Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 09:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
No kidding? It sure doesn`t look like 30+ to me.
She'll be thrilled to hear you said that.

Yeah, I even re-weighed it for this thread to make sure. While the Brooks B17 and studded 26"x1.95" tires don't help, I think the frame itself is straight-gauge rather than butted tubing. That's what makes these MTB conversions so tough, though!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-02-13, 10:06 PM
neo_pop_71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Sometimes, the best source for a specific part is a complete bike.
Great point wrk101!

I've bought two 1982 Stumpjumpers, both tig welded pre-lugged frames, in the past month for well below the market value. My only purpose in buying was to rob parts. I know that might sound harsh but these were well used bikes, some stock parts have been replaced by modern garbage. Collector specials they were not by any stretch, but as a daily rider or for parts they are ideal! I've seen a Stumjumper "Bi-plane" fork or a TA crankset go on Ebay for more than I paid for both bikes.
Old 01-02-13, 10:07 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
First problem with brifters is cost. Second problem is that you will need to change out FD to a road version. Myself, part of the exercise was to do a conversion, with a garage sale bike, at minimal cost.

I always use the Suntour friction barcons. Pricing has firmed up quite a bit on them, I am fortunate to have gotten a nice supply before the run up. If you don't mind the additional work, I have gotten a couple of sets off flip bikes, a 1977 Nishiki International for example. The International is not really a touring bike, and the market around here for a bike like that, will not appreciate (or even like) barcons. So I swapped them out with DT levers, which are plentiful.

Sometimes, the best source for a specific part is a complete bike.
Explain the front derailleur issue to me, please.

Also, Suntour bar end shifters were ending sub-$27 a couple weeks ago, regardless of minty condition or not.
Old 01-02-13, 10:10 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I think the frame itself is straight-gauge rather than butted tubing.
do you have the frame sticker still? That's the Ascent right (not Ascent EX) ? The way I remember the better Diamondback models is that they all start with A (in order from best to worst): Axis, Arrival (aluminum), Apex, Ascent EX, Ascent. The Ascent (non-EX) was mid-low in 1987 range though... looks like it's probably crmo main tubes an hi-ten fork and stays

Old 01-02-13, 10:12 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
For some reason the Schwinns of that period, including my High Sierra can't take much more than a 1.95? I have Giant 2.1's on it right now, and it's a VERY tight fit. Like if the wheel went out of true even 1/8", I'd be carrying it home. Why they opted for such a tight rear triangle, is a mystery.,,,,BD
Old 01-02-13, 10:16 PM
Bikedued

Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Great point wrk101!

I've bought two 1982 Stumpjumpers, both tig welded pre-lugged frames, in the past month for well below the market value. My only purpose in buying was to rob parts. I know that might sound harsh but these were well used bikes, some stock parts have been replaced by modern garbage. Collector specials they were not by any stretch, but as a daily rider or for parts they are ideal! I've seen a Stumjumper "Bi-plane" fork or a TA crankset go on Ebay for more than I paid for both bikes.

Are either one of them huge? Like my Cannondale, and High Sierra? I'd love to get my hands on one of those. I almost got a 83-84 lugged Stumpjumper Sport a while back, but the guy backed out. It was supposed to be part of a trade, when I got my Cannondale back after two years. Two bikes for two bikes.

A lugged stumjpumper (TA cranks, etc)is one of my dream bikes. Been looking for one for a while now, and they always seem to escape my grasp at the last second, or I don't have much money, like now. Funny, another of my dream bikes is one of the blue Raleigh Professionals with the silver accents. Maybe I have a thing for light metallic blue?,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 01-02-13 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-02-13, 10:26 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by Bikedued
For some reason the Schwinns of that period, including my High Sierra can't take much more than a 1.95? I have Giant 2.1's on it right now, and it's a VERY tight fit. Like if the wheel went out of true even 1/8", I'd be carrying it home. Why they opted for such a tight rear triangle, is a mystery.,,,,BD
yeah i have that problem too.. i get rear tire rub with the Kenda K838s sometimes even when the wheels are true. the fat "lip" on the k838s may actually be wider than 1.95.. sounds like a job for my digital caliper
Old 01-02-13, 10:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
do you have the frame sticker still? That's the Ascent right (not Ascent EX) ? The way I remember the better Diamondback models is that they all start with A (in order from best to worst): Axis, Arrival (aluminum), Apex, Ascent EX, Ascent. The Ascent (non-EX) was mid-low in 1987 range though... looks like it's probably crmo main tubes an hi-ten fork and stays
Oops, I forgot to mention that the sticker says "Tange cro-moly" on the fork and seat tube. Good steel for sure, but there's no mention of it being butted to save weight.

I'm guessing that they decided to upgrade the specs on the Ascent (non-Ex) at some point, since mine also had a Deore crank with 48-38-28 Biopace rings. Many of the components have 1987 or 1988 date codes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-02-13, 10:43 PM
Bikedued

I have some Tioga Psychos with skinwalls, that I may try to throw on it. They're not so wide. Hopefully the tall knobs won't catch on the roller cam, cams.,,,,BD
Old 01-02-13, 11:04 PM
neo_pop_71

Hey all-

Here would be a great frame for a dirt drop build and it's the nice "good guy" price of $40.00! The frame is a Terranaut touring frame, lugged steel, Japanese made, and double eyelets front and back. The Terranaut was the house brand for The Touring Cyclist Bike Shop(s) in St. Louis. My buddy picked one up cheap years ago and it's still his main bike, he loves it! The double water bottle bosses on the down tube remind me of my '85 Ritchey Timber Comp... to be honest the whole bike feel like a Ritchey knock off (geometry, almost "Bi-lane" fork).

Here is the info (phone number included):
[h=2]Terranaut Touring Frame Vintage Lugged Steel 55cm - $40 (Rialto/Fontana)
This is a 1980s Terranaut frame. It's designed for 26 inch wheels and cantilever brakes. It looks perfect to be used as a mountain bike or as a touring bike (reminds me of some of Rivendell's heavier duty offerings). Terranauts were the house brand of a bicycle shop in St. Louis. It's a pretty sturdy frame that looks very versatile. Comes with the tires, wheels set, bottom bracket, seat and seat post. Pretty much everything you see in the photo. This bike could be made into an awesome off-road/on-road tourer or adventure bicycle. It has lots of eyelets for fenders and racks. The seat tube is about 55cm and the top tube is 58cm. The chain stays appear to be 46cm. I'm not sure what the stand over is exactly, but it was comparable to my other two bikes and they had a stand over of 809mm.
CAll or text at 951.565.6949.
[/h]
Forgive me mods... I know this should go in the Craigs forum but since this is specifically related to a dirt drop build, please forgive me and let it slide. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Terranaut01.jpg (42.0 KB, 1190 views)
Terranaut02.jpg (989 Bytes, 1242 views)
Terranaut03.jpg (1,010 Bytes, 1239 views)
Terranaut02.jpg (23.5 KB, 1147 views)
Terranaut03.jpg (27.4 KB, 1128 views)
Old 01-02-13, 11:35 PM
Bikedued

VERY tempting!! Looks to be close to what I need size wise. I doubt the standover is 31, with a head tube that long. Stranger things have happened though. It would get Mountech, friction thumbies, and bullmoose bars if I had it though? It looks too cool, especially in orange, to not go back original style.,,,,BD
Old 01-05-13, 08:39 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
what a deal on the bike!
Old 01-05-13, 09:50 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by realestvin7
Explain the front derailleur issue to me, please.

Also, Suntour bar end shifters were ending sub-$27 a couple weeks ago, regardless of minty condition or not.
MTB FDs have different cable travel than road FDs. MTB RDs have the same cable travel as road RDs. Shimano brifters are designed for road derailleurs.

Suntour barcons on ebay:

These ended yesterday for $60, are nice condition, but not NOS:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntour-Bar-...p2047675.l2557

Another pair ended yesterday for $35 shipped.

This set went on New Year's Eve for $55.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntour-3090...p2047675.l2557

And the winner, $85 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/suntour-bar-...p2047675.l2557

I missed the winner, $119.55 shipped for NOS!! I've got a NOS set, in the original packaging, I need to put them out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntour-Barc...p2047675.l2557

Note, some went for less, typical ebay. $27 or less is pretty unusual, and you will see me buying them if I see them.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-05-13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-05-13, 11:07 AM
neo_pop_71

Note, some went for less, typical ebay. $27 or less is pretty unusual, and you will see me buying them if I see them.
Oh man, now I see Bill... you're the reason why I've never landed a good deal on Barcons... you're gobblin' them up!!!
Old 01-05-13, 12:26 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just to muddy the water, I currently am running a compact double road crankset, dura ace 10 speed brifters, and a mountain bike triple FD with the limit screws adjusted properly. Works pretty darn good.
Old 01-05-13, 02:21 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Yeah, I even re-weighed it for this thread to make sure. While the Brooks B17 and studded 26"x1.95" tires don't help, I think the frame itself is straight-gauge rather than butted tubing.
I didn`t notice the studded tires in your pic. When I have them on my commuter it feels like I`m towing a Winnebago up the hills!

Originally Posted by YoKev
Just to muddy the water, I currently am running a compact double road crankset, dura ace 10 speed brifters, and a mountain bike triple FD with the limit screws adjusted properly. Works pretty darn good.
Is that bike already starring in this thread? If it is, I need to go back and look for it- so many I can`t keep track. It sounds interresting.
Old 01-05-13, 03:35 PM
neo_pop_71

Yeah, me too... hey, YoKev, can you give a link if you bike is already posted. If it's not, I'd love to see some pics of the bike and the drivetrain.

Thanks!

-D-

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 01-05-13 at 03:37 PM. Reason: type'o
Old 01-05-13, 05:17 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
Hey all-

Here would be a great frame for a dirt drop build and it's the nice "good guy" price of $40.00! The frame is a Terranaut touring frame, lugged steel, Japanese made, and double eyelets front and back. The Terranaut was the house brand for The Touring Cyclist Bike Shop(s) in St. Louis. My buddy picked one up cheap years ago and it's still his main bike, he loves it! The double water bottle bosses on the down tube remind me of my '85 Ritchey Timber Comp... to be honest the whole bike feel like a Ritchey knock off (geometry, almost "Bi-lane" fork).

Here is the info (phone number included):
Terranaut Touring Frame Vintage Lugged Steel 55cm - $40 (Rialto/Fontana)
This is a 1980s Terranaut frame. It's designed for 26 inch wheels and cantilever brakes. It looks perfect to be used as a mountain bike or as a touring bike (reminds me of some of Rivendell's heavier duty offerings). Terranauts were the house brand of a bicycle shop in St. Louis. It's a pretty sturdy frame that looks very versatile. Comes with the tires, wheels set, bottom bracket, seat and seat post. Pretty much everything you see in the photo. This bike could be made into an awesome off-road/on-road tourer or adventure bicycle. It has lots of eyelets for fenders and racks. The seat tube is about 55cm and the top tube is 58cm. The chain stays appear to be 46cm. I'm not sure what the stand over is exactly, but it was comparable to my other two bikes and they had a stand over of 809mm.
CAll or text at 951.565.6949.

Forgive me mods... I know this should go in the Craigs forum but since this is specifically related to a dirt drop build, please forgive me and let it slide. Thanks!
So that's about 21-5/8" seat tube, 22-7/8" top tube. Very tempting indeed, if I didn't already have two 1985 Peugeot Canyon Express's. Those 18" chainstays are ideal for mounting a rack and some big panniers. That's a screaming deal for my area - most of what we have here is dept. store junk or overpriced for what it is. Hmmm, how can I justify another bike?
Old 01-05-13, 05:50 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not mine, and not vintage, but I think a lot of your guys might appreciate this mindboggling C-dale Badboy that a an mtbr member (username sakurama) posted last year in the commuter subforum. I wish he had a blog or something I could link to, but I don`t see anything like that in his signature, so the only way I know to show his bike here is like this.
Attached Images
DSCF3928-X2.jpg (44.2 KB, 648 views)
DSCF3933-XL.jpg (30.6 KB, 645 views)
DSCF4788-X2.jpg (48.2 KB, 688 views)
Likes For rodar y rodar:
Old 01-05-13, 05:55 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

guy's missing half his fork!
Likes For frantik:
Old 01-05-13, 06:38 PM
neo_pop_71

Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Not mine, and not vintage, but I think a lot of your guys might appreciate this mindboggling C-dale Badboy that a an mtbr member (username sakurama) posted last year in the commuter subforum. I wish he had a blog or something I could link to, but I don`t see anything like that in his signature, so the only way I know to show his bike here is like this.
Yep, for a modern bike, that's a pretty slick set up! I'm especially interested in the anchored cable junction, that's a really tidy way to keep your housing low and tight.

Thanks for sharing!

-D-
Old 01-05-13, 06:39 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
guy's missing half his fork!

That ain`t nuthin. Check out the roadie forum where a lot of guys are missing half their spokes

EDIT: Neo-Pop, that`s a converter of some kind to work hydraulic brakes with the Ergos.
Old 01-05-13, 06:57 PM
neo_pop_71

Terranaut touring steal of a deal

I certainly don't need a bike but I've said that plenty of times before picking up another... that Terranaut is very tempting and is still available. The seller and I exchanged a few messages and I did verify the availability. I'm trying to talk myself out of driving and picking it up (gas prices too high, traffic is lousy, not eco friendly for a specific long trip in my truck) and I'm quite proud that I've resisted this many days, especially since I've been off work for the holidays. If for some reason I have a need to head an hour east of my home, I'm going to pick up that sweet deal on my way! I don't want another project! One of you need to hurry up and buy it from the guy, c'mon one of you must have a family member or in-law that live near Fontana (or as I like to call it, Fontucky) in the Inland Empire!

Someone... anyone???

-D-
Old 01-05-13, 09:43 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
If I knew someone in the area that could pick it up and ship it I'd probably take it. I don't need it either, but I like it and I don't have anything similar.

I certainly don't need a bike but I've said that plenty of times before picking up another... that Terranaut is very tempting and is still available. The seller and I exchanged a few messages and I did verify the availability. I'm trying to talk myself out of driving and picking it up (gas prices too high, traffic is lousy, not eco friendly for a specific long trip in my truck) and I'm quite proud that I've resisted this many days, especially since I've been off work for the holidays. If for some reason I have a need to head an hour east of my home, I'm going to pick up that sweet deal on my way! I don't want another project! One of you need to hurry up and buy it from the guy, c'mon one of you must have a family member or in-law that live near Fontana (or as I like to call it, Fontucky) in the Inland Empire!

Someone... anyone???

-D-
Old 01-05-13, 10:24 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

Someone... anyone???

-D-
Definitely a deal.

Reminds me, I really need to pull out the Rocky Mountain bike I have in the basement. Needs a complete repaint. But its a pretty interesting frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.