Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Steel is Real.. Explain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Steel is Real.. Explain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 09:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by molten
Correction to mstateglfr: The then-friend was only reputed to sell his bicycle/parts inventory out of his home. Of all the years I knew him, I never knew of his going to the swap meet to sell, Of all the years I knew him, he was very open in how he did his business of bicycles. Of the several bike shops he has owned -- and is no longer on the premises: I don't know if the then-friend who was the original owner of these bike shops has sold them or if new managment has simply been put in. But the-above-original-owner stays active by going to swap meet. And has another selling online. There be no "kid" as you said, involved in this. I simply assigned a long-known friend to sell one of my bikes, as there was to be a commission paid on the sale. But rather I was given 2 payments, in cash, that total only a fraction of what I would have asked as a selling price. In how I knew him from our pasttimes, he was not going by his original self.
If I just was not in the status of another telling me that I had to sell one of my bikes, this would not have happened: as reliable Local selling sources are hard to come by.
I am struggling to understand why you resurrected a 6 month old thread to incoherently rant about how you were wronged when the thread has nothing to do with your unfortunate and confusion situation.

As for me thinking your kid was scammed, I thought that since its the only way I could interpret what you posted- scamming my OLDEST of my CLASSIC STEEL bike I have. This reads like your oldest kid was scammed since, you know, you wrote it that way. Apologies for reading it how its typed.**
Old 12-02-19, 09:43 AM
molten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To My Reply of letter sent by Livedarklions: the reason why I would care of where my bike was sold ---- is because the longtime used-to-be-friend was reputed by (a)me & (b) local biking society for selling out/off his private property. So that means that if I change my mind to not want to continue selling my bike, as I selected having him sell for me, that I simply go back to his property to recollect my bike and cancel transaction. (misc add): that swap meets be an unknown world of what can happen & what kind of sources come there --- to observe.)

Last edited by molten; 12-02-19 at 10:42 AM. Reason: letter sent by Livedarklions
Old 12-02-19, 09:58 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Reply to mstateglfr: The reason why of delay time until I brought this online is the time of delay until it took the former-friend to pay Me. As first he only paid me partial amount; so I gave extra time, hoping for him to pay me further -- concerning the value of the bike. Then once I made contact, he said he was only going to pay a certain amount of total dollars; as he had already paid 86%. But I was hoping to get that remaining 14%; as I KNEW he was not going to pay the majority. He has changed his way of communication, ever since he told me that he got his first carbon fiber bike; as he has been a steel fanatic as long as I have known him. As he never gave a hint to me that he was going to get into aluminum or carbon fiber. But he be getting older. I've got a question in another direction for all of you: Have any of you known someone who you got a bike from, as that person asked back --- for that bike?.

Last edited by molten; 12-02-19 at 10:41 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-02-19, 10:05 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Evil Bike Swap Meets
Old 12-02-19, 10:18 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This be of a general swap meet, if I was supposed to be that specific; the old school type as in large parking lots. General swap meets are expected to have even stranger sources coming around seller & snooping what be displayed.
Old 12-02-19, 10:46 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
I'm a victim from a longtime (used to be) friend scamming my OLDEST of my CLASSIC STEEL bike I have. As he knew very well the composition & general value of it. With its classic groupset. As I originally assigned him to sell it for me (that meant it being in my original ownership). But all he was assigned, by me, to do was with-hold the bike in his business, for the sake of displaying its selling status. (as the bike was still in my ownership) Rather, I found out later, my bike that I relied that he sell privately on his private property --- was disassembled by him * taken to a swap meet..
This never would have happened with carbon fiber.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-02-19, 10:49 AM
molten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of you live in a local society of those who love your classic, hard-to-find bike. (if you only have that; or maybe a collection of bikes) As friends who known you & your bike/s, other cyclists, etc --- see your bike in bike shop, bike-stops, rides, etc. And say to you: "I WANT ONE OF YOU BIKES WHEN YOU DIE." (there even has been a time said in such to me, as why I used all bold letters)
Old 12-02-19, 11:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Ok, so molten is a bot. This all makes sense now.
Old 12-02-19, 12:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
To My Reply of letter sent by Livedarklions: the reason why I would care of where my bike was sold ---- is because the longtime used-to-be-friend was reputed by (a)me & (b) local biking society for selling out/off his private property. So that means that if I change my mind to not want to continue selling my bike, as I selected having him sell for me, that I simply go back to his property to recollect my bike and cancel transaction. (misc add): that swap meets be an unknown world of what can happen & what kind of sources come there --- to observe.)

I'm officially giving up trying to figure out what this is about. If it's sold, it's sold. This is just bizarre ranting.
Old 12-02-19, 12:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

My Reply to mstateglfr: The reason why of delay time until I brought this online is the time of delay until it took the former-friend to pay Me. As first he only paid me partial amount; so I gave extra time, hoping for him to pay me further -- concerning the value of the bike. Then once I made contact, he said he was only going to pay a certain amount of total dollars; as he had already paid 86%. But I was hoping to get that remaining 14%; as I KNEW he was not going to pay the majority. He has changed his way of communication, ever since he told me that he got his first carbon fiber bike; as he has been a steel fanatic as long as I have known him. As he never gave a hint to me that he was going to get into aluminum or carbon fiber. But he be getting older. I've got a question in another direction for all of you: Have any of you known someone who you got a bike from, as that person asked back --- for that bike?.

Sober up before you post next time.
Old 12-02-19, 12:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
This is all so bizarre I had to do some sleuthing. Apparently some other friend made off with a bike trainer and then there is this in the 50+ Vets Day thread

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-02-19, 12:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This is all so bizarre I had to do some sleuthing. Apparently some other friend made off with a bike trainer and then there is this in the 50+ Vets Day thread

I think his biggest problem was taking the bike to a vet instead of a mechanic. Wonder who he takes his sick dog to.
Old 12-02-19, 12:52 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Yikes...
Old 12-02-19, 01:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Hard to read due to syntax and verb-tense errors. Either a bot, English isn't the primary language, or too high to write coherently.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 12-02-19, 04:46 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv

Yep; an old friend here on teh Biek Forms. Nothing changes ... a classic in the grand tradition of Dreamrider (various guises) and 'the kid from the UK' (various guises).
Likes For badger1:
Old 12-02-19, 05:07 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
I almost bought into this story, but then realized this topic is way off course for the thread. Smiles, MH
Old 12-02-19, 05:58 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Ok, People, besides going off topic and getting close to penalties being served, I’m locking this one up. AND, if you suspect a bot, sock, or whatever, report it and let mods handle it instead of discussing it publicly.