Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: How long have you been car light or car free?
Car light less than 1 year
15.87%
Car free less than 1 year
9.13%
Car light less than 5 years
12.92%
Car free less than 5 years
11.25%
Car light more than 5 years
9.04%
Car free more than 5 years
21.49%
Contemplating a car light or car free change
17.80%
Not interested in becoming car light or car free
2.49%
Voters: 1084. You may not vote on this poll

Living Car Free/Car Lite Introductions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 01:15 PM
BikingMountains

Bikes: Vintage and new Bianchis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been car free or car light on and off for years, but there's always things that make it difficult--like places you can't get to, lack of bike parking etc.

However, my city, Boston, has a biking revolution--there are new lanes everywhere, paths being built, more bike parking, more fellow cyclists. It's awesome and my latest foray into car-lightism (since the beginning of the summer) has been going more smoothly than ever before. I think I'm hooked now!
Old 09-21-15, 01:45 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingMountains
I've been car free or car light on and off for years, but there's always things that make it difficult--like places you can't get to, lack of bike parking etc.

However, my city, Boston, has a biking revolution--there are new lanes everywhere, paths being built, more bike parking, more fellow cyclists. It's awesome and my latest foray into car-lightism (since the beginning of the summer) has been going more smoothly than ever before. I think I'm hooked now!
Welcome to the forum! I hope you feel free to jump in on any discussions that interest you. Remember, you can also start a new thread if you have a question, idea, or comment on carfree living. Some threads are practical carfree living tips, while others have to do with social or policy issues related to non-car transport, city planning, lifestyle issues, etc. Enjoy!!!

I've known Boston only as a tourist, but the central city was always well suited for cycling and especially walking, as far as I could tell. I also remember the ring of expressways and suburbs which were much less well set up for bikes and walking.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-21-15, 02:05 PM
BikingMountains

Bikes: Vintage and new Bianchis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Roody, the thing is, nobody lives in the center. Almost nobody at least. Most of us live far afield of it, in part of Greater Boston. So navigating Boston is mostly about going between Cambridge and Brookline or Dorchester and the center etc. I tried it in the mid 1990s and ended up buying a car when I got discouraged. Now, I have a car and it's mostly rusting in the driveway....it's that much better here now! I also have more skills, and online mapping software helps me navigate unfamiliar areas.
Old 09-21-15, 02:24 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by BikingMountains
@Roody, the thing is, nobody lives in the center. Almost nobody at least. Most of us live far afield of it, in part of Greater Boston. So navigating Boston is mostly about going between Cambridge and Brookline or Dorchester and the center etc. I tried it in the mid 1990s and ended up buying a car when I got discouraged. Now, I have a car and it's mostly rusting in the driveway....it's that much better here now! I also have more skills, and online mapping software helps me navigate unfamiliar areas.
Good for you. Being carfree in America is often about navigating through or around a very crappy transportation system that accounts only for cars, and not very well for them. I do think that the education of city planners and engineers is improving dramatically. Also, the general public is becoming aware of new planning ideals, and advocacy groups are putting on the pressure. Whatever the causes, I'm very happy when I hear that things are getting better in Boston or any location. And I think your skills will continue to improve as you branch out into new carfree endeavors. It can be challenging, but also a lot of fun.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-05-15, 02:03 PM
ladyroadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just spent about a week, on and off, reading through this whole thread. Super interesting discussion, with the exception of the sexist bullcrap earlier on.

We just made the decision to sell my car, and share one car as a family (family being DH, the dog, and me). I am a bit apprehensive as we live in the suburbs and public transit is terrible out here, but I work from home 2 days a week and bike the other 3 days. Carpooling with DH is a backup. Occasionally I need to do local travel for work, but we've thought through how to make it work. I'm excited to set a good example for those around us, and be trailblazers. The amount of cars on our street is a joke - more cars than drivers, for sure.

We also try hard to live simply, in general. We bought a modest 3-bedroom house a couple of years ago when we thought we'd have kids, but since then have changed our minds (at least for now). It's way more space than the two of us need, but I do love the house, and it's allowed us to collect a pretty solid stable of bikes. Other than bikes, tools, and furniture, we have less stuff than we did when we lived in a 1-bedroom apartment. I've been ruthlessly purging & donating all the crap we accumulated over the years, and it feels great. I can fit all of my clothes in one small (1950s) closet and one bureau, which is more than most can say, and this is living in a 4-season climate where I require outdoor/specialized clothes for biking & hiking. I use very minimal makeup and even fewer toiletries. I do have a good amount of kitchen stuff, but I actually use it all for cooking & entertaining. Anything that doesn't get frequent use is donated, sold or tossed.

My husband is a creative type and a bit of a packrat so he hangs on to much more stuff than I do. Luckily I love him enough to put up with it. If it were up to me alone, I'd get rid of just about everything we own - I'm a firm believer in the idea that your stuff really owns you.

We are thinking about our next moves - should we stay in this house longterm and invest in solar panels? Or should we downsize in 5 years to a townhome? Do we want to keep owning or go back to renting? Do we even want to stay in this area or try living elsewhere? Maintaining a car lite lifestyle will be at the forefront of all our decisions, from now on. We both feel so free and we love it. (Not having kids has a whole lot to do with that, too!)
Old 10-05-15, 02:15 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by ladyroadie
I just spent about a week, on and off, reading through this whole thread. Super interesting discussion, with the exception of the sexist bullcrap earlier on.

We just made the decision to sell my car, and share one car as a family (family being DH, the dog, and me). I am a bit apprehensive as we live in the suburbs and public transit is terrible out here, but I work from home 2 days a week and bike the other 3 days. Carpooling with DH is a backup. Occasionally I need to do local travel for work, but we've thought through how to make it work. I'm excited to set a good example for those around us, and be trailblazers. The amount of cars on our street is a joke - more cars than drivers, for sure.

We also try hard to live simply, in general. We bought a modest 3-bedroom house a couple of years ago when we thought we'd have kids, but since then have changed our minds (at least for now). It's way more space than the two of us need, but I do love the house, and it's allowed us to collect a pretty solid stable of bikes. Other than bikes, tools, and furniture, we have less stuff than we did when we lived in a 1-bedroom apartment. I've been ruthlessly purging & donating all the crap we accumulated over the years, and it feels great. I can fit all of my clothes in one small (1950s) closet and one bureau, which is more than most can say, and this is living in a 4-season climate where I require outdoor/specialized clothes for biking & hiking. I use very minimal makeup and even fewer toiletries. I do have a good amount of kitchen stuff, but I actually use it all for cooking & entertaining. Anything that doesn't get frequent use is donated, sold or tossed.

My husband is a creative type and a bit of a packrat so he hangs on to much more stuff than I do. Luckily I love him enough to put up with it. If it were up to me alone, I'd get rid of just about everything we own - I'm a firm believer in the idea that your stuff really owns you.

We are thinking about our next moves - should we stay in this house longterm and invest in solar panels? Or should we downsize in 5 years to a townhome? Do we want to keep owning or go back to renting? Do we even want to stay in this area or try living elsewhere? Maintaining a car lite lifestyle will be at the forefront of all our decisions, from now on. We both feel so free and we love it. (Not having kids has a whole lot to do with that, too!)
Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your interesting experiences. I really enjoyed reading this post! I don't remember the sexist crap, but I'm glad you were able to get past it. I hope that is securely in our past!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-16-15, 05:20 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Coomer
I've been car-free about two months now. It's really odd because for the last seven years I've been really into import cars, building a couple from the ground up and always working/driving them. I used to spend on average 3-4 hours a day in my garage, moved up to Seattle a little over a year ago, but still had cars, and now I don't even have a car.

It's actually really, really nice, and I plan to keep it up. Though at times I really do miss spirited driving in my fast cars.
Interesting u went from working on cars every day to car free these last few months...can u explaine why or how? I always wanted to build a car from ground up but dont have any experiance with that..Wa kind of something I have always thought I wanted to do but never have .Dont know if I have thise kind of skilss or brain to do it. I recently moved close to work and have a work van I need for tools and to pick up material, but the rentals I work on are all close by so not much gas is wasted. I moved quite a few years ago far away from where I lived for work ..then a second time closer to work where I now reside. I still would like to go visit friends and family so gonna experiment with train and bringing a bike to bike to their homes... Also have a vintage rossin road bike and recently built up a raleigh super course more like a commuter and found a guy locally selling a vintage schwinn voyageur ,japan made I beleive with champion tubing #2 , with front and rear rack.. So I am hoping I do more biking. In the past biking I was introduced to was club rides where every one was trying to compete and go fast. Kinda liked it but never was that good although I dis have some pretty good endurance and liked the feeling of spinning and felt like gliding some time. I got hopes of being car light and being able to get around with bike or train..
Old 02-18-16, 03:24 PM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I suppose I can't consider myself car-lite, much less car free. I work at a Ford Dealership as a tech, so I drive. a lot. But, aside from work, I use my bikes to get around for the most part. I own a truck, but it only really gets used on big grocery days and to go get things like kitty litter (30lb bag doesn't quite fit in the baskets of my cruiser, which has the highest cargo capacity) and to take my wife to her many appointments. Gas prices up here suck, so my commuter and cruiser often get many more miles.
Old 02-20-16, 01:06 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by suncruiser
I suppose I can't consider myself car-lite, much less car free. I work at a Ford Dealership as a tech, so I drive. a lot. But, aside from work, I use my bikes to get around for the most part. I own a truck, but it only really gets used on big grocery days and to go get things like kitty litter (30lb bag doesn't quite fit in the baskets of my cruiser, which has the highest cargo capacity) and to take my wife to her many appointments. Gas prices up here suck, so my commuter and cruiser often get many more miles.
Welcome! I bet your bike lights get a lot of use this time of year.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-20-16, 02:06 AM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Welcome! I bet your bike lights get a lot of use this time of year.
Haha yes they do. The commuter has the brightest light of all my bikes (may get a new one with my next bike purchase. Getting me a touring bike. When I move back to Arizona I'm neither flying or driving. I'm riding south)
Old 03-08-16, 06:41 PM
johnnywheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by suncruiser
Haha yes they do. The commuter has the brightest light of all my Airwheel Q5 bikes (may get a new one with my next bike purchase. Getting me a touring bike. When I move back to Arizona I'm neither flying or driving. I'm riding south)
That's awesome! A buddy of mine just took a trip along the entire west coast of the US...he's been gone for a little over a month now, I'll try and get some pics uploaded of his trip/bike!

Last edited by johnnywheels; 04-16-16 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 09:37 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome, Johnny Wheels.
Old 03-31-16, 02:18 PM
rawly old

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I gotta say car light. Car free would be nice, but sometimes I just gotta move loads too big
for my bike trailer.There's no getting around it. I can do most of my errands on the bike,
groceries,post office, hardware store. Im kinda on an island between 2 busy hwys. For the
better part of the day it's a bit terrifying trying to cross one of them & the fumes are
noxious. One the plus side we have a really good public transit system, cheap too. With
a couple transfers I can travel 180 mi. with my bike in a rack, my gear in bus to the
Pacific beaches for $5.50 on my senior pass. This allows me to bypass heavy traffic &
go safely to the place I want to tour. It's really quite liberating; I needn't hassle
driving & can enjoy the scenery.
Old 03-31-16, 02:21 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Where do you live?
Old 05-17-16, 08:33 PM
foothillbilly

Bikes: Ancheer folding e-bike, ancient Trek (24" wheels, modified for my back problem), Zizzo trailer, homemade trailer

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Hi, I'm Calvin. I counted myself as "car light less than five years" on the poll because I live in rural Ohio and need someone's car to get to adjoining counties. I can't do 50-mile days as easily as I once did, especially with cargo. At present, I have no transportation to the nearest big city, and I'm working on moving back there.

My family was car-free, not by choice, when I was young, so I guess it's my default setting. This time around goes back to when my last car gave up, around 2 1/2 years ago. I use the bike by itself, with one or two kitty-litter-bucket panniers, and/or with either of two trailers. In snowy/icy weather or on bad health days (I'm disabled), I walk or use the local "shuttle" (not very good), but no car is immediately available. I have to set it up ahead of time, pay for fuel, and hope for the best.
Old 05-17-16, 10:18 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It sounds like moving to the city (Columbus?) is key for you. Good luck with that, and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-02-16, 03:42 PM
foothillbilly

Bikes: Ancheer folding e-bike, ancient Trek (24" wheels, modified for my back problem), Zizzo trailer, homemade trailer

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
It is indeed Columbus. I lived there for over a decade, and the last 9 months or so were another "car free" period. It's much easier with local transit.
Old 06-02-16, 05:19 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I'm not anti-car -- I just think of cars mostly in terms of recreation and sport. Bicycles, on the other hand, are practical, primary, transportation. I've flet this way for about 40 years.
Old 07-26-16, 05:53 PM
RobbiRobbi
Steel City, Steel Bike

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Hi all! I'm a grad student living in Pittsburgh, I've been going car light for a while, but trying to further reduce or eliminate driving now that I'm in a better area for it. Last year I foolishly tried to live in a suburb north of the city because bus commuting was theoretically possible... but in reality it was nearly 90 minutes some days with traffic, and I'd arrive home late in the evening, tired and stressed out. I still tried to use my car as little as possible, but all that time on the bus was just too much. Now I'm living much closer to work/school, and close to grocery stores as well. Bike is becoming my main form of transportation with bus as backup, and I love it. This year I'm trying to expand my riding further into the low temp range. No immediate plans to ride when there's actually a lot of snow and ice on the road, but all I think I need to handle down to 35 F days is some better gloves, so that's my plan for this year.
Old 07-26-16, 10:27 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by RobbiRobbi
Hi all! I'm a grad student living in Pittsburgh, I've been going car light for a while, but trying to further reduce or eliminate driving now that I'm in a better area for it. Last year I foolishly tried to live in a suburb north of the city because bus commuting was theoretically possible... but in reality it was nearly 90 minutes some days with traffic, and I'd arrive home late in the evening, tired and stressed out. I still tried to use my car as little as possible, but all that time on the bus was just too much. Now I'm living much closer to work/school, and close to grocery stores as well. Bike is becoming my main form of transportation with bus as backup, and I love it. This year I'm trying to expand my riding further into the low temp range. No immediate plans to ride when there's actually a lot of snow and ice on the road, but all I think I need to handle down to 35 F days is some better gloves, so that's my plan for this year.
Welcome to the forum! And keep an open mind about riding in the winter.I've been riding 365 days for many years here in Michigan. It would be a shame to buy a car for just one season!There are a lot of tips for winter riding here on the forum. We usually have a winter thread later in the year.
Old 07-27-16, 06:36 AM
RobbiRobbi
Steel City, Steel Bike

Oh no, I wasn't planning to buy a car. I have a car but when it dies I'm planning not to replace it (the car is not long for this world, lol.) I can rely on the bus for commuting and most places I need to go. I find it easier to just pull up the hood of my big puffy coat and keep my head down at the bus stop to keep my face warm, but while riding I need to look where I'm going! I'll look for tips on here and I just learned there is a winter riding subforum as well.
Old 07-27-16, 06:40 AM
RobbiRobbi
Steel City, Steel Bike

Originally Posted by Roody
And keep an open mind about riding in the winter.I've been riding 365 days for many years here in Michigan.
What part of Michigan are you in? I'm from south-east Michigan where the winter isn't too bad, but still colder than where I am now.
Old 07-27-16, 11:30 AM
lostear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting divorced. Wife is using our car currently. Planning to be car free in the next few years until I've saved up enough for a van to live out of (a stronger one that can tow my eventual tiny home). Only challenge is the Montana's winter. I'm hoping I can tolerate the ten miles ride to work and another ten miles back in the weather. At least I have a lot of co-workers who have a truck and live out near where I lives now, heh.
Old 07-27-16, 11:53 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry about the divorce. 10 miles each way doesn't sound too bad, but I hope you don't live in the places it drops to minus 60.
Old 07-27-16, 12:59 PM
lostear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
Sorry about the divorce. 10 miles each way doesn't sound too bad, but I hope you don't live in the places it drops to minus 60.
Well, I have backup plan for that with my roommate (since one of them works at the same place I do and we have agreed that I could take one of their car (or ride along with them) if I ask them for cases like that). It does gets pretty cold here in Montana so I'm watching out for that. I only hope that we can get the road plowed to where the apartment is though. I'll be shopping for a full face bike helmet for the winter just to help with my vision (issues with the lipid layer on my eye making my eye particularly sensitive to tearing up in the cold wind).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.