Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-23, 08:58 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
[QUOTE=mhespenheide;23088165]
Originally Posted by mountaindave
mountaindave , There's a 60cm Serotta in that color scheme over on Pinkbike that's been listed for ages. It might even be in Spokane, if I remember correctly.
Not looking!
Old 12-06-23, 12:31 PM
J_Climacus 

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 28 Posts
Listing a few frames that I'm not using at the moment.

First up: I have what was sold to me as a 55.5cm 1976 De Rosa frameset. I say "what was sold to me as" because I have not done research to verify the date myself yet and I didn't see any serial numbers to make identification a closed case. The seller is very knowledgeable and reputable so I have no reason to doubt him. Happy to share more details privately to back up the seller's legitimacy (just don't want to out him on a public post). It was repainted in Italy and they did a good job. There is a paint blemish on the inside of the chainstay. No dents. Comes with a campy headset and bottom bracket. I have to verify this but I think the dropout spacing was 124mm? I don't know why that number sticks out in my head though so I really do need to verify it - I haven't spent a ton of time with this frame yet.

I'd really like to trade this for a 70s or earlier De Rosa in a bit larger of a size - 58-62cm, with 60/61 being the sweet spot. I'm also open to trades for similar caliber Italian or French bikes from the 70s or earlier, or high-quality steel frames from noteworthy American builders of any era (paging Bruce Gordon ). Could be open to other stuff as well, but those are currently my main interest areas. Particular interest in French constructeur bikes of any size, but for the very nice French bikes, I have some things to offer of a higher caliber than this one.

Many more photos available for interested parties.

Old 12-06-23, 12:39 PM
J_Climacus 

Next up is what may be a 1982 Trek 730. This is a frameset that I haven't been able to definitively identify yet. The serial number is 025360, which makes it a 1982 Trek 730 according to the vintage Trek website, but there are a couple things that don't align with that ID.
First, there is a second Trek decal on the downtub, which the 730 did not have. Usually only the very high end Treks had that decal treatment. Second, there are double eyelets on the fork, as well as a mid-fork braze on, presumably for a rack. There are no double eyelets on the rear dropouts, however. So maybe the fork was replaced? But the paint appears original, and it would have been a hell of a color match if the fork was swapped. Could be a 720 fork from the same year, which had the same color. But that still doesn't explain the downtube decal....

I have not really dove into this frame yet. There is a dent on the top tube consistent with a handlebar hitting it. Does not appear to me to be serious or concerning. I checked the stem to make sure it was not seized, but that is the extent of work I have done to this. Have not even wiped it down.

I could be convinced to trade this for a range of things, preferably in a 59-61cm seat tube range.

Old 12-06-23, 12:44 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
Not looking!
Not even if someone obstructs your view with it?
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3177295/
Old 12-06-23, 05:00 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Not even if someone obstructs your view with it?
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3177295/
Old 12-22-23, 12:50 PM
J_Climacus 

I'm looking for a 130mm spaced, 60-61cm road frame to put on a direct drive trainer. Could do 126mm as well and cold set it. Open to completes as well, but starting the search for just framesets. Open to a range of things, but preferences start with lugged steel, particularly lugged steel that has touring or relaxed geometry. Would definitely consider nice frames that need a repaint, but also open to frames in good shape. What I have on offer to trade would depend on what bike you had to give up. I also have quite a few vintage components to trade if the frame on offer was of a lower tier.

Anyone got anything good?
Old 12-22-23, 08:16 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Climacus
I'm looking for a 130mm spaced, 60-61cm road frame to put on a direct drive trainer. Could do 126mm as well and cold set it. Open to completes as well, but starting the search for just framesets. Open to a range of things, but preferences start with lugged steel, particularly lugged steel that has touring or relaxed geometry. Would definitely consider nice frames that need a repaint, but also open to frames in good shape. What I have on offer to trade would depend on what bike you had to give up. I also have quite a few vintage components to trade if the frame on offer was of a lower tier.

I don’t have anything good, but I’m loosing my enthusiasm for completing my Allez Catastrophé
its an 84 or 87 Merz.
it was beat to heck when I got it.
I’ve made some repairs and covered it with plum SprayBike and expensive 2K clear.

if you’re interested I can send you many details.

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/28780430
Old 12-28-23, 12:48 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Climacus

I have an early 70s Dawes Galaxy frame. Paint stripped, chrome good. Frame and fork. One of the fork dropouts is loose, but not pulling out. Almost like they forgot to braze it. Was probably ridden like that for decades.

It’s on the large size for me, but let me check to see if it’s a 60.

Old 01-28-24, 02:07 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
1973 Raleigh Competition 21.5”

I believe very low miles but stored improperly. The rust is removed,California approved chemical paint removal, it got an OA bath and the BB has been chased at the lbs. Top tube is 57 ctc and I can make it work but I WANT TO TRADE FOR 1973 23.5.
The F&F are hanging and waiting for me to paint and transform it into a John Deere Green, boat hauler with a 22/32 double unless I can trade. I’ll post pics if anyone has a med lg 73 Comp.
Old 01-31-24, 02:18 PM
cityjake

Bikes: cheap Schwinn Regent (fixed gear); 80's Miyata 310; 1963 Schwinn Typhoon klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an eighties Raleigh mixte bike -- 19"/49cm? Broken down to frame and a box of components at this point, but I have everything that came on the bike. Looks like just under 100mm fork spacing (96mm?) and 130mm frame spacing (which is kinda weird -- I was expecting 120 or maybe 126mm...). Wheels are 27 x 1-1/4. Ten speed. And, of course, cottered cranks (and I have a 73mm spindle that I was going to try to use with original BB cups to install a different crankset, a la Sheldon...). Happy to swap with someone who really wants it. I don't think I can post pics yet bc I'm new to forum, but happy to DM pics if anyone's interested.

I'm looking for pretty much any old steel road bike in the 22-23"/57-58cm range to convert to 1x or SS or hacked fixed gear. Prefer English threaded BB, but not that picky. Not even really afraid of cottered cranks anymore. I'm in the Chicago area (North Shore).
Likes For cityjake:
Old 02-10-24, 02:24 PM
tkm

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
Mid 80's Nashbar "Terra XT" cro-mo frameset. This was possibly their TOTL frame as it had full Deerhead XT on it.

Measures 17.5" from center of BB to top of seat tube. It's in excellent condition, hardly ridden and really only one scratch on it. Tange headset.

Too small for me, would trade for an equally nice road or mountain frameset in a slightly larger size. Can send more/better pics if interested.

Last edited by tkm; 02-11-24 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For tkm:
Old 02-12-24, 12:05 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by tkm
Mid 80's Nashbar "Terra XT" cro-mo frameset. This was possibly their TOTL frame as it had full Deerhead XT on it.

Measures 17.5" from center of BB to top of seat tube. It's in excellent condition, hardly ridden and really only one scratch on it. Tange headset.

Too small for me, would trade for an equally nice road or mountain frameset in a slightly larger size. Can send more/better pics if interested.
any success in your quest ?
while I am in no one looking for ANOTHER 26in wheeled trail bike, I do have this Meile I recently regreased and repalced the cables and housings on. Presently I have my studded ice tires on it.... now that our 2 weeks of icy weather are over...
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/30555250

I also have an '89 Bianchi I would like to unload. It's presently sitting in my son's detroit appt.

POSSIBLY - I might be able to get my hands on a sized up StumpJumper sitting at my LBS. He's trying to get me to haul it away. It's a little rough. I think it's white. If you're interested, I can see what we can see!

Rattle canned Bianchi - clears only a 2in tire... barely.
Old 02-20-24, 08:27 PM
tkm

Originally Posted by mrv
any success in your quest ?
while I am in no one looking for ANOTHER 26in wheeled trail bike, I do have this Meile I recently regreased and repalced the cables and housings on. Presently I have my studded ice tires on it.... now that our 2 weeks of icy weather are over...
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/30555250

I also have an '89 Bianchi I would like to unload. It's presently sitting in my son's detroit appt.

POSSIBLY - I might be able to get my hands on a sized up StumpJumper sitting at my LBS. He's trying to get me to haul it away. It's a little rough. I think it's white. If you're interested, I can see what we can see!

Rattle canned Bianchi - clears only a 2in tire... barely.
No takers yet. Not sure I want a frame that's too rough unless it's something special. That Bianchi might make a fun resto project though. What was it originally?

https://www.gringineer.com/blogs/gri...anchi-catalog/
Old 02-21-24, 04:42 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by tkm
No takers yet. Not sure I want a frame that's too rough unless it's something special. That Bianchi might make a fun resto project though. What was it originally?

https://www.gringineer.com/blogs/gri...anchi-catalog/
- Bianchi Incline

Pic below of the original purchase. I still have the original seat and bars (Celeste).
I replaced the cables with yellow, as shown. I thought I had more photos. I can try to dig up if you are so .... Inclined (see what i did there....)
Besides only clearing a 2.0in tire, I think it's a decently basic frame. Or maybe a basically decent frame - lugged, I think double butted tubing. Cannot recall the flavor of steel. It might be in the catalog you linked, which does show the Incline.
cheers!

Old 02-22-24, 02:43 PM
tkm

Originally Posted by mrv
- Bianchi Incline

Pic below of the original purchase. I still have the original seat and bars (Celeste).
I replaced the cables with yellow, as shown. I thought I had more photos. I can try to dig up if you are so .... Inclined (see what i did there....)
Besides only clearing a 2.0in tire, I think it's a decently basic frame. Or maybe a basically decent frame - lugged, I think double butted tubing. Cannot recall the flavor of steel. It might be in the catalog you linked, which does show the Incline.
cheers!
I sent you a PM.