many cogs on the rear cluster? I just checked and saw NOS indexed Shimano stem shifters for 7-speed and 6-speed systems on eBay, which would give indexed shifting in essentially the same place with far less stuff.
It's an 8 speed 11-36, but I'd have been happy with a 7 speed 11-36 (indeed I had a 7 speed for quite some time until I changed from rim to disk brake).

'essentially the same place'? Stem vs fingertip? I think that's a pretty BIG stretch. :-}

I did once look for stem shifters or shifters that could be mounted nearby, but having had difficulty finding any, assumed they'd been deprecated due to risk of puncturing the chest upon collision.

Now that I've discovered the pleasure of indexed shifters on thumb & forefinger, I ain't downgrading to less. I will only consider hinged/clip-over shifters that mount onto 23.8-24mm bars - so I don't have to remove all the tape, dual brakes, etc.

Last edited by Xavier65; 06-14-23 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-17-24, 01:12 PM
AeroFred

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Usually, I use Campagnolo indexed shifters and they work great.

But I've travelled with Dia Compe Wing shifters and a 8s 11-32 Shimano cassette, and they shift really really great ! Almost no trimming . . .

I think that is due to the micro-ratcheting. Give it a try, you'll love it !
Old 01-18-24, 09:09 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Of course! Indexed shifting predates brifters. Indexed DT shifters came out in about 1986 or so, and were available into the mid-90s. I've got bikes with 7 and 8 speed indexed DT shifters.
I have 9 speed dura ace DT on my Lemond. Love it. I use both friction and indexed on 6 different bikes.

I do prefer friction on my Surly LHT 10 speed just for the ease of getting it right. With friction all I have to do is make sure the limits of the derailleur are set properly. Too much tension tweaking needed for my preference with indexed on that bike.
Old 02-03-24, 03:08 AM
Thatgoal26

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campag all the way
Old 02-03-24, 07:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,735 Times in 2,954 Posts
The bike originally came with Campi friction but ‘upgraded’ to indexed. What a world of difference. When Campi Ergo levers came out, Oooo La La - a universe of difference. They are on my Fondriest.

Edit: This bike is beat to death - and exclusively is my rain bike - but it still rides like a dream - now if it only had better gearing for climbing. Ain’t 30 no mo.

Old 02-03-24, 07:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18466 Post(s)
Liked 15,729 Times in 7,392 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
well, you asked for opinions/preferences some 8 months ago, so ...
fify
Old 02-03-24, 09:41 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,332 Posts
I used friction shifters on my road bike until about 10 years ago. My wife has used index shifters since 1986.

What it really comes down to is when you absolutely have to hit the shift perfectly, index is the way to go. When you have the time, then friction is fine.

This is why you never see a friction/index debate on a mountain bike forum. Trails are tougher than the early mtb days. Terrain suddenly changes and things happen so fast, no one can afford to fiddle with friction shifting on a mtb these days.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-03-24, 09:54 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I used friction shifters on my road bike until about 10 years ago. My wife has used index shifters since 1986.

What it really comes down to is when you absolutely have to hit the shift perfectly, index is the way to go. When you have the time, then friction is fine.

This is why you never see a friction/index debate on a mountain bike forum. Trails are tougher than the early mtb days. Terrain suddenly changes and things happen so fast, no one can afford to fiddle with friction shifting on a mtb these days.

John
Rest assured you don’t see this debate anywhere else either. These forums are akin to an isolated reclusive tribe up the headwaters of the Amazon.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-03-24, 10:17 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,332 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Rest assured you don’t see this debate anywhere else either. These forums are akin to an isolated reclusive tribe up the headwaters of the Amazon.
We don’t have a Human Sacrifices subforum yet, do we?

John
Old 02-04-24, 08:55 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John
The reason trails are tougher is the racing attitude of riders. I don't get the "no one can afford to fiddle with friction these days". Afford, in what sense of the word? It doesn't apply unless you are racing. Basically, you are only speaking about the competition side of mountain biking. Personally, I don't have a purpose-built MTB trail or anywhere where riders compete within 2 hours' drive of me. I do ride some old trails in steep terrain on a MTB. I enjoy both indexed and friction, but I prefer friction simply because it is fast enough for my purposes and much less fussy about being in perfect condition, and much easier to maintain and set up. In my case afford has a different meaning. I don't need ultra expensive equipment. I prefer a 3X9 or 3X10 or 2X9 or 2X10 drivetrain for its upkeep cost to a super expensive 1X12 or some such.
Old 02-04-24, 09:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18466 Post(s)
Liked 15,729 Times in 7,392 Posts
I’m glad Phil did not see his shadow on Friday.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-04-24, 01:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5025 Post(s)
Liked 8,214 Times in 3,884 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
The reason trails are tougher is the racing attitude of riders. I don't get the "no one can afford to fiddle with friction these days". Afford, in what sense of the word? It doesn't apply unless you are racing. Basically, you are only speaking about the competition side of mountain biking. Personally, I don't have a purpose-built MTB trail or anywhere where riders compete within 2 hours' drive of me. I do ride some old trails in steep terrain on a MTB. I enjoy both indexed and friction, but I prefer friction simply because it is fast enough for my purposes and much less fussy about being in perfect condition, and much easier to maintain and set up. In my case afford has a different meaning. I don't need ultra expensive equipment. I prefer a 3X9 or 3X10 or 2X9 or 2X10 drivetrain for its upkeep cost to a super expensive 1X12 or some such.
I took “afford” in the sense of time, and I completely agree. I encounter situations on my MTB on a regular basis where I need an immediate and precise change of gear. Friction shifting would be highly frustrating. I’m not a racer (any more) and I’m not trying to be the fastest jackass on the hill (any more), but often ride demanding trails.

As someone who started riding MTBs in the early ‘90s, 3x was always the standard. However, I have come to prefer the simplicity and purely sequential shifting of modern 1x systems. Enough so that I set my gravel bike up as 1x, too.
Old 02-04-24, 03:19 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Eric F
I took “afford” in the sense of time, and I completely agree. I encounter situations on my MTB on a regular basis where I need an immediate and precise change of gear. Friction shifting would be highly frustrating. I’m not a racer (any more) and I’m not trying to be the fastest jackass on the hill (any more), but often ride demanding trails.

As someone who started riding MTBs in the early ‘90s, 3x was always the standard. However, I have come to prefer the simplicity and purely sequential shifting of modern 1x systems. Enough so that I set my gravel bike up as 1x, too.

With my riding style, hard and slow, if I need an Immedient change of gears it's going to be to the lowest one. I can actually get there much faster by friction. The only time I prefer indexed is when I am trying to maintain the highest speed up and down hills. That's not how I ride 90% of the time.
Old 02-04-24, 04:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7053 Post(s)
Liked 11,106 Times in 4,742 Posts
With my riding style, hard and slow,
I've heard of hard and fast, and I've heard of slow and easy, but I've not heard of "hard and slow." This must be some new style of riding.

With my riding style, hard and slow, if I need a Immedient change of gears it's going to be to the lowest one. I can actually get there much faster by friction.
​​​​​​
I fail to understand how friction shifting could be faster than indexed -- especially if the indexed shifter is in an STI lever, or a trigger shifter -- neither of which require you to even move your hand from the handlebar.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-04-24, 04:45 PM
3alarmer

Originally Posted by veganbikes
No Larry and those reading Friction shifting is for people who want lower maintenance and maybe want to mix and match parts that might be harder to mix and match. Also you don't need to run them downtube there are bar end shifters and also things like Gevenalle which gives you the convenience of an STI type lever with the reliability of your barcon/downtube shifters, plus you can also find some stem shifters though typically in the vintage world found on more low end stuff but I have seen some modern upgrades to it using higher quality parts. People like Mr. Armstrong used a friction downtube shifter to cut weight back in the day.

They are also great for touring when say things go bad and your indexing stops working you can switch a lot of barcon and downtube shifters (including Gevenalle stuff) to friction and keep running things or maybe something breaks and you need to keep it running quickly and easily to get you back on the road and hopefully someplace you can fix it.

Friction is actually quite nice and especially for a front derailleur it makes a ton of sense. Being able to adjust things on the fly as you shift in the back to prevent rubbing and noise.

No I am not saying that indexed shifting is bad or anything like that but their is still a great place for friction and not just for "vintage nerds".
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
...the reason the isolated tribes, up the headwaters of the Amazon, are still discussing friction is because of repair parts availability where they live.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 02-04-24, 10:24 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 370 Posts
Trails are tougher, just because the bikes have become infinitely more capable than early MTBs, that's just progress. What would've passed as "XC" terrain about 20 years ago, is now boring to ride unless I'm on my gravel bike. Even what would be classified as technical downhill in the past, is now easily done on my short-travel XC bike. Sure, racing had a part in it, but even recreational riders wanted more capable bikes.

I do race XC MTB, but prefer the shifting on a modern 1x12 for virtually all trail riding...I can up to a trail feature, at speed, and rapid fire some shifts into the "correct" gear. All in a second or two and with zero worry about dropping a chain. I understand that not everyone needs these abilities in a drivetrain, but they're very reliable too. One of my mountain bikes I've had since '19. Many miles of rocky, technical Sierra singletrack on it...the derailleur looks like hell, gouged with rock rash. However, it performs flawlessly...I think I only adjusted the barrel adjuster once since buying it.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 02-04-24, 10:59 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 393 Posts
I don't have a problem with index shifters. If you have slow reaction time to changing terrain, then us them!

I prefer the elegance of friction thumb shifters on all surfaces with a 1x10.
Never had a problem dropping a chain or missing a shift.
Old 02-04-24, 11:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,735 Times in 2,954 Posts
And then there is the Campi Ergo shifters which allow the rider to slam the gears from highest to lowest in one single motion - or anything in between. And as an added bonus, they don’t have to remove their hands from the hoods when hitting a climb or mid-turn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.