Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17, 06:51 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Athlete: Sara
Venue: Hellyer Park Velodrome
Date: 06/28/17
Race: Fast Forward Omnium Series and District Keirin Finals
Category: W/Cat 4

After less than enjoyable experiences with the "Geezer Series" Vie 13 Omnium races at Hellyer earlier in the summer (racing with Cat 1/2 men and Cat 2 women), I decided, after receiving some sage advice, to try my hand at the women's omnium in the already well underway Fast Forward Omnium Series at Hellyer Park Velodrome. This is a Wednesday night race series, and there have been large women's fields, large enough to where the promoter has broken out the 4/5's from the 1/2/3/4 races. Last night's race also featured the NCNCA District Keirin qualifier and finals. The night's races are decided upon by the promoter the night of the event. Last night, in addition to the Keirins, there was to be a tempo race, a points race, and a scratch race for each of the men and women's groups. There was large turnout, more than sixty racers in all, and twenty of those were women. It was such a party atmosphere. Awesome!

I'm a Cat 3 on the road, but a Cat 4 on the track, due to my lack of experience there. Yes, folks, this is my first season racing on the banked ovals, and I have very few reps in mass start events on the velodrome. I am concentrating on sprint events, for sure, which are single rider TT style timed races (for the most part). However, I don't mind getting out there and racing some "crits without brakes". A women's 4/5 field was offered, and there were, with me, twelve women in it. I could race the 1/2/3/4 women's events, as well, but I doubted I'd have the energy reserves to try six races, even though they were short races.

I decided not to contest the Keirin. If you don't know what a Keirin is, it's race in which the six riders are paced by a motor (a derney bike or a motorcycle) for the first five laps, and then the final two laps are a sprint to the finish. It's a fast, intense race! The motor drops the field off at 31 MPH, and things ramp way up from there. I spoke with one of the coaches at Hellyer, AB, who was at the race, about contesting it, thinking I'd do just the qualifier to get a taste of it, and she said it would probably do my legs no good, I still had three tough races to follow. She pointed out that the tempo race by itself would be fast. So, I decided to sit the Keirin out.

I did a ten lap warmup in a spiny gear, 48/16 (82 inches). The last lap was a flyer in the sprinters lane to push the heartrate and open things up. I felt sore and a little stiff, no wonder considering all of the hard riding I'd been doing over the last week. I thought, it was what it was, good enough, and let's go race. For the racing, I put my Zipp 950 disk on the bike, on which I had fitted a 15 tooth cog, which gave me 86 gear inches. That was still a relatively low gear, but cadence is my friend right now, and I'd rather spin than fry my legs pushing too tall a gear. Because there was no wind, I rode my Planet X five spoke wheel on the front.

The first race for me was a 6 lap tempo race. It started following the Keirin races, the qualifiers and first rounds. In this short race, the first two riders across the line on each lap are awarded points, two points for first, and one point for second. The cumulative points are added towards the Omnium total. We lined up at the rail and rolled out neutral at the chief ref's call. After one third of a lap, the whistle blew and the race was on. I slotted into the middle of the pack, above the stayers line, with riders on either side of me and on the wheel of another rider. The pace was mellow at first and then it started to come up. It took me a few moments to get used to the close quarters and to moving up track slightly to control my speed. Consider that this pack was tighter than a crit, and there was no freewheel or brakes on the bikes. Coming out of the last turn (turn four) on lap one, the pace came up and things got fun, and stayed that way for the rest of the race. I didn't want to be pushed down to the bottom of the track, in the sprinters lane, because at a high pace it's hard to move up track, to the right, and you can get boxed in down there. You can get gapped there, too, which means you can get dropped. So, I made concerted efforts to stay in the middle, although at one point, an opportunity presented itself to get to the front by moving left and following a faster wheel. I took it, too. This was fun! We were moving along faster than most crits I've been in, in fact 32 MPH was routine. I tried to get to the front on several attempts, but I didn't quite make it. On the fifth lap, right after crossing the line, the pace slowed, and then drastically slowed coming through turn two. You don't want to back pedal, it really uses energy, but I couldn't move right so I had to. Just as quickly, a jump was made at the front, and off the pack went, and I got caught napping. A gap opened, and I was just too far back and too slow to catch the pack, but I crossed the line chasing hard, and really enjoying what I had just done!

After a long break while other races went on, it was time for my next race, a 15 lap points race. This race is just like a crit, points are awarded on bell laps, like primes. It can be fast! Once again, we lined up the rail, rolled off neutral at the chief ref's call, and then started at the whistle on the back straight. Unlike the tempo race, this one went nuts from the whistle. I was once again in the middle, and I was juking around to stay there and stay safe. On the second lap, I found myself at the bottom of the track, in the sprinters lane, with a overlap on the girl to my right. I sensed she'd move down on me, so I used the trackie call - "STAY!!" - and all was good. Track races are surgy, but not like a crit, it's much smoother. Still, you have to be on your toes! I got caught behind a slower wheel when I moved up track to an opening, and got gapped. I dropped back into the sprinters lane and took off, and made it across the gap to the pack. When I got up there, I had a funny thought that the girl in front of me was really spinning, and then I realized that I was, too! (128 RPM) We were flying, as well, and I was feeling quite good. Somehow, I ended up on the front, and I took the opportunity to slow the pace. I didn't want to be the pointy end at 26 or 27 MPH, it just uses too many of my precious matches. As soon as I could, I did an exchange, and got behind a girl above the stayers line, mid pack or so. That was an error. I should have dropped below her and picked a better wheel, but I didn't know. As it turned out, with five to go, the pack took off, she delayed, I delayed, and by then the gap was too big for me to close. There were two or three other girls behind me, and they were content to let me pace. If I'd known they were there, I'd have made an exchange and made them do some work. One girl finally came around me on the last lap and told me to get on her wheel (doh!), and I did, and then she sprinted away from so she could finish eleventh. Whatever...

THAT WAS MAJOR FUN!

I didn't stick around for the final race of the night, which was a scratch race. It was past 10 PM by then, and I had an hour and change drive, and I needed to eat!

I have no idea where I finished, or how many points I collected, and it doesn't matter. What did matter was that I had good legs, I was determined to ride hard as I could, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Where else, if you like crits, can you race several short crits in one event, and go flat out FASTER than you do on the road?

The track is the only place I know of!!

Thanks for reading!!
Old 06-30-17, 07:47 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

3rd in the points race, brain farted to the podium in the 2k for 5th. Nats podiums aren't the worst thing but hoping for a jersey before the week is through.
Old 06-30-17, 09:09 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Sounds pretty fun, @sarals!

Rip their legs off this weekend, @Racer Ex.
Old 06-30-17, 01:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
@Racer Ex Congrats...Be the boss of that bike.
Old 06-30-17, 01:21 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@sarals Congrats on the racing and I am happy that you are having so much fun at the track.
Old 07-01-17, 08:35 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Coach, I've been following closely!!! Way to go, my friend!!
Old 07-01-17, 08:45 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@sarals - Great riding and report!
@racerEx - 3rd and 5th at Nats and the week ain't over yet.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-02-17, 09:23 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by revchuck
@sarals - Great riding and report!
@racerEx - 3rd and 5th at Nats and the week ain't over yet.
Ex is pretty awesome, isn't he?

So is Barb, my friend and teammie!

@revchuck, mass start track racing is SO COOL! Yes, I'm concentrating on the sprint, but to be able to go out and do several short crits in an evening, where you get a chance to critique your performance and then try something different each time, is very attractive! It's also a lot less expensive than racing a crit on the road. To think it took me and my hard head all this time to do this....

As Coach tells me - Monkey Brain!
Old 07-03-17, 08:17 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
And the final tally is every podium step but the caddy. 2nd in the Team Pursuit, 4th in the Team Sprint.

Can't complain. Definitely one of the toughest/largest age groups. Rode well, did the 3rd position in the TS and had the fastest lap of the folks riding that position. Strong in the TP. We lost to a WC's team by 1.1s.

Steak knives. Beats getting fired.
Old 07-03-17, 09:12 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Wow. You're right, there's no complaining there! Darned great racing, Ex!!
Old 07-03-17, 10:23 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
And the final tally is every podium step but the caddy. 2nd in the Team Pursuit, 4th in the Team Sprint.

Can't complain. Definitely one of the toughest/largest age groups. Rode well, did the 3rd position in the TS and had the fastest lap of the folks riding that position. Strong in the TP. We lost to a WC's team by 1.1s.

Steak knives. Beats getting fired.
Congrats! Well done against some tough competition. There are indeed worse things in life than racing well against tough competition and being 'that close'.

Old 07-03-17, 10:50 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Great week of racing @Racer Ex.
Old 07-04-17, 09:57 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by Hermes
Great week of racing @Racer Ex.
+1! The rest week is hard-earned!

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-08-17, 04:53 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11407 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
Super work, @Racer Ex!

Good stuff, @sarals!
Old 07-09-17, 02:01 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

July 2017 Piru 20K ITT, W3/4/5, 1st of 2, PR by 6 sec, 1st race in the new position

We have been in the extreme heat wave, temps in the 110F range but today was forecast to be a little cooler, with highs "only" 100-105F. I am miserable in heat and kind of just wanted to go out and noodle around on the mountain bike. But I also wanted to race, to test the new position and also to try out some heat management strategies of Ex's. Forecast for our race was 82F at race start and 87F by race end and that's pretty much what we got, not as terrible as later today will be. I couldn't pass up on the chance to race in the heat and try to figure out how to manage that, so off I went.

Warm up went well- found a nice shady spot, used my fan (I always do on the trainer, even when its 40F), kept myself wet, drank a little extra. Felt pretty decent at the end of the warm-up, not too hot.

We had a held start today and I wound up scrambling a little to get to the race start (stuffing ice into my skinsuit, lol), so I didn't notice the held start. I was in a bit of a too-easy gear as a consequence, but I got off ok.

We had a slight (3mph) headwind heading out, and the outbound leg is slightly downhill. I felt pretty cool and looking at my data, I see that the moving bike was experiencing temps maybe 5F lower than the still air temp, so it really wasn't bad.

I find in this new position, I can put out really good power when on slight downhill grades and today was no exception, the outbound leg went well. I passed my 1 min woman 8 min in, she's 5 years younger than me but was on a road bike with clip-on aerobars and is new to racing, has raced one crit so far (and hung with the pack, good for her, she liked it but she told me of course she was trying to win, hanging with the pack isn't going to cut it in the long run for her. Atta girl.).

I was just riding RPE today for the most part, glancing now and then at the data, but I didn't want to much of a game plan between the new position and the heat, just wanted to feel my way along. I was a little uneven in my power as a result, I do a better with the crutch of the power meter to pace off of. But it wasn't too bad, VI of 1.01 on each leg.

I was dreading the return leg a bit- uphill, tailwind (which built to maybe 7-8 mph, caught a break there), and warmer temp. My turn was a little slow, lol, I was trying to delay the inevitable I guess. The price I pay for making better power on the downhill in the new position is that I struggle to make power on even the slightest uphills- not a leg thing as much as a breathing thing. I went through this in the old position too, though, so I'm still optimistic that I will adapt, we'll just have to see.

The return wasn't too bad. I paced off my resp rate and quality, and came back 9 watts lower than I went out. But the effort itself felt steady. The heat wasn't too bad, except when I was not moving too fast coming over little rises. I was slow to ramp up my power in the final 1 minute, but once I got it up, I crossed the line strong.

Won my category by 4:15, and was 5 min ahead of the third woman racing today (Merckx but 15 years younger than me). Times were pretty slow overall and I actually fared ok against the men, beat a lot of them, and only 57 seconds behind the cat 1/2 men's winner. Not sure if it was only slow people today or if it was the heat. Too bad Nemesis didn't race today, we'd know what was a good time for the day.

Some aero atrocities occurred- the ice sleeve I had shoved across my shoulders prior to the race start lifted my skinsuit enough that I could feel the air entering between the back of my neck and my body, creating a parachute effect. Cringe. And my number wouldn't stick to my wet skinsuit, so we had to pin it and did a hack last-min-scramble job of that, not aero at all.

But I'm pretty happy with it- a PR in less-than-ideal conditions, some aero mishaps, on 5% less power than my previous best on this course. Can't jump too far in your conclusions of different race days in different conditions, but so far I'd say today was a validation of the new position. Promising and I'm happy with it.
Old 07-09-17, 03:35 PM
revchuck 
OMC

@Heathpack - Great report and ride! Sounds like you're becoming "Nemesis" for some of the other women.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-09-17, 04:35 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@Heathpack Congrats on an excellent performance in tough ambient conditions. Rho is lower in high temperature. We see this a VSC when there is volleyball tournaments during LAVRA. The humidity and temperature of the velodrome increases and it is faster.

I am riding my ERO optimized position. I would say, just stick with it for awhile.
Old 07-11-17, 07:47 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11407 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
Well done, @Heathpack!
Old 07-11-17, 10:38 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Thanks @revchuck, @Hermes, @LAJ. I'm glad I did it, it was a worthwhile experience.

The promoter is wanting to provide split times for this race and has been trying that on for size in the past few races. They published the split times yesterday and mine were the most even of anyone racing- three seconds difference between split 1 and split 2. Usually on this course, leg 1 is a little shorter (in duration) because its downhill, but on Sunday the tailwind evened things out a bit and these were probably pretty equal legs as far as time on the course goes.

I'm not 100% arguing that even split times were ideal on this course, we had enough of a tailwind that maybe the return should have even been faster than the outbound leg.

But still: I find this pleasing. I like everything neat and tidy and controlled in a TT and the even splits just make me happy on general principle.

Old 07-13-17, 03:19 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't updated this in a while because the last month or so has been pretty uninspiring as I have entered the "meh" stage of the season. Results wise this has been my worst season in years. My ranking is 80 points worse than it was last season. Already thinking about how to better manage the off season and looking forward to being 50+ next year. Although most of the races below are P123.

dnf (flat)
dnf (flat)
dnf (didn't feel like sprinting for 9th)
Old 07-13-17, 05:44 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
well done, @Heathpack
Old 07-13-17, 06:07 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@Heathpack - Great report and ride! Sounds like you're becoming "Nemesis" for some of the other women.
I couldn't agree more! New moniker, and worn proudly!! You have become a terrific athlete and bike racer, HP. Can I stop being proud of you? Oh, no way! Congratulations!!!
Old 07-13-17, 06:07 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Athlete: Sara
Date: July 12, 2017
Venue: Hellyer Park Velodrome
Race: Fast Forward Wheels Wednesday Night Track League p/b Vie 13, Cat 4/5 women
Teammates: None
Races: 5 Lap Points Race; Win N Out; 10 Lap Scratch Race

I know people wonder what in the world I am doing racing against (not with) fit, strong women half my age or younger in any sort of high intensity mass start event. Sometimes, I wonder, too! Actually, there is a method to my madness, and as long as I don't loose sight of reality and have expectations of success against those kids, I get a great workout at super high intensity, I work on bike skills, I tick off little goals that mean something to me, and I have a good time doing it. Last night's race was just the ticket for that, and it did not disappoint.

As I noted before, the races for the Omnium are posted the day of the event. Last nights races featured, for the Cat 4/5 women, a 5 lap points race, a win n out (also five laps, unless you win and then it's three laps), and a ten lap scratch race. The Fast Forward Wheels Wednesday Night Track League p/b Vie 13 (WNTL) is a Wednesday night series at Hellyer, and it is popular and well run. The atmosphere is great, it's a lot like a cyclocross race. I've discovered I can get three races in in an evening, more if I could physically stand it. Last night's Cat 4/5 field was small, only six of us. That meant I would have to work hard to stay on wheels and out of the wind, there would be little in the way of places to hide in such a small field. I needed to be sharp!

I decided to warm up with my bike configured the way I'd race it. I left the race wheels and gearing in place; Zipp 950 disk wheel on the back, Planet X five spoke front wheel (LOVE that wheel!), 3T Scatto sprinter handlebars, 48/15 gearing. I took to the track when it opened to get a few laps at tempo in, topped off by one 80% one lap effort. Early on to the track for warmup is good, there are fewer people on the oval, and the super fast pace lines haven't formed yet. I needed to be very careful with my energy management, that's one area where you young folks have a huge advantage over me - big matchbooks. I need all of my matches, and can't afford to waste any of them in a unduly long or hard warmup.

Race 1 - 5 Lap Points Race

We cat 4/5 girls had the first race in the evening's action. The promoter keeps the races shorter for the "beginner" fields, which is one reason why I do the 4/5 race rather than the 1/2/3/4 race (I'm a cat 4 on the track). The race was a 5 lap mass start points race, a race to the finish, and the first four riders across the line are awarded points. We lined up at the rail, took instruction from the chief referee, and then rolled off for a half lap neutral. At the whistle, which came on the back straight, it was game on. The pace came up slowly at first, but when a rider dropped down into the sprinters lane and hit the gas, it was time to go. I was above the lane, and dropped in behind her, determined to stay out of the wind and stay towards the front. Honestly, in a field so small, it wasn't difficult to be close to the front. She moved up track after a short time and I had the front, and I led for about a half a lap, and then popped up track to catch a wheel and recover. The field stayed together, pacing and exchanging like this until the bell lap. Coming out of turn two the pace came up in anticipation of the bell, and I was positioned well. Halfway down the the front straight, someone attacked off the front, trying to get a gap, and everyone else went. I was off the saddle and got up to speed quickly, but folks, the younger women had 1) quicker reflexes, and 2) a better jump than I did. I matched speed with the women around me for the next lap, and finished fifth, just behind two other riders. I felt good in that sprint, but I was against my "upper stop". My heart rate was maxed out, and at 34 MPH, I was close to my top speed. Still, as I said, I felt G O O D!

Race 2 - Win n Out

There are as many variations of mass start races on the velodrome as there are card games in Las Vegas. The Win n Out, as I gathered, is a variation of the "elimination" race, where a sprint is called every other lap and the last rider across the line in the sprint is pulled. In the win n out, three laps are completed, and on the third lap, the first rider across is declared the winner and leaves the track. On the next lap, second place is the first rider to the line, and then on the final lap, third place is - well, you get the picture. I had never done one of those kind of races before and I had no idea how to handle it tactically. I had the wild notion that maybe I could win the sprint, but reality is another thing, and I knew that was just an idea. It didn't mean I wouldn't try. I'm a racer, I show up to race and I do race, no matter the odds. We once again lined up at the rail, rolled neutral, and then were whistled live on the back straight. The pace increased each lap, and there was a lot of movement in the field. I really wanted to be up track, around the stayers line, but I couldn't stay up there because I couldn't find a wheel. I was in the wind way too much, and when the field went on the third lap, I was already close to my limit, and on top of that, I missed seeing the jump at the front. A gap opened, I chased, hit my limit, and hung on to survive. I was last, but wow. Critiquing myself, I was aware that I was thinking way too much, and I needed to be much more proactive.

I needed to try to correct my errors in the last race.

Race 3 - 10 Lap Scratch Race

This race snuck up on me, because the promoter combined two men's fields at the last minute, and we were called to the rail early. Umm, I hadn't quite recovered from the last race? I had learned to do everything I could to affect recovery between the events. I'd been sitting with my legs up, I'd consumed (another) banana, and finished off (another) water bottle. However, we were paged to the line much sooner than I expected, so I had to hurry to get my helmet back on, get the Garmin going, and get myself and my bike to the rail. I was rushed enough to where I forgot to zip my jersey back up (it was only partially unzipped, no risque moments). The ten lap scratch featured a points sprint at the fifth lap. I knew the pace would come up for that sprint, and everyone would have to go, including me. My goal was to stay attached, see how hard I could go on what were now tired, not fully recovered, legs, and finish with the field. We rolled neutral once again, and were once again whistled live on the back straight. As in the win n out, there was a lot of movement in the field, and the pace got really high well before the sprint lap. I was banging into my upper stop long before I wanted to, and in addition, I was once again in the wind way too much. When things went crazy for the sprint on that fifth lap, I was barely hanging on to the back, and I did get gapped. I chased for a half lap, but folks, my heart rate was through the top of my head, and unless I got it down to silly from stupid, I wasn't going to do much of anything. With no wheel to grab, I popped up to the stayers line and tried to maintain a respectable pace while I fought to get my legs back. In the end, I didn't get lapped, but I didn't finish with the field, either. I was only partially successful.

This was a fun bunch of races. I had such a good time, and relative to the younger riders, I did pretty well. You just cannot duplicate the intensity a race brings in the training environment, and it is so valuable to be able to do that. I'm always finding new limits, and I saw heart rate numbers 4 BPM higher than I ever have, and I did not feel it. I still had power at VO2max, and I was able to contest. For that, I am pleased. I know what I need to do to improve, and that said, improvement will see me able to stay in longer. I need to anticipate, react faster, and animate when I can. Free the mind, and the body will follow!

Thanks for reading!
Old 07-13-17, 06:16 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Great report, Sara! Bet you slept well.

The atmosphere is great, it's a lot like a cyclocross race.
Beer hand-ups at the track? Whoda thunk it?

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-13-17, 09:26 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Great report, Sara! Bet you slept well.

Beer hand-ups at the track? Whoda thunk it?
Whoda thunk it, indeed!

Actually, no - I didn't sleep very well. That old age thing?

Thanks, Chuck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.