Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New project! 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New project! 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-17, 10:17 AM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 39 Posts
Well it appears my Superbe Tech RD already bit the dust I was working on disassembling the bike last night and as I was moving the bike around I happened to kick the pedal back to change the position of the crank arm that was in my way, and suddenly the RD lost spring tension... I know most people would recommend swapping to something more reliable, but I'd like to try to fix it anyway. I guess my next job will be scouring the internet for any information I can find on repairing it.
Old 10-27-17, 11:34 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Bum...mer! Hope you make it happen.
Old 10-27-17, 11:54 AM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Opened it up to find this return spring broken completely in two, and fractured in many other places... Anyone know if these are available anywhere, or know of any cheap and plentiful derailleurs with a similar type spring off the top of their heads?

Old 10-27-17, 04:54 PM
9volt 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
The Mountech is similar. They also break a lot so it may be relatively easy to find one to scavenge for parts.
Old 10-27-17, 09:35 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
It seems that these are likely to break in a multitude of ways...

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/SunTour_Superbe_Tech_GTL_derailleur_5400.html
Old 10-28-17, 05:28 PM
9volt 

Tonight I discovered one of my Mountechs may be dead. Different failure than yours so that return spring may be ok. Still need one?
Old 10-29-17, 12:00 AM
AustinFitz

Originally Posted by 9volt
Tonight I discovered one of my Mountechs may be dead. Different failure than yours so that return spring may be ok. Still need one?
I sure do! I've been searching eBay for a cheap parts derailleur, but I'm pretty tight on cash right now, and haven't yet found one for a decent price.
Old 10-29-17, 07:05 AM
9volt 

Here's the inside of the Mountech. The spring looks similar. PM if you'd like some or all of it.

Old 11-04-17, 12:43 PM
AustinFitz

Success!!! Thanks to @9volt sending me a replacement spring from his Mountech, the original Superbe Tech is back in full working order!

It still needs to be cleaned, de-rusted, and polished along with the rest of the bike, but I didn't want to go any further with it until I knew for sure I could get it working again.

Old 11-04-17, 01:02 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Wow, are those spokes that rusty?

Glad you were able to make the DR happen!
Old 11-04-17, 01:07 PM
AustinFitz

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Wow, are those spokes that rusty?

Glad you were able to make the DR happen!
Yeah, unfortunately the spokes are indeed THAT rusty lol. That's probably the worst part of the whole bike. No hope in cleaning them up. They'll have to be replaced for sure!

Old 11-04-17, 04:06 PM
9volt 

Awesome! Glad it worked and it's good to know those parts are compatible.
Old 11-04-17, 04:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Take that derailleur apart every year and lubricate the spring so it doesn't rust and break.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-04-17, 06:13 PM
AustinFitz

That's a good idea. I made sure to clean out all of the old grease and dirt from the housing and spring with some alcohol, then slathered everything with a coat of fresh marine grease before reassembling.
Old 11-05-17, 09:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
That's another good idea.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-05-17, 11:27 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by 9volt
Tonight I discovered one of my Mountechs may be dead.
Now, I'm about as much of a Suntour fanboy as there is... but "one of my Mountechs..."

I'm just shocked anyone would use these on a bike they'd actually ride. There's just dozens of outrageously cool derailleurs out there to dick with one that has propensities for blowing up in more ways than one.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-05-17, 03:05 PM
9volt 

They mainly live on projects or in the parts bin. This spring was from a wonky Mountech that came with a Trek 830 that I started working on recently.
Old 11-06-17, 08:42 AM
AustinFitz

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Now, I'm about as much of a Suntour fanboy as there is... but "one of my Mountechs..."

I'm just shocked anyone would use these on a bike they'd actually ride. There's just dozens of outrageously cool derailleurs out there to dick with one that has propensities for blowing up in more ways than one.
Well I guess I like to live dangerously, but I run a Mountech RD on my most ridden bike! I've been using it for about a year now with no problems whatsoever. I don't really ride it in the rain or off-road though, so it stays pretty clean.

I think a lot of the Mountech's bad rep comes from the fact that it was marketed as a MTB derailleur, and dirt seems to be the main cause of failure... They may not have seen so many failure claims had it been marketed as more of a road touring derailleur.

I may upgrade mine in the future, but for now it doesn't bother me. It's funny to see people react to it like I'm riding with an atom bomb strapped to my bike

Old 11-06-17, 09:30 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Originally Posted by AustinFitz
Well I guess I like to live dangerously, but I run a Mountech RD on my most ridden bike! I've been using it for about a year now with no problems whatsoever. I don't really ride it in the rain or off-road though, so it stays pretty clean.

I think a lot of the Mountech's bad rep comes from the fact that it was marketed as a MTB derailleur, and dirt seems to be the main cause of failure... They may not have seen so many failure claims had it been marketed as more of a road touring derailleur.

I may upgrade mine in the future, but for now it doesn't bother me. It's funny to see people react to it like I'm riding with an atom bomb strapped to my bike

Oh, I like the little gizmo-y things... but that stops when it comes to my derailleur deciding to throw itself into the spokes through no fault of my own, when it's 5, 10, 20, 150 or however many miles from home.

I've thrown a derailleur into my spokes through faults of my own... I ONLY had to walk only a mile home carrying the rear end of the bike, and that sucked. Plenty of time for me to rationalize my poor decision making...

I think Suntour tried to get way too cute with it. You want a Suntour triple pivot that won't blow up on you? Try LeTech. Or better yet, a 2nd generation Mountech with the 13T pulley instead of the enclosed blowey-uppy-pulley. Just as cool, probably more rare and that bigazz pulley is pretty cool.

But even WAYYYYY BETTER- a Cyclone MII GT or an XC Comp or XC Pro... no useless 3rd pivot and a well proven record of reliability, rugged good looks and badassery... sounds like I'm talking about a lumberjack or something...

But for unique and badass and working well... Any of the Suntour triple pulley derailleurs are fantastic.

You may notice most of these derailleurs are on one bike- I've swapped out the derailleur on my 720 bunches of times, I've used XTR, XT, Duopar, Cyclone, Cyclone MII, XC Pro, XC Comp, LeTech, XC, and now Dura Ace on this bike. Maybe I'm even missing a few.

If I wasn't going with a 10 speed indexing system, I would have probably kept the triple pulley Suntour XC on there. It shifted as nicely as anything- I would say it was a tie between the Duopar and the XC triple pulley- and the triple pulley never hosed on me like the Duopar did. I did up the lower 2 pulleys with red Bullseyes and the jockey pulley as a "titanium" colored Bullseye- that was badass.

My Stumpjumper came to me with an M735 XT RD and an LX/Weinmann rear wheel, and the stock front wheel. The stock RD would have been an 1st gen Mountech. It doesn't take much to tell me that RD blew up sometime in the early 90s and the whole rear wheel needed to be replaced. The original owner of that bike told me that was his commuter. It wasn't a dirt bike, that was his "ride over the Golden Gate Bridge on his way to work 5 days a week" bike.

Yeah it's cute to have a death defying derailleur on there. Yeah, it's cute to say you taunt fate instead of tempting it. While the bike is a whole lot for lookin' good, it's more for riding. But you're not riding and you're not looking good with your RD tucked into your spokes and cussing out words sailors don't even know.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-06-17, 10:53 PM
AustinFitz

Oh, I like the little gizmo-y things... but that stops when it comes to my derailleur deciding to throw itself into the spokes through no fault of my own, when it's 5, 10, 20, 150 or however many miles from home.

I've thrown a derailleur into my spokes through faults of my own... I ONLY had to walk only a mile home carrying the rear end of the bike, and that sucked. Plenty of time for me to rationalize my poor decision making...

I think Suntour tried to get way too cute with it. You want a Suntour triple pivot that won't blow up on you? Try LeTech. Or better yet, a 2nd generation Mountech with the 13T pulley instead of the enclosed blowey-uppy-pulley. Just as cool, probably more rare and that bigazz pulley is pretty cool.

But even WAYYYYY BETTER- a Cyclone MII GT or an XC Comp or XC Pro... no useless 3rd pivot and a well proven record of reliability, rugged good looks and badassery... sounds like I'm talking about a lumberjack or something...

But for unique and badass and working well... Any of the Suntour triple pulley derailleurs are fantastic.

You may notice most of these derailleurs are on one bike- I've swapped out the derailleur on my 720 bunches of times, I've used XTR, XT, Duopar, Cyclone, Cyclone MII, XC Pro, XC Comp, LeTech, XC, and now Dura Ace on this bike. Maybe I'm even missing a few.

If I wasn't going with a 10 speed indexing system, I would have probably kept the triple pulley Suntour XC on there. It shifted as nicely as anything- I would say it was a tie between the Duopar and the XC triple pulley- and the triple pulley never hosed on me like the Duopar did. I did up the lower 2 pulleys with red Bullseyes and the jockey pulley as a "titanium" colored Bullseye- that was badass.

My Stumpjumper came to me with an M735 XT RD and an LX/Weinmann rear wheel, and the stock front wheel. The stock RD would have been an 1st gen Mountech. It doesn't take much to tell me that RD blew up sometime in the early 90s and the whole rear wheel needed to be replaced. The original owner of that bike told me that was his commuter. It wasn't a dirt bike, that was his "ride over the Golden Gate Bridge on his way to work 5 days a week" bike.

Yeah it's cute to have a death defying derailleur on there. Yeah, it's cute to say you taunt fate instead of tempting it. While the bike is a whole lot for lookin' good, it's more for riding. But you're not riding and you're not looking good with your RD tucked into your spokes and cussing out words sailors don't even know.
I'm well aware of the potential dangers of using the Mountech, and familiar with all of the better performing, mouth watering alternatives from SunTour. As I said, I'll probably upgrade it in the future. "I like to live dangerously" was a joke... I'm not using the Mountech to be "cute" or dangerous. It was simply the derailleur that came on the bike, and since it seemed to be fully functioning changing it out wasn't the first thing on my to-do list... I would absolutely LOVE to swap it out with a LeTech, second gen Mountech, or any of the 3 pulley versions!!! I'm also a big fan of the Cyclones and all of the GT series!

I'll eventually get around to finding one of those, but at the moment money is too tight for me to be shopping for derailleurs any time soon
Old 11-07-17, 06:38 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

I'm well aware of the potential dangers of using the Mountech, and familiar with all of the better performing, mouth watering alternatives from SunTour. As I said, I'll probably upgrade it in the future. "I like to live dangerously" was a joke... I'm not using the Mountech to be "cute" or dangerous. It was simply the derailleur that came on the bike, and since it seemed to be fully functioning changing it out wasn't the first thing on my to-do list... I would absolutely LOVE to swap it out with a LeTech, second gen Mountech, or any of the 3 pulley versions!!! I'm also a big fan of the Cyclones and all of the GT series!

I'll eventually get around to finding one of those, but at the moment money is too tight for me to be shopping for derailleurs any time soon
Dig.

There's so much fun in playing with different derailleurs- I *do* do it to be cute. Or at least playful with it. I do think the oddball stuff is cool- ESPECIALLY when it works great. I love nifty, pretty and/or rare parts- but not at the expense of really harming performance or reliability.

Hearing the "plunk" of the derailleur cage going into the spokes is something I hope you never have to hear.

Your DB is a really cool bike, and your Centurion is outrageously classy beautiful.
Old 11-07-17, 07:45 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Just so you know, I saw that you cleaned the derailleur with alcohol--alcohol is a polar solvent...and in the case of grease is almost exactly the wrong alignment. You'll have an easier time cleaning thoroughly (and not going crazy trying to remove every last bit) using odorless mineral spirits (the real VOC stuff). Any small amount that remains will slightly thin whatever lubricant you put in there.

Super heavy soil on parts can be dealt with with kerosene, but for obvious reasons, it shouldn't be used regularly when other chemicals suffice.

(Fun fact: diesel fuel/kerosene are the preferred cleaning solutions for internally geared hubs/coaster brakes, as the residue left in them doesn't need to be cleaned off before relubrication/reassembly.)
Old 11-07-17, 08:29 AM
AustinFitz

Dig.

There's so much fun in playing with different derailleurs- I *do* do it to be cute. Or at least playful with it. I do think the oddball stuff is cool- ESPECIALLY when it works great. I love nifty, pretty and/or rare parts- but not at the expense of really harming performance or reliability.

Hearing the "plunk" of the derailleur cage going into the spokes is something I hope you never have to hear.

Your DB is a really cool bike, and your Centurion is outrageously classy beautiful.
Thank you! After re-reading my previous comment I want to apologize for coming off so defensively. Being such a big fan of SunTour I guess I have a hard time accepting that the Mountech could indeed be THAT bad lol. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that it's really not worth betting my original 40 spoke rear wheel on.

I'm still undecided on a replacement, but I do really enjoy the oddball stuff, so whatever it is will have to be at least somewhat different and interesting. It will almost certainly be SunTour though.

I've often thought about going with the LeTech since it's what would have come on the next model up from my Elite GT, but then I think if if going to swap the RD I might as well try to get away from the unnecessary 3 pivot design too while I'm at it. I've got plenty of time to think about it before I'll be able to afford buying anything though
Old 11-07-17, 08:39 AM
AustinFitz

Originally Posted by wschruba
Just so you know, I saw that you cleaned the derailleur with alcohol--alcohol is a polar solvent...and in the case of grease is almost exactly the wrong alignment. You'll have an easier time cleaning thoroughly (and not going crazy trying to remove every last bit) using odorless mineral spirits (the real VOC stuff). Any small amount that remains will slightly thin whatever lubricant you put in there.

Super heavy soil on parts can be dealt with with kerosene, but for obvious reasons, it shouldn't be used regularly when other chemicals suffice.

(Fun fact: diesel fuel/kerosene are the preferred cleaning solutions for internally geared hubs/coaster brakes, as the residue left in them doesn't need to be cleaned off before relubrication/reassembly.)
Thanks for the tip. I don't normally use alcohol when cleaning parts, and I didn't use it to clean that whole derailleur. Just used a couple of drops to clean off that one spring and housing because it was already on hand where I was in the kitchen at the time. Normally I go out to my shed and use mineral spirits.

I also made sure to set the parts out to dry for a while after doing that just to make sure any leftover alcohol had evaporated off. Everything was bone dry before I re-greased and assembled it.
Old 11-07-17, 01:51 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Thank you! After re-reading my previous comment I want to apologize for coming off so defensively. Being such a big fan of SunTour I guess I have a hard time accepting that the Mountech could indeed be THAT bad lol. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that it's really not worth betting my original 40 spoke rear wheel on.

I'm still undecided on a replacement, but I do really enjoy the oddball stuff, so whatever it is will have to be at least somewhat different and interesting. It will almost certainly be SunTour though.

I've often thought about going with the LeTech since it's what would have come on the next model up from my Elite GT, but then I think if if going to swap the RD I might as well try to get away from the unnecessary 3 pivot design too while I'm at it. I've got plenty of time to think about it before I'll be able to afford buying anything though
I'm the one who's coming across like a dick- and I've re-written each of those posts over again to try not to sound like a dick... and then I read it after I post and roll my eyes at myself.

So much most everything Suntour did was so cool. No shifting solution is as cool as Command Shifters. The quality of the XC Pro stuff is so much nicer than XT or XTR. I can't find my chain takeup pix I did when I fell in love with my XC 3 pulley- it's ridiculous how much chain that elbow takes up. But the "tech" RDs are solutions to problems that didn't exist. Complicated for the sake of being complicated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.