Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How Often Do You Find Shortcuts?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 03:50 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I typically don't use shortcuts, my commute is a workout (Z2 endurance ride) so I need the mileage.

Regarding commuting by kayak. When I was stationed in Portland we had a MSgt who kayak'd down the Willamette from near his house to work. Found a dead body one time on his kayak commute.
Old 03-15-18, 12:34 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had a shortcut through a farm and along some train tracks but was told last year to stay off the farm. It wasn't a route I took often because it meant dealing with trains and or gates. It was scenic and quite unless a train happened by. My shortest and flattest route is along a 4 lane highway which I dislike. I enjoy the back roads once I get out of town but it can take me close to 2 hours to cover the 15-18 mile distance. I usually compromise with some highway and secondary roads. I wish my commute was shorter. I can't always afford a 1.5 - 2 hour commute.
Old 03-15-18, 01:29 PM
InOmaha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My safest route is 9.5 miles. The shortest is 6 miles. Right past a high school with ~2500 students. 1/3 of the cars are late parents dropping off kids and 1/3 of the cars are kids that have been driving around a year. The rest are kids with another year or so of driving experience. They crash into each other in the parking lot all the time.

I'm waiting for a new development to go in around the school. Hopefully they'll tie the trail system into the backside of that and I'll be able to avoid the school. That could cut 2 miles off if I wanted.
Old 03-15-18, 08:07 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
My safest route is 9.5 miles. The shortest is 6 miles. Right past a high school with ~2500 students. 1/3 of the cars are late parents dropping off kids and 1/3 of the cars are kids that have been driving around a year. The rest are kids with another year or so of driving experience. They crash into each other in the parking lot all the time.

I'm waiting for a new development to go in around the school. Hopefully they'll tie the trail system into the backside of that and I'll be able to avoid the school. That could cut 2 miles off if I wanted.
This is a good example where collisions (or fatalities) per mile of road is not a constant but the important factor is the number of cars encountered choosing the route.

Last edited by Daniel4; 03-16-18 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-16-18, 05:41 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
When my employer moved me to a different site a few months back I spent a couple of Sundays before the move riding routes to the new site, and planning a route based on what traffic at peak hours would be like.

The resultant route I normally ride is about 15 miles, takes me along a mixture of gravel paths, main roads, and country lanes, and takes about 50 minutes to an hour.

A straight route on main roads is 12 miles, taking about 40 minutes - I've ridden this route occasionally when the lanes have been icy, and there's no pleasure in it at all. I'm much happier doing the extra miles on quieter roads with the scenery that goes with them.
Old 03-16-18, 12:28 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
When my employer moved me to a different site a few months back I spent a couple of Sundays before the move riding routes to the new site, and planning a route based on what traffic at peak hours would be like.

The resultant route I normally ride is about 15 miles, takes me along a mixture of gravel paths, main roads, and country lanes, and takes about 50 minutes to an hour.

A straight route on main roads is 12 miles, taking about 40 minutes - I've ridden this route occasionally when the lanes have been icy, and there's no pleasure in it at all. I'm much happier doing the extra miles on quieter roads with the scenery that goes with them.
I do have my shortest (safe) route, and then others. If I have time I'll use the one I enjoy the most. Maybe it's because I have done that route in a while, or another reason. My absolute shortest and quickest route isn't safe in my opinion so I don't use it.
Old 03-19-18, 08:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I think that while my route is ideal most days, I ought to start finding routes I can take that avoid the headwinds. This morning's ride was brutal. It's on the river's edge, and the island has cliffs or buildings that the wind hits. I'm pretty sure that it's not as bad inland.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-19-18, 09:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don't look for short cuts...been riding my route for 26 years...I look for long cuts. Many people have asked me how many routes I have to home and I tell them that I have 599 different routes and that I've ridden most of them.
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
I typically don't use shortcuts, my commute is a workout (Z2 endurance ride) so I need the mileage.
I have four basic one-way routes each 14 miles, with minor variations. In the nice weather I lengthen the routes for varying distances up to about 30 miles.

One minor variation, I consider a shortcut for my benefit, was only about two hundred yards long. The Jamaica Pond Bikepath follows a major well-lit, well-traveled highway, except for about 200 yards where it is out of sight of the highway through a dark, forested segment. I never ride isolated darkened paths.

A few years ago, I found a peaceful, lit side street that eliminates the forested segment, with easy access to the remaining approximately two miles of Path. The main dangers on the Path otherwise in the pre-dawn early AM are from oncoming brightly lit cyclists, or ninjas, especially on an uphill segment for me.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-19-18 at 02:01 PM.