Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your classic sports touring bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your classic sports touring bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 07:23 PM
gorillagirl

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-1, Chris Chance road, 1981 Trek 710, 1982 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I guess I wasn't absorbing the marketing much when "sports touring" was a thing so I hadn't really thought about it, but after reading the criteria in this thread I realized that most of my vintage bikes are sports tourers. For now I'll just post a picture of the one that's set up that way, my 1982 Specialized Sequoia:

I had to remove some material from the front fender to get it to fit between the fork blades, and these 700x32 tires are a tight fit with the front fender. Maybe it needs smaller wheels....
I have Compass Loup Loup Pass extralight tires on my 82 Sequoia. Plenty of room. I advise you to follow your instincts
Old 04-12-17, 08:44 PM
S28546

Bikes: 1984 Trek 420L mixte, 1997 Trek 720 Multitrack, 2013 Velo Orange Polyvalent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Not sure if this fits the "sport tourer" category as it looks touristy, but it was marketed as a randonneur, so that is sportish isn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0708.jpg (67.3 KB, 920 views)
Old 04-12-17, 11:09 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillagirl
I have Compass Loup Loup Pass extralight tires on my 82 Sequoia. Plenty of room. I advise you to follow your instincts
Well then you're just the person I need to talk to! I just ordered the pieces for a set of 650B wheels, but I hadn't decided which bike they'd end up on yet. I've been trying to decide between the Loup Loup Pass and the Babyshoe Pass. Do you think there's room for the Babyshoes on a Sequoia? Also, what do you think of the ride with the Loup Loups?
Old 04-13-17, 02:29 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Great question; go ahead and post it and explain why you think it belongs here. Waterfords are obviously beautiful bikes. The vast majority of bikes with cantilevers aren't really sports touring bikes; they are either touring bikes (and there is along thread for those) or cross bikes (there aren't a lot of vintage cross bikes out there). But it looks like your bike doesn't have the longish wheelbase of a true touring bike so go ahead and post, .
Absurd.

For Cannondale Sport Touring bikes the frames were identical from the ST400 to the ST1000 with the difference being the ST800/1000 having cantis I believe. The ST800 with three water bottle cages, front and rear racks, and front and rear fenders, Brooks or Ideale saddle, with the Superbe Pro rear derailleur with the long GT cage and triple crank is a sleeping giant. It is a stronger frame than any then contemporary steel touring frame. It will survive being overloaded well beyond the point that any steel touring bike could manage before the down tube or top tube risks wrinkling. Overloading a steel touring bike ultimately lead to busting a lug, ignoring the frame flex that would make he bike almost unrideable and make steering/tracking just dangerous. Yep throw 400+ pounds of gear on a Cannondale ST frame and it won't blink. Try that with any steel touring bike and the chain stays and bottom bracket flex will have the rear tire rubbing. Steel touring bikes are like trucks with no effective payload, they can carry stuff if it doesn't weigh anything.

Yet that overloaded Cannondale ST can shed the panniers, remove the fenders and racks, fit some narrower tires at higher pressures, and then go on a competitive fast group ride. That Cannondale frame is going to be lighter, stiffer and faster than EVERY bike in vintage race bike peloton. All other things being equal, like fitness, it will sprint like a rocket, climb like a goat, and hammer like a runaway freight train on the flats compared to the Pinarellos, Merckxes, Cinellis, Olmos, and Colnagos in that vintage group. All things being equal, in terms of cyclists, and it wins every sprint, every climb, and every race in that group.

So that ST with cantilevers isn't a sport touring bike even though it is a better race bike than then contemporary steel steeds? Just because some ST 800/1000s came with actual racing components like Superbe Pro but with cantis too?

Please.

There is no difference between an ST 400 or ST 800 but price point, components, and calipers versus cantis. Yet the canti clad bike is faster than then contemporary steel race bikes, and a better stronger touring bike than anything else. But it can't be in your sport touring group? Why? It's faster and more capable of "sport" than any short reach common era vintage lightweight caliper steel race bike. In fact it's not even close.

All things equal, it would climb Alp d'huez finishing as the stage leader in 1983...then swap tires put the racks, fenders, panniers and the load back on to transition to the next stage town. If that ain't a sport tourer what is?

Brembo calipers and slotted and drilled rotors don't make a Ram truck with the same V-10 block, as in the Viper, a sports car! It's still just a truck.

So I'll offer an alternative spec:

Fits wide tires/racks (front AND rear)
Longer wheel base
Most be able to climb/sprint/accelerate like a race bike

Which means we're talking about...

huh, that leaves a handful of Kleins and Cannondale Sport Touring bikes. Bonus points if the racks, panniers, seat bags, handlebar bag, frame bags and backpack and sleeping bag are all vintage/classic Cannondale too.

Cause everything else is just everything else. There were and are not peers to the performance potential of Cannondale Sport Touring bikes. If they were Italian or Belgian they'd all be the Stradivarius bikes of C&V, and priceless.

Worthy of Campy Record 10 speed bits, just with the long cage and triple front derailleur choices

Last edited by mtnbke; 04-13-17 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-13-17, 08:46 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Another long, bizarre, anti-steel rant from mtnbike! I expect no less.
Old 04-13-17, 09:44 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
Another long, bizarre, anti-steel rant from mtnbike! I expect no less.
He ONLY uses aluminum for his hats.
Attached Images
tin foil.jpg (7.2 KB, 884 views)
Old 04-13-17, 10:51 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
Absurd.

For Cannondale Sport Touring bikes the frames were identical from the ST400 to the ST1000 with the difference being the ST800/1000 having cantis I believe.
Technically, except for the ST400, those are full blown touring bikes. ST stands for Super Touring, not Sport. Says so right in the Cannondale catalog. The ST400 with caliper's is sport touring (says so right in the catalog). Just saying, don't get upset.
Old 04-13-17, 08:07 PM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Technically, except for the ST400, those are full blown touring bikes. ST stands for Super Touring, not Sport. Says so right in the Cannondale catalog. The ST400 with caliper's is sport touring (says so right in the catalog). Just saying, don't get upset.
Yeah…you couldn't actually be more wrong. Actually I suspect you know you're wrong, but tried to sneak in a narrow contextual example that completely runs contrary to what EVERY Cannondale frame started out as! So either you're just wrong, or as I rather suspect, you were being actually intellectually dishonest and disingenuous.

When Cannondale brought the aluminum bicycle frame to levels of production before unseen by small volume builders like Cunningham and Klein market in 1983, the aluminum bicycle frame was called from the very beginning:

(wait for it)

https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1983/1983S.pdf

Every Cannondale started as a Sport Touring bike. Its what ST means and meant. Until they changed it that is. While every original Cannondale and ST bike is still a better race bike than any vintage lightweight steel bike, even with its longer wheelbase, it will prove itself to climb better, accelerate quicker, and jump in a sprint harder. Not bad for a Sport Touring bike. A better touring bike, and a faster race bike than any…well, race bike.

Every Cannondale was a Sport Touring, from the very beginning.

Read the 1983 Catalog where they introduce "the long awaited Sport Touring" bicycle. Yes later catalogs reference other variance in language, but ST for Cannondale always meant Sport Touring. The bikes didn't change, just some of the marketing material.

https://vintagecannondale.com/year/1983/1983.pdf

Congratulations in digging through the catalogs to try to find one nuanced example running contrary to the very history, reveal, and branding of EVERY initial bike. Alternative facts are popular these days. I see you're a fan.
Attached Images
1983Si.jpg (10.3 KB, 832 views)

Last edited by mtnbke; 04-13-17 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-13-17, 08:34 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Yeesh. Some people here really like bikes, but I guess some others really hate them too.
Old 04-13-17, 09:38 PM
echo victor 
bicyclatte!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by S28546
Not sure if this fits the "sport tourer" category as it looks touristy, but it was marketed as a randonneur, so that is sportish isn't it?
Well, setting aside recent debate on the matter of what constitutes "sport touring" ... I think of rando/audax/sportive frames as being very similar to sport touring frames. I think many frame designers would say the chain stay length is a good indicator, so you could go by that if you like.

I think your bike looks like a pretty cool sport touring bike.

Edit: Also, welcome to the forums!

Last edited by echo victor; 04-13-17 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-14-17, 04:45 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Yeah…you couldn't actually be more wrong. Actually I suspect you know you're wrong, but tried to sneak in a narrow contextual example that completely runs contrary to what EVERY Cannondale frame started out as! So either you're just wrong, or as I rather suspect, you were being actually intellectually dishonest and disingenuous.
Holy cow you have some serious anger management issues. Do you have hissyfits in real life when people disagree with you over a freaking bicycle? I even asked you to not get mad because I suspected you were the hypersensitive type.

Cannondale must have realized that their full on touring bikes were not sport tourers because they corrected their mistake

Now explain why they have the ST800 listed as a touring bike and, separately, the ST400 is listed as a sport touring bike? Hmmm?

Old 04-14-17, 09:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Absurd.
What is actually absurd is such a long and angry sounding post in response to someone who simply offered up a generalization for a category of bicycles, and then happily encouraged another member to post a picture of their bike.
Old 04-14-17, 10:10 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
The @mtnbke troll is back! Can't say we missed you.
Old 04-14-17, 11:18 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
The @mtnbke troll is back! Can't say we missed you.
You're just not willing to accept that your bikes suck and MTN knows more about what you should like.
Old 04-14-17, 11:40 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
You're just not willing to accept that your bikes suck and MTN knows more about what you should like.
I guess I've missed a bunch of 'MTN trolling' since I've relegated his posts to 'ignore' -- or maybe not!
Old 04-14-17, 11:51 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
To me, a 'sports-tourer' is a frame with chainsays long enough ...that allows more than one finger-width between seat tube and tire -- let's say enough for fenders and... A full-on-dedicated tourer allows three... Who is with me???
Old 04-14-17, 12:44 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This was supposed to be a thread with pics but then it got a bit blown up by one of my favorite BF posters,

I have a bit of a thing going with Trek sports touring bikes. They really pushed the idea of geometry specific bikes (racing, touring, and sports touring). Plus I worked in a shop that sold a lot of Treks in the 80s so I really like the bikes. They're well made, have great paint jobs, and as easy as pie to work on. Here's a 1978 Trek 510 I picked up as found in the wild (full ishiwata 022 frameset and low temp silver brazed). I'm getting a kind of suntour vibe from this bike. I think it needs cyclone or vgt derailleurs and bar cons, a B17 saddle, plush 32c tires, and a triple:
Attached Images
Trek510.jpg (98.1 KB, 1492 views)
Old 04-14-17, 02:44 PM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
I'm going to move this forward with a 1981 Trek set up as a sport tourer. Please don't yell at me...

Old 04-14-17, 02:45 PM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This was supposed to be a thread with pics but then it got a bit blown up by one of my favorite BF posters,

I have a bit of a thing going with Trek sports touring bikes. They really pushed the idea of geometry specific bikes (racing, touring, and sports touring). Plus I worked in a shop that sold a lot of Treks in the 80s so I really like the bikes. They're well made, have great paint jobs, and as easy as pie to work on. Here's a 1978 Trek 510 I picked up as found in the wild (full ishiwata 022 frameset and low temp silver brazed). I'm getting a kind of suntour vibe from this bike. I think it needs cyclone or vgt derailleurs and bar cons, a B17 saddle, plush 32c tires, and a triple:
Looks great. I see Cyclone too...
Old 04-14-17, 02:49 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by swen0171
I'm going to move this forward with a 1981 Trek set up as a sport tourer. Please don't yell at me...

I really dig that Trek chestnut color. I'm thinking of painting the 1979 510. The paint job is pretty solid on it (the paint on the downtube is pretty scratched up--you can't see it in the pic because it's on the other side--but that's easy to fix) but I'm bored with blue and I really like that chestnut color. But then it's only original once.
Old 04-14-17, 03:47 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Good thread, lot of very nice bikes here. I never considered any of my bikes as sports tourers except for an '83 Trek 620 I just sold to a friend. After reading through I get it now. Here's my '75 Motobécane Grand Jubilé I rigged as a randonneur. I've posted a couple of other photos of it around, it's a recent build and I'm still enamored.

Old 04-14-17, 04:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Cannondale should do some repops on their luggage. They'd look good on pre-1983 steel sport touring bicycles.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-14-17, 05:45 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Love my Cannondale handle bar bag on my 77 Le Tour II. Wish I could find a blue one now.

Re pop idea sounds great!
Old 04-14-17, 05:50 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
Here's my '75 Motobécane Grand Jubilé I rigged as a randonneur.
A very nice one indeed. The Grand Jubile could even be called the ur sport-tourer that inspired the genre.

Then again most of the old French constucteur bikes were really set up as sport tourers too. To some degree sport tourer, randonneur and audax all mean the same thing.

Anyhow, I shall enter my Mercian, classic but not vintage, as seen below. Even though this is technically a full touring bike, it is set up and used as a sport bike. All it needs to tour is for me to bolt on the rear rack and attach a handlebar bag. That makes it a sport tourer right?

Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 04-14-17, 09:56 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 982 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Anyhow, I shall enter my Mercian, classic but not vintage, as seen below. Even though this is technically a full touring bike, it is set up and used as a sport bike. All it needs to tour is for me to bolt on the rear rack and attach a handlebar bag. That makes it a sport tourer right?

This is a beauty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.