Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's the best protection from punctures?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's the best protection from punctures?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 11:07 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I don't know about Nevada, but I find the more flat-resistant Schwalbes are pretty good in Ohio: I can't remember when I've last had a flat, but it's been probably at least three or four years. I think they bill the marathon plus as "unflattable."
Likes For storckm:
Old 10-07-23, 10:05 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 307 Posts
So back on topic. I did some shopping today and I think I'm going with some Schwalbe Durano Plus tires as they are advertised to be highly puncture resistant.

And then I had a thought. The other day I picked up a thorn in my back tire, which flattened the tire (yet again). The difference, though, was being on the back, the flat posed much less risk of a fall and injury. So I was thinking, why not buy a pair of these tires and just run the Schwalbes on the front of two bikes and a standard tire on the back? Some people have mentioned these harder tires increase rolling resistance and take more effort. Well, if I only run one on the front, I get the benefit of more puncture resistance on the tire that's most likely to take me down. But I also get the benefit of only half the increased rolling resistance.

It may sound convoluted, I know, but really, what do I have to lose?
Old 10-08-23, 08:20 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
So back on topic. I did some shopping today and I think I'm going with some Schwalbe Durano Plus tires as they are advertised to be highly puncture resistant.

And then I had a thought. The other day I picked up a thorn in my back tire, which flattened the tire (yet again). The difference, though, was being on the back, the flat posed much less risk of a fall and injury. So I was thinking, why not buy a pair of these tires and just run the Schwalbes on the front of two bikes and a standard tire on the back? Some people have mentioned these harder tires increase rolling resistance and take more effort. Well, if I only run one on the front, I get the benefit of more puncture resistance on the tire that's most likely to take me down. But I also get the benefit of only half the increased rolling resistance.

It may sound convoluted, I know, but really, what do I have to lose?
You have to be wary of bike frame compression. If the front of the bike is always slower rolling than the back, you can experience buckling of the frame after awhile

You could jump on this kickstarter campaign:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...asa-technology
Old 10-08-23, 09:01 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3982 Post(s)
Liked 7,433 Times in 2,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You have to be wary of bike frame compression. If the front of the bike is always slower rolling than the back, you can experience buckling of the frame after awhile
If you switched the tires, the bike would elongate and you'd get to your destination sooner.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-08-23, 02:47 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,051 Posts

And then I had a thought. ... It may sound convoluted, I know, but really, what do I have to lose?
I read your post here, then your other post about being passed by "some guy ... like he's on his way to grandma's house for Sunday brunch."

Bike Forums - View Single Post - I am not as strong as I want to believe.

I cannot help but think that you cannot have your cake and eat it too; fast(er) almost always comes at a cost.
Old 10-08-23, 03:27 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,324 Times in 1,123 Posts
So I was thinking, why not buy a pair of these tires and just run the Schwalbes on the front of two bikes and a standard tire on the back?
This will not solve your flatting issue. Just lessen it on one tire. Besides, I can't stand mismatched wheels and tires.

Old 10-08-23, 04:24 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 1,190 Times in 692 Posts
i think your idea will work. just try it. if it feels wonky after a while just match up the tires on the two bikes you experiment with. no harm in trying.

but, if you are flatting so often then you really might want ot consider the tubeless route. i am not considering it for my self, have had about 6t flats this year. some years none but this year is a banner year. maybe next hear there won't be any, who knows.

if you do nothing at least pay attention to the front tire or try what one poster suggested to ride with a purposely flat tire to get the feel for it. no need to wipe out due to ignorance.
Old 10-08-23, 04:44 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 378 Posts
This will sound harsh, but I think you need to work on situational awareness and bike handling skills, more than obtaining a more flat resistant tire. A sudden flat can certainly lead to a crash, even for the best bike handler, but multiple crashes from slowly deflating tires in a short period suggests other problems.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 10-12-23, 12:46 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by spelger
i think your idea will work. just try it. if it feels wonky after a while just match up the tires on the two bikes you experiment with. no harm in trying.

but, if you are flatting so often then you really might want ot consider the tubeless route. i am not considering it for my self, have had about 6t flats this year. some years none but this year is a banner year. maybe next hear there won't be any, who knows.

if you do nothing at least pay attention to the front tire or try what one poster suggested to ride with a purposely flat tire to get the feel for it. no need to wipe out due to ignorance.
That's what I was thinking. I realize I'll still be at risk of flat, particularly in the back. But I don't feel rear flats are quite as risky of a tumble as the front. I may go tubeless at some point but I will probably end up buying a wheel set that is tubeless ready instead of trying to convert the older wheels I'm currently running.
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
This will sound harsh, but I think you need to work on situational awareness and bike handling skills, more than obtaining a more flat resistant tire. A sudden flat can certainly lead to a crash, even for the best bike handler, but multiple crashes from slowly deflating tires in a short period suggests other problems.
No offense taken. I can be honest and say I've really had a hard time identifying the difference between a tire that's fully inflated and one that's flat. To me, they feel far too similar. Fully inflated and I hit a rock, it feels like the whole wheel jumps (happened to me earlier today). When a tire is flat, I feel every rock on the road.

Going back to the event that prompted this thread, I was on an uncommonly smooth section of road (for here) and the only reason I realized my rear tire was flat was because it slowed me down so much. I had been maintaining a 17-18mph pace and all of a sudden I'm working just to keep it over 14. I knew something wasn't right, but I didn't feel the tire.

Maybe my arse is as tone deaf as my hearing.
Old 10-12-23, 02:44 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 339 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I realize I'll still be at risk of flat, particularly in the back. But I don't feel rear flats are quite as risky of a tumble as the front. I may go tubeless at some point but I will probably end up buying a wheel set that is tubeless ready instead of trying to convert the older wheels I'm currently running.

No offense taken. I can be honest and say I've really had a hard time identifying the difference between a tire that's fully inflated and one that's flat. To me, they feel far too similar. Fully inflated and I hit a rock, it feels like the whole wheel jumps (happened to me earlier today). When a tire is flat, I feel every rock on the road.

Going back to the event that prompted this thread, I was on an uncommonly smooth section of road (for here) and the only reason I realized my rear tire was flat was because it slowed me down so much. I had been maintaining a 17-18mph pace and all of a sudden I'm working just to keep it over 14. I knew something wasn't right, but I didn't feel the tire.

You’ll probably get more familiar with it but there’s a definite difference in dynamics as a rear tyre softens. You bounce in the saddle more like on a car with too soft suspension.
Old 10-12-23, 09:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,832 Posts
I can be honest and say I've really had a hard time identifying the difference between a tire that's fully inflated and one that's flat. To me, they feel far too similar. Fully inflated and I hit a rock, it feels like the whole wheel jumps (happened to me earlier today). When a tire is flat, I feel every rock on the road.

Well, if you really want to know when a tire is losing pressure, there is tech that will give you the answer. At a price.

DC Rainmaker - Hands-on: Quarq TyreWiz Cycling Pressure Sensor

Old 10-12-23, 01:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

... I was on an uncommonly smooth section of road (for here) and the only reason I realized my rear tire was flat was because it slowed me down so much. I had been maintaining a 17-18mph pace and all of a sudden I'm working just to keep it over 14. I knew something wasn't right, but I didn't feel the tire.

Or maybe your saddle is too squishy?

But seriously, it should be possible to take an occasional glance at the tires? Especially the front, but also the back.
Old 10-12-23, 04:31 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Well, if you really want to know when a tire is losing pressure, there is tech that will give you the answer. At a price.

DC Rainmaker - Hands-on: Quarq TyreWiz Cycling Pressure Sensor
I have seen that and I am very seriously considering.
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Or maybe your saddle is too squishy?

But seriously, it should be possible to take an occasional glance at the tires? Especially the front, but also the back.
I've had so many tumbles due to low/flat tires, that I'm constantly peeking at them. I've only had a couple of tumbles that weren't directly tire related.
Old 10-12-23, 05:01 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4496 Post(s)
Liked 4,973 Times in 3,074 Posts

I've had so many tumbles due to low/flat tires, that I'm constantly peeking at them. I've only had a couple of tumbles that weren't directly tire related.
If I was falling off my bike as many times as it sounds like you have then I would absolutely invest in a proper tubeless setup. I’ve been running road tubeless since 2019 and have not had a single flat since. On tubed tyres I would typically get up to a dozen flats per year, although I don’t recall any of them causing a crash!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-12-23, 08:48 PM
VegasJen

I may be overstating things a bit. I've had a few tumbles, but it's not like a weekly thing. I had two so far this year directly due to flats. And maybe two or three total in the five years prior. It's just that flats have caused the majority of crashes since I seriously got back into riding.

As for tubeless. I'm not saying no just yet, but a more economical option might be the tire pressure monitor linked above.
Old 10-12-23, 11:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked 5,757 Times in 2,964 Posts
The best protection is staying home. Just sayin’

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-13-23, 09:19 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 2,655 Times in 1,249 Posts
I may be overstating things a bit. I've had a few tumbles, but it's not like a weekly thing. I had two so far this year directly due to flats. And maybe two or three total in the five years prior. It's just that flats have caused the majority of crashes since I seriously got back into riding.

As for tubeless. I'm not saying no just yet, but a more economical option might be the tire pressure monitor linked above.
You can get a floor pump with a gauge and pump up to the suggested psi every time you ride. That way you can monitor if a tire has a leak. You should also be able to tell if the road feel changes.
Old 10-13-23, 07:56 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by curbtender
You can get a floor pump with a gauge and pump up to the suggested psi every time you ride. That way you can monitor if a tire has a leak. You should also be able to tell if the road feel changes.
I have a small 120v electric compressor. I generally run that up until the gauge reads 90-100 pounds and that's what I use to inflate the tires. I have to admit, though, I'm not really good about doing this every single time. Like this week, I checked the pressure before my ride on Wednesday, but before I rode today, I just gave the tires a squeeze to see if they felt soft.

Yes, I am admitting that I am part of the problem.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 10-13-23, 09:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I have a small 120v electric compressor. I generally run that up until the gauge reads 90-100 pounds and that's what I use to inflate the tires. I have to admit, though, I'm not really good about doing this every single time. Like this week, I checked the pressure before my ride on Wednesday, but before I rode today, I just gave the tires a squeeze to see if they felt soft.

If you can take the time to train for triathalon, you can take the time to inflate both tires before every ride with a floor pump, which will be much faster (i.e., < 1 min./tire) than the compressor, and cheaper than Quarg Tire Whiz. The additional benefit is that, once you dial in an optimal tire pressure for each tire, you will get used to it, and you can more readily tell if it is low as soon as you ride off.
Old 10-13-23, 09:25 PM
VegasJen

You're probably right but I pretty much suck at things like planning and preparation, that kind of stuff.
Old 10-13-23, 09:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

You're probably right but I pretty much suck at things like planning and preparation, that kind of stuff.
Maybe you do, maybe you don't, but I would assume that even having a chance to finish a triathlon before the organizers pack it up and go home (i.e., what you do) would require more planning than just going for a ride after finishing work ahead of time (i.e.. what I do)?
Old 10-14-23, 03:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4496 Post(s)
Liked 4,973 Times in 3,074 Posts

Since you are running 90-100 psi I presume you are on narrow tyres ie 23-25 mm. Moving to wider tyres 30-32 mm and going tubeless would allow you to run 50-60 psi and you wouldn’t lose any speed. But more importantly in your situation, minor punctures will self seal without much loss in pressure. You won’t even know you had a puncture.

At 50 psi, air leaks out a lot slower with a puncture than it does at 100 psi and there is more volume of air in the tyre. So low pressure, high volume tyres take longer to go flat with a puncture. So you are more likely to notice something is wrong before you crash.

The bad news is that you might need a whole new bike to get enough frame clearance. But it might be worth it in the long run because crashing can potentially get much more expensive than a new bike.
Old 10-14-23, 04:10 AM
AllegroMike

Bikes: 1960 Allegro Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Sometimes an old school tire wiper is the best remedy for puncture protection.

Likes For AllegroMike:
Old 10-14-23, 08:53 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Since you are running 90-100 psi I presume you are on narrow tyres ie 23-25 mm. Moving to wider tyres 30-32 mm and going tubeless would allow you to run 50-60 psi and you wouldn’t lose any speed. But more importantly in your situation, minor punctures will self seal without much loss in pressure. You won’t even know you had a puncture.
If biking fast in a triathlon is the intention, I don't think fat tires are the way. Tri bike frames seem to max out at 28 mm, which seems to be an optimum (at least the manufacturers think so).

Unless you're riding really rough roads, you will be giving up watts with fat tires at low pressure.

Old 10-14-23, 12:56 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 1,123 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
If you can take the time to train for triathalon, you can take the time to inflate both tires before every ride with a floor pump, which will be much faster (i.e., < 1 min./tire) than the compressor, and cheaper than Quarg Tire Whiz. The additional benefit is that, once you dial in an optimal tire pressure for each tire, you will get used to it, and you can more readily tell if it is low as soon as you ride off.

have a number of floor pumps including two Silca pumps and now rarely use them - only use them to inflate a tube when installing a tire

instead now use a battery powered portable inflator

in addition to bikes - use it on our cars, garden tractors, wheelbarrows etc

Last edited by t2p; 10-14-23 at 01:01 PM.
Likes For t2p:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.