Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Budget Hot or Not....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Budget Hot or Not....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 10:10 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Changed my mind. $1500 new. With wheels and pedals, about $1900.

NOT!!!

Okay, so it's hot. Just didn't want to give you the satisfaction of saying so.
Old 01-21-12, 11:19 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
NOT!!!

Okay, so it's hot. Just didn't want to give you the satisfaction of saying so.
Dang, you got me on that. This is a great thread because when I was first considering taking up the sport, a good friend of mine who is an avid cyclist told me that I should expect to spend about $4000 to get a decent bike. $4,000! Right then I almost said, oh, well...nevermind. About a month later I decided to check out a bike shop for myself and I was hooked. You really don't need to spend a ton to get a good bike.

So many beautiful bikes on this thread. I particularly like that Fuji SL1...HOT!

Last edited by pgjackson; 01-21-12 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-21-12, 11:33 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Dang, you got me on that. This is a great thread because when I was first considering taking up the sport, a good friend of mine who is an avid cyclist told me that I should expect to spend about $4000 to get a decent bike. $4,000! Right then I almost said, oh, well...nevermind. About a month later I decided to check out a bike shop for myself and I was hooked. You really don't need to spend a ton to get a good bike.

So many beautiful bikes on this thread. I particularly like that Fuji SL1...HOT!
Thanks. Right now it has so much dirt and grime on it I'm not even sure what color my SL1 is. I'm kind of afraid that when I finally break down and wash it I'll find out that I've been riding someone else's bike.

Spending a ton of money certainly is not necessary. It is kind of fun though, when you understand that you are spending the money on "wants" and not "needs". Granted, I do enjoy riding my Colnago more than I enjoy the Fuji, I don't enjoy it $4,000 or $5,000 more than the Fuji.
Old 01-21-12, 11:35 AM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The parallel downtube and seatstays put this bike in odd proportions that it is somewhat not so eye pleasing.
Old 01-21-12, 11:37 AM
pgjackson

Thanks. Right now it has so much dirt and grime on it I'm not even sure what color my SL1 is. I'm kind of afraid that when I finally break down and wash it I'll find out that I've been riding someone else's bike.

Spending a ton of money certainly is not necessary. It is kind of fun though, when you understand that you are spending the money on "wants" and not "needs". Granted, I do enjoy riding my Colnago more than I enjoy the Fuji, I don't enjoy it $4,000 or $5,000 more than the Fuji.
I started out on a $399 Fuji Newest 3.0. I thought that was a lot of money for a bike at the time. If you had told me that within 18 months I'd be spending $1900 on bike I would have said you were crazy.
Old 01-21-12, 11:40 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
The parallel downtube and seatstays put this bike in odd proportions that it is somewhat not so eye pleasing.
It does have a parallelogram look to it.
Old 01-21-12, 11:43 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

I started out on a $399 Fuji Newest 3.0. I thought that was a lot of money for a bike at the time. If you had told me that within 18 months I'd be spending $1900 on bike I would have said you were crazy.
I just noticed the gear combination you shot your bike in. Also, valve stems need to be at the bottom of photo, or both hidden by the bike. I take back my hot until you fix those items. The only thing I don't particularly care for on your bike are the pedals and the tires. The good thing about those tires is that in a few thousand miles you should be much better at fixing flats.
Old 01-21-12, 11:56 AM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
@pgjackson, that is one nice looking bike and for that kinda money that is one heck of a deal too.
Old 01-21-12, 11:59 AM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

With a slammed stem, and black pedals, and no wheel decals, that would be sooooooo sexy
Old 01-21-12, 12:00 PM
yzeater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

~$1400 all in.
Likes For yzeater:
Old 01-21-12, 12:09 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

asthetically that is HOTTT!!! how does she ride!? I really like that. Im usually not a fan of black and red bikes but that is sexy as all hell! if anything I would change out the red pedals, but that all personal.
Old 01-21-12, 12:12 PM
veggie
certified vegetarian

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jsiegs
Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the frame/fork? I want to see if I got a good deal too or if I overpaid.
Mine is a '94, so the comparison might not be accurate, but I paid about 155 shipped. Frame/fork/hs/bb
Old 01-21-12, 12:14 PM
veggie
certified vegetarian

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yzeater

~$1400 all in.
Very nice, My dad is going to rebuild his 585 soon. I got him a cdale carbon six and he was riding that for a while.
Old 01-21-12, 01:00 PM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bianchi10
what saddle is that? looks so thin, I'd be afriad it would snap as soon as I sat on it!
It's a HED saddle that apparently came on their VO4 (?) TT bikes. I got it in with some random parts. I didn't like the way the sides felt on long rides so I swapped it for an equally hard carbon SLR that's unpadded as well. Love that saddle.

Originally Posted by rat fink

Really like this!

Originally Posted by yzeater

~$1400 all in.
And this..just googled November wheels. Looks like some more Gigantex rims (?). Nice!
Old 01-21-12, 01:10 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by bianchi10
asthetically that is HOTTT!!! how does she ride!? I really like that. Im usually not a fan of black and red bikes but that is sexy as all hell! if anything I would change out the red pedals, but that all personal.
A friend suggested Keo Classic pedals and I got a smoking deal on red. Not all knocked out about them. My old Forte CF pedals were much easier to clip-in.
Old 01-21-12, 01:12 PM
pgjackson

I just noticed the gear combination you shot your bike in. Also, valve stems need to be at the bottom of photo, or both hidden by the bike. I take back my hot until you fix those items. The only thing I don't particularly care for on your bike are the pedals and the tires. The good thing about those tires is that in a few thousand miles you should be much better at fixing flats.
Yep, I noticed that as well and was wondering how long before someone pointed that out . I live half way up a 8% grade, so I'm usually on the small ring when I get home. I will definately make adjustements and take new pictures. Hopefully it won't piss anyone off.
Old 01-21-12, 01:16 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by Vaportrail56
@pgjackson, that is one nice looking bike and for that kinda money that is one heck of a deal too.
Thanks! I see you are in Pensacola. My family is one of the founding families of Pensacola. Been a Pensacola resident my whole life (military). I was stationed there from 97-2001. I go back a couple of times a year for conferences. Trying to find a job in the Panhandle area when I retire in November. Love that place.
Old 01-21-12, 01:19 PM
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Paid $1280 in 2005 with FSA Crank. Since then up grades include Dura Ace BB, Ultegra rear der, Wheels, tires, cassette, stem, bars and saddle. I do race this bike.

Old 01-21-12, 01:20 PM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around $1100

Old 01-21-12, 01:22 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend suggested Keo Classic pedals and I got a smoking deal on red. Not all knocked out about them. My old Forte CF pedals were much easier to clip-in.
I exchanged my Forte CF pedals at PB due to recall and had the choice to get the either Keo Classic or the Plus. Went with the Plus.
Old 01-21-12, 01:56 PM
pgjackson

I exchanged my Forte CF pedals at PB due to recall and had the choice to get the either Keo Classic or the Plus. Went with the Plus.
Did not know there was a recall. Maybe that is why I couldn't find them when looking for pedals for the new bike. Since you had the Forte pedals before as well, do you find the Keo pedals harder to clip in?
Old 01-21-12, 02:04 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did not know there was a recall. Maybe that is why I couldn't find them when looking for pedals for the new bike. Since you had the Forte pedals before as well, do you find the Keo pedals harder to clip in?
Yes there is. Apparently there was an issue with them breaking at the axle. I have the Plus on my other bikes so it was natural to me and like it very much. Try to play with the tension adjuster. Might help.
Old 01-21-12, 02:06 PM
pgjackson

Yes there is. Apparently there was an issue with them breaking at the axle. I have the Plus on my other bikes so it was natural to me and like it very much. Try to play with the tension adjuster. Might help.
Headed to the garage right now. Raining cats and dogs today in San Diego. Good day to fiddle around with the bike. It's amazing how quickly matte paint gets filthy.
Old 01-21-12, 02:35 PM
weaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just don't get how people think this one is hot, no offense to whoever's bike it is. Way to cluttered looking for my tastes, and just looks way out of proportion and poorly fitted. Nothing classic about it, already looks dated.

This one however, best of the thread thus far. Love small diameter carbon tubes

Old 01-21-12, 02:55 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by weaver
I just don't get how people think this one is hot, no offense to whoever's bike it is. Way to cluttered looking for my tastes, and just looks way out of proportion and poorly fitted. Nothing classic about it, already looks dated.

This one however, best of the thread thus far. Love small diameter carbon tubes

Whenever I see that Rossetti my eyes immediately go to the 'block' that makes up the head tube. If I could get past that I'd be good with it.

I agree with you on the Look. I think I'll start hunting down a frame like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.