Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Some ask, "Why a trike?"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Some ask, "Why a trike?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-20, 12:43 PM
Chasboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In the late 90’s there was lots of talk about how a DF style frame with a typical saddle raised a male’s PSA levels. I had been looking at recumbents just from curiosity for awhile and she asked me to look into them because of the ‘scare’. I ended up with a Linear LWB which was basically an aluminum 2x4 with bike components attached and a narrow beach chair for a seat and under seat steering. Very comfortable, not fast or a climber, but once you got to the top of a hill, the downstroke was the closest to a bobsled I’ve ever experienced.
I spent a lot of time on the recumbent mailing list, and learned a lot. Despite the variety of designs of DF bikes, the recumbent/trike world was like someone threw a few wheels and tubing at Doc Emmet Brown and said “make it roll”. The variety was/is endless and a testimony to human inventiveness.
I got tired of that bike and ‘graduated’ to a Lightning Phantom which I still have. Much faster, almost as good a ride, and in general better quality.
Visibility: Both my ‘bents were ‘higher’ seating bikes. Regardless I had a flag and a bunch of annoying lights on the back. I never found motorists to be any less courteous with my bents as with my upright.
Most trikes sit fairly low, and take up more room side to side. There are some that sit somewhat higher but they are pretty much heavyweights, which seem to be Deltas most of the time.
Tadpoles can be so low they almost seem to scrape the ground. Any trike rider I ever rode with seemed to be perfectly comfortable and of course never had instability worries either.
Likes For Chasboy:
Old 01-13-20, 12:51 PM
AJSG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to own a Catlike trail and I loved it but unfortunately I had to sell it 10 years ago. I only had two problems with the trike. The seat is lower to the ground so you can’t see over cars in traffic like you can on a regular bike. But the bigger problem with trikes is their size and weight make it really awkward to lug it around, especially when you’re carrying them up flights of stairs and living in a small home or an apartment building. You really need a garage to put them in. I don’t know if the new folding trikes solve that issue.
Likes For AJSG:
Old 01-13-20, 02:58 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by AJSG
their size and weight make it really awkward to lug it around, especially when you’re carrying them up flights of stairs and living in a small home or an apartment building. You really need a garage to put them in. I don’t know if the new folding trikes solve that issue.
Probably not.

We own two folding Catrikes, a Trail and a 559. They weigh around 40 lbs. each. A bigger issue than the actual weight is their bulk. It's hard to find a way to hold them so that their weight isn't awkwardly leveraged away from your body. Catrike publishes exact dimensions of folded size. It's not a compact package.

We love our Catrikes but it's not a perfected design yet.
Old 01-13-20, 06:19 PM
hkhailey

Bikes: 1995 GT Arrette

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same where I am. Too many lifted 4X4s around here. I'd hate to have to be scraped off of an oil pan.
Old 01-13-20, 06:39 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
When I referenced sitting and getting out of a trike. I have no other reference other than my wife's Terra Trike. I guess there are a several ways of entering and exiting a trike. Maybe working on your core strength first would solve some of the problem. Along with some yoga strength training. Might solve the problem for some , if not most.

I honestly do not know as my wife is definitely not athletic and has no problem getting onto or off her trike.
Old 01-13-20, 06:42 PM
collcs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why a trike....winter safety....

Fuji road frame delta trike, 12 speed.

Shimano hub 6 spd drive axle and differential housing holding 2 freewheels

I have 3 road bikes, a cruiser and a "frankenbike" (a steampunk style creation). After some interesting reading about "delta" style (diamond frame) trikes in Great Britain including professional racing (VERY challenging), I built a delta trike from a Fuji road frame and conversion kit for winter use here in Michigan (snow, glare ice) to continue outdoor riding year round. With a high center of gravity and fighting the one drive wheel steering tendencies, there was a learning curve. I then built a "differential" from a housing & 2 freewheels to distribute torque to both rear wheels while allowing cornering. Both brakes are front (V brake and drum) like British models. The intermediate axle is a Shimano hub with 6 cogs & a drive cog. Last year, I completely rebuilt this trike with an alloy stepthru frame (mounting/dismounting a delta is difficult with the rear wheel in the way), replacing steel pieces with alloy, widening the track with alloy spacers and a lower, more laid back seat position. It's slow and heavy compared to the other bikes but ultra stable and a blast on ice & snow.
Likes For collcs:
Old 01-13-20, 07:35 PM
iambent

Bikes: RANS Stratus 700, Bacchetta Corsa, HPV Gekko FX 20, Rover Tandem

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greenspeed Aero is another racer type trike. Very low and very fast.

Old 01-13-20, 10:46 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Oh my a trike is my dream bike.... The kind with both wheels in front and one behind. And make it sturdy so you can actually go off road on trails. I got to try one once and I loved it. Only problem was getting out of it. LOL That was interesting, glad no one filmed it.
Another problem is I live in an apartment and it would be tough getting it in and out of the door. Plus good lord are they spendy, at least the ones I want are. LOL I might want a bit of assist for up hills...maybe. Never did try it up hills....
Old 01-14-20, 06:15 AM
Hutchy
Hutchy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe there's a trike forum you could join, this one's for BIKES
Old 01-14-20, 07:35 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by iambent
Greenspeed Aero is another racer type trike. Very low and very fast.

I'd love to get my hands on one for a day.