Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gino Bartali owned 1947 Legnano on the market~

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gino Bartali owned 1947 Legnano on the market~

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 05:04 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
So its a Shameful Act to sell a bike for alot of $$$.

That horse of yours is pretty TALL.
No, it's a shameful act to sell a piece of history. It's not just "a bike". Just my opinion of course.
Old 11-07-19, 05:10 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,909 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
I think if it was his actual WWII Bike (the one he used to move messages) the price might be inline.
Now there's a flourish the seller missed out on. You should be in marketing!

I wonder if anyone's taken a peak down the seat tube...

Last edited by P!N20; 11-07-19 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-07-19, 05:13 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
To me it's a shame this is being sold rather than donated to a museum. I recognize that it's a valuable asset, but to throw it to the market rather than ensure it is preserved is a shameful act.
"Throwing to the market" is the best thing that could possibly happen if it's genuine. Think about it! The only people that will pay that kind of money will be enthusiasts who will most likely have deeper interest in "keeping it real". Nobody's going to pay nearly 100k and do anything but preserve it.

Look no further for an example than the plethora of us here on C&V who lovingly restore or preserve bikes that go for less than 1/100th of the asking price. Should that Herse tandem shared recently be in a museum or slowly and carefully restored as close-to-original as planned by the new owner? I vote the latter.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-07-19, 05:27 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20

The bike in question is 2 years after WWII, And yes I used to be in marketing.
Old 11-07-19, 05:30 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
"Throwing to the market" is the best thing that could possibly happen if it's genuine. Think about it! The only people that will pay that kind of money will be enthusiasts who will most likely have deeper interest in "keeping it real". Nobody's going to pay nearly 100k and do anything but preserve it.

Look no further for an example than the plethora of us here on C&V who lovingly restore or preserve bikes that go for less than 1/100th of the asking price. Should that Herse tandem shared recently be in a museum or slowly and carefully restored as close-to-original as planned by the new owner? I vote the latter.

DD
The difference is the Herse tandem didn't belong to a historical figure. That is, if this bike is the real deal.
Old 11-07-19, 05:45 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 3,489 Times in 1,139 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
...I think we purchase best in the market when we do so through the values of humanity/soul, because we have already given the value of our joy/enjoyment to the thing, and then if we use it: ride it, drive it, make things with it, we enter a time machine and for some moments on some rides/uses are in the domain of those artists, riders, etc. who created the soul that lives in the thing and that, that is priceless.
Very nicely said, and I agree with you entirely.

The person who buys this bike, however, may not assign value to it for the same reasons that you or I would: For them it's value may be the prestige that it brings to their collection or the belief that it will increase in value.

I wonder what modest Bartali would think of all this.

Brent
Old 11-07-19, 05:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked 6,439 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Very nicely said, and I agree with you entirely.

The person who buys this bike, however, may not assign value to it for the same reasons that you or I would: For them it's value may be the prestige that it brings to their collection or the belief that it will increase in value.

I wonder what modest Bartali would think of all this.

Brent
Being the good person he was, he may be ok with it or he could be rolling over.........
Old 11-07-19, 07:53 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts

Heh, no telling what one might find, there or inside the head tube. 🤔😁

Along these lines, I just finished a book today, entitled "Himmler", (forget the author's name already), written back in the '60s, during some of the war-crime trials. It was mostly historical, obviously, but they didn't really get too graphical in the writing. That was one creepy guy, worse than Hitler, by a long shot. 🙁👎
Old 11-07-19, 08:03 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
To me it's a shame this is being sold rather than donated to a museum. I recognize that it's a valuable asset, but to throw it to the market rather than ensure it is preserved is a shameful act.
I'm sure it's priced where only a museum could afford it. I mean a few benefactors could contribute and it might just find it's home in a suiting place.
Old 11-07-19, 08:05 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3018 Post(s)
Liked 3,845 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by Highmass
I´m a little surprised, that no one appears to question the validity of the story. The only evidence we have, that this is actually one of Gino Bartali´s bikes, is a piece of paper from someone who is now dead (How convinient for the seller!), and thus can´t confirm it.
Some years ago, the Italians were notorious for selling fakes of collectible whiskies (Many were actually Macallan, or in some cases just fakes of Macallan with other whiskies in the bottles).
Faking is also far too common in the vintage guitar world. It is often said, that of the around 1700 sunburst Gibson Les Paul guitars made between 1958-1960, around 3000 of them is known today. A 1958 Gibson Explorer have even been sold to several well known players/collectors with photo documentation from the "original" owner from the early sixties. Only problem is, that both the guitar and the photos are fakes. I´m pretty sure that the only winners in that case were the legal representatives in the court cases.
So A: Is the bike actually what it is claimed to be. I have no idea, as I know nothing of Legnano. It might well be what it is claimed to be.
But B: It is actually an ex Gino Bartali bike?. Again I know nothing, and it might well be true. But if I were buying the bike, I sure would want some very convincing evidence that the Bartali connection is real. Just like if I were buying a Hendrix guitar, I really would want some very good provenance, before I paid the HUGE extra amount of money, that a Hendrix connection would warrant.
And whats up with the text in the ad?. Does it matter that Bartali alledgedly saved a lot of jews in the war. Don´t get me wrong, I think it´s great, and if he wasen´t given a medal for it, then I think he should have been given one. But I would not be willing to give the current seller of the bike anything for that.
In my estimation, at least 90% of the like in questions price, is down to the Bartali connection. The provenance given is certainly not enough to make me want to pay that kind of money.
Again, I have no reason to believe that anything in the listing is not true, but really, better provenance is needed in my opinion, to pay that kind of money. Fortunately this bike is around 94.800$ beyond my current budget, so I don´t have to worry ´bout it.
Ooooo ... arm-chairing at its finest.

But, if you actually thought about it, at that price, or even at $25K, you would spend the $2500 to actually go there and get whatever info you needed to buy or not buy the bike. The seller isn't some idiot thinking some other idiot is going to fork over that kind of cash for a bike sight unseen. The purpose of the ebay listing is purely to advertise the sale, nothing more.

But keep up the knee jerk reactions, they are entertaining.
Old 11-07-19, 09:07 PM
Sandstrom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Ideal candidate for a fixie conversion.
Old 11-08-19, 05:44 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Everybody I knew who cared all that much about Bartali has gone to that big velodrome in the sky....

And most who even know who he was are at the stage where it's time to restrain the collection.
Old 11-08-19, 06:59 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Everybody I knew who cared all that much about Bartali has gone to that big velodrome in the sky....

And most who even know who he was are at the stage where it's time to restrain the collection.
Well, you've met Dave and myself, but we're still kicking. ..

However, restraint is definitely on my plate. Just finished some tweaks on my what? track bike? egads!
Old 11-08-19, 07:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
"a picture is worth 1000 words."

I'd prefer you use a camera.

Originally Posted by Highmass
I´m a little surprised, that no one appears to question the validity of the story. The only evidence we have, that this is actually one of Gino Bartali´s bikes, is a piece of paper from someone who is now dead (How convinient for the seller!), and thus can´t confirm it.
Some years ago, the Italians were notorious for selling fakes of collectible whiskies (Many were actually Macallan, or in some cases just fakes of Macallan with other whiskies in the bottles).
Faking is also far too common in the vintage guitar world. It is often said, that of the around 1700 sunburst Gibson Les Paul guitars made between 1958-1960, around 3000 of them is known today. A 1958 Gibson Explorer have even been sold to several well known players/collectors with photo documentation from the "original" owner from the early sixties. Only problem is, that both the guitar and the photos are fakes. I´m pretty sure that the only winners in that case were the legal representatives in the court cases.
So A: Is the bike actually what it is claimed to be. I have no idea, as I know nothing of Legnano. It might well be what it is claimed to be.
But B: It is actually an ex Gino Bartali bike?. Again I know nothing, and it might well be true. But if I were buying the bike, I sure would want some very convincing evidence that the Bartali connection is real. Just like if I were buying a Hendrix guitar, I really would want some very good provenance, before I paid the HUGE extra amount of money, that a Hendrix connection would warrant.
And whats up with the text in the ad?. Does it matter that Bartali alledgedly saved a lot of jews in the war. Don´t get me wrong, I think it´s great, and if he wasen´t given a medal for it, then I think he should have been given one. But I would not be willing to give the current seller of the bike anything for that.
In my estimation, at least 90% of the like in questions price, is down to the Bartali connection. The provenance given is certainly not enough to make me want to pay that kind of money.
Again, I have no reason to believe that anything in the listing is not true, but really, better provenance is needed in my opinion, to pay that kind of money. Fortunately this bike is around 94.800$ beyond my current budget, so I don´t have to worry ´bout it.
Old 11-08-19, 07:38 PM
iab

Originally Posted by 63rickert

What I find interesting is that it is listed on the US ebay site and not their Italian site.

I would think you'd get a better price in Italy than here.
Likes For iab:
Old 11-08-19, 09:07 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
The economy in Italy is not terrific right now. The new car market is in trouble.
Fiat is axing the Panda small car, can't make any money with it. New EU CO2 regs are hitting hard- the testing thanks to the VW scandal has tightened up loopholes. Some car companies saw a surge of sales then a dramatic fall off as they could not sell cars waiting for type approval.
so, it does not surprise me not being offered in Italy now. I should look if it had been previously and the listing timed out.
Old 11-08-19, 10:25 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Only person I can think of who could get emotional over Bartali would be Rudy Seno. He'd be 89 if he were around. Dom Ori or Ron Palazzo could talk with Rudi about that era, Gino was not all that big a deal to them. Charlie Yaccino would get a little excited talking about the old races but he'd be 110 now and he didn't have a penny. Any of them would offer a toast, with sincerity, to Gino.

There's last call and there's closing time. And then we sleep.
Old 11-09-19, 04:24 AM
iab

Originally Posted by repechage
The economy in Italy is not terrific right now. The new car market is in trouble.
Fiat is axing the Panda small car, can't make any money with it. New EU CO2 regs are hitting hard- the testing thanks to the VW scandal has tightened up loopholes. Some car companies saw a surge of sales then a dramatic fall off as they could not sell cars waiting for type approval.
so, it does not surprise me not being offered in Italy now. I should look if it had been previously and the listing timed out.
I checked to see if it timed out. Not as far as I can tell, but I'm no expert.

And even though their economy may be tanking, there are always people with money.

I wonder where the seller would land. I know the seller with the original Giotto would probably take 25,000. I bet you could get it for less time of year. I also think he is somewhat optimistic at 25, but it is a unique bike. So I can't imagine this Bartali coming in much higher than 25. Do you know any other precedents?
Old 11-09-19, 07:57 AM
repechage

Who knows, there is an interesting change that seems to effect some best offer eBay transactions, if an under offer is accepted, the original price is struck out but thr transaction is cloaked. Well some of the time, might be cloaked in a quick search of completed transactions but can be found if the item had been on a member’s search set, I forget what they call that, I stumbled on it once and was surprised the actual price was declared. No matter here as only a buy it now, but the vagueness of eBay at work.

this bike looks the part, but so did the Gloria that Gridplan bought. Life did even up the score for that seller eventually.
Old 11-09-19, 08:03 AM
repechage

Patrizio Bertelli has enough money, but he has been financing flying America’s Cup sailboats of late.
Old 11-09-19, 11:27 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked 4,698 Times in 1,794 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
(...) I wonder what modest Bartali would think of all this.
"Hey, I put that in the shed when I got that yellow bike with my name on it"

Old 11-09-19, 09:39 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 4,426 Times in 2,101 Posts
The majority of transportation museums I know of rely on grants*, deep-pocketed donors, or serve as a tax shelter structured around an affluent collector's own personal vehicles. When any of these funds or benefits run out, so does the museum. Either that, or the museum gets so busy chasing funding that the exhibits become dictated by the soup du jour of grants available at any given time.

What's more, I've yet to see any museum exhibit a bicycle (or vehicle, for that matter) in a manner that allows the more eager patron to really delve into the depth of history behind said exhibit. I know this does exist in some exceptional cases (the Swiss Museum of Transport, for instance), and sometimes the artifacts speak for themselves. Still, I'm tired of museum after museum with:

A. Overcaffinated one-page write-ups that read as if the artifact's Wikipedia page was hijacked by a C-grade college marketing student, where I learn absolutely nothing new about what I came to see,
or
B. The artifact's real story wrapped around some tall-tale BS, made worse with grammar that resembles those unintelligible mind barfs that Vintage_Schwinn likes to post here on occasion.

Should that be the fate of this bike? Nah. I'd rather chance on it at some obscure event, and have its new, eager owner (if such a thing will ever happen at this idiotic price) wax poetic about the tiniest of details relating to its history. Not that waxing poetic about it's history is exactly possible since all it seems to have is a Microsoft Word Provenance Report™.

-Kurt

*even part of the Smithsonian's funds are federal grants, not just appropriated federal funds.

Last edited by cudak888; 11-09-19 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 10:45 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A really vintage bike

Originally Posted by bikemig
95,000 clams for a bike . . .
A beautiful piece of history that belongs in a museum. However it is worth only what one will pay, not what one thinks it's worth.