Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ugh! Laundry Disaster.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ugh! Laundry Disaster.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 06:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
Originally Posted by JPChap
Jerseys hit the washing machine/air dry. Bibs get worn into the shower post ride and air dried afterward.
That's what I do. Works great.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-06-20, 08:45 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
That's what I do. Works great.

I did that, but the shorts weren't getting quite clean enough, despite my modest standards.

Now it all goes in the machine.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 04-06-20, 09:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I usually hand wash my kit after every ride, often in a 5-gallon bucket. Then hang over the tub to air dry with a small fan blowing.

If I let my funky bike kit laundry pile up for a week I'll tote it to the laundromat where they have all commercial quality front loaders with genuine gentle cycles, and dryers with proper low or no-heat dryers.

Our apartment complex has laundry rooms but they're all top load machines, and those plastic agitators with sharp edges will wear out any delicate fabrics quickly. The front loaders use metal agitators with gently rounded edges and the delicate cycle is very easy on pricey bike kit or women's fancy duds.

But stuff with straps does need to go into mesh laundry bags.
Old 04-06-20, 10:51 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
I was very lucky that I noticed the OP's bib strap issue early in my use of bibs in a mild state - it was not nearly as tangled as the OP photo. But enough for me to realize that it would either damage the bibs, or at best, be a hassle to untangle. I've been using laundry wash bags for years to wash velcro stuff so they don't stick to the other clothes, and anything with dangly bits like my wife's and daughters' foundation garments. 8-). So we had some on hand and it was obvious to use them.

Live and learn. Not a reason to avoid using a washing machine for bibs, but a good reason to have some mesh laundry bags on hand. They can be picked up in any big box store like Target, Fred Meyer, etc.

Other than that, our old-school, full size agitator top loading washing machine does not harm cycling or other technical fabric clothes one bit. Can't imagine treating them any more special than using laundry bags when necessary.

As far as ruined straps, if they're worth the expense, I'll bet you can find similar stretchy fabric at a fabric store and either muddle through sewing them yourself, or have a sewing shop fix them for you. I've had some repairs done on technical garments, the type material is not all that rare.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-06-20 at 10:56 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-07-20, 03:05 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
We have a washer without an agitator and have never had a problem with bibs getting tangled up in my other cycling clothes. Maybe I've just been lucky.