Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Have You Always Wanted To Bike Tour But Never Get Around To It?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Have You Always Wanted To Bike Tour But Never Get Around To It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 11:20 AM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
Good for you. I have done the Erie Canal twice. Once in 2008 and again in 2012. It can get difficult at times and if it's your first tour I would highly recommend a group ride. Bike New York does a wonderful job with it's Erie Canal tour and registration is going on now.
I hear ya, I thought about it. But for me anyway, a big part of the allure of bike touring is adventure aspect, self reliance, problem solving, uncertainty, etc. An organized ride kind of removes all that. Also, I'll probably be starting in the middle at Syracuse so wont go the whole length in one shot. I'll probably do a "Syracuse to Albany," then a "Syracuse to Buffalo," and maybe an Adirondacks or Finger Lakes tour somewhere in the middle.
Old 01-12-14, 01:12 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Aside from commuting, touring is the reason I own a bike. I don't put much thought into it - when I get some time off, I just tick off the same equipment checklist I've been using for twenty years and go. No camping - motels only. Hot bath, cable tv, nearby restaurant... bliss.
Old 01-12-14, 05:37 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Mmm…no. Maybe in Europe if wine is provided.
Old 01-12-14, 09:05 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
In my younger days, I wanted to do the BikeCentennial ride across America - that name alone should tell you how long I've dreamt about a long bike tour.

Last year I was looking in to a ride around the perimeter of Ohio (1037 miles according to GoogleEarth), but finding the time to do even that seems improbable. I'd like to give it a shot, but the Wife is definitely NOT keen on the idea of me taking off for three weeks, solo. Same goes for the GAP/C&O.

She's not a rider, what can I say. < sigh >
Old 01-12-14, 09:19 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I almost bought me a Woodrup Touring Frame back in the '80s when they were about $600 as I recall (vaguely). Kind of dropped the idea when I spent the money making a move to the west coast from Dallas.

And like Mercian they're still making relatively affordable lugged steel frames.

I just saw this lugged steel Bob Jackson frame for about $900 though. Looks like Reynolds 631 which I'd be fine with. I've been thinking a retro looking gravel grinder/touring type frame for some future build someday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
woodrup.jpg (101.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg
Bob Jackson World Tour.jpg (103.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Zinger; 01-13-14 at 04:33 AM. Reason: added the Bob Jackson
Old 01-12-14, 09:55 PM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a dream. And only a dream at this point. At 53 I am a long way away from having the time to do it. In the mean time I have the Trek 520 and I just do short one or two days tours.
Old 01-13-14, 08:06 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
I have done many week long supported tours. Last year I did GOBA self contained to see how I would fair. I am so fed up with Winter I ordered ACA Florida loop maps. My plan is 3 weeks 750 miles in March. I am excited.
Old 01-13-14, 08:26 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
In my younger days touring was a regular event. All were unsupported. It added to the adventure. Haven't done one in two decades. Can't say I really think about them much these days. But, if you haven't done one (supported or unsupported) you should give at least one a try.
Old 01-13-14, 10:17 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have done a few week long trips, self supported. I stay at state & county park campgrounds along the way. I have also done a couple week long fully supported tours. I like both styles for their own characteristics. It is a great feeling rolling out of the driveway with everything you'll need for a week loaded onto the bike. Going solo, you set the pace, and can change your mind on a whim as to how far or which direction you want to head. Supported tours locks you into the planned out agenda. Both have worked out fine for me. And as stated earlier, once you try it, it is easy to become addicted!
Old 01-13-14, 05:08 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I have always wanted to do a bike tour in Europe during the "Tour" which does all the climbing stages, is supported and will haul my wife around and entertain her while I ride. I don't care about first Class Hotels or gourmet food just a clean place to sleep and good food. And at 71 I am a cheapskate and thinking I need to do this tour in the next couple of years before becoming too infirm to complete "Alp Du ez". I think I am already losing my ability to spell.
Old 01-13-14, 05:49 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by bent4me
I have done many week long supported tours. Last year I did GOBA self contained to see how I would fair. ...
I just got my GOBA 26 flyer in the mail today. https://goba.com/wordpress
Old 01-13-14, 08:11 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
With any luck, this will be mine this summer.

https://www.cycleamerica.com/cc6-heartland.htm

Of course, it's all about the climbing. Look at that elevation profile!

Old 01-13-14, 08:21 PM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for posting this I'm interested.start in Maryland or Pittsburg then ride back?i or I guess I need to get dropped off in one state and picked up in another?who the hell is going to do that for me.im in nj so it's possible.i just have to save someone from choking and have them ask me how can I repay you?Where is the easy button? So if I partner up with someone ,one is responsible for drop off and one for pick up?I think I'll have to buy my wife another diamond ring?Wait a minute I could rent a car drive to pit or Maryland and rent one for the ride back.Beautiful !! I'm looking into this.
Old 01-14-14, 03:21 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Thanks for posting this I'm interested.start in Maryland or Pittsburg then ride back?i or I guess I need to get dropped off in one state and picked up in another?who the hell is going to do that for me.im in nj so it's possible.i just have to save someone from choking and have them ask me how can I repay you?Where is the easy button? So if I partner up with someone ,one is responsible for drop off and one for pick up?I think I'll have to buy my wife another diamond ring?Wait a minute I could rent a car drive to pit or Maryland and rent one for the ride back.Beautiful !! I'm looking into this.
Drive to Pittsburgh. Take the Amtrak to DC with your bike. Ride back to Pittsburgh.
Old 01-14-14, 08:04 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Drive to Pittsburgh. Take the Amtrak to DC with your bike. Ride back to Pittsburgh.
On a bike shop site in Maryland it says Amtrak does not allow carry on bikes.but thanks for the idea.
Old 01-14-14, 10:38 PM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call the West Newton bike shop. They run a nice shuttle. There is parking at the shop and visitor's center. They'll drop you off in Cumberland or anywhere in between. I used them in October. Check out the Gap website. All the information you need to make the trip happen. Food, mileage, lodging, shuttles, bike shops. It's all there.

www.atatrail.org

Here is my Salsa in Ohiopyle along the Gap

Last edited by Terry66; 01-14-14 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 06:49 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
On a bike shop site in Maryland it says Amtrak does not allow carry on bikes.but thanks for the idea.
Amtrak does not allow carry on bikes but they do allow boxed bikes. It takes about 10 minutes to remove the pedals and turn the handlebar to fit the bike into the Amtrak box. $5 for the box. $10 for shipment. The only downside is that DC and Pittsburgh are the only on off point for shipped items.
Old 01-15-14, 09:51 AM
john.b

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did some longer loaded touring trips when I was younger and had fewer obligations. Harder to get away for multiple-week trips at this point.

I am planning on doing the loaded touring bike thing on the Katy Trail this year, with GAP/C&O definitely on the agenda for a future year.

IMO, as far as supported rides go, the logistics and scenery at Cycle Oregon are fantastic.

Originally Posted by Terry66
Here is my Salsa in Ohiopyle along the Gap
Nice! Which Salsa is that, Terry? Looks like a Vaya, but I haven't seen one that color.

Last edited by john.b; 01-15-14 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 10:41 AM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John, it is a 2011 Vaya. They were either orange or metallic charcoal that year. It looks great in the sun.

i did the Katy a couple years back. I prefer the Gap but both are fantastic rides
Old 01-15-14, 03:27 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
If I lived on the coast instead of inland I wouldn't mind taking my Trek 500 on this 200 mile 2 day Seattle to Portland ride in July. Or you could do it in a day if you wanted and just call it a double.

That would probably be just right for me as a 2 day event. It's supposed to be flat enough for a fixie (so I'm hearing from a poster in another forum). So it would have been a good way to check the limitations of my gearing. But it's a little too far to drive for me and I'd have to ride back to Seattle anyway.

Last edited by Zinger; 01-15-14 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 06:07 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Amtrak does not allow carry on bikes but they do allow boxed bikes. It takes about 10 minutes to remove the pedals and turn the handlebar to fit the bike into the Amtrak box. $5 for the box. $10 for shipment. The only downside is that DC and Pittsburgh are the only on off point for shipped items.
thanks again this is all new to me!
Old 01-15-14, 09:18 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I think I got it?Drive my car to Pit,park in safe area - pay lot?Cycle to Maryland,rent car to drive back to Pit. One more question please.Do I look at the map ,figure where I will be at the end of day and make a reservation for a room or wing it.I don't have any camping gear btw.Nor do I want any!Been there did that.
Old 01-16-14, 07:06 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts

I think I got it?Drive my car to Pit,park in safe area - pay lot?Cycle to Maryland,rent car to drive back to Pit. One more question please.Do I look at the map ,figure where I will be at the end of day and make a reservation for a room or wing it.I don't have any camping gear btw.Nor do I want any!Been there did that.
I would suggest having reservations. You will also need to figure out where you
can eat. You can ask when making the reservations, but I also like to google
the restaurants in the area.
Old 01-16-14, 10:10 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
With any luck, this will be mine this summer.

https://www.cycleamerica.com/cc6-heartland.htm

Of course, it's all about the climbing. Look at that elevation profile!
I really want to do something like this. The Coast to Coast looks fabulous. But $100 a day seems expensive for camping but I guess you have to pay for the all support provided some way. I guess if I were to think about spending $8000 for a two month's vacation it is not really all that bad. The problem for me is if I did the Northern Route eventually I'd have to do the Southern route.....I've given (and keep giving thought) to doing a cross country unsupported but just don't know if I could pull that off.

I've come to enjoy the touring (supported) much more than the one day events. I love the fellowship with the other riders. I have two week long tours on the plans for this summer.
Old 01-16-14, 10:11 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
For those of you who have done the GAP: I can ride up to 70 miles daily, so I could make a 2 day trip from PIttsburgh to Cumberland and have family stay overnight in Cumberland to pick me up. The question is, would I really want to do that? Is that too quick to enjoy the route?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.