Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 06:12 PM
Shutter

Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pstake
Yup.
Sweeeeeeet thx
Old 11-19-12, 01:04 PM
neo_pop_71

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
yours is probably an 88
https://mombat.org/Schwinn_Specs.htm
Thanks man, nice catch, I appreciate the link to the spec sheet!

Best regards,

-D-
Old 11-23-12, 01:40 PM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
Miyata

My 30.00 pawn shop Miyata. Kept the original frame , fork, crank and headset. Everything else came out of my parts at the house. Rides nice and the fatter rubber takes the edge off the chip seal the Texas hwy department is becoming so fond of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
miyata side.jpg (102.0 KB, 1035 views)
miyata front.jpg (92.3 KB, 886 views)
Likes For imabeliever1:
Old 11-23-12, 02:57 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
^ on that i'd be more concerned about the reach which is pretty long already.. depending on what bars you use, the cruising position will be pushed father out because you will be riding in the drops or on the hoods more than the cross bar

a bar with a compact drop or any bar not much extension before the drop would be better for that stem.
+1 On the long stem. Play around with that for a while, lots of options out there. I bet you will be able to dial it in.

I have a similar MTB stem on the Univega I have on the first page (18 inch frame size). I have a larger framed Cimmaron to convert next, probably a 20 inch frame. My plan right now is to use a conventional road stem. We'll see how that goes.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 11-28-12, 02:25 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
TASTEEEE!
I just found this delightful thread via link in the Touring forum (thank you, Frantik). It`s gonna take me a while, but I`ll get through it all eventually. I`m having a hell of a time with the "manage attatchments" thing, hopefully the pics I checked will make it into this post? If not, I`ll take some new ones for this thread.

My bestest friend for the past few years is a 92 Schwinn rigid mtb with drops. I`ve gone to 8 speed and added many pounds of crap to it, and the only parts original to the bike are the seatpost, FD, and brake calipers (original RD was there until it fell apart on my last year and I couldn`t find all the pieces). It gets used for commuting, touring, day rides, and an occasional grocery run. My winter project hasn`t started yet, but it`s going to be a Rockhopper (89, I think) that`ll be sort of a Beastie Lite for unencumbered road rides.
Old 11-28-12, 09:22 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Couldn`t get the pics from my BFnet album to load
Well, I have a better suply of them on my home computer anyway, so lemme try it this way. We`ve had a lot of adventures together!
Attached Images
DSCN1463.jpg (46.4 KB, 894 views)
DSCN1637.jpg (51.5 KB, 927 views)
DSCN2024.jpg (88.4 KB, 930 views)
DSCN2110.jpg (85.1 KB, 896 views)
DSCN2188.jpg (85.4 KB, 881 views)
DSCN2224.jpg (64.5 KB, 887 views)
DSCN2769.jpg (69.9 KB, 918 views)
DSCN3470.jpg (84.5 KB, 877 views)
Likes For rodar y rodar:
Old 11-28-12, 11:58 AM
mainstreetexile 
rain dog

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Nice pictures, looks like you're putting that bike to good use!
Old 11-28-12, 09:38 PM
pcdmiele

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
TASTEEEE!
I just found this delightful thread via link in the Touring forum (thank you, Frantik). It`s gonna take me a while, but I`ll get through it all eventually. I`m having a hell of a time with the "manage attatchments" thing, hopefully the pics I checked will make it into this post? If not, I`ll take some new ones for this thread.

My bestest friend for the past few years is a 92 Schwinn rigid mtb with drops. I`ve gone to 8 speed and added many pounds of crap to it, and the only parts original to the bike are the seatpost, FD, and brake calipers (original RD was there until it fell apart on my last year and I couldn`t find all the pieces). It gets used for commuting, touring, day rides, and an occasional grocery run. My winter project hasn`t started yet, but it`s going to be a Rockhopper (89, I think) that`ll be sort of a Beastie Lite for unencumbered road rides.

It that a paramount 70 series? nice pics too BTW.

Royal
Old 11-29-12, 12:58 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the warm, fuzzy welcome, guys. I did manage to cruise the whole thread and it`s like comming home! None of my riding currently is what I really consider genuine MTBing, but these 80s and 90s rigid mtbs really seem to speak to me- my favorite flavor of bikes
Originally Posted by pcdmiele
It that a paramount 70 series? nice pics too BTW.
It looks very similar, but not so grand. Mine is a 92 Impact Pro, built with house brand cromo. Seems to me the High Sierras from that year also had those kinky "Hetchins-esque" chainstays.
Old 12-07-12, 10:01 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Finally got a handlebar and stem set up that I like. I tried Woodchippers, and Midge bars, but it was the Origin 8 Gary II bar that won the day. Tops, drops, hoods and hooks are all ridable positions on this thing.

Still fine tuning the seat position and bar height but this bike is a lot of fun so far. unfortunately after about 5 miles my hands still start to go numb though.. was hoping a drop bar would negate some of that.

Also need to fiddle with the gearing.. the 52t ring combined with the mtb range cassette causes some pretty big gaps in the gearing. The 39t ring isn't high enough geared to be useful for much where i live, though maybe if i go find some mountains to ride on

Old 12-07-12, 10:23 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
WOW, Frantic, that is one sweet looking Univega. Must not look at my Uni or will be so tempted to do the DB conversion. That frame paint cleaning and wheel choice really set that bike up nice. Like the use of thunb shifters there, how do they function ?

I am gathering parts for this conversion but don't know which bike it will land on. Nice pictorial encouragement !

3SS
Old 12-07-12, 10:37 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
WOW, Frantic, that is one sweet looking Univega. Must not look at my Uni or will be so tempted to do the DB conversion. That frame paint cleaning and wheel choice really set that bike up nice. Like the use of thunb shifters there, how do they function ?

I am gathering parts for this conversion but don't know which bike it will land on. Nice pictorial encouragement !

3SS
+1, that's badass!! You just need to trade those awful thumb shifters for a nice set of 7-speed bar end units (which I just happen to have a surplus of...)

And in the unlikely event that there's someone who isn't sick of this photo yet:

Likes For Chris_in_Miami:
Old 12-07-12, 11:57 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

thanks guys the thumb shifters work fine, though shifting from the drops is a bit weird. I've never tried barcons but i'm not a big fan of the look or having the shifters sticking out like that. I was actually thinking... brifters (gasp) would be ideal

Chris nice.. are those roller cams front and back?
Old 12-08-12, 12:10 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Yes, roller cams front & rear, and they work very well. The bike is an 86 High Sierra.
Old 12-08-12, 12:24 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

pretty sweet
Old 12-08-12, 08:53 AM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
UNi looks great. If you change the crank, a black one might look pretty bad azz on that bike.
Old 12-08-12, 08:56 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 995 Posts

Put this on a few other threads, so why not here too. 1992 Trek 8000, brought back from the dead zone.
Attached Images
IMG_0425 comp.jpg (101.5 KB, 1672 views)
Likes For skidder:
Old 12-08-12, 09:24 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Finally got a handlebar and stem set up that I like. I tried Woodchippers, and Midge bars, but it was the Origin 8 Gary II bar that won the day. Tops, drops, hoods and hooks are all ridable positions on this thing.
Looks great! Glad to see those Gary bars that didn't work for me were of such good use to you. Looking at your frame size versus mine, I can see why I hated them and you love them.

Interesting thing I'm finding a few months after doing my drop bar conversion. My drop bar MTB is getting more use than my Bianchi road bike. I feel slightly guilty for ignoring the hot rod bike. It's just more practical for a lot of riding, especially on city streets, and when I want to take my camera. On night rides, it just soaks up the occasional unseen pothole.

Last edited by Yo Spiff; 12-08-12 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-08-12, 10:41 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
+1, that's badass!! You just need to trade those awful thumb shifters for a nice set of 7-speed bar end units (which I just happen to have a surplus of...)

And in the unlikely event that there's someone who isn't sick of this photo yet:

Whoa whoa whoa... I love that thing and I can't say I recall having seen that! What model? Year? Size tires?
Old 12-08-12, 11:13 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami

Keep bringing it on. I can only hope my 87/88 Cimmaron LE turns out half as nice. Unfortunately, the Cimmaron has marginal paint, but as a garage sale find, I could not resist. I need to pull it back out and finish the rehab/conversion.

IMHO, those black chrome MTBs, along with the regular chrome, are some of the sweetest bikes out there. And they are a terrific value, still greatly underappreciated.
Old 12-08-12, 11:29 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Keep bringing it on. I can only hope my 87/88 Cimmaron LE turns out half as nice. Unfortunately, the Cimmaron has marginal paint, but as a garage sale find, I could not resist. I need to pull it back out and finish the rehab/conversion.

IMHO, those black chrome MTBs, along with the regular chrome, are some of the sweetest bikes out there. And they are a terrific value, still greatly underappreciated.
Pfffft Bill obviously the paint is too bad for you to want to salvage, I know you totally want to ship it to Ca.
Old 12-08-12, 11:33 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
thanks guys the thumb shifters work fine, though shifting from the drops is a bit weird. I've never tried barcons but i'm not a big fan of the look or having the shifters sticking out like that. I was actually thinking... brifters (gasp) would be ideal
Looking good
Haha! I think barcons are pretty ugly too, but I like `em for the utility and put them on all the bikes I plan to hang on to. Thumbies are easy to use on flat bars, but I don`t think they`d be very easy to manipultae on drops. Could be wrong though- maybe I`ll try one that way since they do look cool!

Will be starting my Beastie Lite within the next few weeks. It came with Deore 3 X 7 thumbies. Hmmm...
Attached Images
DSCN4031.jpg (70.4 KB, 884 views)
Old 12-08-12, 01:11 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
UNi looks great. If you change the crank, a black one might look pretty bad azz on that bike.
thanks, and yes i'm looking for a black crankset or at least black rings
Old 12-08-12, 01:16 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Looks great! Glad to see those Gary bars that didn't work for me were of such good use to you. Looking at your frame size versus mine, I can see why I hated them and you love them.

Interesting thing I'm finding a few months after doing my drop bar conversion. My drop bar MTB is getting more use than my Bianchi road bike. I feel slightly guilty for ignoring the hot rod bike. It's just more practical for a lot of riding, especially on city streets, and when I want to take my camera. On night rides, it just soaks up the occasional unseen pothole.
yeah im glad they didnt work for you because i'm really digging them

and the same thing happened to me with MTBs.. i have a nice Ironman but I find MTBs are just so much better suited for city riding. The roads around here are pretty rough so fat tires and slightly relaxed geometry are appreciated.
Old 12-08-12, 02:10 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Great bikes, guys, and I love this thread.

I just rebuilt my 88 Fisher Procaliber from an SS back into a geared bike with a triple.

Gearing on these conversions is a bit of a trick, especially when working with the original 6-speed Uniglide hub. I wanted more flatlandish gears, so I mixed a couple of Uniglide cassettes and went from a 12-26 to a 13-15-16-17-19-22 with a 46-34-24 Deore XT crankset. This allows me to ride the entire cassette in the big and middle rings and gives me gear inches as follows:

46 34 24
13 91.1 67.3 47.5

15 79.0 58.4 41.2

16 74.0 54.7 38.6

17 69.7 51.5 36.4

19 62.3 46.1 32.5

22 53.8 39.8 28.1

Last edited by RFC; 12-08-12 at 02:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.