Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Short, Simple, Commute Club

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The Short, Simple, Commute Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 07:07 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I'm going in the opposite direction. I have a quick-ish 7 mile one-way commute now; rumor has it our office will be moving to a new location later this year that will ad 4-5 miles each way. That's still not all that far.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-09-09, 07:12 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's got a trigger shifter.
I'm reserving judgment of the fenders until I ride in the rain with them, which could be on the way home this evening...which is also pretty much mostly up hill.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-09-09, 07:18 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I'm going in the opposite direction. I have a quick-ish 7 mile one-way commute now; rumor has it our office will be moving to a new location later this year that will ad 4-5 miles each way. That's still not all that far.
I put the Topeak rack on the rear for a reason. If I decide that riding still gets me too sweaty to wear my work clothes, I can get their rear basket and just throw my backpack with clothes/lunch into that...which is what I was planning to do on rainy days anyway. I might get a wicker basket as well...so I can GET YOUR LITTLE DOG TOO!!

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 06-09-09 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-09-09, 08:19 AM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Bikes: Trek Soho S

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Got the new bike this past weekend and used it for the commute this morning. My lights have not yet come in for it, so I just threw one of my PB Superflashes on the back of the rack trunk for now.

For the ride in I wore a pair of RailRiders Yukon pants, merino wool boxers, a poly golf shirt, thin smartwool socks, my regular work shoes and my sunglasses - no cycling-specific clothing, shoes, gloves, etc.

My commute is 4 miles of rolling terrain. I tried to take it easy and spin up the rollers in a much lower gear than I would on my other bikes, while pretty much coasting down. The Alfine IGH 8 speed has plenty of gear range for the terrain.

The last mile is mostly downhill, which is nice for a cool down. When I got into work, I had worked up a little sweat, but really no more than if I had walked a mile rather than rode 4.
Man, that is a pretty bike, and I don't think there's anything I would actually upgrade (obviously I'd add Dyno lights and a rack, but saddle, handlbars, grips, fenders, tires everything looks great). That makes for a heck of a value proposition when you don't have to swap parts to get it just how you want it.

Hey, did you happen to mention anyplace how much it set you back? Raleigh lists "$$$$$ = 700 - $1,100 general price range" and I don't have any Raleigh dealers close enough to go look around. However, there are some that may be worth looking into.
You don't need to dress up like a spandex super hero to ride your bike.
Old 06-09-09, 08:39 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmitch
Man, that is a pretty bike, and I don't think there's anything I would actually upgrade (obviously I'd add Dyno lights and a rack, but saddle, handlbars, grips, fenders, tires everything looks great). That makes for a heck of a value proposition when you don't have to swap parts to get it just how you want it.

Hey, did you happen to mention anyplace how much it set you back? Raleigh lists "$$$$$ = 700 - $1,100 general price range" and I don't have any Raleigh dealers close enough to go look around. However, there are some that may be worth looking into.
I got it for just over 1k. I bet if they replaced some of the frills with cheaper equivalents (saddle, grips, fenders, chain guard, etc) they could get the price down to something that would make it more attractive for the average commuter.
Old 06-09-09, 08:59 AM
kris247

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmitch
Also, just found this I suspect it might feel "cheap and plasticy" though...
I bought that same vest from my local running store, and it is cheap and plasticky. I'm tend to think I'm an average sized guy -- I typically wear medium shirts or the occasional small -- and it feels big and baggy around my torso. I even had the tie knots in the waist band so that the vest wouldn't bounce when I ran. And, surprisingly, it's somewhat hot. The white reflective material traps sweat, so you get bands of sweat alternating up and down your back and chest.

I know a lot of runners who use this the Amphipod Xinglet. It's amazingly reflective for how small it is -- way more so than the teamestrogen.com vest -- but it's design definitely isn't backpack/mess bag friendly.

The Illumnite demos looks pretty amazing, but I haven't seen any of their clothes in-person yet. I figure I'm going to have to buy a jacket eventually, so that might be a good option.
Old 06-09-09, 09:32 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Well, I've got my simple commute bike together (no fenders, no rack, no kid-conveyance hitches, no ... gears!). Took it for some shakedown spins this weekend but no chance to actually commute on it until Thursday (wife is going to drive that day so I don't need to trailer the daughter uphill in the pm after she trailers her downhill in the am)
Old 06-09-09, 01:15 PM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Bikes: Trek Soho S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kris247
I know a lot of runners who use this the Amphipod Xinglet. It's amazingly reflective for how small it is -- way more so than the teamestrogen.com vest -- but it's design definitely isn't backpack/mess bag friendly.
That does look pretty nice / slick / light
You don't need to dress up like a spandex super hero to ride your bike.
Old 06-09-09, 06:54 PM
Nole302
carbureted legs

Bikes: 2003 Steel Fuji Finest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride about 2 miles to school, and 2 miles back. My girlfriend and I have a class together, and I beat her home everytime . I have a cheapy 1980's road bike (just broke a friction shifter) with fenders. Summertime in FL it will be sunny when you go inside your class and be raining by the time you get out. Fenders are a must for me.
Old 06-10-09, 10:39 AM
KitN
Female Member

Bikes: Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kris247

Thanks! Nice find. I want something small that I can pack away in my seatbag and pull out just before dusk and at night. This looks promising.