Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do You Do Charity Rides and How To Encourage People

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do You Do Charity Rides and How To Encourage People

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 08:27 PM
LanghamP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ironwood
Healthcare and medical research are too important to be dependent on charity. I don't think it is right for someone to become very rich by running a charity,
The USA's biggest charities are very good at not being charitable while enriching both the directors and the people who contribute.

Another tax loophole.

Donor-advised funds are invariably the charities you hear about when some billionaire gives money to charity, but the money just seems to be given to friends and family on the payroll.
Old 07-03-18, 10:03 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've done exactly one charity ride. I'd consider doing one again if it were fairly low-cost and a bunch of my friends were going. For example, the local Lions Ride for Sight is around $20, and it's pretty no-frills. (I also use their drinking fountains all the time and feel a bit of an obligation.)

Originally Posted by ironwood
I still consider a ride to the Cape is a simple ride, I did it many times when I was younger..
This is how I feel about many of the supported, non-competitive events: I can do the same ride, self-supported, and save my money for something else. I don't need the t-shirt or socks or beer or, really, the organized snack stations or SAG. I spend enough money on this hobby as it is, and prefer to give in other ways that are independent of cycling.

But if a big organized event is the impetus for some financially well-off folks to support a good cause, more power to them!