Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Have You Always Wanted To Bike Tour But Never Get Around To It?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Have You Always Wanted To Bike Tour But Never Get Around To It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 11:33 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I really want to do something like this. The Coast to Coast looks fabulous. But $100 a day seems expensive for camping but I guess you have to pay for the all support provided some way. I guess if I were to think about spending $8000 for a two month's vacation it is not really all that bad. The problem for me is if I did the Northern Route eventually I'd have to do the Southern route.....I've given (and keep giving thought) to doing a cross country unsupported but just don't know if I could pull that off.

I've come to enjoy the touring (supported) much more than the one day events. I love the fellowship with the other riders. I have two week long tours on the plans for this summer.
I have really enjoyed riding with that group.

Most of the places they stay are middle or high schools. We use the showers and facilities, and if you want, you can sleep inside the gym. That works for me cuz, although I love camping, I really don't much like breaking camp early in the morning.

Another thought: In the past, the people working the ride work a day, then get off a day and ride with the rest of us. If you've got the time, that's not a bad way to go.

Old 01-16-14, 02:45 PM
john.b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
With any luck, this will be mine this summer.

https://www.cycleamerica.com/cc6-heartland.htm

Of course, it's all about the climbing. Look at that elevation profile!
At least the climbing is spread out.

Their two-week Jasper to Glacier trip looks amazing but there are no 2014 dates. If the 2013 dates are any indication, it probably conflicts with RAGBRAI.

Originally Posted by Zinger
If I lived on the coast instead of inland I wouldn't mind taking my Trek 500 on this 200 mile 2 day Seattle to Portland ride in July. Or you could do it in a day if you wanted and just call it a double.

That would probably be just right for me as a 2 day event. It's supposed to be flat enough for a fixie (so I'm hearing from a poster in another forum). So it would have been a good way to check the limitations of my gearing. But it's a little too far to drive for me and I'd have to ride back to Seattle anyway.
I've looked into this based on feedback I got from people who've done it. I'm guessing the logistics would be challenging if you weren't already local.
Old 01-16-14, 05:12 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by john.b
I've looked into this based on feedback I got from people who've done it. I'm guessing the logistics would be challenging if you weren't already local.
Yeah I don't think I'd do it since I live so far away. That 2 day group thing is intriguing though. Sounds like fun. I've driven the highway back and forth about 13 years ago and just don't remember what kind of climbing that would be involved.
Old 01-18-14, 09:27 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
I think I got it?Drive my car to Pit,park in safe area - pay lot?Cycle to Maryland,rent car to drive back to Pit. One more question please.Do I look at the map ,figure where I will be at the end of day and make a reservation for a room or wing it.I don't have any camping gear btw.Nor do I want any!Been there did that.
Somewhere I have the GAP tour book. It only costs ten bucks.

You can ride from Pitt to Cumberland and catch a shuttle back. Check the web for pricing.

My wife gave me permission to do the trip. Yay. If I could ask again: would trying to make the Pitt-Cumberland leg in two days be too aggressive?

Old 01-18-14, 09:58 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I'm amazed that this thread has gotten this far without one of these:

I'd like to try touring, but I'm not realistically going to find either the time or the money to do so. If possible, I'd be seeing about one of those group tours on the Katy Trail, or see if they organize events for the Sam Vadalabene Trail from Alton up to Pere Marquette Park and beyond...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
round-tuit.jpg (31.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-18-14, 10:04 AM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack

You can ride from Pitt to Cumberland and catch a shuttle back. Check the web for pricing.

My wife gave me permission to do the trip. Yay. If I could ask again: would trying to make the Pitt-Cumberland leg in two days be too aggressive?
A shuttle that's great!I asked my bride if she would go with me.Her reply ,buy me a new bike and I ll think about it.That means she gets a new bike and thinks of a reason not to go.Then I get the old why don't you go my neck hurts.Im half way there!
Old 01-20-14, 10:00 AM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack

Personally, I would make it 2.5-3 days. Ohiopyle is an awesome place to explore. Also the trail from Ohiopyle to Cumberland is impressive. 70 a day wouldnt give you much time to enjoy. I did just over 80 miles on the Katy one day and it felt likeI spent the day working out and not enjoying a bicycle tour.
Old 01-20-14, 10:11 AM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
I'm amazed that this thread has gotten this far without one of these:

I'd like to try touring, but I'm not realistically going to find either the time or the money to do so. If possible, I'd be seeing about one of those group tours on the Katy Trail, or see if they organize events for the Sam Vadalabene Trail from Alton up to Pere Marquette Park and beyond...
I got a shuttle from St Charles out to Rocheport then rode back. Being right there in StL, you should give it a go. I think I got the shuttle from Katy Bike Rental. Stayed in the Hostel in Tebbets and then Klondike park
Old 01-20-14, 10:30 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Bike touring can be inexpensive. I credit card tour ... stay in cheap motels and keep the meals low cost.

Any of you living in California might want to consider getting tour maps from this guy ... I found them quite good:

https://www.backroad.users.sonic.net/index.html

I did the Sonoma County mini tour years ago and had a great time. Great routes, great food (two Italian restaurants that compete with one another for the best in town), and a great time.

https://www.backroad.users.sonic.net/miniocci.html

Old 01-20-14, 07:24 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
So this is what I'm going to do if the stars come into proper alignment. I'll drive from Loovul to Pittsburgh on some Wednesday and stay with family. Thursday I'll be dropped off downtown and plan on 50-60 miles down the GAP. Saturday I'll meet up with the fam in Cumberland. I hope they have an outlet mall nearby. If so I'm golden. After the overnight stay we drive back to Loovul.

So I buy a Terracycle rack and some panniers. I see it happening.

Old 01-22-14, 09:59 AM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Over in regional discussions under northeast there are a couple of posts about the gap.