Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 08:21 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
This morning: Big patches of ice, everywhere. This afternoon: Perfect, but lots of grit from sanded roads.

Looks like it will be this way for at least a week. Whatever snow melt runs into the street during the day will freeze at night. It's probably the first time this winter that I've really needed the studs to control the bike on ice.
Old 03-10-15, 04:45 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
First commute since last October... little chilly starting out and too hot at arrival! Replaced the old Huffy with a Specialized Hardrock. Wow what a difference. Did ride the old bike 850 miles last year.. with this much lighter bike should be able to double it!
Old 03-10-15, 06:23 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
A bit of headwind on the way home last night. Just enough to make certain parts a struggle.

I added a couple of miles to bring this mornings ride up to 14 miles. The MUP detour I take was pleasantly clear this morning. Last week it had quite a few broken branches and gum balls scattered about. Today, nada.

The forecast rain is so far a bust for us, but we are under heavy cloud cover so it could start at any time. 52F rising to 70+ today.
Old 03-10-15, 06:29 AM
CJ Str3tch

Bikes: GIANT Defy Advance Pro 1, Giant ToughRoad SL1,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gresp15C, I hear you. This morning almost lost it twice on small patches of black ice, until finally a big, unavoidable one took me out. A bruised elbow, hip and (mostly) ego. I was not prepared for that or the thick dense fog that was around this morning. I guess I will be more careful in the mornings. I have a painful elbow to remind me of that.
Old 03-10-15, 07:59 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little bit of ice on the edge of the road this morning, but I was able to avoid it. Felt colder than yesterday, but that could be because my new rain pants were letting in all of the cold air. I can't believe they're waterproof, but we'll find out on the ride home. We're supposed to get 1/4" of rain in two hours, so it will be heavy.
Old 03-10-15, 08:19 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this AM: perfect weather, but trucks/cars/cops parked in bike lanes (the same thing everyday) and less mud. it's nice that the bike lanes get plowed anytime there's snowfall. have to give NYC props for that. first winter that I've commuted by cycling (usually it's just spring and fall.)

wore two layers on top, a base and a fleece hoodie.
one layer on bottom, fleece pant
wool socks
trainers on feet
helmet on head
knit gloves

bonus: no face mask, no scarf or handkerchief needed, no second pant or glove layer needed! was comfortable.
Old 03-10-15, 08:33 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Ditto! It's dark again, lots of thawing snow over the weekend and sub freezing temps overnight. While I didn't ride my 700x28 bike I did ride my new bike (700x37's) instead of studly tired bike and the patches of ice were definitely sphincter factor 10. I'll take the 30F+ temps though.
Sphincter factor was down to 7 today, the frequency and duration of puckers were down, still patches of re-freeze, just not as bad!

Today's headed past 60F! Plan to hit the store on the way home for some burgers to throw on the grill!
Old 03-10-15, 08:48 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
39F and steady rain. There was that eery fog that happens when it warms up, is raining, and still lots of piled snow around - makes headlight look light a light saber. See what you California guys are missing
Old 03-10-15, 09:10 AM
New_IA_Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First-ever commute today! Hands were cold in my thin gloves (34*), but other than that it was really nice. I saw 3 other cyclists on the way. Can't wait till the workday is over, it's going to be in the 60s for the ride home.
Old 03-10-15, 09:46 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by New_IA_Rider
First-ever commute today! Hands were cold in my thin gloves (34*), but other than that it was really nice. I saw 3 other cyclists on the way. Can't wait till the workday is over, it's going to be in the 60s for the ride home.
That is great to hear. We all had one of those. Great for you braving winterto start what we hope is your new addiction. We look forward to hearing more as you progress.

Originally Posted by mgw4jc
and gum balls scattered about. Today, nada.
What are gum balls?

I had movement yesterday! The doctors cleared my new graft site, it is still healing but they think it is fine. I also got clearance to bear weight on my right leg and slightly (30%) on my left leg.

Since the plastics team cleared me that meant I got to get shipped by medical transfer (van equipped like an ambulance) to a transitional care unit. Which mean I am temporarily, until I can bear weight fully on both legs which is four to six weeks for the left leg, in a unit at another hospital in town with geriatric patients. I am here until I can get to the rehab intensive facility in a month I hope.

I am likely the youngest patient here and even a nurse said I would find this environment tough. I am a lot farther away from my family, which is disappointing. Also my previous hospital was centrally located for friends to visit. So I'm worried about less frequent visits and getting depressed as a result.

A nurse just asked the patient across from me if she wanted a bib and if her teeth were in. Sad face.
Old 03-10-15, 10:01 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
That is great to hear. We all had one of those. Great for you braving winterto start what we hope is your new addiction. We look forward to hearing more as you progress.

What are gum balls?

I had movement yesterday! The doctors cleared my new graft site, it is still healing but they think it is fine. I also got clearance to bear weight on my right leg and slightly (30%) on my left leg.

Since the plastics team cleared me that meant I got to get shipped by medical transfer (van equipped like an ambulance) to a transitional care unit. Which mean I am temporarily, until I can bear weight fully on both legs which is four to six weeks for the left leg, in a unit at another hospital in town with geriatric patients. I am here until I can get to the rehab intensive facility in a month I hope.

I am likely the youngest patient here and even a nurse said I would find this environment tough. I am a lot farther away from my family, which is disappointing. Also my previous hospital was centrally located for friends to visit. So I'm worried about less frequent visits and getting depressed as a result.

A nurse just asked the patient across from me if she wanted a bib and if her teeth were in. Sad face.
I am sure that making good progress will help you keep a positive outlook, and it sounds like you're doing well. The big question, when can you get back on the bike and how do you feel about that?
Old 03-10-15, 10:16 AM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by New_IA_Rider
Congrats on your first commute!! Lots of great people here, so stick around, and we'll keep you motivated!
Old 03-10-15, 10:22 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First bike ride since feb. 18th. Winter as been tough so far: a lot of snow, Wind, ice, there's one or two morning I could've ride but failed to do so mainly because of very very strong winds.
Any way this morning felt great and the sunrise was beautiful, here's a pic, (I hope the link work)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Last edited by dramiscram; 03-10-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-10-15, 10:23 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
What are gum balls?
From the sweetgum tree. Evidently primarily in the South East of the states.
Liquidambar styraciflua - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the things that are on the ground that we call "gum balls." They're about the size of a ping-pong ball.
Attached Images
Old 03-10-15, 10:27 AM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I had an awesome ride in today- it started out clear and crisp, and ended damp and foggy. I've been running 26x2.0 Marathon Supremes on my LHT for a long time, and while I love them, I was dying to try a set of 26x1.6's. I scooped up a set and put them on last night; wow did I feel fast today! lol.....

And for our good friend, and fellow commuter @joeyduck - I promised you pics from the weekend to give you something to look at other than a building out of your hospital room window, so here you go.....we'll call this "I took the long way home Sunday"

I jumped on the Santa Ana River Trail for the ride home, after spinning up PCH and enjoying some lunch with a few fellow commuters. Enjoy the sunshine!
Old 03-10-15, 10:32 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I am sure that making good progress will help you keep a positive outlook, and it sounds like you're doing well. The big question, when can you get back on the bike and how do you feel about that?
Thanks. I'm not yet sure whe I can get on the bike, a bike. I have not seen my bike yet, it is still at the police station.
Old 03-10-15, 10:38 AM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
From the sweetgum tree. Evidently primarily in the South East of the states.
Liquidambar styraciflua - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the things that are on the ground that we call "gum balls." They're about the size of a ping-pong ball.

Okay, no I have never see those before. We have horse chestnut trees that drop very similar things as the gum ball. They can be a chore to ride around or over especially with skinny tires.

Aesculus hippocastanum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-10-15, 10:42 AM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bconneraz
I had an awesome ride in today- it started out clear and crisp, and ended damp and foggy. I've been running 26x2.0 Marathon Supremes on my LHT for a long time, and while I love them, I was dying to try a set of 26x1.6's. I scooped up a set and put them on last night; wow did I feel fast today! lol.....

And for our good friend, and fellow commuter @joeyduck - I promised you pics from the weekend to give you something to look at other than a building out of your hospital room window, so here you go.....we'll call this "I took the long way home Sunday"

I jumped on the Santa Ana River Trail for the ride home, after spinning up PCH and enjoying some lunch with a few fellow commuters. Enjoy the sunshine!
Thanks! Those are some nice photos and perfectly timed since I'm now in a corner with no outside view. I'll wait for physio to get me up and in a wheel chair so I can get a view.
Old 03-10-15, 10:47 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Something weird yesterday morning: I was approaching a bike traffic circle where 2 trails intersect and at the offramp to my left was some weird peloton/clown car/shriner parade/roadrage/traffic jam thing of 6 bikes, one of which was a tadpole trike; they went in both directions around the circle, and one guy split the lane between me and the trike as we went past each other to get past him, and I caught my breath from that only to realize that some of the other people were taking multiple laps around the traffic circle but anyway I got through w/ no contact and they all went back down the direction I had come from.

Today, pretty uneventful. Foggy.
Old 03-10-15, 11:39 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
41 degrees but dry. I'd say dark as I leave the house at 5:00 am, but the moon was pretty big up in the middle of the sky. I like riding by moon light. It should be light all the way home as I should get home by sundown (7:13 or so) tonight. I remember my commute route being pretty, so it will be nice to see if it still is.

Only two vehicles passed me in 9 miles, not too bad.
Old 03-10-15, 01:04 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@joeyduck - at least you're making progress! Old people can be fun. Lots of stories to tell.
Old 03-10-15, 02:07 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
@joeyduck - at least you're making progress! Old people can be fun. Lots of stories to tell.

I know it is progress. The whole environment is slow and quite, it is a bit depressing and not inspiring. Of my three roommates two don't seem to speak any English, which is really the only language I know. As I get more mobile I'll get to see more people. But for not I'm confined to the bed until the physical therapist comes around to help get me out of bed.

But my mother in law has come down and is playing cribbage with me.
Old 03-10-15, 03:01 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@joeyduck 100% in one leg, and 30% in the other? Heck, my wife supplies less power than that on the tandem on a good day. (in case she ever reads this: just kidding) I'd say "good to go." I remember Rick Hansen saying that being in the mostly-seniors rehab facility was the opposite--it was insanely motivating. It's very possible that it was the exact same facility you are in right now. (For all you non-canadians: he later wheelchaired his ass around the world.)

I had the day off yesterday. Even better than a commute:

Old 03-10-15, 03:09 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
38f/3c this morning. This was the first morning ride above freezing in over a month. The aftn was pouring rain and 47f/8c.
Old 03-10-15, 03:36 PM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hang in there @joeyduck!

Weather is supposed to be nice in KC the rest of the week. Hoping I can commute Wed-Fri!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.