Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-24, 03:01 AM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
That's a hot color, but I'm distracted by the different spoke patterns on the wheels.
I have never cared for radial lacing (front wheel) or the funky groups of 2 or 3 spokes close together followed by a large gap. It seems that weight reduction may have come at a risk of compromising strength.
My Lemond came with similarly laced wheels and the first change I made was to install a proper set of wheels.
Old 01-02-24, 07:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The color is really neat.
Rest of it? Nope.
Tubes that big on a bike that small look like it's a fat squatty bike, despite knowing it is fast and awesome.
The giant fat stem has the same issue. I really don't care that you have spacers- I have spacers on my bikes and I think bikes with spacers can look great. It's the massive size of the aero style sheadset/spacers/stem that don't look good.
Same for the fork- I get that it's aero shaped, but the legs are so wide on such a small bike, it just adds to the squatty look.

Glass houses and all though- I am 6'5 and fully understand that proportions mean nothing I ride is hot.
I have to agree with this. I'm 5'8" so I can say it. Modern sloping frames with their 2 x 4 tubes and doughnut wheelsets in small sizes are goofy looking. Maybe with a level TT, but when the ST/TT junction sits below/even the top of the wheelset, not hot. It reminds me of some of the art in the old CARtoons Magazine BITD.(If anyone remembers that) I'm sure Sir Mix A Lot likes those bikes because they are thicc. I see more rhino and less cheetah.

Last edited by seypat; 01-02-24 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-02-24, 10:39 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
I have to agree with this. I'm 5'8" so I can say it. Modern sloping frames with their 2 x 4 tubes and doughnut wheelsets in small sizes are goofy looking. Maybe with a level TT, but when the ST/TT junction sits below/even the top of the wheelset, not hot. It reminds me of some of the art in the old CARtoons Magazine BITD.(If anyone remembers that) I'm sure Sir Mix A Lot likes those bikes because they are thicc. I see more rhino and less cheetah

so you are not fond of low ST / TT junctions ? lol
Old 01-02-24, 10:52 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

I don't ride MTBs so I don't look at them. But since you posted it, I'd say it's homely, mostly because of that saddle, the huge stem/handlebar mount and how much those crankarms stick out. Function over looks in those cases. Remember this is the Hot or Not thread. If it's not pleasing to the eye, it's not. That's what the thread is about. In the case of your bike it's made to go all kinds of terrain like a donkey or mule. It's not going to look like a thoroughbred or a quarter horse. That's not it's purpose. And, It doesn't matter if it's a brand new Christmas present you got for one of your kids. I've been through that. It doesn't matter. It's the Hot Or Not thread. That doesn't mean it's not a great present/bike. For my son it was a Fuji Sandblaster BITD. He loved that bike! It had a big, bulbous saddle also.

Last edited by seypat; 01-02-24 at 11:02 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-02-24, 11:16 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
I have never cared for radial lacing (front wheel) or the funky groups of 2 or 3 spokes close together followed by a large gap. It seems that weight reduction may have come at a risk of compromising strength.
My Lemond came with similarly laced wheels and the first change I made was to install a proper set of wheels.
I would bet your Lemond came with Rolf wheels, which use a paired spoke design. The deeper rim profile provides strength that wasn't being provided by a higher spoke count. Lower spoke count (and bladed spokes), improves aero efficiency, too. I rode and raced on Rolfs for a few years, and they were excellent. 20+ years later, I still have those wheels, and they still ride great.

Winning on Rolfs in 2002...

That bike ^^^ is in post #1852 of this thread. It's still in my stable.

Last edited by Eric F; 01-02-24 at 11:24 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 01-02-24, 11:19 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I don't ride MTBs so I don't look at them. But since you posted it, I'd say it's homely, mostly because of that saddle, the huge stem/handlebar mount and how much those crankarms stick out. Function over looks in those cases. Remember this is the Hot or Not thread. If it's not pleasing to the eye, it's not. That's what the thread is about. In the case of your bike it's made to go all kinds of terrain like a donkey or mule. It's not going to look like a thoroughbred or a quarter horse. That's not it's purpose. And, It doesn't matter if it's a brand new Christmas present you got for one of your kids. I've been through that. It doesn't matter. It's the Hot Or Not thread. That doesn't mean it's not a great present/bike. For my son it was a Fuji Sandblaster BITD. He loved that bike! It had a big, bulbous saddle also.
That's not a MTB, it's a BMX bike. The aesthetic is very different. If we use hot road bike criteria for judgement, a BMX bike will never be more than ice cold.
Old 01-02-24, 11:23 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
I don't ride MTBs so I don't look at them. But since you posted it, I'd say it's homely, mostly because of that saddle, the huge stem/handlebar mount and how much those crankarms stick out. Function over looks in those cases. Remember this is the Hot or Not thread. If it's not pleasing to the eye, it's not. That's what the thread is about.
just included that micro bmx bike to get a laugh

I’m a sucker for classic steel - but I really (really) like sloping top tubes … fat tubes … oversized one piece stem / bar … etc etc … I think they are hotter than hot

if I had Turnin_Wrenches bike - I would be tempted to ride it to the nearest 7-11 or Sheetz - and fry a couple of eggs on it … it’s that hot ! lol … but then again - I’m a smurf so that look especially appeals to me
Old 01-02-24, 11:27 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11404 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06

Checkpoint Road Edition. I think I have done everything I planned on with this bike, Only thing left is to chop the periscope but I am not in a rush. I have not done much gravel and just want to make sure with more technical stuff I am happy with it. Other than the periscope, what say you.
Almost hot. My taste in cages and bar tape are different than yours.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 01-02-24, 11:28 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by puma1552

'17 Colnago CR-S. Definitely outdated compared to what's available now, but I still think it looks and rides great. Hard to believe this bike stickered for like $2500 and I paid $1250 for it brand new IIRC. Granted I upgraded the brake calipers to 5800 to make it a true, full 5800 bike and tossed on 5800 pedals and Zondas, but I don't think you could touch this bike today for anywhere near what I paid for it.
Hot. Correct use of white bar tape, cages and saddle.
Old 01-02-24, 11:30 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by t2p

WTF is that, and why is it in this thread?
Old 01-02-24, 12:03 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Almost hot. My taste in cages and bar tape are different than yours.

I had a vision, just didn’t quite make it. I even bought purple hardware for all the attachment points but in some areas the bolts were too long. Cool thing is, cages are not expensive and tape doesn’t break the bank so I can change it up in the future.
Old 01-02-24, 12:03 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by Eric F
I would bet your Lemond came with Rolf wheels, which use a paired spoke design. The deeper rim profile provides strength that wasn't being provided by a higher spoke count. Lower spoke count (and bladed spokes), improves aero efficiency, too. I rode and raced on Rolfs for a few years, and they were excellent. 20+ years later, I still have those wheels, and they still ride great.

Winning on Rolfs in 2002...

That bike ^^^ is in post #1852 of this thread. It's still in my stable.
Yes are correct.
My Rolf wheels did not fail or caused any problems but it was just an old habit based concern - to the point that I was reluctant to hop over the curb when riding on these wheels. I know, probably irrational.
It did not help matters when one my friend’s Rolf wheel developed a tiny crack in the rim at one spoke hole. [He was a little heavier than I, but not overweight by any means.]
Old 01-02-24, 12:30 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
This

and that

The Rona has me pinned down inside so couldn’t stage ‘em outdoors.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 01-02-24, 12:36 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Shadco
This

and that

Hot and hot.

That said, I hope the all-black bike trend is fading. I dig colors.

Tiny setup tip...Position the valve stems at the 6-o'clock position so the labels on the wheels read right-side-up. This is not true for all wheels, but it definitely is for those Campys. The Ultegra wheels are wonky in that regard because there are 3 labels. Tire label orientation also comes into play when deciding between 12-o'clock and 6-o'clock positions.
Old 01-02-24, 12:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Alan K
Yes are correct.
My Rolf wheels did not fail or caused any problems but it was just an old habit based concern - to the point that I was reluctant to hop over the curb when riding on these wheels. I know, probably irrational.
It did not help matters when one my friend’s Rolf wheel developed a tiny crack in the rim at one spoke hole. [He was a little heavier than I, but not overweight by any means.]
Some people had issues with Rolfs, probably most often related to the high spoke tension required for the structure, but it never seemed to me like they were any more or less fragile than any other wheels. I was not gentle with mine. They needed truing a couple of times, but nothing unusual.
Old 01-02-24, 12:57 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by Eric F
Some people had issues with Rolfs, probably most often related to the high spoke tension required for the structure, but it never seemed to me like they were any more or less fragile than any other wheels. I was not gentle with mine. They needed truing a couple of times, but nothing unusual.
I think I have gotten somewhat stuck in time about wheels and feel comfortable only with 32H 2-cross lacing even when it comes at a weight penalty.

My Ti mountain bike came with Chris King hubs radial in the front. It seemed perfectly fine but when I started using it as a winter bike with studded tires, I got a set of 32H XTR hubs and did my usual thing… still ride it that way. During the summer, when I ride it, the old set of wheels go on and the bike gets significantly lighter but that has more to do with normal tires versus studded tires.
Old 01-02-24, 02:30 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
FWIW, I haven't had any issues with my Zondas. In fact I thought I saw somewhere back in the day when I bought them something that said the strongest part of the wheels was the midpoint between the spokes on the rear wheel, but I don't recall. Either way, I'm not gentle on them at 185 lbs and I've never had any issues. They are fantastic wheels for $300ish.
Old 01-02-24, 06:03 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The color is really neat.
Rest of it? Nope.
Tubes that big on a bike that small look like it's a fat squatty bike, despite knowing it is fast and awesome.
The giant fat stem has the same issue.
I really don't care that you have spacers- I have spacers on my bikes and I think bikes with spacers can look great. It's the massive size of the aero style sheadset/spacers/stem that don't look good.
Same for the fork- I get that it's aero shaped, but the legs are so wide on such a small bike, it just adds to the squatty look.

Glass houses and all though- I am 6'5 and fully understand that proportions mean nothing I ride is hot.
Interesting perspective. After reading your comments I can understand your point. It's definitely a small frame (50cm) with big aero tubes... but hey, I'm a small human and therefore must ride tiny bikes . The bike fits me very well, and the performance is excellent. If some folks think it looks like a fat, squatty bike I'm OK with that. All good. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-02-24, 06:10 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
This

and that

Look 765 = Hot... I'm a big fan of Look bikes in general. The 765 is not going to turn heads in the traditional sense, but it's a very well put-together bike. I dig!

As for the Specialized... The headset assembly is definitely not hot. I'm sure it's functional and serves its intended purpose, but it makes me cringe.
Old 01-02-24, 06:22 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
Look 765 = Hot... I'm a big fan of Look bikes in general. The 765 is not going to turn heads in the traditional sense, but it's a very well put-together bike. I dig!

As for the Specialized... The headset assembly is definitely not hot. I'm sure it's functional and serves its intended purpose, but it makes me cringe.
I get that, as my core strength improves it will go down another 10mm, at 71 I’m taking it slow and easy. It’s actually more comfortable than the Look and weighs 2 lbs less. I built both this year and have put about 1800 miles on each with the Spesh getting most of the miles lately. Don’t know if I’ll ever get to a slammed stem but the steerer tube will get trimmed some more. The stock headset cap split and the wolf tooth one wasn’t available in black when I needed it.

67'er
Old 01-02-24, 07:14 PM
bampilot06

This

and that

I agree with Eric. Both are hot, I love the look, but I like color, even if it breaks LAJs golden rule.
Old 01-02-24, 07:16 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches

How do the 2 ride? I don’t know much about Look, but too me it looks like you have 2 climbing bikes. Do you notice a difference in how they handle?
Old 01-02-24, 07:33 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Originally Posted by bampilot06
How do the 2 ride? I don’t know much about Look, but too me it looks like you have 2 climbing bikes. Do you notice a difference in how they handle?
the Look is their endurance spin, the Spesh is their Dentist/Lawyer spin (I am neither, just an old fart).

The Spesh is more stable climbing at lower speeds, tracks better. Feels more secure descending at speed and seems to provide a smoother ride. It’s more nimble in a not twitchy way.

Both are more relaxing to ride compared to my previous ride which wanted my full attention.

I thought I would sell on the one that I liked least but I enjoy both and switch between them often. Something about that Campy feel.

67'er

Last edited by Shadco; 01-07-24 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Complaint from thread starter
Old 01-02-24, 07:40 PM
bampilot06

the Look is their endurance spin, the Spesh is their Dentist/Lawyer spin (I am neither, just an old fart).

The Spesh is more stable climbing at lower speeds, tracks better. Feels more secure descending at speed and seems to provide a smoother ride. It’s more nimble in a not twitchy way.

Both are more relaxing to ride compared to my previous ride which wanted my full attention.

I thought I would sell on the one that I liked least but I enjoy both and switch between them often. Something about that Campy feel.

I built this one 20 years ago but it was just too demanding of my slower responses.

That’s a nice color blue.
I have a white bontrager stem that could potentially look good on that.
Old 01-07-24, 03:43 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 535 Posts
Done some updates on a couple of my old steelies that I'll post now while they looking all clean and fresh, which in January in the UK is a look that won't last long.

Domo Farm Frites Eddy Merckx MX Leader

Tig welded Columbus Max Somec painted by Mario Martini

Rowdy as all hell details from early 90s

Wild paint from any angle
Likes For botty kayer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.