Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

what makes a bike a "gravel" bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

what makes a bike a "gravel" bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 02:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,499 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

I lost interest in replying to your every reply to me. This is dumb- you dont like the category and many others like the category. You dont like the category because it doesnt meet your standards for what a gravel bike should do. It apparently should handle and ride like a mountain bike.
This picture isnt anything I have ridden, even when I was in Colorado. I rode gravel roads. Its super great that you ride difficult remote paths that may be categorized in some liberal way as roads. When the path is made up of 1 foot wide or wider buried boulders, that isnt a gravel road in my view.

This is the same thing as arguing about the definition of hybrids or gravel bikes, its just a different subject- we are arguing about gravel roads. I look at what you cite as a gravel road and 1- dont recognize that as such and 2- agree that such a path wouldnt be much fun on a gravel bike. Use a fatbike or a mountain bike- either will be more forgiving.
Seriously though, whats the point in all this? I have 0 desire to ride a mountain bike on gravel roads and you have 0 desire to ride a gravel bike on whatever type of road is in that picture. An MTB would be slower and less comfortable for me and a gravel bike would be slower and less comfortable for you. Sounds good to me then that both categories can continue to exist and people can choose the best bike for their needs.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-21-20, 07:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
So, mountain bikes are better than gravel bikes on really rough terrain.

Other than earning top marks in the “Stating the Obvious” category, what is the point here?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-22-20, 04:13 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
It really depends on the skill of the rider...It's also really difficult to interpret what " rough terrain" really means. What's rough to one person, is a walk in a park for another.
Old 08-22-20, 05:57 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It really depends on the skill of the rider...It's also really difficult to interpret what " rough terrain" really means. What's rough to one person, is a walk in a park for another.
It never ceases to amaze me what people will choose to debate and disagree with on Bike Forums.

Old 08-24-20, 11:30 AM
jdfilms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hacked together a "gravel bike" over the last couple of years using a Yeti ARC-X cyclocross frame that was made from 2008-2010. I've been a Yeti fan since I started riding MTB's in the early 90's so that's why I went with that frame.

I inherited my dads Trek road bike about 13 years ago but never rode it. Prior to almost 2 years ago I had only been riding mountain bikes for the last 20 years. In the 90's I rode MTB and road bikes when I was racing MTB's but got tired of riding road... I've been doing allot of riding on the paved river trail near my house so much the last few years a friend suggested I find a Yeti ARC-X cyclocross frame and swap over the parts from the Trek. The Yeti's aren't easy to find but I ended up getting one and built it with all the Trek parts. It worked great until I joined a weekly "gravel" ride that a local brewery does. I quickly found out that the road gearing won't work for the steep dirt sections that are around here even with the 3x10 gearing it had. So I used an old Shimano XT derailleur and bought a XT cassette and the shift spacing worked with he 105 shifter. That was much better. I also bought a set of Paul cantilever brakes from a friend when I first built up the Yeti.

Last year I upgraded the drive train to the new Shimano GRX gravel bike components and went with the 2x11 gearing instead of the 1x11. Overall it works great for all around riding including trails I ride my MTB on and strictly road rides. I'm currently running 700cx40 Maxxis tires. Before that I was using Panaracer Gravel Kings, 42 in the front and 38 in the rear. The only thing I wish the bike had now is disc brakes. But the Paul's work really good for the most part, except on some really steep dirt downhills.

I would post a photo of the bike but I got an error saying I need to make 10 posts before I can.
Old 08-24-20, 12:09 PM
olddcarnutjag

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Asphalt is expensive, pea gravel is cheap. As the world is filling up with “cycling paths” pea gravel is everywhere. A little racer with skinny tires is a crash waiting to happen, but I have seen a Cervello on pea gravel. High end racers are built for speed in the wind, my ultegra brakes need Skinny tires, my touring bike takes cantis, it can wear huge tires
Old 08-25-20, 09:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
There is a country song that states she was country before country was cool.

Being old 82 and living on a farm I was a gravel rider before it was cool!!!

Gravel bikes, kind of fall into my thread about advertising. If a mfg advertises a bike as a "gravel" bike it must the the latest and greatest bike to have. But the true fact is virtually any bike that has tires somewhat wider than a race bike tire can ride on gravel.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-25-20 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 09:48 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,702 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by olddcarnutjag
Asphalt is expensive, pea gravel is cheap. As the world is filling up with “cycling paths” pea gravel is everywhere. A little racer with skinny tires is a crash waiting to happen, but I have seen a Cervello on pea gravel. High end racers are built for speed in the wind, my ultegra brakes need Skinny tires, my touring bike takes cantis, it can wear huge tires
Welcome to the forum.

The local forest service has started using a weird amalgam of dirt and gravel to pave gravel roads. It's really nice, at least when it's new. I'm curious how it will hold up over time. Better than cinder bike trails, but I prefer actual gravel.
Old 08-25-20, 10:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Earliest Tour D France was run over gravel roads, the durable surfaces then, and still are cobblestones..
Northern France & Belgium they still make them part of bicycle races....
Old 08-25-20, 01:00 PM
UnderDawgAl
Overweight & Out of Shape

Bikes: '94 Giant Sedona ATX mtb, since new; '12 Cannondale Synapse 4 Rival

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
So, what's a gravel bike?
Old 08-25-20, 02:15 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010