Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bikesdirect Mini Velo upgrade thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bikesdirect Mini Velo upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 12:54 PM
efeight

Bikes: parlee altum R, 3rensho katana, mercier nano, campy equipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kimbo305
For which speeds? Do you have 2 ghost shifts?
no ghost shifts. works as if it were a campy 8sp.

campy chorus 10 shifters.
stock nano 8sp RD and FD
11-32 8sp casssette
Old 01-09-17, 12:55 PM
kimbo305

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by efeight
no ghost shifts. works as if it were a campy 8sp.

campy chorus 10 shifters.
stock nano 8sp RD and FD
11-32 8sp casssette
Interesting -- how does the shifter limit itself to just 8 shifts? Is it the RD limits that lock it? Like do you match it up highest gear on the shifter to smallest cog on the RD?
Old 01-09-17, 12:58 PM
efeight

Bikes: parlee altum R, 3rensho katana, mercier nano, campy equipped

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shifters dictate the clicks, indexing.
RD dictates the sweep/ upper lower limit.
Old 01-09-17, 05:58 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by kimbo305
For which speeds? Do you have 2 ghost shifts?
Yes, that's how it works. You use 8-of-10 clicks for an 8-speed cassette. Apparently 11/9 works, too.
Old 03-22-17, 10:37 AM
Cowick22

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Handlebar width

I have read through the thread and did not read anything about this question I have. My Mercier Nano is on its way from bikesdirect. I definitely want to upgrade the handlebars to some short and shallow compact bars. My question is since the effective TT is 3.5cm shorter than my cyclocross bike should I use handlebars that are wider to accommodate the handlebars being closer to me?
I posed this question in the fitting forum in much more detail and got no response.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-your-bike/1101912-going-soma-double-cross-dc-mercier-nano.html

...Thought I might have better luck here.

Last edited by Cowick22; 03-22-17 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Clarity of post
Old 03-22-17, 03:29 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Use a longer stem with drop rather than rise. I use a Velo Orange stem of 130mm in length with -/+17° rise on a minivelo. On a headtube of 73°, a -17° stem offers no effective rise and lies parallel to the ground. Here's an image of such setup...

Originally Posted by Cowick22
I have read through the thread and did not read anything about this question I have. My Mercier Nano is on its way from bikesdirect. I definitely want to upgrade the handlebars to some short and shallow compact bars. My question is since the effective TT is 3.5cm shorter than my cyclocross bike should I use handlebars that are wider to accommodate the handlebars being closer to me?
I posed this question in the fitting forum in much more detail and got no response.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-your-bike/1101912-going-soma-double-cross-dc-mercier-nano.html

Old 03-22-17, 04:01 PM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Use a longer stem with drop rather than rise. I use a Velo Orange stem of 130mm in length with -/+17° rise on a minivelo. On a headtube of 73°, a -17° stem offers no effective rise and lies parallel to the ground. Here's an image of such setup...

Thank you very much. I will look into copying this set up or something close to it.... Btw that is a really cool rig! Beautiful bike!
Old 03-22-17, 05:07 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Thanks.

Another issue to think about is the diameter of the steerer and stem. Minivelo steerers tend to be 1" in diameter while the standard, most common stem diameter is 1-1/8". If the steerer is 1", you will need a shim, like I did, when installing those VO stems which are 1-1/8". Fortunaly VO knows this, and sells the shims which match their stems previsely.

Another way to stretch out the cockpit is to use a seatpost with set-back, meaning the saddle is pushed back relative to the axis of the seatpost and seat tube. On minivelos with short wheelbases of 93cm like the Nano, and my own mixte minivelo, however, this may have a negative impact on weight distribution and handling.

Thank you very much. I will look into copying this set up or something close to it.... Btw that is a really cool rig! Beautiful bike!

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 03-22-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 11:29 PM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks.

Another issue to think about is the diameter of the steerer and stem. Minivelo steerers tend to be 1" in diameter while the standard, most common stem diameter is 1-1/8". If the steerer is 1", you will need a shim, like I did, when installing those VO stems which are 1-1/8". Fortunaly VO knows this, and sells the shims which match their stems previsely.

Another way to stretch out the cockpit is to use a seatpost with set-back, meaning the saddle is pushed back relative to the axis of the seatpost and seat tube. On minivelos with short wheelbases of 93cm like the Nano, and my own mixte minivelo, however, this may have a negative impact on weight distribution and handling.
Thank you so much for all the input. I am actually looking forward to the shorter cockpit and wheelbase of the mini velo, I think it will be a fun bike when I am finished getting it set up.
What tires are you running on yours?
I am leaning towards Tioga Powerblocks but am a little concerned that they are race tires so am not sure how they will hold up in wet conditions....
Old 03-22-17, 11:52 PM
Abu Mahendra

Take a look at the Maxxis Torch 37-451.

Or the Maxxis DTH.

Thank you so much for all the input. I am actually looking forward to the shorter cockpit and wheelbase of the mini velo, I think it will be a fun bike when I am finished getting it set up.
What tires are you running on yours?
I am leaning towards Tioga Powerblocks but am a little concerned that they are race tires so am not sure how they will hold up in wet conditions....
Old 03-22-17, 11:56 PM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Take a look at the Maxxis Torch 37-451.

Or the Maxxis DTH.
I'll look into the dth's as I know they are 406's and that's the size wheel the Nano has. I have heard good things about Maxxis, I have friends that I run 650b's and swear by their Maxxis. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-23-17, 12:06 AM
Abu Mahendra

Oh, sorry. Forgot the Nano is 406. Yeah, I'd look to the DTHs...

I'll look into the dth's as I know they are 406's and that's the size wheel the Nano has. I have heard good things about Maxxis, I have friends that I run 650b's and swear by their Maxxis. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-23-17, 05:49 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Another option from Velo Orange is an adaptor that goes from a 1" stem to a 11/. this will allow you to use a longer stem and you will also be able to benefit from a removable face plate so you can pull the bars without taking everything off. Between a longer stem and handlebars that have a grip ahead of the stem end such as bullhorns, moustache bars, regular bars with bar ends, or even the bars that come with the bike.
Old 03-25-17, 08:07 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts

https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-yo...cier-nano.html

I'm not sure I follow the rationale which would suggest bar width should increase as the bars come nearer, so I guess I'd answer "No," presuming you like the width of the bars on your CX bike in the first place.

Also, it's going to be difficult to find a modern short/shallow bar in the Nano's stem clamp size of 26.0; I recall the Soma HWY One fits the bill. You'll may find it makes more sense to use a threadless stem converter and step up to the new 31.8 standard, as the stock stem is really quite cheap looking anyway.
Old 03-26-17, 05:43 AM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I'm not sure I follow the rationale which would suggest bar width should increase as the bars come nearer, so I guess I'd answer "No," presuming you like the width of the bars on your CX bike in the first place.

Also, it's going to be difficult to find a modern short/shallow bar in the Nano's stem clamp size of 26.0; I recall the Soma HWY One fits the bill. You'll may find it makes more sense to use a threadless stem converter and step up to the new 31.8 standard, as the stock stem is really quite cheap looking anyway.
Chaadster, thanks for replying.
Well the rationale is such that yes, since the cockpit will be tighter should my bars be wider? As I am quite broad shouldered and I feel that a 40cm bar being closer to my body would be an uncomfortable riding position.
I measured my shoulders (bony part to bony part as 42 cm and added 2 cm as Art's cyclery says in their video.) I went ahead and purchased a 44cm short shallow bar with 31.8 bar clamp diameter. Yes i am using a 1 to 1 1/8 inch adapter with an 80cm threadless stem that fits 31.8 bars. So we will see how the fit feels when I put the bike together (it's still in the box).

PS I hate the stock quill stem and definitely wanted to replace it for asthetics alone. There are so many elegant quill stems to choose from and that chunky clunky-looking thing is what they chose? It's begging to be upgraded and discarded.
Old 03-26-17, 05:53 AM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Question regarding headset stack hieght and the Mercier Nano

I have been looking at JIS headsets and see several on eBay in my price range of $5-$30. My question is does anyone know the stack hieght of the stock headset and how much leeway does one have in choosing a new headset with more or less stack hieght than the stock headset and it still work with the stock fork?
I am quite adept as an ameteur bike mechanic but I will admit that headsets are something I know very little about.
Old 03-26-17, 07:54 AM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I have used 3 of these, one in 1 1/8 and two in i". They cost a bit more but have worked flawlessly for years. Google measuring headsets and see if your will fit one. '\
Grand Cru 1" Sealed Bearing Headset - Headsets - Components
Old 03-26-17, 09:22 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Chaadster, thanks for replying.
Well the rationale is such that yes, since the cockpit will be tighter should my bars be wider? As I am quite broad shouldered and I feel that a 40cm bar being closer to my body would be an uncomfortable riding position.
I measured my shoulders (bony part to bony part as 42 cm and added 2 cm as Art's cyclery says in their video.) I went ahead and purchased a 44cm short shallow bar with 31.8 bar clamp diameter. Yes i am using a 1 to 1 1/8 inch adapter with an 80cm threadless stem that fits 31.8 bars. So we will see how the fit feels when I put the bike together (it's still in the box).

PS I hate the stock quill stem and definitely wanted to replace it for asthetics alone. There are so many elegant quill stems to choose from and that chunky clunky-looking thing is what they chose? It's begging to be upgraded and discarded.
I understand your question about bar width, but I guess I've just never thought of, nor heard of, making any such width adjustment based on reach. To think about it, I guess I'd reckon that at the extremes of bike types, okay, put wider bars on a Dutch upright than on a road racer, but I don't know how to figure how comfort might factor in vis-a-vis width with decreasing bar/saddle reach on a drop bar bike. Sorry I can't help with that!
Old 03-26-17, 09:29 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I have been looking at JIS headsets and see several on eBay in my price range of $5-$30. My question is does anyone know the stack hieght of the stock headset and how much leeway does one have in choosing a new headset with more or less stack hieght than the stock headset and it still work with the stock fork?
I am quite adept as an ameteur bike mechanic but I will admit that headsets are something I know very little about.
I just put the calipers on my stock Nano headset, and it looks like 35.5mm (25.5 upper cup to locknot top, and 10mm for lower cup).

You're going to need to stay pretty close, obviously, because you'll need to have enough purchase on the steerer threads with the locknut. Of course you know that, probably, so I guess I'd say 1.5mm either way because there is a spacer washer you can remove and substitute with a little thread locker to drop height of a taller unit a bit if needed. I'm no pro, though, so verify that!

HTH...and yeah, the stock HS is a POS; not even sealed! Let us know if you find a good JIS unit. I've been wanting to replace mine, but really wanted a blue one, and could only find one for $200; I'd be happy with black at this point.
Old 03-26-17, 03:17 PM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I understand your question about bar width, but I guess I've just never thought of, nor heard of, making any such width adjustment based on reach. To think about it, I guess I'd reckon that at the extremes of bike types, okay, put wider bars on a Dutch upright than on a road racer, but I don't know how to figure how comfort might factor in vis-a-vis width with decreasing bar/saddle reach on a drop bar bike. Sorry I can't help with that!
No worries Chaadster, it's probably something that i will have to just use some trial and error based on personal preference. I appreciate you taking the time to think about and add input on this issue.
Old 03-26-17, 04:11 PM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
I have used 3 of these, one in 1 1/8 and two in i". They cost a bit more but have worked flawlessly for years. Google measuring headsets and see if your will fit one. '\
Grand Cru 1" Sealed Bearing Headset - Headsets - Components
I don't believe that one will fit the nano because it is ISO, but I believe this one will because it is JIS.

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/headsets/vo-alloy-headset-in-iso-or-jis-size-46.html

That VO headset is an option I am looking at but I would like to have a black headset and am thinking about trying out one of these from eBay:
Look at this on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/381938306285

Look at this on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/311831224525

Look at this on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/201025694526
Old 03-26-17, 06:37 PM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just put the calipers on my stock Nano headset, and it looks like 35.5mm (25.5 upper cup to locknot top, and 10mm for lower cup).

You're going to need to stay pretty close, obviously, because you'll need to have enough purchase on the steerer threads with the locknut. Of course you know that, probably, so I guess I'd say 1.5mm either way because there is a spacer washer you can remove and substitute with a little thread locker to drop height of a taller unit a bit if needed. I'm no pro, though, so verify that!

HTH...and yeah, the stock HS is a POS; not even sealed! Let us know if you find a good JIS unit. I've been wanting to replace mine, but really wanted a blue one, and could only find one for $200; I'd be happy with black at this point.
Chaadster,
Thanks for the measurement data, it's much appreciated. One of the headsets I linked to had 30.6mm stack height, with 30mm outer diameter, and 27mm crown race, weighs 100grams and sells for around $25, so I'll probably go with that one and let you know it works out.

Quick question though is it possible that the listed stack hieght of 30.6mm is too short? I don't think that would be a problem as I know a stack hieght can be too long/tall but am not sure that the opposite could pose any issues...

Last edited by Cowick22; 03-26-17 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Wrong measurement data in post
Old 03-26-17, 06:45 PM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Disregard that last question about stack hieght shortness. I see you had already answered it in saying 1.5mm either way.
So I will probably then go with one of the other headsets I listed that sells for $13.99, and has these specs:
Steel MINI BMX / ROAD BIKE headset - 1" threaded

Material: Steel
Finish: BLACK
Size: For 1" threaded forks (BC1)
Diameter: 30mm bearing cups/27mm crown race, This is known as a "JIS" headset (as opposed to a ISO headset).
Stack Height: 24.5mm + 10.5mm = 35mm
Bearing: Caged: 5/32" X 8
Weight: 126 g
Old 03-26-17, 07:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Disregard that last question about stack hieght shortness. I see you had already answered it in saying 1.5mm either way.
So I will probably then go with one of the other headsets I listed that sells for $13.99, and has these specs:
Steel MINI BMX / ROAD BIKE headset - 1" threaded

Material: Steel
Finish: BLACK
Size: For 1" threaded forks (BC1)
Diameter: 30mm bearing cups/27mm crown race, This is known as a "JIS" headset (as opposed to a ISO headset).
Stack Height: 24.5mm + 10.5mm = 35mm
Bearing: Caged: 5/32" X 8
Weight: 126 g
Be aware that looks exactly like the stock unit on the Nano, and so there is probably no point in replacing with same.
Old 03-26-17, 08:17 PM
Cowick22

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Be aware that looks exactly like the stock unit on the Nano, and so there is probably no point in replacing with same.
Good call. Thanks for looking out. I guess I'll just have to deal with the stock HS for now or maybe look into the VO jis HS for $28. I would rather have it in black so I'll probably hold off doing anything to it except greasing it for now. Thanks again
Likes For Cowick22:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.