Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2016: How was your MTB ride today?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 03:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts

Starting this thread because I don't see one like it in this subforum!

I just put the MTB back in MTB service from its brief incarnation as a baby-seat platform. Cruiser bars off, riser bar back on! I rode along Lake Natoma. My ride was out and back, maybe about four miles. From the trailhead I went left where I usually go right (right is the direction of my commute) and explored some single track I'd known was there but had never been on. The trailhead is at the plateau level and the trail starts with a descent to lake level and the paved bike trail, then the path parallels the MUP all along the lake. The path often follows the ridge line where the MUP is at lake level so there's a lot more up and down. I'm no hero, I had to get off and push quite often. We are solidly into winter here now, and the morning dew keeps the ground damp even when it hasn't rained for a few days. And our local river rocks are slick as heck where they poke out of the dirt. But it was dry enough not to be muddy in most places. My ride was out and back, maybe about four miles. I overate at breakfast, and that does some things to my bad ticker, so I wasn't feeling great, that's why it was short. But I was glad to be out there!

So how was your ride today?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-04-16, 03:06 AM
tk1971

Bikes: Nishiki Prestige, Reign, IH Warrior, Rockhopper, Brompton, Q-Bike, Forever, Free-Ride, Dahon, Merckx Premium, Litespeed Teramo, Raleigh MTi 1000, Motobecane Fly Ti, OnOne 456, Kona Unit, Transition TransAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In early 2015, I somehow hurt up my back. Road biking was hard, if not impossible. I couldn't move my head to look straight up without lots of pain. Forget about jerking it quickly left / right.

I stuck to mountain bikes and fire roads, but the drop bar conversions were out. Doctors sent me to physical therapy to learn the obligatory exercises to do on my own for my back. I also bought an inversion table.

By the end of 2015, I'm 75-80%. Did a short road bike trail that didn't kill me. But I stuck to fire roads (no single tracks yet), but was determined to get stronger. Converted one bike to single speed for a trial run (I'm one of those who would watch VHS tapes while at fast forward speeds). Liked it and bought a 29er SS rigid bike. Been riding it since. Still waiting for my heart and lungs to catch up.

I didn't ride today, but my first 2016 ride was yesterday. And it was glorious.

Met up with my usual riding partner (brother in law) plus 2 buddies we haven't seen in a while. Sadly, one of them developed diabetes from work/stress/weight since the last time we rode together. We all pledged to ride more.

We had a great time. Thanks for asking Darth.

kona unit by tk_1971, on Flickr

GOPR0041.MP4_000106855 by tk_1971, on Flickr

Last edited by tk1971; 01-04-16 at 03:28 AM. Reason: add pics of buds
Old 01-04-16, 10:51 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My ride was on cross country skis on my place . . .

Old 01-04-16, 12:25 PM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01.03 lotb 21.jpg (93.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-11-16, 11:22 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

With the weather clear and having been clear for a few days, I picked the MTB for the morning commute. The dirt was 90% good. I dodged a lot of puddles that I might have plowed through if I weren't trying to keep my pants clean! I'm not as confident on damp pack as I am on dry pack, though I know intellectually the wet is more forgiving. In at least one spot I slowed down on a berm and sideslipped down to the bottom, where I ordinarily would have railed it. I can feel that my WTB Wolverines aren't toothy enough for this. The news on the radio was of David Bowie's passing. This gave the music a city vibe, which is sort of an ill fit to riding through a musty mushroomy oak forest.
Old 01-11-16, 09:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

On the way home in the dark I hit all the puddles I'd missed in the morning... what a mess :-D
Old 01-11-16, 10:42 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Most recent ride was Saturday. I finally took my fully rigid SS to my fourth favorite local ride. It is a goofy place, given it is rather small and tons of trail for its size. Being this way, it just winds around, never stops, and is always up or down. In my favorite ride areas 1-3, I like my bikes equally, finding different ways to enjoy each. In this one, I like riding it on my FS much , much better. I can use some of the uphill to spin and get a break, per se. Riding the SS there kills my old ass.
Old 01-17-16, 05:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

With the toddler down for a nap, I left his mom in charge and I took some unfamiliar turns and rode around in the dredgings. I always get lost in here so it always seems fresh!

Conditions today evolved from last report. Mostly nice but sludge and puddles in the low spots. But the mud has been churned into batter since then. The puddles are followed by slick uphill ruts and there was some wheel slip. Got home just before the rain started - it's supposed to rain all night and often through the week which should pretty well prevent MTB for all but the most dedicated.

On a little-traveled section of the MUP (which having watched too much Dakar, I think of as a liaison stage), there was a kid and a dad teaching the mom to ride. She was getting it, but pretty wobbly. I think she was going to get it pretty quick, though.
Old 01-17-16, 08:44 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Had a great ride, even though it was slick and sloppy. Virtually nobody on the trails. Did come across a dad and daughter, she did one of those ultra slow tip overs, but she was fine. Great to see the kids out learning to ride!
Old 01-18-16, 12:56 AM
rlmj

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So.. I'll include yesterday as well, because it kind of intertwines to today.

I put the road bike away the other day and pulled out the MTB.. that meant it was time for some trails and some well bundled gear for my daily trail rides. Yesterday I rode around the NYC area for around 78 miles, taking the fresh kills park walk/bikeway to la tourette park, to finishing off at wolfes pond park before heading back home for a small break. Flipped over head first for the first time, for not seeing a tree branch that was in a puddle.. not a single mark on my body besides a small bandaid wound on the knee. I hit my head HARD.. thank helmets! (pun intended) After my break I ventured off again towards the ferry and did a lap in central park, before ending off my night by eating some chicken over rice before getting back on the ferry to head home. Slipped off my bike again but caught my fall in times square for riding on the edge of a steel road plate.

Tonight I pulled it out around 9ish.. went for the normal fresh kills ride and ended up on my rear-end for taking a right turn too sharp on some thin black ice. Was a pretty nice ride though. Decent patches of snow, no wind chill. A perfect winter night ride. That snow did us good tonight.

As much as my muscles may be fatigued for my record 3 falls in 2 days, I had a great ride tonight. I may go out again in a bit just for shigs.
I don't know if it's allowed, but allow me if I may -- if you're also a night time rider, check out the cycle torch on amazon ($30). GREAT light. Bought another one to make a pair. I can see EVERYTHING!

In return I'd like a suggestion on a good bluetooth radio that will fit in a bottle holder or something of the sort.. I'm extremely hesitant with even one earbud riding at night. Not too pricy, but just right.. 1.5hr run time is ideal.
Old 01-18-16, 09:29 PM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is always hot and humid here at the islands
Attached Images
Old 02-06-16, 11:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Shoulda been a better ride today! The conditions are fantastic. This time of year the dew falls with a heavy thud but it hasn't rained in a while, so the dirt is perfectly damp and no mud. But the bike wouldn't cooperate. Slow leak, had to stop and pump every couple of miles. I ran out of time, SWMBO packed the toddler up and came to get me instead of wait for me to get home.

Did the patching when I got home... a tiny piece of soft wire, like maybe from a brush. This might be the day that pushes me over to tubeless. These tires are race level and they've been fantastic to ride on but they have no liner, they suck up things that my commuter tires would not have noticed and they are flat all the time.
Old 02-07-16, 12:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
On Friday I took my first MTB ride of the century and it was freaking amazing.

Brand new (used) bike, F/S 2009 Cannondale Rize 4 ... so i din't know how the bike worked and I barely remembered how to ride on dirt. The bike is super-responsive---cuts corners really well with a little lean, something I had forgotten how to do (and forgot a few times while riding.) I did fine on the beginner stuff but failed a couple of the really hefty climbs---particularly when there was a 9-12" step-up in the middle of the climb. I just didn't have the strength or the technique for the really steep climbs.

I only crashed a few times and only got a few scrapes .... so maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. Fitness is execrable .... same as on the road bike.

I had forgotten what a non-stop rush trail-riding can be.
Old 02-11-16, 11:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I took the MTB for my commute today. It's been a while now since it rained, and the trails are mostly dry. I still haven't gotten back the trust in my tires and myself that I had before my wreck last July. The ride in was nice but eerie, I only encountered a single jogger. The ride back home was pushed later by a long meeting and cut off by a dying headlight which made me go back to the road. The single track was almost frightening, it might have been better without the light entirely.
Old 02-12-16, 12:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I took the MTB for my commute today. It's been a while now since it rained, and the trails are mostly dry. I still haven't gotten back the trust in my tires and myself that I had before my wreck last July. The ride in was nice but eerie, I only encountered a single jogger. The ride back home was pushed later by a long meeting and cut off by a dying headlight which made me go back to the road. The single track was almost frightening, it might have been better without the light entirely.
Glad you are getting back on the bike and back on the trails. I know a lot of people ride MTB trails at night but I cannot imagine doing it unless i Really knew the trails ... and then I still am not sure. Congratulations to you.
Old 02-12-16, 07:29 AM
CannedPakes
Bar Ends Forever

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
I fractured my clavicle 200% on my first mountain bike ride of 2016. At least it will be warmer when I can ride again.
Old 02-12-16, 11:14 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by CannedPakes
I fractured my clavicle 200% on my first mountain bike ride of 2016. At least it will be warmer when I can ride again.
Damn! Story?
Old 02-12-16, 11:36 AM
Maelochs

Now That is a positive attitude. I am leaving in a short wehile for my third MTB ride of the 21st century; no offense, but I will not be following the paths blazed by most of the respondents, most of whom seem to crash at significantly higher speeds than I.
Old 02-12-16, 12:52 PM
CannedPakes
Bar Ends Forever

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Damn! Story?
I hit a big pile of snow going downhill that had apparently frozen so it just turned into an unexpected ramp. Launched up into the air, flew over the handlebars and landed hard right on my shoulder which in turn broke the clavicle.
Old 02-13-16, 06:32 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Got my brand spanking new American Classic wide rim tubeless wheel set all mounted up mid week,

Accelerates like I got a motor under me,
Skitters up steep grades a bunch better,
Lighter and stiffer the wheels are,
Faster am I
Going back out tomorrow fur sure....

Gonna get me sum 'Flow'

Flow: flow, also known as the zone, is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In essence, flow is characterized by complete absorption in what one does.

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 11:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Around the Lake. From left to right, coworker, BIL, Yrs. Trly. I guided for the first half and we let ourselves get lost after that. I made it up a couple of slopes today by skill that I've never made by power. That felt pretty good.

We all have inexpensive bikes, 10-15yo 26ers whose equivalent would each cost $600-750 or so today. Mine even has V brakes. They hold up better than you might expect reading reviews!

Untitled by Darth Lefty, on Flickr

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-15-16 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-14-16, 05:02 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Around the Lake. From left to right, coworker, BIL, Yrs. Trly. I guided for the first half and we let ourselves get lost after that. I made it up a couple of slopes today by skill that I've never made by power. That felt pretty good.

We all have inexpensive bikes, 10-15yo 26ers whose equivalent would cost $600-750 or so today. Mine even has V brakes. They hold up better than you might expect reading reviews!

Yeah them's older bikes are built tuff, I ride a lower end bike and It serves me well

The truth remains the same, "It ain't the bike It's the engine",,,,Mostly
Old 02-14-16, 07:42 AM
Maelochs

I overate at breakfast, and that does some things to my bad ticker, so I wasn't feeling great, that's why it was short. But I was glad to be out there! So how was your ride today?
I understand the difficulty of riding with a heart which doesn't always want to cooperate. Great for you to be out doing it.

My last ride wasn't much longer than your first---at one point my lower back told me, "If you quit now you will be sore tomorrow. If you don't take this bail-out road and instead try to finish the trail loop, you will be laid up for three days. Your choice."

I folded, and pedaled back to the parking lot in low gear.

I didn't even get riding hard enough to get my heart complaining, but in this cold weather, my asthma kicks in and slows me down ... to protect my heart, I am sure.

Wait ... "had" to get off and push? I thought we were supposed to!
Old 02-14-16, 07:44 AM
Maelochs

I hit a big pile of snow going downhill that had apparently frozen so it just turned into an unexpected ramp. Launched up into the air, flew over the handlebars and landed hard right on my shoulder which in turn broke the clavicle.
Hope you are healing well. At least you got a good story out of it.
Old 02-26-16, 12:53 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

A nice one today, the day was long enough now that I can fit my MTB commute into daylight both directions! However I sort of feel like my ride is giving me reminders that I need to work on skills. I didn't do anything ambitious, and I had to hike a few climbs that I should have been able to ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.