Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steel Frame Bike Options?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Steel Frame Bike Options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 02:32 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Norco section steel

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2019/pav...steel-ultegra/
Old 09-06-19, 09:04 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Some "interesting" stem and bar setups here.
Old 09-07-19, 03:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10995 Post(s)
Liked 7,519 Times in 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by sumgy
Some "interesting" stem and bar setups here.
Since you rehashed the thread to just say this, can you list specifics? Not really seeing setups that are egregiously 'off'.
Old 09-07-19, 03:42 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Since you rehashed the thread to just say this, can you list specifics? Not really seeing setups that are egregiously 'off'.
Old 09-07-19, 03:59 PM
sumgy

The Guru's setup is also "interesting".
Old 09-07-19, 04:52 PM
diff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
All City Zig Zag
Surly Cross check
Surly long haul trucker
Surly midnight special
Surly straggler

Bikes Direct also as those bikes will always have the best value.
Old 09-07-19, 04:56 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by diff
Surly midnight special
Love the look of this bike, but the price for a mass-produced steel frame is pretty steep.
Old 09-07-19, 05:09 PM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It is funny because for $2500 you can get a brand new motorcycle lol. Like a 250cc or so easy.

Bikes in general are just overpriced and you pay for the name.
Old 09-07-19, 05:14 PM
sumgy

It is funny because for $2500 you can get a brand new motorcycle lol. Like a 250cc or so easy.

Bikes in general are just overpriced and you pay for the name.
And it is not like the buildkit is high-end either.
Cheap wheels, stem, post, saddle.
Mid level groupset.
Old 09-07-19, 05:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

breezer venturi pic
I guess if the bars were rotated down a slight bit it would look more stock.
Seems pretty insignificant to me, but ok then.
Old 09-07-19, 05:37 PM
sumgy

I guess if the bars were rotated down a slight bit it would look more stock.
Seems pretty insignificant to me, but ok then.
Looking again, the bikefit is very poor, or the bike is the wrong size.
Old 09-07-19, 06:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I thought that those were known for really odd geometry or something. IIRC, those frames were available for a song for a while, but people had trouble making them fit.
Old 09-07-19, 06:39 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I thought that those were known for really odd geometry or something. IIRC, those frames were available for a song for a while, but people had trouble making them fit.
Seems so based on those pics.
Old 09-07-19, 07:25 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
The Breezer's top tubes were especially long.
Were being blown out on nashbar at one point.
Could ask chaadster, if I remember correctly.
Old 09-07-19, 07:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Yup- they are long and low with a steep hta.

A 52cm had something like a 55.5cm top tube, a short head tube, and a 74deg hta.
A few years ago I thought about buying a frameset for my oldest daughter and holding it until she was older. Framesets dropped to $270 or so at bikewagon/jenson/nashbar. Dont remember where.
Couldn't pull the trigger based on predicting what would work in the future due to the wonked geometry.

Crazy good deal for anyone that fit the geometry.
Old 09-08-19, 08:39 AM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
And it is not like the buildkit is high-end either.
Cheap wheels, stem, post, saddle.
Mid level groupset.
Its not that bad. The frame is 650 and complete is 2000 (surly midnight special). A sram rival hrd 1x groupset is around 850?

Leaves 500 for a wheelset, seatpost, saddle, stem, drop bars, bottom bracket, headset, and brakes. Then additional items like cables, bar tape, tubes, and tires.

Was considering just getting a frameset and building it. But there is some definite savings on a complete. Enough to not consider building it up from a frameset. I could add up around 2000 + 850 for groupset + 650 for frameset. Up to 3500. Maybe bump up the groupset to sram force, and a better wheelset. Easy to cross 4k on a custom full build. Will just spend the 2k on a complete and then upgrade as needed.

Now the color. White.

Maybe the frame and fork could be 100 or 200 cheaper, but dont see how you can get much cheaper when comparing to the complete price.

Last edited by diff; 09-08-19 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 05:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Its not that bad. The frame is 650 and complete is 2000 (surly midnight special). A sram rival hrd 1x groupset is around 850?

Leaves 500 for a wheelset, seatpost, saddle, stem, drop bars, bottom bracket, headset, and brakes. Then additional items like cables, bar tape, tubes, and tires.

Was considering just getting a frameset and building it. But there is some definite savings on a complete. Enough to not consider building it up from a frameset. I could add up around 2000 + 850 for groupset + 650 for frameset. Up to 3500. Maybe bump up the groupset to sram force, and a better wheelset. Easy to cross 4k on a custom full build. Will just spend the 2k on a complete and then upgrade as needed.

Now the color. White.

Maybe the frame and fork could be 100 or 200 cheaper, but dont see how you can get much cheaper when comparing to the complete price.
The full build uses a promax stem and seatpost, inexpensive $35 saddle, and trp spyre brakes. Inexpensive pinned rims and plain gauge spokes too.

$650 for the frameset.
Quality handbuilt wheels for $450(h plus son hydra rims, double butted spokes, bitex hubs- for example). 105 hydro groupset for $675 from Merlin. Quality tires for $80(multiple options). Brand name bars, seatpost, stem, and tape for $150 total. $70 for a good saddle.

This means a build from home would cost $2075 and give you higher quality wheels, a cockpit that's lighter and fit to the rider, higher quality brakes, 2x for road+ riding, and a saddle you like.

A home build buying online retail can essentially cost the same as the complete bike(or less if you search for sales), yet have higher level components and be fit to the rider(stem length and angle, type of bar bend and width, seatpost offset).
not sure how the full build is a good deal when looked at in comparative detail.

But there is a convenience factor of not knowing/having to build a bike for sure. That's worth some $ to many people, and the full build would look much better then.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-08-19, 06:04 PM
diff

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I wouldn't need a stem, seatpost, or saddle.
Also would need a headset (~$150 for a kris king), and brakes. Seems BB usually comes with the groupset.

Its the groupset that is the killer. Cant seem to find a 105 1x for sub 700. But will search around for a bit.
Old 09-08-19, 07:20 PM
sumgy

A home build buying online retail can essentially cost the same as the complete bike(or less if you search for sales), yet have higher level components and be fit to the rider(stem length and angle, type of bar bend and width, seatpost offset).
not sure how the full build is a good deal when looked at in comparative detail.
Yep, a home built should definitely cost more than an off the shelf bike built with inexpensive parts.
There is one of these sitting on my local Facebook Marketplace.
He has hardly ridden it and wants about half of what he would have paid for it.
I am so tempted to grab it, but I have lots of other priorities to manage currently.
Old 09-09-19, 06:18 AM
Leaa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! That bicycle looks great and the background even better, perfect for an afternoon ride I would say.
Old 09-09-19, 06:20 AM
Leaa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that it looks like the frame size is too small. It doesn't match with the sizes of the components like stem and seatpost at this moment.
Old 09-09-19, 07:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Funny timing for this thread and comment as I pretty much just finished building up a steel gravel road frame. The fit will not look 'proper' as it has more spacers than what is trendy, but it fits quite well overall. Once the stem I like is back in stock(guessing a month or two), thatll go on and Ill figure out the end fit. Im guessing itll probably be how it looks now in terms of spacers though.

Edited to add- the stem is 15mm lower than what was preliminarily set. Rode it over 60mi of gravel, doubletrack, pavement, and level b roads- it fits as expected.
A bike needn't look traditional in fit to be comfortable and perform better than the rider needs.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 09-16-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 09:13 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with Sotherland bikes? They are close to me, and I may be very, very interested.

https://www.sotherlandbikes.com/

It says they use True Temper OX platinum tubing, but I thought True Temper stopped making bike tubing a few years ago. Perhaps they just have lots of leftover stock (or else use a different tubing. I have an email out to them now).
Old 09-09-19, 10:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
Has anyone had any experience with Sotherland bikes? They are close to me, and I may be very, very interested.

https://www.sotherlandbikes.com/

It says they use True Temper OX platinum tubing, but I thought True Temper stopped making bike tubing a few years ago. Perhaps they just have lots of leftover stock (or else use a different tubing. I have an email out to them now).
Ive read about the builder before, but no experience with him or the bikes.
He used to build in the Paramount shop and worked for Schwinn(not sure if those were at the same time or at different times). He owns a bike shop in addition to the frame building.
Traditional 1" head tube frames are what he prefers, so I moved on from my cursory search.

As for OX tubing- it could be that he has a ton of old stock. Or it could be that he hasnt updated the website and uses vari-wall which sort of took up the domestic steel void left by TT. Or it could be that he hasnt updated the website and now uses tubes from Reynolds, Columbus, Kaisei, Variwall, or Dedacciai.
Old 09-09-19, 03:21 PM
sumgy

Funny timing for this thread and comment as I pretty much just finished building up a steel gravel road frame. The fit will not look 'proper' as it has more spacers than what is trendy, but it fits quite well overall. Once the stem I like is back in stock(guessing a month or two), thatll go on and Ill figure out the end fit. Im guessing itll probably be how it looks now in terms of spacers though.
With both the amount of seatpost and spacers showing, I think that you could have gone for a larger frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.