Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it weird to ride just on trails?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is it weird to ride just on trails?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 07:13 PM
bobbyl1966

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello how are you. I am sorry for my late reply i be bussy. The trails i ride one is 1 mile. i do twice the ride is boring trail. But is good in case somethink happens to the bike no have walking so far to the car. The other trail i go for ride is hilly most is go up and down hills and downhills that trail is 10 miles long. I do the 20 miles when i go ride in that trail. i parking my truck in the parking lot i go do the 10 miles then i return in my truck that is do 20 miles. That trail have other part too is go in one lake have new part too one go around the lake the other part no have ride yet for i see where is end. one other trail i have go but is 50 miles away from where i live is 60 miles long. My job is 6 miles from where i live but i not feel i ride on the road feels dangerus to me all this cars trucks and no bike lanes
Old 09-26-15, 07:14 PM
bobbyl1966

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is not paranoia inlude me we not want ride on the roads
Old 09-27-15, 02:23 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
All of my recent wipeouts have been on trails and that includes today. The last time I wiped out on the street was in 1984.
Old 09-27-15, 02:38 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How old are you OP?
It's been asked of you several times in this thread and you have not answered.
And based upon your own words and fears it is I believe a relevant question as it could help in diagnosing your fears as you have asked us all to do.
Old 09-27-15, 06:00 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
How old are you OP?
It's been asked of you several times in this thread and you have not answered.
And based upon your own words and fears it is I believe a relevant question as it could help in diagnosing your fears as you have asked us all to do.
21 years old. Don't see how it matters.
Old 09-27-15, 06:06 PM
DreamRider85

I biked some roads again today. Sunday's are bicycle Sunday on Canada Road in Belmont. They close the road, But it's only for a few miles. After reaching the end point, I cycled on Woodside Road and King Mountain Rode. If you're from the area, I'm sure you know about these roads. There were lots of cyclists too, so that was comforting. There was also a lot of bike lanes as well.

So I'm at crossroads. I think I can ride on some roads, but it will have to be a slow transition. Or not even a transition, an addition possibly. I'm not going to stop riding my trails as well.

It wasn't too scary, but that's because there are bike lanes and lots of other cyclists nearby. Also, the scene was pretty nice. Not necessarily better than the trails, but just a change in scene. So I'm not sure what my next step will be.

But I'm having a hard time deciphering the lifetime odds of dying on a bike. Out of 100 percent of the people that die on bikes, how many percent are wearing helmets? How many percent are riding improperly?
Old 09-27-15, 06:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
21 years old. Don't see how it matters.
21?

We asked because you're coming across as though you're about 13 ... or maybe 16 because you say you drive.

Which brings up another point ... you drive???
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...st-way-go.html

You're so concerned about the possibility of an accident while cycling, and yet ... you drive???

Have you ever looked up the stats regarding accidents while driving? How about doing that and comparing them with the stats regarding accidents while cycling?
Old 09-27-15, 06:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
At 68 im thinking its weird to be worrying about It, so Much ..
Old 09-27-15, 06:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

So I'm at crossroads. I think I can ride on some roads, but it will have to be a slow transition. Or not even a transition, an addition possibly. I'm not going to stop riding my trails as well.

It wasn't too scary, but that's because there are bike lanes and lots of other cyclists nearby. Also, the scene was pretty nice. Not necessarily better than the trails, but just a change in scene. So I'm not sure what my next step will be.
Many cyclists do a whole variety of things. We're not locked into cycling in one type of environment or circumstance all the times.

Take this past weekend for example ...

On Saturday, my husband and I cycled on:
-- quiet residential roads with no shoulders or bike lanes
-- busier residential roads with no shoulders or bike lanes
-- a main highway (speed limit: 100 km/h) which has a shoulder most of the way but not all the way
-- busy city streets with no shoulders or bike lanes
-- a gravel trail
-- quieter city streets with no shoulders or bike lanes
-- busy city streets with a bike lane
-- quieter country road with no shoulders or bike lanes
-- busier suburb shopping district with a bike lane and then a shoulder
-- and then finally back onto quiet residential roads with no shoulders or bike lanes

Then on Sunday we rode a 12 km (one way) gravel trail high in the mountains.

You don't have to do one thing all the time.
Old 09-27-15, 07:06 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by Machka
21?

We asked because you're coming across as though you're about 13 ... or maybe 16 because you say you drive.

Which brings up another point ... you drive???
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...st-way-go.html

You're so concerned about the possibility of an accident while cycling, and yet ... you drive???

Have you ever looked up the stats regarding accidents while driving? How about doing that and comparing them with the stats regarding accidents while cycling?
Machka, cycling is my cardio workout. I don't use bikes for transportation. A lot of cyclists I see have cars too. I did bicycle Sunday today and so many of the cyclists wearing jerseys have cars and were even riding together. Isn't that a myth that all cyclists don't have cars?

Yes, driving can be dangerous. But I'm getting from one point to another. With cycling, I'm just further adding more risks if you know what I mean. Now I have 2 things I have to worry about, so now my chances are even higher. You know what I mean? And with a car, other cars can at least see me. With bikes, they say some drivers disregard them and don't like the bikers.
Old 09-27-15, 07:09 PM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by fietsbob
At 68 im thinking its weird to be worrying about It, so Much ..
I started doing a little bit of roads. I don't know how many roads I'm going to do, but I got to expand slowly. I'm having a hard time chilling out.
Old 09-27-15, 07:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Machka, cycling is my cardio workout. I don't use bikes for transportation. A lot of cyclists I see have cars too. I did bicycle Sunday today and so many of the cyclists wearing jerseys have cars and were even riding together. Isn't that a myth that all cyclists don't have cars?

Yes, driving can be dangerous. But I'm getting from one point to another. With cycling, I'm just further adding more risks if you know what I mean. Now I have 2 things I have to worry about, so now my chances are even higher. You know what I mean? And with a car, other cars can at least see me. With bikes, they say some drivers disregard them and don't like the bikers.
No ... no it's not unusual for cyclists to drive.

What is a little frightening, however, is that you drive.

If you are having this much difficulty handling your bicycle ... what are you doing behind the wheel of a motor vehicle?
Old 09-27-15, 07:27 PM
Daniel4

If you do drive, then I hope you give other cyclists on the road proper consideration - especially those that makes you nervous.

Actually by cycling you are reducing the overall risk because driving is the most dangerous of all modes of transportation. And by getting out of your car, you are reducing that risk by one driver.
Old 09-27-15, 07:50 PM
DreamRider85

If you are having this much difficulty handling your bicycle ... what are you doing behind the wheel of a motor vehicle?

Well, I'm reading online that cycling is more dangerous than driving by a little
Old 09-27-15, 07:51 PM
DreamRider85

I'm not having too much difficulty handling my bike though. I just started my road bike last month and am doing a lot of trails and also just started doing certain roads. I'm just saying I'm a bit scarred and am not sure what I should do. I'm not necessarily too scared while I'm doing it, I'm just scarred of it long-term.
Old 09-27-15, 10:46 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No bud.
Based upon your duplicate posts in different forums and completely nonsensical and irrational questions that you ask and then answer yourself it is quite obvious that everyone does not know what you mean.
But as you are a troll I guess that is as it should be lol.
Just plain weird...
Old 09-28-15, 12:46 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by bakes1
No bud.
Based upon your duplicate posts in different forums and completely nonsensical and irrational questions that you ask and then answer yourself it is quite obvious that everyone does not know what you mean.
But as you are a troll I guess that is as it should be lol.
Just plain weird...
Don't even know what you are saying
Old 09-28-15, 07:28 AM
Daniel4

.... I'm just saying I'm a bit scarred and am not sure what I should do. I'm not necessarily too scared while I'm doing it, I'm just scarred of it long-term.
Cycle as if you are driving a slow moving vehicle. Slow moving vehicles have the right to be on the road too. Follow all the rules of the road and dress to be visible.
Old 09-28-15, 08:16 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
You're getting a little stale here, Dreamer. Maybe it's time to pull some new tricks out of your magic trolling hat. Don't let me down.
Old 09-28-15, 09:46 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Okay this thread has run its course. Thanks for playing.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.