Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-16, 08:33 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Screwed up this morning and did 7x1' VO2 max intervals instead of the six that were called for. I didn't notice until I got back and looked at the files. I kept the intervals at 135-140%. Suckers hurt.

I looked at those percentages and they didn't seem right. Just checked in Training and Racing with a Power Meter and sure enough, they're in the middle of Z6. NBD.

I'm less than enthused with the training zones used by CTS. In that system, everything from about 110% of FTP up is considered the same. I can ride a lot longer at 110% than I can at 140%. Sheesh.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-12-16, 10:40 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11402 Post(s)
Liked 4,760 Times in 2,769 Posts
My life is consumed by 4:30 am weight sessions on Tues/Thurs, but I at least get to sleep in on Sat and Sun before the weights. 6x10 squats and 3x10 deads have been the name of the game, but devilish stuff is on the horizon now. Of course, I get to come home to the trainer on those weeknights and do some lovely 125%+ low cadence action, and the Saturday stuff is longer and harder. Sunday is usually capped off by a Z2-3, 4.5 hour endurance ride, where my mood tends to lean towards wondering if Mrs. LAJ can find me if I call for a ride home. At the end of the day, I've been able to keep my time in Z1 on those endurance rides to under 5%, so something is working. This is generally the highlight to these rides. The cultural center can't be missed, as it is chock full of just plain good stuff. It alternates between the Conoco station and the Shell station.

Stuff has gotten really real, and being in the same zip code as this guy at the end of a race, is a goal of mine.
Old 12-12-16, 01:06 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
@LAJ Weights at 4:30 AM sounds just nasty.

Moving to SD, the terrain is flatter and it is much easier to limit the amount of z1 in a ride.

We did the same ride Saturday and Sunday along the coast - 2 hours of tempo. We try to keep the power up and out of z1/z2. Sunday was a typical December SoCal day at the beach.

Old 12-12-16, 01:30 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Hermes
@LAJ Weights at 4:30 AM sounds just nasty.

Moving to SD, the terrain is flatter and it is much easier to limit the amount of z1 in a ride.

We did the same ride Saturday and Sunday along the coast - 2 hours of tempo. We try to keep the power up and out of z1/z2. Sunday was a typical December SoCal day at the beach.

I'm jealous, @Hermes. Looks gorgeous.

Nailed it on the flats, and that's why I head to the plains. The wind blowing over the snow makes for a crisp ride, but it is what it is.

I whine about the endurance rides, but when it's a trainer weekend like last weekend was, I get to do a couple hours of tempo, with 12" standing Z6 bursts every three minutes. Not sure which is worse. Coach took pity on me, so he allowed me to go 4x30', with 5' in between.
Old 12-12-16, 03:05 PM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
My life is consumed by 4:30 am weight sessions on Tues/Thurs, but I at least get to sleep in on Sat and Sun before the weights. 6x10 squats and 3x10 deads have been the name of the game, but devilish stuff is on the horizon now. Of course, I get to come home to the trainer on those weeknights and do some lovely 125%+ low cadence action, and the Saturday stuff is longer and harder. Sunday is usually capped off by a Z2-3, 4.5 hour endurance ride, where my mood tends to lean towards wondering if Mrs. LAJ can find me if I call for a ride home. At the end of the day, I've been able to keep my time in Z1 on those endurance rides to under 5%, so something is working. This is generally the highlight to these rides. The cultural center can't be missed, as it is chock full of just plain good stuff. It alternates between the Conoco station and the Shell station.

Stuff has gotten really real, and being in the same zip code as this guy at the end of a race, is a goal of mine.
You are a man on a mission. Good on ya'; go get'em. (Tell me what I can do to help! lol, as if!)

I haven't yet determined my 2017 mission.
Old 12-12-16, 04:27 PM
LAJ
So it is

Thank you, @rapwithtom. John knows how defeated I was at the end of the season, and is driving the locomotive that he says will take me to that place good place again. It's hard, it accelerated, and it's imperative that I let him know when I'm ready to come unglued. Instead of being pissed at the guys in the 50+1,2,3, and thinking they can be a bit jerkish, I would rather just start picking them off one by one. I only have a year, then I have some new people to pick on that are closer to my age. I have come to realize that old people on bikes are not to be trifled with.
Old 12-12-16, 05:47 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Welcome back, @LAJ! Sounds like you're enjoying your training.

Oh man @Hermes! I miss sunshine already. Cloudy and rainy today. Bleak with the trees stripped of leaves. Mr H says to me, "this weather is foreboding" which I hear as "this weather is for boating". Lol, which made no sense.

We and our enormous pile of stuff arrived JFK in snow flurries last evening. The TSA opened the bike box but everything was repacked perfectly. The dog was silent as a church mouse on the plane.

Mr. H slept in with my bike still disassembled. WTF. I did not have a bike until 2pm. By then it was lunch time, so I had to wait 2 more hours to digest before I could hop on the trainer. Turns out 2 hours is not quite long enough for Chinese takeout. Stomachache on the trainer.

The trainer we bought for me to use here is el cheapo and it weirdly does not provide even resistance. More noticeable at lower power output but it's still a little odd to ride.

Today's gameplan was pretty loose- just ride the bike. Depending on how I felt, I knew which interval series to maybe pick a workout from. I decided to give 30 min of over/under intervals a whirl. No problem.

Mom had the last of her pre-surg stuff today- went well. Hospital intervals tomorrow, no bike.

Hey @sarals and @valygrl and any other women out there- saw a link to these today in one of those "Best Christmas Gifts for Girl Roadies" articles. I want em: https://svelte.co.uk/collections/wom...ant=4267434116
Old 12-12-16, 06:09 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Oh my goodness!!! Those are PRETTY arm warmers!! I want em, too!!
Old 12-12-16, 06:38 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by sarals
Oh my goodness!!! Those are PRETTY arm warmers!! I want em, too!!
Haha, I actually really like 4 of the arm warmers- pink floral, blue floral, botanical, and blue geo. Heck, I even like the pink geo.

I also dig this jersey: Womens dasch thermoactive jersey

Don't. Need. More. Jerseys.

And what's it with me and floral prints all of a sudden?? These socks are great: Roses (Black) Edition ? sako7socks

REALLY don't need more socks.
Old 12-12-16, 06:54 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
There is nothing wrong with being into floral prints. So there!
Old 12-13-16, 01:01 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@Heathpack And you have to wear socks. Boy, bike slaves are not what they used to be.
Old 12-13-16, 01:35 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@Heathpack And you have to wear socks. Boy, bike slaves are not what they used to be.
Lol, today I was mentioning to him that:
1. I would have preferred that the bike point *out* of the garage rather than into it
2. Really he should have come out to check on me while I was riding, what if there was a problem with the bike?

He replied:
1. I see your point
2. I did. Your head was down & you didn't see me

We prefer the term "cabana boy" to "slave" BTW. So much pleasanter connotations.

Duly noted on the socks. I have convinced myself that three pairs of new arm warmers is indeed reasonable as well.

And in reference to your Kevin-Spacey-at-Starbucks comment in the other thread, Starbucks completely screwed up my order today and I wound up with two grande caramel brűlée lattes instead of one venti cinnamon hazelnut latte with less-than-usual syrup. Omg those things are undrinkably sweet. No idea how anyone can drink them. Peets is so much better than Starbucks.

Sleepy now. On account of not being able to drink my coffee drink.
Old 12-13-16, 01:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Back in the gym last night for upper body work. I am totally digging the new gym. It is not quite as plush or expensive as Equinox (my former gym) but the employees, owners, clients, location and equipment are great. Plus there is always a lot of energy without it feeling crowded.

A trainer showed me a different way to loosen my IT bands on the foam roller. The technique is to get on the roller (one that is very firm) with ones weight on the IT band. Instead of rolling, one finds a sore spot and then curls the leg. This causes the IT band to release. However, it is extremely painful. Just putting weight on the IT band at a point of tension is painful but contracting the hamstring is brutal.

However, my IT bands are much better and that sometimes annoying outside the knee pain is gone.

This technique is similar to Active Release Technique that is practiced by some chiropractors and physical therapist.
Old 12-13-16, 03:15 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Haha, I actually really like 4 of the arm warmers- pink floral, blue floral, botanical, and blue geo. Heck, I even like the pink geo.

I also dig this jersey: Womens dasch thermoactive jersey

Don't. Need. More. Jerseys.

And what's it with me and floral prints all of a sudden?? These socks are great: Roses (Black) Edition ? sako7socks

REALLY don't need more socks.
holy **** 21 quids for a pair of socks?
Old 12-13-16, 03:20 PM
revchuck 
OMC

I've got four pair of winter socks that retail for that (actually $22). Of course, they're Specialized and I work at a Specialized shop so that's not what I paid, but it's not outside normal.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-13-16, 03:21 PM
LAJ
So it is

Mrs. LAJ has stopped buying me socks, and bike-wear. Once the team deal happens, it's hard to justify buying more after just spending umpteen hundreds on team gear. That's actually a blessing, as I have a-lot-of-socks.
Old 12-13-16, 03:22 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by echappist
holy **** 21 quids for a pair of socks?
Not quid. Dollars.

And the flowers are so pretty...
Old 12-13-16, 03:23 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Lol, today I was mentioning to him that:
1. I would have preferred that the bike point *out* of the garage rather than into it
2. Really he should have come out to check on me while I was riding, what if there was a problem with the bike?

He replied:
1. I see your point
2. I did. Your head was down & you didn't see me

We prefer the term "cabana boy" to "slave" BTW. So much pleasanter connotations.

Duly noted on the socks. I have convinced myself that three pairs of new arm warmers is indeed reasonable as well.

And in reference to your Kevin-Spacey-at-Starbucks comment in the other thread, Starbucks completely screwed up my order today and I wound up with two grande caramel brűlée lattes instead of one venti cinnamon hazelnut latte with less-than-usual syrup. Omg those things are undrinkably sweet. No idea how anyone can drink them. Peets is so much better than Starbucks.

Sleepy now. On account of not being able to drink my coffee drink.
Starbucks must be ordered as a "skinny", otherwise it will crack your teeth with all the sugar installed in those things.

I hope Mom Heathpack is doing well.
Old 12-13-16, 03:24 PM
revchuck 
OMC

An hour at recovery pace today. I waited until after lunch to give the rain a chance to clear out so I wouldn't have to do it on the trainer. It was windy so I ended up staying barely within recovery range, IF was .49. The Garmin said it was 73 degrees out, 12 days before Christmas...sheesh.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-13-16, 03:31 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by revchuck
I've got four pair of winter socks that retail for that (actually $22). Of course, they're Specialized and I work at a Specialized shop so that's not what I paid, but it's not outside normal.
My bestest warmest pair of socks are these:

Richard Sachs Wool Cyclocross Sock - Natural ? The Athletic

I got them for Christmas last year so in theory I don't know what they cost. But I actually ordered them to save Mr H the hassle, so I know. $25.

They are my bestest warmest most-beloved pair of cycling socks. In the winter. Too warm for the summer.

Favorite summer socks:

Neon Pink

A comparative bargain.
Old 12-13-16, 03:33 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by LAJ
Starbucks must be ordered as a "skinny", otherwise it will crack your teeth with all the sugar installed in those things.

I hope Mom Heathpack is doing well.
Mom Heathpack has now been in surgery for 5.5 hours. Still waiting. They say everything is fine but that's a very long anesthesia time for a person her age.
Old 12-13-16, 03:38 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

All will be fine. Sending positive thoughts your moms way.
Old 12-13-16, 03:43 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

All will be fine. Sending positive thoughts your moms way.
Thanks. It's just a gnarly surgery, it will take as long as it takes. But there's a saying in surgery: "time is trauma". You really want to get in & out as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, I shop for socks. Without being able to buy anything, on account of being on a public wifi.

These would really go with everything:

EKG
Old 12-13-16, 04:07 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Check out Defeet. https://defeet.com Over the years, we have purchased many pair for cycling and Defeet sponsors many cycling teams and provides discounts.

And they have the artist's series. https://defeet.com/page.asp?p_key=9F...AF09D1D59063F5
Old 12-13-16, 04:21 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Check out Defeet. https://defeet.com Over the years, we have purchased many pair for cycling and Defeet sponsors many cycling teams and provides discounts.

And they have the artist's series. https://defeet.com/page.asp?p_key=9F...AF09D1D59063F5

DeFeet International

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.