Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

advice for choosing bike, sirrus vs bassano

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

advice for choosing bike, sirrus vs bassano

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 06:45 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
Since you're talking about commuting;the Sirrus's V brakes will allow for wider tires and fenders than the Wknd's caliper brakes,the 48/34x11-36 drivetrain will allow easier climbing than the Wknd's narrower 50/34x11-28,and the Specialized tires will have better puncture protection than the Maxxis D's. Also,SRAM shifters utilize two thumb levers,which makes them easier to operate with winter gloves/mittens than Shimano triggers. The X-7 groupo is also a touch higher in spec than the 105/Tiagra combo.
A useful comment.

Originally Posted by dynaryder
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Originally Posted by SlimRider
However in reality, it most probably doesn't make any difference at all!
Originally Posted by SlimRider
For $200 cheaper, you'll most likely be getting a very similar experience.
Please do not give mis information.
He didn't. Most average riders can't tell the difference between groupos that aren't several levels apart in quality. Most people will notice a difference between 2300 and Dura Ace,but would never know if you swapped their Deore shifters for LX.
So, are they different or are they the same?
Old 12-03-12, 08:16 PM
ragtoplvr

Bikes: specalized sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a sirris and i love it. Very comfortable. Has mounts for fenders and racks that are important for commuting. I have had no issues other than wearing out chains and tires. There are faster bikes for sure. and lighter bikes. But the sirrus feels good to me.
Rod
Old 12-04-12, 04:43 AM
maltess2

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Spain, unfortunately , here they dont let test rides, I know its sounds strange but.... The sirrus I posted is exactly the same here , like the wilier
Old 12-04-12, 05:15 PM
maltess2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not very rainy here. I will do 4-5 miles distances, also some longer rides when i get the chance. I guess my man doudt now is going to a Mtb componentry (sirrus) or race ( wilier) It this is actually of some importance
Old 12-04-12, 05:32 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
So, are they different or are they the same?
Shimano and SRAM have different levels of groups,but they don't exactly parallel each other. Shimano's Dura Ace is their top road level,Red is SRAM's. As to which is better,well that's hard to quantify. There are fans of each that will argue their fav is the best. X-7 is about the same level as 105,and about a step higher than Tiagra(yes X-7 is MTB,and 105/T are road,but that really doesn't matter),so technically the Sirrus has better parts,but really the difference in quality and weight is single digit percentiles and a few grams. For the average user,they're not going to see the difference in use,but I personally would give the nod to the X-7 group because I prefer the action of the shifters(as I stated before).

For flat bar bikes,I'll pick SRAM over anything because of the shifters. For drop bar bikes,I prefer the action of SRAM's DoubleTap over Shimano's STI,but Shimano's hoods are larger and I find them more comfortable than SRAM's,so when it comes to drop bars I'd choose the bike with the best features/lowest weight/coolest paint job/whatever as opposed to what the groupo is.

Just FYI,for chains I always go with SRAM over Shimano. Same quality for a lower price,no goofy single-use pins,handy master link,and the grease that comes on them is more durable and less messy than the oil than comes on Shimano chains.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-04-12, 05:43 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maltess2
I guess my man doudt now is going to a Mtb componentry (sirrus) or race ( wilier) It this is actually of some importance
On these two bikes,that difference is meaningless. Swap the big ring and cassette on either and they will have the exact same gearing. Brakes should be equal on the two,provided they are properly maintained and the wheels are kept true. They're both 10sp,so chain life and replacement cost are the same. The real differences are in the chassis. Just looking at the specs,the Weekend is the racier of the two,with a more aggressive riding position and probably a little quicker handling. The Sirrus is the more "practical" of the two,with more tire/fender clearance and glove-friendly shifters. Unfortunately,the only way to tell which is truly better for you would be for you to test ride them and see which just feels better. If you can't test ride them,I'd at least sit on them,and decide which feels better.

Any chance they'd let you test them indoors on a set of rollers?

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-04-12, 06:54 PM
maltess2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks do much to everybody for all this attention to my questions.

I think I will able to try a bit the sirrus indoors, nothing for the bassano. Another doubt is the crankset, tiagra 34-50 on the bassano, Unknown Sram 34-48 in the sirrus. Am i going to note more speed in the bassano by using the 50 over the 48? Itīs only a bit bigger
Old 12-05-12, 06:34 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Two teeth on the front is nothing,just pedal harder.

Old 12-20-12, 11:10 AM
maltess2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just one last question , when you talk about the road group shiftters being smoother.

I used to ride a Trek FX with a Deore group, the shifting was quick and responsive, thatīs good for the city. What do you mean by smooth? its like shiftting is going to take ages to shift, comparing to a MTB, but in a smooth way?
Old 12-20-12, 11:32 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think it's so much the responsiveness of the derailleurs/shifters, but how the spacing of the rear cassette between cogs is so much closer, which helps in maintaining a given cadence.
Old 12-20-12, 02:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The rooms full of engineers in Osaka Japan have done their best to turn shifting a derailleur bike,
into a skill free task
to improve marketing riding to a wider customer base.. .

And adopted the planned obsolescence from the US auto Biz,

to sell "new and improved" every couple years..