Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Madone SLR vs Venge Pro

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Madone SLR vs Venge Pro

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 12:16 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
$719 to go from CL40s to CLX64s...
Thanks. I am planning to get the same bike and was wondering about the same wheel upgrade.
Old 11-25-19, 01:47 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Thanks. I am planning to get the same bike and was wondering about the same wheel upgrade.
My logic went as follows: I am buying the Venge for max speed, not climbing. And at 180lb, I suck at climbing competitively anyway. So might as well get wheels that maximize the Venge's capabilities.

Was undecided between these and Enve 7.8s. In the end, I decided to get the Rovals, figuring the bike is likely designed to perform best with these wheels. And practically speaking, it made no sense to buy it with the CL40s, which I wouldnt then use much. The Rovals came off as better bang for the buck.

Very glad I did. The wheels are super stiff and inspire a lot of confidence on cornering. I read some reviews that said they were gusty on crosswinds - and during Sunday's tri, which had some really steep and fast descents, I did notice a couple of times where they caught the wind at speeds, but it was very minimal and easily manageable.

My other deep section wheels I have owned:
- a pair of Yushin 50mms off a BF group buy 8-9 years ago
- Hed Stinger 6s
- Hed Jet 9/disc on my TT bike

I was worried I would second guess the decision on the wheels (have wanted Enves for a long, long time) but now that I have a couple of rides on them, I dont regret the decision one bit.

Hope it helps.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 11-25-19, 01:56 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Isn't the current wisdom now that aero trumps weight for all but the steepest climbs? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere, maybe a GCN video. In any case I don't think the 64s are going to make you a worse climber, but it should add a little bit of top-end speed on the flats, all other things being equal (wattage, riding position, etc.).
Old 11-25-19, 02:29 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
My logic went as follows: I am buying the Venge for max speed, not climbing. And at 180lb, I suck at climbing competitively anyway. So might as well get wheels that maximize the Venge's capabilities.

Was undecided between these and Enve 7.8s. In the end, I decided to get the Rovals, figuring the bike is likely designed to perform best with these wheels. And practically speaking, it made no sense to buy it with the CL40s, which I wouldnt then use much. The Rovals came off as better bang for the buck.

Very glad I did. The wheels are super stiff and inspire a lot of confidence on cornering. I read some reviews that said they were gusty on crosswinds - and during Sunday's tri, which had some really steep and fast descents, I did notice a couple of times where they caught the wind at speeds, but it was very minimal and easily manageable.

My other deep section wheels I have owned:
- a pair of Yushin 50mms off a BF group buy 8-9 years ago
- Hed Stinger 6s
- Hed Jet 9/disc on my TT bike

I was worried I would second guess the decision on the wheels (have wanted Enves for a long, long time) but now that I have a couple of rides on them, I dont regret the decision one bit.

Hope it helps.
Excellent review thank you and enjoy your new bike.
Likes For rower2cyclist:
Old 11-25-19, 02:53 PM
haggiszero

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What is up with that crankset? It looks pretty dated.
Old 11-25-19, 07:41 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by haggiszero
I would rather have an older power meter, than the newest style crank.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 11-25-19, 07:57 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by haggiszero
Colnago62 nailed it - it is a Quarq I pulled off my Ridley. It's old but works perfectly and i see no reason to sell it/get a new one. The crank that came with the bike is neatly packed away.

Last edited by guadzilla; 11-25-19 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-25-19, 08:02 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by CarloM
Isn't the current wisdom now that aero trumps weight for all but the steepest climbs? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere, maybe a GCN video. In any case I don't think the 64s are going to make you a worse climber, but it should add a little bit of top-end speed on the flats, all other things being equal (wattage, riding position, etc.).
Yeah, that is true, but those numbers are also for people climbing a lot faster than me. I can actually do fairly extended climbs, albeit slowly, as long as i maintain a slow and steady pace, and at those speeds, aero or lack of aero doesnt really matter, as the time is irrelevant.

But the end effect is similar to your point: since this isnt an ultra-light frame, saving 200gm on wheels isnt going to make much of a difference, and the aero benefits on where i can be competitive (flats) is worth far more.
Old 11-25-19, 08:10 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
1. Weight is important but nearly as much as it is sold or peddled.

2. As to which bike to go with, do what everyone does eventually, buy the one that you are most emotionally comfortable with. It's what we all do in the long run.
Old 11-25-19, 08:49 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
1. Weight is important but nearly as much as it is sold or peddled.

2. As to which bike to go with, do what everyone does eventually, buy the one that you are most emotionally comfortable with. It's what we all do in the long run.
Point "1" is true but the same could be said for aero.
Old 11-25-19, 09:11 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
The truth is any of these bikes above 2-3K is likely more bike than any of us who aren’t competing are likely to fully take advantage of, so buy the one that gives you the best piece of mind and marginal gain for what you like to do.
Old 11-26-19, 08:45 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by CarloM
The truth is any of these bikes above 2-3K is likely more bike than any of us who aren’t competing are likely to fully take advantage of, so buy the one that gives you the best piece of mind and marginal gain for what you like to do.
Yeah, pretty much.

I am not buying the most aero bike because that extra watt saves is gonna male a difference to my pack-fodder ******. I am buying the most aero bike because I want to own one and it motivates me to ride more.

And whoosh whoosh.

Edit - wait. You can't say ass here anymore? Damn.

Edit edit - ok, you say ass but you cant say fat ass as one word. Weird.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 11-27-19, 06:11 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
https://granfondo-cycling.com/best-aero-bike-2019/