Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the first thing you should upgrade on a road bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the first thing you should upgrade on a road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-23, 09:03 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I taught people to drive their high-performance cars, primarily Porsches, on race tracks and road courses for 20+ years, and got that question about changing things on their car over and over from novices who wanted to go faster.

My advice to them holds true for bicycles also. The best way to enjoy cycling more is to do the upgrades in this order, giving yourself time in between each step to get comfortable with the changes you made:
1) Improve your ability & get to know your current bike - get lots of seat time
2) Upgrade things that touch the road (i.e. tires, wheels)
3) Upgrade things that touch you, (i.e. saddle, pedals, shoes, etc) and finally
4) Upgrade bicycle components
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 08-30-23, 09:06 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10507 Post(s)
Liked 12,050 Times in 6,171 Posts
Another vote for Fit First. Mostly, though, with a new bike, that's about adjusting the locations of things rather than replacing them. The two exceptions would be the stem because that's generally only adjustable vertically, and the saddle because that's such an individual thing - it works, or it doesn't. Pretty much any bike I've ever bought, the saddle isn't good for me. Sometimes, you can tell right off. Sometimes it takes a 10 mile ride. Sometimes, it takes 40, but always, always, always I have to replace the saddle. With a brand new bike, that's generally it till something wears out, the first of which would be the tires.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-30-23, 09:32 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,273 Times in 3,908 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’m a 6’ 1” rider and I have one road bike with 42cm bars and another with 44cm. I can’t tell any difference really. So 42cm is fine for me. We all have different preferences, but I doubt many 6’ riders would need wider road bars like yours.
The bike in the pic that I posted earlier had 42mm bars on it when I bought it. I tried to ride it like that for a little while, but it never felt right. I swapped the bars to 44s, and that was it - perfect. I have wide shoulders for my 5'-9" height, and 44s have always felt right. As a former sprinter, I always preferred the increased leverage, too. That said, my brain was programmed on this stuff before marginal aero gains were a thing people really considered.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-30-23 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-30-23, 09:48 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked 2,129 Times in 1,204 Posts
I’m a 6’ 1” rider and I have one road bike with 42cm bars and another with 44cm. I can’t tell any difference really. So 42cm is fine for me. We all have different preferences, but I doubt many 6’ riders would need wider road bars like yours.
Agree, 46 is very wide. I used to see bikes for 5'-10" - 6 ft riders at 44. 42 is usually too narrow, but some 6ft foks are skinny and it's fine.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-30-23, 10:02 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Even things like shoes matter. I seem to get by just fine with MTB type Shimano SPD pedals and shoes on my road bikes, but you can have a shoe fitting with arch support etc. to reduce foot hot spots. Another one is making your handlebars comfortable to reduce numbness, especially in the nerve on the outer part of the hand that makes the little finger numb. There, gell pads like Nitto Bananas, Specialized bar shapers and bars suitable for your shoulder width can all play a part. A lot of people go for excessively narrow saddles, which can hurt, but the saddle really depends on the stem in many ways, in that the saddle shape may need to change depending on how for forward you are hunched, and that is related to stem length. There are a lot of newer saddles that are short and wide--see Specialized's range--that help with comfort, but measuring your sit bones is never a bad idea.

Riders are never stuck with the components that come stock with their bike, and for relatively little money (especially if you flip the takeoffs) you can have a much more comfortable riding experience.
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Agree, 46 is very wide. I used to see bikes for 5'-10" - 6 ft riders at 44. 42 is usually too narrow, but some 6ft foks are skinny and it's fine.
Couldn't agree more. I didn't know any better when I bought my first road bike, so despite my height (5' 5") and inseam (29 in), I was stuck with a 440mm handlebar and a 90mm stem, which came with the bike that was one size too large for me, for almost a year. I told a friend about the discomfort I had with the bike. He took a look at it and immediately suggested I get a shorter stem and a narrower bar. Did both, and the difference was night and day.

FWIW, I currently have a 380mm bar. Works very well for me.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)

Last edited by daihard; 08-30-23 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For daihard:
Old 08-30-23, 12:19 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 179 Posts
Agree with the saddle votes. OEM saddles are commodity grade unless the bike is mid or high-tier. Even then, is it a good fit for your rear?

Am also finding some OEM saddles have little fore-aft adjustment range.

Bar tape/grips can be another tweak and luckily, are relatively cheap and easy to swap.
Old 08-30-23, 12:29 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3911 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 2,246 Posts
Never understood the fear of cyclists in team kit.
What is team kit anyway? Bianchi had a team.
I just wish I wasn't so much like this guy = turkey neck, wrinkly knees, impaired vision, wonky clown shoes. And I hear many younger hotshots pass him all the time, regardless of their clothing.

Upgrade from this rider - at any cost.
Old 08-30-23, 12:31 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
What, nobody's going mention getting a Ceramic Speed oversize derailleur pulley? They look really trick, and might even save a Watt. For a mere three or four hundred bucks, who wouldn't want these benefits?
Old 08-30-23, 03:00 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 1,650 Times in 831 Posts
I'd switch out the frame first, unless the spoke nipples were sub-standard.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-30-23, 03:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 1,520 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
This photo illustrates the correct answer to the original question, i.e., the first thing to upgrade is not a bike component, but one's kit to match one's new road bike.

Eric F you sexy beast!
Old 08-30-23, 03:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 1,520 Times in 1,053 Posts
The first order of business upon buying an Ultegra road bike is to carefully inspect the drivetrain to make sure that the manufacturer or its prior owner has not slipped in a 105 component (e.g., cassette or chain) to save a few dollars. If that happens to be the case, you curse the penny pinching fool and immediately set upon upgrading the offending 105 component(s) to the corresponding Ultegra counterparts, thereby satisfying your inner OCD and weight weenie.
Old 08-30-23, 03:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This photo illustrates the correct answer to the original question, i.e., the first thing to upgrade is not a bike component, but one's kit to match one's new road bike.

Eric F you sexy beast!
You've got it backwards. Bikes should be bought to match the kit. If your club/team kit changes, it's time for a new bike!!
Old 08-30-23, 04:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Eric F you sexy beast!
From a cycling perspective - if that's a compact double the cassette has a big bailout cog, so short of beast. And sexy = well, can't tell from pic if legs are shaved? At least the face is.

The glasses - must be a S.CA too much sunshine thing. Presuming Eaton Designs preceded Stork. Eaton jersey would match my latest bike, need one (seriously).
Old 08-30-23, 05:07 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 426 Posts
When I buy a new bike, I find it more economical to get one already equipped with the components I want. The only real upgrade I need is the saddle, as no new bike I have ever test ridden or bought was equipped with a good saddle. I’ll do more upgrades as parts wear out and need to be replaced.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 08-30-23, 05:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Wildwood
From a cycling perspective - if that's a compact double the cassette has a big bailout cog, so short of beast. And sexy = well, can't tell from pic if legs are shaved? At least the face is.

The glasses - must be a S.CA too much sunshine thing. Presuming Eaton Designs preceded Stork. Eaton jersey would match my latest bike, need one (seriously).
53/29 up front, 11-29 in the rear. At 55yo, sometimes I go looking for a lower gear. It's usually something I used to ride in a 23...20 years and 20 lbs ago. Legs are shaved now. They weren't when that pic was taken (about 3 years ago).

Those Oakleys have been replaced by newer ones, more recently.

Eaton Designs Racing is a club/team run by one of my best friends, and the colors have evolved over the years. These days, it's mostly ex-racers who still like to go fast once in a while. The bike and the kit matching was a coincidence. I bought the bike used, and it had actually been custom-painted to match the team kit of the guy I bought it from.
Old 08-30-23, 05:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
When I buy a new bike, I find it more economical to get one already equipped with the components I want. The only real upgrade I need is the saddle, as no new bike I have ever test ridden or bought was equipped with a good saddle. I’ll do more upgrades as parts wear out and need to be replaced.
But that's the conundrum. Want Di2, then you need disc brakes, integrated cockpit and carbon wheels too. Want deep carbon wheels but you're fine with mechanical shifting.. forget about it.
Old 08-30-23, 06:03 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Even things like shoes matter.
Shoes matter more or as much as most anything else on the bike (though technically not part of the bike)...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 08-30-23, 06:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18494 Post(s)
Liked 15,790 Times in 7,415 Posts
If the bike is blue, upgrade the color. Studies have statically shown that blue bikes are the slowest.
Old 08-30-23, 06:50 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Eaton Designs Racing is a club/team run by one of my best friends, and the colors have evolved over the years.
I inquired of Eaton Designs to purchase one of their cycling jerseys (knowing full well the retail side won't have a clue, unless....)

Looks a match. Two blues and some white.

Old 08-30-23, 07:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I inquired of Eaton Designs to purchase one of their cycling jerseys (knowing full well the retail side won't have a clue, unless....)

Looks a match. Two blues and some white.

LOL. Eaton Designs is a custom cabinetry and woodworking business. Eaton Designs Racing is a bike club. My friend is the owner of both. PM me your email address, and I’ll make sure you’re in the loop for the next club kit order. Go ahead and buy a bike, though, so you’re ready when the kit comes. Hopefully, there won’t be a big color change on the next re-design.
Old 08-30-23, 07:09 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Upgrade!
yeah need the jersey for the colors.
Old 08-30-23, 08:35 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 391 Posts
The bell for sure.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-30-23, 10:12 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,082 Posts
It's a lot less about height and a lot more about shoulder width. I have broad shoulders (I wear a 50 suit jacket for the shoulders, not for the gut I admittedly have) and I like 46cm or 48cm Nitto Noodle bars. Someone else who is my height (6'3") but with narrower shoulders very likely would prefer narrower bars.
Old 08-30-23, 10:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

I have upgraded most bikes I have owned - but never underestimate the pleasure of N+1. The two practices are not or should not be mutually exclusive.
Old 08-31-23, 02:50 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
You've got it backwards. Bikes should be bought to match the kit. If your club/team kit changes, it's time for a new bike!!
There is precedent for that. Win the yellow jersey and get the yellow bike !
Likes For daviddavieboy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.