Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 08:23 AM
1911bg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been riding the heck out of my 2017 DS 2.I have had it for just a little over 7 wks and have 740 miles on it.GREAT bike.
Old 08-13-17, 03:59 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Karmajack
Greetings DS folks.
I'm heavily considering getting a DS for my next bike. This may have to wait til spring, but I'm trying to finish all my planning stages now as I'm anxious. Before I pull the trigger, there's a few things I need to narrow down.
Is this really the ideal bike for me?
Which DS version to get? Definitely not a 1, likely a 2, maybe a 3 or 4. Are the upgrades in versions worth it to me at this point?
My backround...I've only been riding for a few months. I'm 42, 5'8", about 200lbs. My current bike is a Schwinn Connection (Walmart 700c Hybrid). I got that unsure if I'd really get into cycling. Now I'm hooked and wish for a real bike. I ride mostly paved and crushed gravel MUPS for leisure activity. Longest trip so far was 40 miles. I want to average about that or slightly less on outings. I see myself eventually doing some lite MTB trails as I hear there's some good ones nearby.
The LBS carries mainly Trek and Specialized so I figure it will be between those two brands. I've also considered the FX and Verve, but would rather have some front suspension, and something perhaps faster than the Verve. Also want something more versatile. That lead me to the DS line.
So back to my questions. Does the DS line sound right for me? Is it worth it for me (as a beginner) to look more into the DS3 or 4 over the DS2?
Thanks for any input.
Your story sounds about identical to mine, even including the department store Schwann hybrid. I even came here and asked very similar questions. The Dual Sport sounds right for you. I bought a Neko 2 (which did the women's dual sport) about 2 months ago and I love it so far. The Verve is super comfortable, and I would have taken a 2016 verve in a heartbeat but I didn't like the changes that were made for 2017 on the tires and suspension fork.
Old 08-13-17, 04:32 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does the DS line sound right for me? Is it worth it for me (as a beginner) to look more into the DS3 or 4 over the DS2?
Thanks for any input.
I have the DS4 and ride very similar trails you're on and would highly recommend the DS line. But don't fool yourself into thinking that the DS3 or DS4 requires any greater skill to ride than the DS2. The main differences will come in the components that are on the bike and even as a beginner you will appreciate "better" components. Take a look at all of the models of bikes you like and consider first how they feel and how comfortable the ride is as that is most important thing. Then consider things like colors of the bikes and the "upgraded" features from one version to the next within its series and if it's something you want and are willing to pay for. I got the DS4 because it had the features I wanted in a color that I liked but I was on the fence between that and two other bikes. I cant remember why I chose the DS4 over the others and I haven't thought twice about it since I bought it either.
Old 08-15-17, 07:24 AM
clarkbb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedals

Looking to get aftermarket flat pedals for my DS2. Hoping to keep it around $50-$60 and my main concerns are larger surface area than the ones it comes with and smooth bearings. What are your thoughts?
Old 08-15-17, 08:14 AM
1911bg

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought these on ebay for $47 delivered.I love them!
Old 08-15-17, 08:31 AM
jim66

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooke1687
Your story sounds about identical to mine, even including the department store Schwann hybrid. I even came here and asked very similar questions. The Dual Sport sounds right for you. I bought a Neko 2 (which did the women's dual sport) about 2 months ago and I love it so far. The Verve is super comfortable, and I would have taken a 2016 verve in a heartbeat but I didn't like the changes that were made for 2017 on the tires and suspension fork.
Holy cow you took the words right out of my mouth. I was looking at the Verve after buying one for my wife in '16 (which she loves) but did not like the newer version. I went with the DS4. Coming from a Schwinn to the DS was an enlightening experience. $150 to 1K there better be a difference, but I did not realize what I was missing.

One thing to consider, if you are 99% on nicely paved roads, the DS may be a little slow. I love my bike but do see the limitations of a hybrid. I fit nicely within them and cannot see myself getting a full on road bike for a while if ever. I am too old (not really) to go the mountain route. Some light trails ok, but full on heavy trails, are not on my agenda.
Old 08-15-17, 09:17 AM
jbw57

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 3 / 2016 Felt Z85

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clarkbb
Looking to get aftermarket flat pedals for my DS2. Hoping to keep it around $50-$60 and my main concerns are larger surface area than the ones it comes with and smooth bearings. What are your thoughts?
I recently added the Shimano MX-80 flat bar peddles on my Trek DS3.....I like the large surface area much better, on the stock one's I felt as I needed to adjust my feet often due to the more narrow profile of the stock peddle. The comfort level is much better with the larger surface area of the Shimano. I like the sealed bearings, there smooth and I thought I read you can get internal parts from Shimano to rebuild them if need be but not 100% sure, never the less I would just buy a new set when that time comes. I also like the grip of these peddles, my feet feel secure at all times, never a hint of my feet moving around or slippage of any kind. All in all I enjoy the Shimano's and there priced at about $60
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shimanomx80.jpg (92.2 KB, 307 views)

Last edited by jbw57; 08-15-17 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-15-17, 11:05 AM
jase33

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbw57
I recently added the Shimano MX-80 flat bar peddles on my Trek DS3.....I like the large surface area much better, on the stock one's I felt as I needed to adjust my feet often due to the more narrow profile of the stock peddle. The comfort level is much better with the larger surface area of the Shimano. I like the sealed bearings, there smooth and I thought I read you can get internal parts from Shimano to rebuild them if need be but not 100% sure, never the less I would just buy a new set when that time comes. I also like the grip of these peddles, my feet feel secure at all times, never a hint of my feet moving around or slippage of any kind. All in all I enjoy the Shimano's and there priced at about $60
I have the MX-80 pedals and absolutely love them. I have wide feet and the large surface area of the pedals really keep things comfortable.
Old 08-15-17, 12:04 PM
jbw57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jase33
I have the MX-80 pedals and absolutely love them. I have wide feet and the large surface area of the pedals really keep things comfortable.
and I think there one of the better looking peddle too, also the Brantager pictured above is nice too
Old 08-16-17, 09:17 PM
Garnone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bags

I'm wanting some opinions on frame/saddle bags. Just came back from a bikpeaking trip and loved it, but my friends and I are wanting to maybe extend time out next go around. I used a Osprey Talon 22 on this last trip which worked really well. Stayed nice and tight and very supportive on the trails. Just maybe need a little more cargo room.
Old 08-16-17, 09:38 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Still no word on 2018 models.
Old 08-17-17, 08:02 AM
jim66

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
There are some showing up, was on the site last night. Looks like more electric models than last year.
Old 08-17-17, 01:09 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jim66
There are some showing up, was on the site last night. Looks like more electric models than last year.
I am mulling whether to buy an FX or a DS and was on the corporate site this morning to make notes. I ended up compiling a spreadsheet to compare the 2017 and 2018 prices and as I entered numbers I realized there are, or at least was not at the time, any 2018 DS models showing.

That was at 5:00 am, but it may be entirely different by the time I get home from work this evening.

Budget wise my decision boils down to whether I want to buy an upgraded FX at a certain price, or back down the model lineup two steps on the DS to justify the $$ for the suspension fork.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 08-17-17, 08:00 PM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I'm only seeing 2018 DS's on non American bike shop sites. Like this one.

All the spec's are listed exactly the same as the 2017's. Either there's been no change, or the sites are just using 2017 info.

I'm really thinking I narrowed my choice down to the 2017 DS 3. I think I prefer the color scheme a bit more over the DS2. LBS has both in my size. I'm my planned ride for Saturday is a rain out, I might head over there and check em out.

Is there any small immediate upgrades I should consider? Like pedals, saddle, grips?
My current bike has a steerer extender and more upright riding position. Which I like. I'm considering either doing that on the DS as well or maybe 25 or 40 degree Blendr on it...If I have an issue with the stock position.
Old 08-17-17, 09:08 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

I'm only seeing 2018 DS's on non American bike shop sites. Like this one.

All the spec's are listed exactly the same as the 2017's. Either there's been no change, or the sites are just using 2017 info.

I'm pretty sure that sites are just using 2017 info, but I don't know if that is because Trek themselves are not going to make any changes or if they are just calling it 2018 stock so that the buying public who is unaware, is not put off by this.

Is there any small immediate upgrades I should consider? Like pedals, saddle, grips?

Pedals almost certainly, saddle likely and grips, I'm not sure what the grips are like on the DS 3's, but I think Trek has a non-standard diameter length on their handlebars, so putting on something like Ergon grips may not be possible.

My current bike has a steerer extender and more upright riding position. Which I like. I'm considering either doing that on the DS as well or maybe 25 or 40 degree Blendr on it...If I have an issue with the stock position.

Those 20 & 40 degree angled stems are a great idea, I notice the 120mm are currently either out of stock or not being offered and with an angle that steep, I think one would need a longer stem.
Old 08-17-17, 09:13 PM
jbw57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently bought a DS3 and enjoy it very much.....although I did test both the DS3 & DS4, to me there wasn't much difference between the two, maybe I don't know enough what to look (feel) for. Both shifted nice and clean, ride position was the same.....only thing I noticed was the brakes were a smidge more responsive on the DS4 but splinting hairs there. The DS4 does have a few components that are a level above the DS3 components but I really couldn't say one was better than the other hence the reason for choosing the DS3.

I too wanted just a bit more upright position and swapped out the 90mm / 7 degree stem for a 90mm / 17 degree stem, that was a nice adjustment, also got rid of the peddles and went with Shimano MX-80 and that was a huge improvement over the stock one's. I did change the grips to the Ergon but the grips on the DS3 arn't bad and the stock saddle really sucked, went through a few and settled on a Terry liberator Y Gel which is not like most of the Gel saddles I tried, which were way to soft, this one is pretty firm at least to me it is and seems to support my seat bones well. Being that this was my first real bike in a long while and had the funds to do either DS models, I spent a fair amount of time evaluating both the DS3 & 4 models and just couldn't justify spending the extra money. What I've noticed with many bike manufactures is they really market at every price point with little difference between the components, they may be different and a notch up spec wise but the differences regarding the performance is not much until you go two or three levels up......anyway maybe if I were more experienced my views would be different.

Last edited by jbw57; 08-17-17 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-18-17, 05:58 AM
jase33

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@jbw57 You are very right in saying there is not much of a difference between the DS3 and DS4. I went with the 4 mainly because of color and the remote lockout on the fork. For me that was a huge item being that I ride on and off pavement frequently during my rides and having the control on the handle bar is important to me. Was it worth the price difference? In my opinion the component differences were not worth the cost. But the convenience of them were. And in the end I swapped out the drive train and wheels with parts I already had to make my rides better for me.
Old 08-18-17, 06:16 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
My local Trek store (actual Trek concept store) recently replace the showroom 2017 teal Neko 1 with a matte black model. I don't think this color was available for the 2017 models, so I'm thinking it a 2018. It's beautiful. So with that being said I'm assuming the 2018 are coming soon. I'm in the store like 2x a week so I'll ask next time I'm in there.
Old 08-18-17, 08:31 AM
Karmajack

With the 2018's phasing in, do you think it would be wiser for me to wait a few weeks to go in for a '17?
Currently the 2017 DS3 on the Trek site is $879.99. My LBS has it listed for $749.99. That may be already discounted, but there's other bikes marked clearly on sale or discounted prices at the shop 's site.
Old 08-18-17, 09:00 AM
jbw57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Karmajack......My LBS did 20% off on my DS3 with 20% off on accessories at time of my purchase with 10% off on anything there after.....I thought that was a good attempt to earn my business plus they spent all the time I needed answering my many noobie questions also letting me test ride all the bikes I wanted during the whole buying process. The $749 seems a fair price and if you like the bike, sales guy and shop I'd say go for it.
Old 08-19-17, 05:50 PM
Karmajack

So I went for an early ride this morning to try and beat the expected rain at noon. Got 11 miles out and the rain came early. Turned around and cruised back to the trail head in the rain, soaking wet. My Samsung Gear Fit 2 is ruined I think. My first cycling experience in the rain, and I didn't like it.
Came home, took a shower and changed. Decided I'd go the the LBS since my ride time was rained out.
Walked out with the DS3!

Immediate upgrade was the Wellgo pedals. I also got a Bontrager fast clip wedge seat pack. The Ion 800 light, and a Specialized Roll Bottle Cage. The Lezyne Co2 kit, and Phone mount I already had. Not shown is the Charge Spoon saddle which came in the mail today, and the Cateye computer that I hooked up after the pic was taken.

I opted not to get a different Stem with more rise, as the bike felt totally comfortable as is. I do think I will eventually get some Ergo 5's though.

So once I got the bike in order, the rain had past. I went to approximately where I left off on the trail, and put in another 18 miles on the DS3.
WORLD OF DIFFERENCE coming from a wallyworld Schwinn. Super comfortable, faster, shifting is a breeze, breaking is smooth, and hills were a more forgiving.
So happy and glad to join the DS club.

PS, there was no sign of 2018 DS's at the shop.
Likes For Karmajack:
Old 08-19-17, 07:25 PM
jbw57

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Karmajack.....congrats on the new ride, looks great!
Old 08-19-17, 11:33 PM
jase33

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Karmajack Good looking bike and welcome to the club! Enjoy!
Old 08-20-17, 05:23 PM
tomt5078

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Karmajack........I got the Blue - just loved the color......Just replaced the back tire - with all the road and pavement I drive on it was gone in less then 4 months!!!!!
Old 08-20-17, 07:06 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

So I went for an early ride this morning to try and beat the expected rain at noon. Got 11 miles out and the rain came early. Turned around and cruised back to the trail head in the rain, soaking wet. My Samsung Gear Fit 2 is ruined I think. My first cycling experience in the rain, and I didn't like it.
Came home, took a shower and changed. Decided I'd go the the LBS since my ride time was rained out.
Walked out with the DS3!

Immediate upgrade was the Wellgo pedals. I also got a Bontrager fast clip wedge seat pack. The Ion 800 light, and a Specialized Roll Bottle Cage. The Lezyne Co2 kit, and Phone mount I already had. Not shown is the Charge Spoon saddle which came in the mail today, and the Cateye computer that I hooked up after the pic was taken.

I opted not to get a different Stem with more rise, as the bike felt totally comfortable as is. I do think I will eventually get some Ergo 5's though.

So once I got the bike in order, the rain had past. I went to approximately where I left off on the trail, and put in another 18 miles on the DS3.
WORLD OF DIFFERENCE coming from a wallyworld Schwinn. Super comfortable, faster, shifting is a breeze, breaking is smooth, and hills were a more forgiving.
So happy and glad to join the DS club.

PS, there was no sign of 2018 DS's at the shop.

Great looking bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.