Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How did you first group ride end?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: How did you do on your first group ride?
Humbled
44.14%
As expected
21.62%
Better than expected.
34.23%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

How did you first group ride end?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 04:37 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
My first group ride was about 35 yrs ago. Rode in jeans and a flannel shirt. Two Olympians were on the ride. Stayed with the leaders the whole 50 mile ride. Yeah, I was good, real good.

Last edited by big chainring; 08-26-10 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 05:05 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mine ended just like Hamlet.
Old 08-26-10, 05:23 PM
Perp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Didn't ride with the fast group, but got yelled at. Kept hearing "Don't accelerate!" and "Slow down on climbs!".

I'm bad at setting the same pace when taking a pull, especially on climbs. I broke the pace line a lot going too hard at the front.
Old 08-26-10, 05:34 PM
elkootcho

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Rival, 2009 Fuji Roubaix pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still trying to get up the nerve to go on my first group ride. Too worried about which group to ride in. In a couple of weeks I'll likely ride with the San Fernando Valley Bike Club.
Old 08-26-10, 05:53 PM
andrewluke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It ended with three of us balls out in a sprint. I was second and found a faster group the next weekend. I wasn't even in contention for any of the three sprints in that group (and therefore never tried) and it was a good feeling. I don't like being out front because it means I know I'm not pushing as hard as I can.

My only group ride now would be between those two as an easier Sunday ride. There are no groups around where I live anyway.
Old 08-27-10, 12:22 AM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my first group ride was in '83, i had read about them and knew they existed and it took a while to find one. i don't recall how it ended but the riding/racing community as pretty small back then and close knit. being a new guy i stood out and members of the group immediately gave me instructions (but no yelling) and taught me right from the start the proper way to ride in a group. at first they kept me at the back and no pulling over time shepherded me to the front and the proper way to ride a paceline. we should all be so lucky
Old 08-27-10, 01:24 AM
zstjohn

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I felt like crap and my schlong was numb. bought a new saddle
Old 08-27-10, 09:04 AM
TriEngineer
Fitter of road/ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Years ago now, but I was riding up at the front for the first 20 km, standing up to pedal and all. I was all amazed I was going fast...the group then turned and headed for home, and I realized I was riding with tail wind. I bonked within ten minutes because I hadn't eaten and had two cups of coffee with milk, I hit my LT and legs were stiff as brick. struggled for 30k to limp back home.
Old 08-27-10, 09:19 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by TriEngineer
Years ago now, but I was riding up at the front for the first 20 km, standing up to pedal and all. I was all amazed I was going fast...the group then turned and headed for home, and I realized I was riding with tail wind. I bonked within ten minutes because I hadn't eaten and had two cups of coffee with milk, I hit my LT and legs were stiff as brick. struggled for 30k to limp back home.
A lesson we have to learn early on. We don't just magically become 5mph faster one day. It's either down hill or down wind. And what goes down has to come back up at some point.

My dream ride is for the wife to drive me 80 miles south on a really windy day so I can big ring all the way home, with delusions of grandeur all the way. She just dosn't see it the same as me. Perhaps I'll ask as a birthday present.
Old 08-27-10, 09:32 AM
Urthwhyte

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hung on to the C+ group for 80k and then got dropped chasing down a breakaway with 5k to go. Now I get dropped by the A group 50-60k in every week instead.
Old 08-27-10, 09:37 AM
cleansheet

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The same as every group ride. A long solo effort after about 15 miles.
Old 08-27-10, 10:50 AM
eddiepliers 

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first group ride was terrible. A bunch of really good and nice people, but i died within 4 miles of a 20 mile ride due to heat exhaustion on a 95-100 degree day with the asphalt cooking me.
Old 08-27-10, 11:50 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by eddiepliers
My first group ride was terrible. A bunch of really good and nice people, but i died within 4 miles of a 20 mile ride due to heat exhaustion on a 95-100 degree day with the asphalt cooking me.
We call that a spring or fall ride around here.
Old 08-27-10, 05:35 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
A lesson we have to learn early on. We don't just magically become 5mph faster one day. It's either down hill or down wind. And what goes down has to come back up at some point.

My dream ride is for the wife to drive me 80 miles south on a really windy day so I can big ring all the way home, with delusions of grandeur all the way. She just dosn't see it the same as me. Perhaps I'll ask as a birthday present.
me and my buddy always talk about checking the wind direction and just riding with a tail wind until we can't turn the cranks anymore then calling his wife to pick us up. I don't think she'd find it as appealing as us though.
Old 08-27-10, 06:19 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by collegeskier
First group ride in Western Mass was great. I died on the uphill, but the group was no drop so they regrouped and always someone stayed to make sure I made it back which was nice.

First group ride after I moved to NC was with a like C or below group ride supposedly. Went with a friend and rode with what turned out to be the front group that really did not want to be on a group ride about 6 friends if I remember correctly. They were pushing 20 mph most of the time and blew through stop signs even if cars were closing in a little so you could not make it. Why they showed up to this easy group ride I don't know.
When were you riding in Western Mass? I rode with NCC for a few years. Did my first group ride on their Thursday night ride, got my ass dropped once we hit Williamsburg, 9 miles in (where the climbing started). I stuck with it, less than a year later I was one of the reasonably fast guys on that ride.
Old 08-27-10, 07:05 PM
chadwick
Slower than Yesterday

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Specialized Fatboy Carbon Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first group ride ended with me totally hooked on the sport. For the first time ever I felt cycling was relatively easy.

It was a 50 mile organized group ride for the MS-150 team my company had, so it was nice, well-supported, and full of newbs like me.

Before that I had only ridden up to 15 miles on the local bike path and on the streets in my 'hood... so I went from that to riding on rural roads (no shoulders!) and a long, for me, 50 mile ride. I was sore as hell after mile 40 but it was such a blast I haven't looked back since.
Old 08-27-10, 07:13 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good. I think I was 15 and it was the 'B' ride leaving Spin bike shop on Wednesdays. I got to know a few people and I still see them on any given Wednesday. I really can't remember what the ride consisted of, but it was pretty fast and I was introduced to a cool hill I'd never found in my typical riding route.
Anyways, I finally came back to that ride a few weeks ago and got a warm welcome from everyone who I even vaguely knew. It was great to be back.
Old 08-27-10, 08:19 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It went pretty well. I was feeling pretty good and ended up in the rotation about 20 miles into the ride when it turned into a paceline. But I didn't really know what I was doing and toasted myself and almost got dropped off the back after I pulled off. Fortunately, a kind soul saw and gave me a push back in line.

The first time I didn the "Sunday Worlds" ride didn't go quite as well, I did ok on the "out" leg, although I took the shortest of all the options. On the way back when the pace started picking up over 30 I was really struggling. The speed was bad enough but it was inconsistent, especially at the back, and after several times of having to accelerate to catch up then hit the brakes, I was snapped off the back. Fun times.
Old 08-27-10, 10:23 PM
Butcher

Bikes: 2005 S-Works SR Equipped,1978 Tom Ritchie Road bike, Kuwahara Tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first was a no drop B-C ride and I did well, not the last one and kept out of trouble by staying in the back. On the hills, I was the top 1/3. My first 'A' ride got dropped after 65 miles and was the second to the last up the longest hill I have ever challenged. They asked if I was coming back so I must have done OK. Second 'A' ride is tomorrow, probably the same, but you guys promised it would be easier someday. I am certain it will but probably not tomorrow.
Old 08-28-10, 07:03 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by pilechko
My first group ride I was worried about being left behind, so I did a "C" level ride. It was only 25 miles, so I rode 10 miles to get to the starting point. It turned out to be a bunch of people even older than me. I barely broke a sweat, and moved up to a higher level the next time out.
After checking web sites for several groups, I selected one with rides in a nice area, and that also recommended doing a "C" ride to begin with. I did the ride, had a great time riding with really nice people and getting a lot of useful information about the club, including what to expect on other rides. Yes, I was way stronger than these people, but that wasn't the point. I wanted to find out about the club and gather information.
Old 08-28-10, 07:10 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by PRus
First ride was a B ride (20 miles) and i got dropped after 4 miles.The group waited for me three times. The ride leader would not let me quit.
Now four month later finished a 60 mile A+ ride without getting dropped.
I would like to thank all the riders who welcomed and supported me along the way.
No better feeling as to drop back now at times and help pulling a struggling rider back on.
My thoughts exactly. Lots of good people out there.