Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

2014 Race Results Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2014 Race Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 06:15 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
CCCCCCX race, same as the other guys - 1/2/3's. 8? laps, 90 minutes total.

5th.

Attacks going here and there, 2 laps to go, and some old guy from a team nobody recognized rode away. Didn't seem like a threat, but I put in work on the front to keep it in check.. guy got away and eventually won, damn.

Main marked guy flatted out, left 6 or so of us racing for 2nd. At the top of the last roller before the line I was 3rd wheel. Nobody had jumped yet, and with 200m to go I jumped and tried to hold it.. couldn't.. legs gave out about 20m before the line, 3 guys came around.

1 more point in the bucket, and $20. And I hung with some biggish dogs of the norcal peloton, so that was cool too.
lol. your podium shot is on my facebook feed! have fun with the old guy who rode away, he just moved from my area to yours. his wife won the women's race, she's my team mate. they're great bicycle racers and even better people.
Old 06-29-14, 06:31 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
lol. your podium shot is on my facebook feed! have fun with the old guy who rode away, he just moved from my area to yours. his wife won the women's race, she's my team mate. they're great bicycle racers and even better people.
Ha small world! Yeah he's a nice guy, I talked to to him a bit after the race.

Good to hear someone has the podium pic, the guy with my phone couldn't operate it in time to get a snap..

my race videos
Old 06-30-14, 07:00 AM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the guy with my phone couldn't operate it in time to get a snap..
Wut? He's fired!

Congrats on another good result!!
Old 06-30-14, 07:01 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Hunter Classic RR (NY state champs). Result: no idea!

Mixed 35+/45+ field, about 70 racers, lots of strong guys so my goal was to finish with the front group, which I did (2 guys were off the front). Maybe 20th place on the road, but scoring was a mickey mouse parade and by the time I left they had only scored the top 16, the 45+ bronze was not among them.
16th place, 8th in the NY state medals competition. The winner was an 8-time national champion.

Overall a very positive experience. Masters racing is the best, smooth and fast and confident. There was a lot of contact, bumping and pushing, but all completely under control and confident -- sort of like the whole pack collectively organizing itself, rather than guys shoving through gaps. There was literally no yelling, just occasional conversation. And it was a real confidence builder to be right there with the big boys at the finish.
Old 06-30-14, 07:03 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
16th place, 8th in the NY state medals competition. The winner was an 8-time national champion.

Overall a very positive experience. Masters racing is the best, smooth and fast and confident. There was a lot of contact, bumping and pushing, but all completely under control and confident -- sort of like the whole pack collectively organizing itself, rather than guys shoving through gaps. There was literally no yelling, just occasional conversation. And it was a real confidence builder to be right there with the big boys at the finish.
urban legend? I don't see anything to indicate that at all.
Old 06-30-14, 07:53 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
urban legend? I don't see anything to indicate that at all.
I count 6 here including 2013, and here it says he won 7 national championships prior to 2013.

I'm not the guy's publicist though, if it turns out that's bunk, then that's fine.
Old 06-30-14, 08:03 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Oh. I saw different results that had his teammate winning.
Old 06-30-14, 08:12 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
His teammate won the 35+, combined field. The two of them were off the front. BS won the 45+ and overall.
Old 06-30-14, 08:23 AM
ips0803

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some old guy from a team nobody recognized rode away. Didn't seem like a threat, but I put in work on the front to keep it in check.. guy got away and eventually won, damn.
Lol, sounds like it didn't take either of them very long to introduce themselves out there in CA.

They are good people, miss riding with them.

Matt, you're in the podium with the Squadra kit? Good race.
Old 06-30-14, 08:42 AM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brownstown RR
Cat 1/2/3 - 8th in Cat 3's

First road race for me as a cat 3, which was supposed to be 10 laps on a 5 mile rolling loop. I wasn't so worried about the distance, just making sure I stayed hydrated and fueled to not crash in the last 2 laps.

Race started out at a gentle pace and a group of 5 went up the road. Half way through lap 2 and the motobike neutralizes us to let the 45+ masters pass. We get going again and they gave the break 20 seconds. The break sprinted at the restart and the group just got up to speed gently. Before we knew it the break had almost a minute gap. With 6 to go, myseld and a couple other went to the front to help real in the break and by the time we came around to the start/finish with 5 to go we were within 7 seconds, but we got neutralized again due to a crash in the first corner. So we sat around for 15-20 minutes until we got restarted and the official says the break will get a 15" advantage! We tried to protest saying there was no way, but he wasn't listening. And to make things worse because of the time wait they were cutting it down to 3 more laps instead of the 5 we had.

The break gets restarted and as we are waiting I notice one of the Cat 1 racers track standing getting ready to go. As soon as the wistle blows we are full gas. My legs were hurting from the sudden effort, but we were determined to not let the break stay away. I put in a dig with 1 to go, but we were quickly caught and 2 miles from the finish we caught the break. 400 meters from the finish and there is a crash in the middle of the group and I had to hit the brakes to avoid it. Sprinted to catch back on then sprinted again for the finish. Finished 11th or 12th overall and 8th in the 3's.
Old 06-30-14, 10:52 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by rideaz
Wut? He's fired!

Congrats on another good result!!
fired indeed! he was all "matt what's your password?!" while we were doing the podium. i even yelled it out but it wasn't in time lol.. guess he didn't know you can just swipe up.

anyway thanks - it was a fun race, and was glad not to let teammates down too much. if I'd only waited longer to sprint! or sprinted better..

my race videos
Old 06-30-14, 11:04 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^I cant figure out how to get the podium pic off of fb to send to you via a bikeforums pm, so if you want to friend me to access just send a PM, I don't want to send out my name on the board because I'm afraid jsutkeepspinning will track me down when he moves to DC in the fall .
Old 06-30-14, 12:02 PM
mattm
**** that

Thanks, but no big deal - I can live without the podium pic.

The ones I really cherish is when I'm on top!

my race videos
Old 06-30-14, 12:21 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
The ones I really cherish is when I'm on top!
twss
Old 06-30-14, 12:25 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Right, Fitchburg 3/4.

What a crazy weekend, culminating in the marquee (and worst-attended, oddly) event of the Longsjo crit series. It started off with a guy causing me to fall over while we were rolling out for staging. Probably partly my fault, but a guy suddenly stopped right in front of me, I was overbalanced on my clipped-in side, and down I went. This is relevant because I landed on my right side and bent my RD hanger, so my shifting was effed before the race even started. The shifting issues were super-distracting, eventually I found myself a gear that was (barely) acceptable for the uphill home stretch and downhill back stretch and just left it there. 53x16, by the way.

My legs were feeling a bit better than the day before, but I let the shifting issues take my head out of the game, and that let me get a bit sketched out by some of the iffy riding I saw around me. Which didn't help my own smoothness, argh. At one point late in the race, I got caught up behind a crash. I saw the bars tangle up ahead of me and was on the brakes before the guy even hit the ground, which allowed me to stay upright even though I had to come to a full stop (I actually hit the shoes of the guy on the deck with my front wheel). We were only 100 meters or so from no longer having a free lap (6 to go), so I was able to get back in and finish the race. Not much else to say about the result though.

Now that I'm done with that, it's time for a break! It's been a real roller coaster of a season and I was never in very good shape, mentally or physically. So I'm rebuilding for 'cross season at this point. Still, I'm glad I finally got to race Fitchburg, actually liked the course quite a bit. I will probably be back next year, hopefully with some better legs and a lot more confidence.
Old 07-04-14, 10:16 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Davis 4th of July Crit.

E3 Pack finish out of like 30 or so.

Not a lot to report, I raced super passive. Tried one last ditch effort on the last lap and had a guy situp in front of me on turn 5 of 6. Great.

Overall, today was a bloodbath. Lots of crashes in pretty much every field. It's a technical course and there isn't a lot of space to move up, so people may have been taking some extra risk to improve position. There were a couple of 300m straight sections, but both were into the wind and it seemed people opted to make moves through corners.
Old 07-04-14, 11:57 PM
mattm
**** that

Davis crit.. went down hard.

luck has run out!!

my race videos
Old 07-05-14, 12:03 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Almost went down in CAT4. Some Religy or whatever team tried somewhat unsafe pass, and took out a guy he was trying to pass. That almost took me out. On next lap I saw him pulling out and shouted that he caused that crash. I think he started to swear at me. Whatever.

Anyway top end is gone. Was third wheel going in to final lap, but with half to go just couldn't hang on. Finished just outside of 10. I guess I'll use the races to work on it.

I loved the course thought, because it is technical. Going in to turn 2 is a nice place to pass, and in to 4 before 5.

Last edited by UmneyDurak; 07-05-14 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-05-14, 12:08 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Davis crit.. went down hard.

luck has run out!!
Bummer...I thought I saw your bike (I'm neurotic with equipment) being wheeled around and not by you during the race you were supposed to be in. Cracked? I think there were about 3-4 more crashes in the P12 in the last 10 minutes of the race.

Heal up, but it sounds like you'll be out for a while.

Last edited by hack; 07-05-14 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-05-14, 12:10 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Almost went down in CAT4. Some Religy or whatever team tried somewhat unsafe pass, and took out a guy he was trying to pass. That almost took me out. On next lap I saw him pulling out and shouted that he caused that crash. I think he started to swear at me. Whatever.

Anyway top end is gone. Was third wheel going in to final lap, but with half to go just couldn't hang on. Finished just outside of 10. I guess I'll use the races to work on it.

I loved the course thought, because it is technical. Going in to turn 2 is a nice place to pass, and in to 4 before 5.
Heard a lot of yelling and profanity in your race and then a guy rode through a front lawn for no apparent reason. Seemed to be a bit of a mess.
Old 07-05-14, 12:14 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by hack
Heard a lot of yelling and profanity in your race and then a guy rode through a front lawn for no apparent reason. Seemed to be a bit of a mess.
Really? lol.
Was he wearing a CAL jersey?

Hmm haven't heard too much profanity, just the usual safety guy. "Hold your line" blah, blah, blah.
Some guy got annoyed with me because "I dived a corner after passing on outside." Except I was just following a nice curving arch, and a guy in front of me, and there was enough room on inside to squeeze a car through. People can be so dramatic.
Old 07-05-14, 12:18 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Davis 45+. Helped a teammate by letting him get into a three man break, then I and some teammates sat on the front a bit. So, I basically won it for him, right? Anywho.... I normally am pretty smug about my safer masters fields, but today there were two crashes right in front of me I miraculously avoided. One guy went over his bars into a wall of haybales. Needed to ride a skid fixie-hipster-style on that one. Probably halved the life of my race tubulars but somehow managed to stay upright.
Old 07-05-14, 12:22 AM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Really? lol.
Was he wearing a CAL jersey?

Hmm haven't heard too much profanity, just the usual safety guy. "Hold your line" blah, blah, blah.
Some guy got annoyed with me because "I dived a corner after passing on outside." Except I was just following a nice curving arch, and a guy in front of me, and there was enough room on inside to squeeze a car through. People can be so dramatic.
Yeah, I had my back turned so I didn't see who it was from or to whom it was directed, but there were some angry mother f bombs and references to talking after the race. This was over near turn 5.
Old 07-05-14, 12:24 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Yeah, I had my back turned so I didn't see who it was from or to whom it was directed, but there were some angry mother f bombs and references to talking after the race. This was over near turn 5.
Well no one talked to me after the race, so I guess it wasn't at me. lol.
Oh if it was the CAL guy that rode in to someones lawn, he just recently upgraded form 5s. I talked to him briefly before the race.
Old 07-05-14, 12:30 AM
mattm
**** that

Bummer...I thought I saw you're bike (I'm neurotic with equipment) being wheeled around and not by you during the race you were supposed to be in. Cracked? I think there were about 3-4 more crashes in the P12 in the last 10 minutes of the race.

Heal up, but it sounds like you'll be out for a while.
thx man. not sure how the bike is doing, but i broke my collarbone, 5 ribs, and some bones in my spine.. worst part was it took 40 mins for the ambulance to get called!

not a fun day no doubt. coulda been worse, but coulda been a lot better too!

my race videos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.