Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-07, 09:36 PM
Black Shuck
cycling n00b

Bikes: EAI Brassknuckle fixed Sannino fixed, Thorn Club Tour, Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took my first longer ride of the year last saturday, brought the camera so I guess I have to post a pic :-)

121.86km in 5:58 saddle time, about 7 hours with breaks for snacks and visiting bushes.
Old 05-16-07, 10:54 AM
Big Ron
Rim crusher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'4" ~ 235 pounds. A fair amount of muscle mixed with a fair amount of belly fat. I can do sub 5 hour centuries as long as it's not too hilly. Love to drop the shaved leg twigboys on their $5000 bikes....I'm on a Raleigh Supercourse which I purchased 2 yrs ago for ~ $900-went through three rims on it before they finally gave a 32 spoke Mavic touring rim...no problems since then. Shredded my carbon fiber seat post too. Carbon is definitely not very clydesdale friendly
Old 05-16-07, 01:20 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kuroiarashi
Hello to my fellow Clydesdales,

I wanted to read through all of the posts in this awesome thread before I made my first post, and I finally did it. I'm 6' 1" and 357 lbs. At my heaviest, I was 409 lbs. in November of '06, with a BP of 146/90. My wife and I have been walking for exercise for about 3 years, but I've been inconsistent and lackadaisical towards it for most of the time. That attitude was wiped out once I saw those scales go over 400. Today, I'm down 52 lbs., working hard at leading an active lifestyle (no small feat for a software developer), and my BP is down to 128/78.

We've been wanting to get bikes for some time, both to add another option to the physical activity and because bikes are just plain cool. Frankly, I can't think of a better way to reward myself for 50 lbs of weight loss and my wife for being super supportive. We picked them up yesterday, an '05 Giant Cypress LX for me and an '06 Giant Cypress DX for the Mrs. We're still working out how best to mix cycling in with walking as far as exercise, but I'm just having fun riding again.

The stories on here are so encouraging to me as I head towards my first goal of 300. I hope to learn a great deal, and to be able to add something encouraging for someone else.
Welcome to Clyde's, K! Yup, we are a supportive and nonjudgmental community here

As to hitting your goal, well, all I can say is that yes, you can do it. I'll even hit you with an award certificate when you hit the 300 mark as well as if you hit "Emeritus" status, by dropping 1 pound below 200!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-17-07, 09:48 AM
brucep86

Bikes: Trek 7000 Mountain Bike (94), Will soon own a new Specialized Roubaix Expert Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm in the Clydesdales Group also. 6' 3" 212, and dropping. After a cruise in January I came back at 236. Even with running marathons, I find that you just can't eat what ever you want anymore.

I haven't done much running since Nov of 06 due to a knee problem and am now getting into cycling to add to my running. In addition to my 94 Trek 7000 mountain bike, and a 76 Schwinn Le Tour II, I hope to have a new bike road bike very soon.

I hope to do some scenic century rides and also try a Tri.

Bruce
Houston, TX
Old 05-17-07, 06:14 PM
Redhouse

Bikes: Trek Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I just joined and was happy to see a forum with info for us Bigger guy's. It's nice to see I'm not the only 6'3" 300 pounder out there riding. I just started riding this past month as part of a weight loss and work out thing I'm doing. I'm down almost 20 pounds, on my way to 250 by the end of the year I hope.
Old 05-19-07, 01:51 AM
AtomicCactus

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Elite, 2001 CCM Heat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh, I always wondered what people would think of a 200+ lb cyclist.

Anyhow, I'm 6'1" @ 209 lbs.

This is what I ride: CCM Heat (yay deparment store bike)

Hope to pick up a Giant OCR1 this summer. Seems now-a-days I do more road cycling than off-road.
Old 05-19-07, 09:47 PM
dvickery
Felt Rider

Bikes: Felt Racing Road Bike & Schwinn Moab II al. MTN Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 40 years old - somewhere between 6'4" - 6'5" and weigh 220 lbs. with 19.3% body fat. I know this because today was the final weigh-in of our 'Biggest Loser' challenge at work. I came in at 6th place out of 15 people. I had already began losing weight before the challenge though... At the beginning of the year, I was at 250 lbs. I was actually in pretty good shape when I blew out disk #7 in my lower neck. The pain put me outta action and into depression. Taking pain killers, drinking beer and sitting in the hot tub at the gym became bad habits which led me to tiping the scales at my highest weight ever. Since then, I've recovered quite a bit and am able to get back into the fitness scene.

I use to be an avid MT. biker (Schwinn Moab II AL - 1999). I always wanted to give road riding a try so a few weeks ago I purchased a Felt F90 63cm - 2006 at the local bike shop. Wow!, what a difference in riding on the road.. I'm hooked.

The other day I rode by a large window and saw myself in the reflection and thought I looked to big for my bike. I'm a little sensitive about my size so I sat on my bike and had my daughter take some pictures so I could analyze.

My goal is to lose 20 more lbs = 200.

Old 05-19-07, 09:50 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

You look fine! Another twenty will place you right at your peak fitness point, I suspect though.

Old 05-22-07, 06:32 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by kuroiarashi
Hello to my fellow Clydesdales,

I wanted to read through all of the posts in this awesome thread before I made my first post, and I finally did it. I'm 6' 1" and 357 lbs. At my heaviest, I was 409 lbs. in November of '06, with a BP of 146/90. My wife and I have been walking for exercise for about 3 years, but I've been inconsistent and lackadaisical towards it for most of the time. That attitude was wiped out once I saw those scales go over 400. Today, I'm down 52 lbs., working hard at leading an active lifestyle (no small feat for a software developer), and my BP is down to 128/78.

We've been wanting to get bikes for some time, both to add another option to the physical activity and because bikes are just plain cool. Frankly, I can't think of a better way to reward myself for 50 lbs of weight loss and my wife for being super supportive. We picked them up yesterday, an '05 Giant Cypress LX for me and an '06 Giant Cypress DX for the Mrs. We're still working out how best to mix cycling in with walking as far as exercise, but I'm just having fun riding again.

The stories on here are so encouraging to me as I head towards my first goal of 300. I hope to learn a great deal, and to be able to add something encouraging for someone else.
Hi,

I rented a Giant Cypress while I was in Cleveland last week, and it's a good bike. Better than my Trek Navigator in fact. Photos of it are on my blog.

You might want to consider setting smaller goals. When I was dropping from my high of 385, I set ten pound a month goals. I needed the challenge to keep me motivated. But whatever you've been doing is working, so as long as it is working, don't stop. Keep up the good work!

Old 05-22-07, 06:41 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by dvickery
I'm 40 years old - somewhere between 6'4" - 6'5" and weigh 220 lbs. with 19.3% body fat. I know this because today was the final weigh-in of our 'Biggest Loser' challenge at work. I came in at 6th place out of 15 people. I had already began losing weight before the challenge though... At the beginning of the year, I was at 250 lbs. I was actually in pretty good shape when I blew out disk #7 in my lower neck. The pain put me outta action and into depression. Taking pain killers, drinking beer and sitting in the hot tub at the gym became bad habits which led me to tiping the scales at my highest weight ever. Since then, I've recovered quite a bit and am able to get back into the fitness scene.

I use to be an avid MT. biker (Schwinn Moab II AL - 1999). I always wanted to give road riding a try so a few weeks ago I purchased a Felt F90 63cm - 2006 at the local bike shop. Wow!, what a difference in riding on the road.. I'm hooked.

The other day I rode by a large window and saw myself in the reflection and thought I looked to big for my bike. I'm a little sensitive about my size so I sat on my bike and had my daughter take some pictures so I could analyze.

My goal is to lose 20 more lbs = 200.

Hmm, perhaps my opinion isn't the best one to accept, but I think you could use a little more saddle height. Other than that, you look great and you look great on the bike.

I'm going to be riding soon with a bike club member who is 6'4". He had to have a bike frame custom made for him, a 66 cm Serotta.

Old 05-23-07, 04:24 AM
openside-7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello to all - I am 6'3" and just over 200lbs, but I still qualify!! In my previous athletic life, I was a rugby player, so I am still carrying around weight that isn't much use on the bike!! Ideally, I think I could loose 10-15lbs, but I have no dietry discipline. Currently riding around 150 miles a week on a Look 461. I also mountain bike and took part in my first race last weekend, and I'm aiming to do my first cyclocross race this winter. Even if I loose a pound or two, I'll always consider myself a clydesdale!!

Here's a link to a pic of me in my first race:

https://www.colinrobinsonimaging.com/...0-d2x_3215.htm

I'll post some pics of my bikes when I can work out how to do it!
Old 05-23-07, 02:45 PM
Ramrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy,
I am 6'0.5", and yes I count that half inch! Currently 225 as I was born 230 clothed. I have always been heavy but it all got worse after 10 years of very little exercise. Had an accident with my knee running and just gave up. The past year of riding took off 30 lbs but I have stalled since. The weight only really bothers me when I can't climb the next hill.
I have a trek 5200and a novara randonee. I use the trek on weekends for fun rides and recently bought the Randonee under the guise of commuter. However I secretly plan on getting into touring. Just don't tell the owner/wife!
I ride 75 miles a week but I cover over 6000 feet of climb during those miles, so I am happy.
I would post a picture of me on the Randonee but I don't yet have a picture of Ethel. So, here I am the day Lilith and I made it home the first time.

BTW thats my little boy and I a year ago when I got back into riding. Its been a good year.
Old 05-24-07, 02:22 AM
openside-7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome bike and awesome boy! Thanks for sharing a great picture!
Old 05-25-07, 03:14 PM
Stujoe
This Space For Rent

Bikes: 2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Where were all the Clydesdales 20 years ago!

First off, I am 6'1" and around 265lbs so I think I qualify. I used to bike a lot when I was in my 20ies and I was big for most of that too...started at 220lbs but did end up around 170lbs at my lightest. Used to ride a Specialized Street Stomper. It was stolen when I was stationed in Korea in 1996.

Now I am 41 and haven't ridden much in the last 10 years. Just on and off but I am really getting the itch to start up again because I always loved it. Right now, my bike is nothing to speak of...a Walmart special. A Next something. Bought it a few years ago just to have a bike but haven't ridden it a lot. I am going to start back off again on it until it gets beat down or I decide I want to get serious again. Then it will be off to the bike store.

I also enjoy photography so I am planning on combining the 2 hobbies and taking my small camera with me wherever I ride.
Old 05-25-07, 03:32 PM
beingtxstate
Disgruntled grad student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everybody,

I may have posted here a while ago, I haven't been on this forum in almost a year (grad school consumes is all I can say...) I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs. riding a Trek 7.2FX in Central Texas. I pretty much commute everywhere, though my mileage isn't very high, maybe 7-10 miles every other day.

Here is a current pic of the ride:

If got fenders and 700x33 tires b/c the weather here has been really wet and the road I have to take to get anywhere is a construction warzone...grrr I am riding for several reasons.

I do want to get in better shape, and touring has really piqued my interest. I look forward to my first century, though I'm not sure when I'll get there. I'm tying to get my wife in the game, maybe when we move to IL this summer I can get her a bike as well.

I am tired of consuming so many resources...I don't really need to drive, so why? Not to mention I am much happier riding than driving anyday!

Well that's a good start. I enjoy this forum, and this sub group is just right for me!
Old 05-25-07, 03:45 PM
dozercsx
Northern CA 'Bent Rider

Bikes: Burley Canto, Vision R40 LWB, Rans Vivo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Team,

This is a great thread - it's good to know there are fellow Clydesdales out there!

I have what I think are some important, out of the box insights to share - there is a great, emerging market out there for Clydesdale recumbents, like the one I'm on in this picture - Chromoly frames, smaller/stronger wheels, and at and recumbent manufacturer (like RANS) who offer a waay overbuilt bike specifically for the Clydesdale set. BTW I'm 6'1", 235, love to ride, but I have problems with my knees which prevent me from riding "wedgies" (regular bikes) - recumbents relieve the pressure on my hands, shoulders, knees, and pressure from those tiny little seats which I'm sure you Clydesdales all LOVE. This picture is from Skyline Blvd in NorCal, which we've just climbed Hwy 9 from Saratoga to get to. These bikes are FAST, COMFORTABLE, let you breath better (since your'e not doubled over) and even makes you look a little slimmer - what's not to love?

Anyway, I've been riding with my wedgie friends for a few years now, and they've adjusted to my recumbents pretty well. And at the end of the day, there is no downside to riding as much as you can, and on a recumbent, it's awful easy to ride alot without pain or discomfort. Not to mention they're really, really fast...!

Anyway, keep on pedalling, and if any of the above sounds even a bit familiar for you, don't hesitate to try one of these - they are fantastic!

<<Sorry guys - I can't figure out how to post a picture - I'll keep working on it, then add it later, unless someone has quick instructions!>>

Last edited by dozercsx; 05-25-07 at 04:03 PM. Reason: didn't include picture
Old 05-25-07, 07:31 PM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right on

Originally Posted by Stujoe
Wow. Where were all the Clydesdales 20 years ago!

First off, I am 6'1" and around 265lbs so I think I qualify. I used to bike a lot when I was in my 20ies and I was big for most of that too...started at 220lbs but did end up around 170lbs at my lightest. Used to ride a Specialized Street Stomper. It was stolen when I was stationed in Korea in 1996.

Now I am 41 and haven't ridden much in the last 10 years. Just on and off but I am really getting the itch to start up again because I always loved it. Right now, my bike is nothing to speak of...a Walmart special. A Next something. Bought it a few years ago just to have a bike but haven't ridden it a lot. I am going to start back off again on it until it gets beat down or I decide I want to get serious again. Then it will be off to the bike store.

I also enjoy photography so I am planning on combining the 2 hobbies and taking my small camera with me wherever I ride.
I like to combine photography with my cycling also. I am 260 at 5'11" but have been riding steady now for about four years. The weight has gone down and then back up and now down again. Had an injury that kept me sedentary for about 8 months and had to baby myself back on the bike. Portion control is my problem and I am finding thats where I get results. You may want to check out my page and look at the background shot. I took it on a recent ride and its also the last shot in the slideshow. Just pedaled up a long climb, was dog tired and poof! There it was! The photo was worth the effort.

My site: https://www.myspace.com/eccentriccyclistcharlie
Old 05-25-07, 07:46 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by dozercsx
Team,

This is a great thread - it's good to know there are fellow Clydesdales out there!

I have what I think are some important, out of the box insights to share - there is a great, emerging market out there for Clydesdale recumbents, like the one I'm on in this picture - Chromoly frames, smaller/stronger wheels, and at and recumbent manufacturer (like RANS) who offer a waay overbuilt bike specifically for the Clydesdale set. BTW I'm 6'1", 235, love to ride, but I have problems with my knees which prevent me from riding "wedgies" (regular bikes) - recumbents relieve the pressure on my hands, shoulders, knees, and pressure from those tiny little seats which I'm sure you Clydesdales all LOVE. This picture is from Skyline Blvd in NorCal, which we've just climbed Hwy 9 from Saratoga to get to. These bikes are FAST, COMFORTABLE, let you breath better (since your'e not doubled over) and even makes you look a little slimmer - what's not to love?

Anyway, I've been riding with my wedgie friends for a few years now, and they've adjusted to my recumbents pretty well. And at the end of the day, there is no downside to riding as much as you can, and on a recumbent, it's awful easy to ride alot without pain or discomfort. Not to mention they're really, really fast...!

Anyway, keep on pedalling, and if any of the above sounds even a bit familiar for you, don't hesitate to try one of these - they are fantastic!

<<Sorry guys - I can't figure out how to post a picture - I'll keep working on it, then add it later, unless someone has quick instructions!>>
Easy way: Host it on Photobucket and paste in the forum code and you get a pic like this!

Old 05-25-07, 07:50 PM
Stujoe
This Space For Rent

Bikes: 2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a beautiful shot. I am going to search for some photo biking threads here pretty quick.

And, I totally understand the portion control thing.
Old 05-25-07, 10:35 PM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the group, but not new to being a clydesdale! I am 25 years old, 6' 2" and 287 lbs. I used to mountain bike in high school, but nothing too serious. After college, I became a Network Engineer (computer guy), and all those hours at the computer didn't help the weight. I've decided to shed the pounds, and cycling seems like the best option for me. To boot, St. Louis has done a lot to promote bicycling by creating a bunch of new trails and adding bike lanes to lots of roads. Of late, I've been borrowing a buddy's road bike (80's Schwinn World Sport) and I'm loving it. I've been to a couple bike shops to get some ideas, but haven't decided on a bike of my own yet. I'm leaning towards the Giant OCR2 or the Trek 1200 (or Pilot 1.2 now), but just can't seem to commit. I'm hoping to get something in the $600 price range; I've noticed that last year's $900 whatever is usually around $600 now. Does anyone have any suggestions for sub-$1000 (retail) bikes for guys our size?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to contributing to the "I lost 80 pounds and you can do it to" testimonials.

Tony
Old 05-26-07, 11:51 AM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trich
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the group, but not new to being a clydesdale! I am 25 years old, 6' 2" and 287 lbs. I used to mountain bike in high school, but nothing too serious. After college, I became a Network Engineer (computer guy), and all those hours at the computer didn't help the weight. I've decided to shed the pounds, and cycling seems like the best option for me. To boot, St. Louis has done a lot to promote bicycling by creating a bunch of new trails and adding bike lanes to lots of roads. Of late, I've been borrowing a buddy's road bike (80's Schwinn World Sport) and I'm loving it. I've been to a couple bike shops to get some ideas, but haven't decided on a bike of my own yet. I'm leaning towards the Giant OCR2 or the Trek 1200 (or Pilot 1.2 now), but just can't seem to commit. I'm hoping to get something in the $600 price range; I've noticed that last year's $900 whatever is usually around $600 now. Does anyone have any suggestions for sub-$1000 (retail) bikes for guys our size?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to contributing to the "I lost 80 pounds and you can do it to" testimonials.

Tony
Jamis makes a good steel touring style bike that has 36 spoke wheels and decent components although the best deal out there is the Surly Long Haul Trucker or Crosscheck as a complete bike. They are around $1000 and offer a stout steel frame and good components. These types of bicycles are the most versatile and will take wider tires. Something a heavy rider needs. The Trek 1200 is a more race orientated bike with close clearances, narrow tires, aluminum frame and generally not what guys our weight and size should be riding IMHO. Not sure about the OCR2 but it sounds like every other bike in that price point. Buy steel, you will thank me later. Check out Surly bikes online.
Old 05-26-07, 02:03 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
205, 5'8". I started at 225 last year, added cycling about 2 months ago. If I get to 199, do I lose posting privileges?

Me on the Raritan River towpath this morning:

My bands:
Old 05-26-07, 03:18 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by neilfein
205, 5'8". I started at 225 last year, added cycling about 2 months ago. If I get to 199, do I lose posting privileges?

Me on the Raritan River towpath this morning:

Nope, if you hit 199, I give you a "Clyde Emeritus" certificate though and you serve as an example to others it can be done. Of course you can still post here.

Old 05-26-07, 06:28 PM
Littlejohn

Bikes: Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'6" 340lbs

I've been on the site for a couple of weeks I figure I'd join. You guys inadvertanly helped me choose my bike (25" Trek 7300) which I've only had for 3 days now. I put 7 miles on her today, not to shabby for a second ride in 15+ years. I'm riding for my health, I've learned at 31 that a sedentary life style coupled with stress will kill you quicker than anything. I can already tell a difference in my leg strength and a boost in my energy level. Now if I could just quit drinking beer...
Old 05-26-07, 10:50 PM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
poundage

Originally Posted by Littlejohn
6'6" 340lbs

I've been on the site for a couple of weeks I figure I'd join. You guys inadvertanly helped me choose my bike (25" Trek 7300) which I've only had for 3 days now. I put 7 miles on her today, not to shabby for a second ride in 15+ years. I'm riding for my health, I've learned at 31 that a sedentary life style coupled with stress will kill you quicker than anything. I can already tell a difference in my leg strength and a boost in my energy level. Now if I could just quit drinking beer...
There is always light beer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.