Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New tourer - 1x vs 3x

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New tourer - 1x vs 3x

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 09:41 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by chief9245
I did grades of up to 14-16% for over ten miles.
Wow, that's 7400 to 8400 feet of elevation gain! (Reference: the climb to the top of Mount Evans,△6590 feet over 27 miles, is the greatest elevation gain road ride in the continental US).
Old 01-27-24, 09:58 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Wow, that's 7400 to 8400 feet of elevation gain! (Reference: the climb to the top of Mount Evans,△6590 feet over 27 miles, is the greatest elevation gain road ride in the continental US).
There's roads in California off the PCH that just wind through the mountains for miles and miles. Going through the Santa Ynez to get back to the coast was no joke. Some grades through the Cascades were a good 10% for over 10 miles.

Winding through these all day, mostly dirt, hit grades of 16%, for the average it was 10%. Californias' hills are no joke.
Old 01-27-24, 10:33 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
I thought I responded to this, must have been a different thread. I went through three chains. Cassette needs to be changed out now, that was a 10-42 SRAM XG-1150 and the chainring was a 38t Wolftooth that definitely needs changing.
I love the arguments and all the data people throw out with 1x, 2x, 3x, belt drive, and Rohloff hubs. There's so many variables...age, fitness, mechanical ability, etc. I did three mountain ranges, hundreds of miles of trails, sand, dirt, rock, tarmac, and hundreds of miles of desert, the whole gamut. The PCH is tougher than a lot of mountains out there, but what a treat! I did grades of up to 14-16% for over ten miles. And I'm 58. Ride what makes you happy, don't let anyone tell you x is better than y. Touring is about the experience, whether good or bad, and a learning experience. This was the first tour I ever did, and for the next, I wouldn't change a thing, I love my 1x setup.
yup, you did respond elsewhere. I did replay, mostly saying that the mileage you got out of a chain, probably about 5000kms, 3000 miles, is actually pretty good. I suspect a big part of that is because you take care of your drivetrain, and you didnt ride in the rain a lot. I know a couple who did the Divide Ride, and they completely wore out their 11 spd chains in the first 1000kms, just from the conditions , grit etc and doing long long days where for sure their chains were pretty gritty and stuff for a long time.

re the PCH, I did this back in '94 and yup, it was way harder in my memory than the summer before when I rode a lot of the Pyrenees mountains, between France and Spain. The kicker with the PCH was the steep downs/steep ups all the time. And then the occasional long long climbs that I wasnt expecting...but cool place, yup.

re 1x , your setup worked great, I hadn't realized the cassette is a 10-42, that really helps with having a reasonable top gear. Up here in Canada, these cassettes are pretty darn pricey though, $225 + tax, about $260 total, so at least its important for folks to be aware of the increased costs of the more special cassettes. Probably not a big factor in the big picture, but could be a factor for some folks and perhaps moreso if traveling in places where it would be harder to get parts, but thats a whole other topic too with lots and lots of variables also.
Old 01-27-24, 11:02 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
There's roads in California off the PCH that just wind through the mountains for miles and miles. Going through the Santa Ynez to get back to the coast was no joke. Some grades through the Cascades were a good 10% for over 10 miles.

Winding through these all day, mostly dirt, hit grades of 16%, for the average it was 10%. Californias' hills are no joke.
I have a super clear memory from 30 years ago somewhere on one of those inland sections going down the PCH, on a big honker downhill with a slight tailwind and hitting 80kph or 50mph and it was totally calm and not concerning at all, good pavement, no traffic, no sidewinds, good line of sight.
No clue where it was, just remember going inland a lot and up and up, and then down and down.
I used to race motorcycles a bit and am comfortable at speed on two wheels, but I certainly wasn't expecting to hit a high speed like that on a "coastal ride", just as I wasnt expecting the arse kicking from all the climbing.
Old 01-27-24, 11:51 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Originally Posted by djb
I have a super clear memory from 30 years ago somewhere on one of those inland sections going down the PCH, on a big honker downhill with a slight tailwind and hitting 80kph or 50mph and it was totally calm and not concerning at all, good pavement, no traffic, no sidewinds, good line of sight.
No clue where it was, just remember going inland a lot and up and up, and then down and down.
I used to race motorcycles a bit and am comfortable at speed on two wheels, but I certainly wasn't expecting to hit a high speed like that on a "coastal ride", just as I wasnt expecting the arse kicking from all the climbing.
It was worth every painful mile; the views were indescribable and the people I met were amazing. Plus, camping along the PCH is a breeze and probably the most affordable with the hiker/biker sites. I want to go back and do it all again, it was the most dangerous, painful, exhilarating road I've ever been on.
Old 01-27-24, 12:01 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
.... Plus, camping along the PCH is a breeze and probably the most affordable with the hiker/biker sites. I want to go back and do it all again, it was the most dangerous, painful, exhilarating road I've ever been on.
Hmmm, I have been wondering where to go this coming year. I did Astoria, OR to San Francisco, CA in 2014. Maybe I should do a repeat?
Old 01-27-24, 12:11 PM
chief9245

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Hmmm, I have been wondering where to go this coming year. I did Astoria, OR to San Francisco, CA in 2014. Maybe I should do a repeat?
The most incredible, beautiful road in America, in my opinion. Start at Cannon beach in Oregon and go all the way to Chula Vista. It's a good 30 days and over 100,000 feet of climbing. A truly epic ride.

I mean come on, this is from a 5 dollar hiker/biker campsite. 5 bucks for a multi-million dollar view.
Old 01-28-24, 08:38 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts

I use to live in that area, rode my bike all over that region. There was a race I did several times, going taking 154 from Santa Barbara to just past Los Olivos down the 101 to I think it was Refugio Rd, somewhere around there we had to get off 101 because bikes weren't allowed past a certain point, so we got off and took Calle Real back to Santa Barbara. This was back in the late 70's a lot has changed since then around those areas. There were a lot of those roads up in those mountains I rode and trained on. Lovely area, but it was too expensive to stay there.