Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

LBS charging more than MSRP for parts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS charging more than MSRP for parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 03:13 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 1joel1
The independent auto repair shops have been doing this for a long time. For a water hose, Nissan wanted $17 (generic was $6), they charged me $35. When I mentioned this, they claimed it was the only way to make a profit. I never went back.
I like to have people fix my car who don't have brick and mortar business. Usually much cheaper and much more honest, and your money is not thrown out making some dealer rich (my nissan dealer here in vegas is just AWFUL) . I am sure you could apply the same to bikes. I actually like a place here called mcghie's (not sure if chain or not) that also does rentals and skis a lot but the other stores I've seen are just pure rip off with no value added. I'm sure there's a million people who can fix up a bike and when you give them money directly you know it just goes to their time not to some expensive shop and so on.
Old 05-19-20, 03:56 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Shops, especially if they’re not “authorized” may not get discounts on parts. They buy them from the manufacturer and when they use them the manufacturer replaces them, refreshing the stock. The dealer has the costs for financing, storing and handling the parts. Your shop may be greedy, but they also may be recouping accrued costs.

it is possible the online sources have different arrangements with the manufacturer.

Just guessing based upon past experience.
Old 05-19-20, 08:29 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Cheapness may be ugly to some, but some of us wear frugality as badge. Living below our means assures we'll retire comfortably at an age where we can enjoy it and don't really care if someone thinks we're "cheap". Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly pay the price if the value is there, but in the OP's case it didn't appear there was any added value for the added price.
Newsflash:
Even when you retire comfortably you will continue to be cheap so not sure what your defense was