Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-13, 12:06 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
not to take away his thunder, but I'm pretty excited Shovelhd won.
What? Report, we need a report!
Old 07-27-13, 12:46 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
what? Report, we need a report!
yes we do!!!!!
Old 07-27-13, 01:42 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the NSG thread. Will link later.
Old 07-27-13, 02:16 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Yes!!!!
Old 07-28-13, 11:04 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
freedom tour 45+

Got caught up in NJ series negative racing. An early break that shouldn't have stuck got stuck. I hemmed and hawed about bridging, but really didn't think it would stick. 8secs. 5 secs. 9 secs. I took a flyer with 6 to go, but at that point whatever leash I'd have gotten had tightened Sigh. Won to 40mph field sprint for 5th. Frustrated, but considering I'm less than 100% it'll have to suffice. If I had one more teammate in the mix we'd have brought it back and won. But so it goes. That's why they run the races.

Still half tempted to drive to Indy to do one race and roll the dice. 20 hours in the car plus hotel for a 6 mile race with broken ribs?
Old 07-28-13, 11:23 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
freedom tour 45+

Got caught up in NJ series negative racing. An early break that shouldn't have stuck got stuck. I hemmed and hawed about bridging, but really didn't think it would stick. 8secs. 5 secs. 9 secs. I took a flyer with 6 to go, but at that point whatever leash I'd have gotten had tightened Sigh. Won to 40mph field sprint for 5th. Frustrated, but considering I'm less than 100% it'll have to suffice. If I had one more teammate in the mix we'd have brought it back and won. But so it goes. That's why they run the races.

Still half tempted to drive to Indy to do one race and roll the dice. 20 hours in the car plus hotel for a 6 mile race with broken ribs?
We both know someone who would do that.
Old 07-28-13, 07:29 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Diego Omnium on the 333m SDV. Raced 1/2/3. Snowball, 12 laps (4th). Scratch, 18 laps (too conservative). Points, 60/6 (3rd). That last one was quite painful, but rewarding as the pace/length ended up popping all but four of us for the last few sprints. Also, one team accounted for eight racers in my category, so it was fun being in the lion's den.

Photo: Nerius Landys
Old 07-28-13, 09:00 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Gary, and Vance - nice work!!! Gary, especially for you, considering what you're enduring right now.
Old 07-28-13, 09:32 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Menlo Park Grand Prix WM 45+

36 rider field, populated by several quality riders including some former national champs. In spite of a 15mph wind blowing straight down the back chute, I expected a brisk pace.

Rolled off at the whistle. I had two riders marked, and they moved quickly towards the front. I followed. The pace was moderate at first, but picked up in short order. I decided I needed to be front 1/3, mid line to keep from feeling the wind. The plan worked, and I was able to surf the field pretty easily. I had no trouble matching accelerations coming off of the turns, and I was close enough to the front to where I could see my marks and watch for any breaks. The consensus before the race was that the wind would negate any break attempts; and indeed no one tried to go up the road.

Five laps in, there had been two prime laps, and I was able to handle those readily. On the back chute the pack snaked over to the left side of the road to stay close to a tree line for some shelter. I had established territory in the pack and was sitting in comfortably and was starting to think about the finish in six laps. The lap prior to this one, someone behind me had either hit something or gone down - I'd heard a loud noise and some "oooooo"s. My turn! I hit a pothole, a narrow enlongated thing, and heard the same noise. A gal behind me called out that I had flatted, and I had. I put my hand up and slowed. The moto ref came up and confirmed my flat (at first I thought both wheels were down) and then told me the wheel pit knew I was coming - he also told me to "ride to the wheel pit". Except for corners, I kept my speed up over 22, and it was a rough ride! My Garmin fell off in the process, and I had to stop and retrieve it from a corner Marshall. I made the wheel pit before the field, swapped wheels, and discovered another 60+ rider there - same pothole, the noise I'd heard the previous lap.

I rejoined the field at the end of a prime sprint. I had to hop up to 30mph to catch back on, and that, plus shoving that flat 3/4 of a lap, gassed me a bit. I was gapped on the back chute, my legs were dying, and I just could not reconnect.

Joined another rider, worked with her, and rolled in. Ended up second in the 60+ field, I don't know where overall. Other than the flat, it was a great ride!

After the race, several riders came over to me and offered a lot of love. I was a little surprised, but really flattered and reassured. I knew I could do this, now I know I can do this. As I told Ex, "they know who I am now!"
Old 07-28-13, 10:00 PM
nacler22
Tilting at Windmills

Bikes: More please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
Menlo Park Grand Prix WM 45+
"they know who I am now!"
That made me smile, thanks and well done.
Old 07-28-13, 10:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Nice racing Sara. You were in the 60+ age group of four that was combined with the Women's Cat 1,2,3 and 4 ages 45 -49, 50 - 54 and 55 -59 to form the 45 +. All age groups were scored separately. According to USA Cycling (what do they know), you were 4th of 4 racers. Did you get the silver medal? If you did, let the promoter know so they correct the USA cycling results.

https://www.usacycling.org/results/i...rmit=2013-1977
Old 07-29-13, 12:03 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That sounds pretty decent, Sara, well done. The biggest difference between now and a year ago is in how confident you evidently feel in being able to get involved in the race, as opposed to merely pinning on a number and riding round. Big progress.
Old 07-29-13, 02:38 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Sara - great work, you sound so much more confident.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-29-13, 07:00 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the steak knives Sara. Those girls were showing you respect for how you dealt with adversity in an open field. And you deserve it!!! Keep hitting those over unders and your recovery will continue to improve. Look how far you have come.

Please note that I do not get similar respect when I race my category. Probably because I steal their prime money.
Old 07-29-13, 07:20 AM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Great job, @sarals! (Regardless of where you finished.)

Jumping back into a hot race is tough -- another page in the experience notebook.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 07-29-13, 07:38 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done Sara! You have improved on many aspects needed in racing. Isn't it great going into a race with confidence and a secure feeling about yourself?
Old 07-29-13, 08:37 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
BTW, the Menlo Park Criterium Race was the State Criterium Championship for the Elite and Masters Women hence the age group categories every five years hence Sara beat some very tough women to get 2nd of 4 in the 60+.
Old 07-29-13, 09:32 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
BTW, the Menlo Park Criterium Race was the State Criterium Championship for the Elite and Masters Women hence the age group categories every five years hence Sara beat some very tough women to get 2nd of 4 in the 60+.
State Championships bring out the best of the best and until her flat Sara was toe to toe with everyone regardless of age group.
Old 07-29-13, 09:33 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
San Marcos crit. This race always ends up with a break getting away because of the big hill. Got in three, covered more, nothing stuck. So of course this ended in a field sprint (sort of).

Race was supposed to be 45 minutes, I was watching the clock thinking we had more laps but they threw up three to go early, right when I had a bad moment after chasing.

Went backwards through the field on the hill. DFL at the top. Got a lap of rest, passed as many as I could with 1 to go, then wove my way through a bunch of dying folks for 21st.. Whop dee do. Closing on everyone, if only I had better position blah blah blah. Legs good. Lungs probably 90-95% on albuterol and psuedophede.

Half the field didn't finish including some big names. Pretty brutal.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 07-29-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-29-13, 10:27 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tough deal, Ex. Throwing the cards with 3 to go is bush.
Old 07-29-13, 11:26 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Tough deal, Ex. Throwing the cards with 3 to go is bush.
That's for sure. Sheesh.
Old 07-29-13, 11:29 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cleave
Great job, @sarals! (Regardless of where you finished.)

Jumping back into a hot race is tough -- another page in the experience notebook.
I've watched officials hold people in the wheel pit as the pack approaches, thinking "What? He's supposed to go from 0-30 instantly as the pack blows past?" It's tough unless you are really up to speed. Just getting up to speed in the wind takes enough out of you, and if you have to in essence bridge back, then, well...

Really proud of you, Sara, as is your coach.
Old 07-29-13, 11:55 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Everyone, thanks! You guys mean the world to me - you're my racing family and each of you has had a part, a big one, in where I am and where I'm going. Thank you isn't enough!

Comments? Hermes, I was indeed second at the race. One of the gals I was ahead of also flatted and was out for two laps, and they didn't credit her a finish. I came in ahead of the other. I was announced as second in the age group for the podium. I saw the USAC results, yes I did, but you know - it doesn't matter! I did what I wanted to do, and I'm getting known and growing, and that is absolutely worth more than a medal right now!

Right on with the wheel pit, AzT. I thought that I'd be okay, because I catching a little breather. In retrospect, that was the worst thing I could have done! When I tried to reattach, I was stuck out on the right side of the pack, where the wind was, and they wouldn't let me in. I drifted back, even though I was at redline (HR was 162), and I didn't have pop left to slide over and slot in when I got to the back. I didn't want to be there, anyway!

I can feel the joy you fellas express when you talk about your races, all of them. I now know what it is to race, and how much fun it is. Ex told me I'd be strong for a long time, and I was being little flippant when I told him "I want to be stronger!" - but only a little flippant, because I know there's more.

I have to admit that I was a bit intimidated by the some of the names in that peloton. When I found out I was pretty easily (in spite of the workload) staying where I wanted to, that went away, and I started to race. I don't doubt myself anymore, and that is so huge.

One lady told me afterwards that "it usually takes five years to get consistent and figure this out. You're going to be there quicker than that" That was a powerful statement. What was fun too was the question from MANY of those gals - "Where and when are you racing next, when will we see you again?"

So cool!!
Old 07-29-13, 11:59 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Ex, wow. Knowing you, it HAD to be brutal! Proud of you though - and I am so grateful to you as well!!!
Old 07-29-13, 01:14 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I've watched officials hold people in the wheel pit as the pack approaches, thinking "What? He's supposed to go from 0-30 instantly as the pack blows past?" It's tough unless you are really up to speed. Just getting up to speed in the wind takes enough out of you, and if you have to in essence bridge back, then, well...

Really proud of you, Sara, as is your coach.
I'm proud to know you, and Ex, and call you both friends!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.