Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 07:28 AM
turky lurkey

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport, 1973 Schwinn World Voyaguer, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Specialized Rockhopper, 1988 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
you can determine the year by the serial number.. usually the SN starts with a letter and then a number.. that number after the first letter is usually the production year. You can generally follow the same formula for Centurion serial numbers since both Centurion and Diamondback were owned by the same company. The info to decode Centurion #s is pretty easy to find using google
Thanks,
Here is my serial # 7FC8654 Strangely it doesn't fit with with the pattern described for the centurion/diamond back bikes in the sites I found so I'm still not positive about the year. I'm thinking the 7 in the beginning probably means made in '87, but hard to be sure. Interestingly though the 7F seems to be stamped a bit more lightly than the rest so maybe it's an '88, or '86. Wish I knew.
Old 10-22-13, 07:50 AM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WheelTired

...and now I know where all the AMP forks have gone. Save some for the rest of us!
Old 10-22-13, 11:41 AM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
This thread has gotten absolutely awesome lately. Thanks to Eastcoaststeve's S&S and wheeltired's awesome collection, I've been inspired to start a 26" BMX/cruiser type build. I've got a 1988 Schwinn Sierra frame in cyan blue and chrome with chainstay u-brake bosses. I'm going to go with the sunlite cruiser fork:https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Cruise.../dp/B0014CBNT0. There are no brake bosses so I figured I'd go with u-brakes mounted to an adapter plate like neo-pop showed. I scored one today at a local shop that had been hanging around for 15 years for only $5.

I have a couple of questions for you guys. Does the adapter plate for u-brakes work on 26" setups? Is there a real difference between u-brakes labeled as "front" vs. "rear" or is it like canti's where you just change the pads? Finally, the u-brake adapter I picked up is raw steel and has a little oxidation (see pics). What would you guys do? Sand it down and paint it? Clearcoat it? Polish and clearcoat? Let me know what you think. Thanks, Mike

Old 10-22-13, 12:01 PM
gabriel1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1992 kona explosif set up for asphalt, hardpack and gravel trails
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kona3.jpg (93.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 10-22-13, 12:23 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by likebike23
This thread has gotten absolutely awesome lately. Thanks to Eastcoaststeve's S&S and wheeltired's awesome collection, I've been inspired to start a 26" BMX/cruiser type build. I've got a 1988 Schwinn Sierra frame in cyan blue and chrome with chainstay u-brake bosses. I'm going to go with the sunlite cruiser fork:https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Cruise.../dp/B0014CBNT0. There are no brake bosses so I figured I'd go with u-brakes mounted to an adapter plate like neo-pop showed. I scored one today at a local shop that had been hanging around for 15 years for only $5.

I have a couple of questions for you guys. Does the adapter plate for u-brakes work on 26" setups? Is there a real difference between u-brakes labeled as "front" vs. "rear" or is it like canti's where you just change the pads? Finally, the u-brake adapter I picked up is raw steel and has a little oxidation (see pics). What would you guys do? Sand it down and paint it? Clearcoat it? Polish and clearcoat? Let me know what you think. Thanks, Mike
I`d do an oxalic acid bath in my ultra sonic then I`d spray bomb it with a rust paint in silver or black, which ever color of caliper I was using, but don`t paint the posts
Old 10-22-13, 12:33 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Doesn't look too bad...take a wire wheel on a drill to it, or dip in oxalic acid. Take all the rust off first, then paint it or powdercoat it.
Old 10-22-13, 12:34 PM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy

...and now I know where all the AMP forks have gone. Save some for the rest of us!
Gazelle offered a model with the same frame: the Skyhawk. An all XT bike. It was Gazelle's top of the line offering for the production bikes. Above it sat the handbuilt in Dieren Champion Mondial ATB and All Terrain Bike models.
Old 10-22-13, 01:00 PM
blilrat

Bikes: Somebody stole them all... I walk now.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Put a zero or negative rise stem on there and you'd have a funny bike for the trails.
Old 10-22-13, 01:02 PM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
What difference does it make if the wheels are 20" or 26" in diameter?
If this was aimed at me, my 26" wheels & tires are wider then most BMX setups I see and I also didn't know if there is any height differences from the brake bridge on a 20" bike vs a 26" bike.

Glenn
Old 10-26-13, 11:12 PM
neo_pop_71

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

That is easily one of the craziest mountain bike frames I've ever seen! How well does it ride? The seat tube looks insanely long... what size frame do you typically ride?
Old 10-26-13, 11:37 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
That is easily one of the craziest mountain bike frames I've ever seen! How well does it ride? The seat tube looks insanely long... what size frame do you typically ride?
This is marked "XL 23.5" but I typically ride a 19-20" in MTBs. Since the frame is so kooky I don't think size really matters. The saddle to bar drop is a bit much though. The (OEM) seatpost is more like a road post in length; carbon-wrapped alloy. The ride is typical of rigid steel bikes.
Old 10-27-13, 07:15 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Kind of looks like a time trial bike.
Old 10-28-13, 06:24 PM
WheelTired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an extra amp fork laying around !!

Picked up the mother load of Vintage BMX bikes today, 18 total. wrong thread though.
ParkPre 24", Elf 24", S predador 24", mongoose, diamond backs..moto1's, KHS, Kuwahara's, Boss bikes...sick collection.

Last edited by WheelTired; 10-28-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 06:25 PM
WheelTired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an extra amp fork laying around you can possibly have.....what are going to do with it ? they suck to ride.

Picked up the mother load of Vintage BMX bikes today, 18 total. wrong thread though.
ParkPre 24", Elf 24", S predador 24", mongoose, diamond backs..moto1's, KHS, Kuwahara's, Boss bikes...sick collection buyout. closer to that vintage bike shop retirement....lol

Can't believe HARO sold ONE of these bikes,,,,,,let alone TWO.
Put that seat up to the proper position....TT BIKE FOR SURE>

Haro should have patented the pedal forward design....could be having words with ELECTRA.

Last edited by WheelTired; 10-28-13 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 06:29 PM
highlux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a thread....but here is my 96 Gt karakorum. Original down to the nipples on the tires still. I'd say a 9.5/10 easy as condition goes. Bought her new to replace a Trek I broke chainstays on bunny hopping a curb. Im tuning her up to ride after Im healed up.

Old 10-28-13, 07:11 PM
WheelTired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is awesome. I still have the first ever mountain bike I bought brand new @ A Racers Edge In Breckenride Co.....1990 GT Avalanche, whit w/blue spec.
Originally Posted by highlux
I have a thread....but here is my 96 Gt karakorum. Original down to the nipples on the tires still. I'd say a 9.5/10 easy as condition goes. Bought her new to replace a Trek I broke chainstays on bunny hopping a curb. Im tuning her up to ride after Im healed up.

Old 11-04-13, 10:55 AM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Picked up a lugged 92 trek 970 in sour grape. really nice shape. 22in size but seems smaller due to seat tube extending a good bit above tt.

at 80 bucks easy buy but not sure what to do with it honestly. probably small for me and I'm never off road. ill put a longer stem on and see how it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20131103_213922.jpg (95.2 KB, 218 views)
Old 11-06-13, 09:37 AM
bres dad

Bikes: '84 Paramount, '89 Schwinn 754, '13 Specialized RockHopper, Trek Domane 4.3

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
This is a '98 Schwinn Moab 2 I bought new I started doing a standard tune up on but snowballed into a complete refit/upgrade. I ended up replacing about 75% of the bike, the only original parts being drivetrain (replaced the chain), seat post & frame. OK the brake levers are stock... Thought about buying a new MTB with disc brakes but I didn't like the 29er's and mine was low miles and I like the way it rides so why replace it? Plus it was alot cheaper than buying a whole new bike. New rims, tires, flat bar, grips, fork & stem plus the stuff for the disc conversion. I'm still looking for a shorter fork as the new one is about 1.5" taller but the old one didn't have caliper mounts and I'm not overly thrilled with the way the bike handles now but its something I can live with.

This is my wife's Trek 6000. Did an overhaul on it after I made my Moab into a frankenbike. Just did the basics (tires, cables, basic tune up) and didn't go the full length I did with mine. I've got a spare set of disc compatible rims so I may do a disc brake conversion on hers in the future. She likes the disc brake but is on the fence about modding hers that much.

Old 11-06-13, 09:55 AM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
T
I have a couple of questions for you guys. Does the adapter plate for u-brakes work on 26" setups? Is there a real difference between u-brakes labeled as "front" vs. "rear" or is it like canti's where you just change the pads?
Should work with 26s, depending on the distance between the axle and the hole drilled in your crown. Most u-brakes have a lot of vertcal adjustment for the shoes... Prolly won't work on a suspension-corrected fork...

The main difference between f & r u-brakes,aside from pad orientation,is that front u-brakes tend to be designed for cable routing thru the stem and from up and under....

Assuming you don't intend to do that, you'll want to run a "rear" u-brake front and back, and just switch the pads...

hth,
rob
Old 11-06-13, 10:27 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Knock knock.........Who is it?

Land Shark, Dirt Shark

I just picked this up. It is going to need a complete rebuild (Winter project) along with some new decals. It is a bit small for me, but I will try and make it work with a setback seat post.

Guessing by the chain stay brake I am guessing it is a mid to late 80's bike. I don't think that setup lasted very long, but if someone has a better idea of it's age please let me know.
Old 11-06-13, 10:32 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KOBE
I just picked this up. It is going to need a complete rebuild (Winter project) along with some new decals. It is a bit small for me, but I will try and make it work with a setback seat post.

Guessing by the chain stay brake I am guessing it is a mid to late 80's bike. I don't think that setup lasted very long, but if someone has a better idea of it's age please let me know.
If it is too small for you and you want to let it loose into the wild again, let me know.

jim
Old 11-06-13, 10:34 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KOBE
Knock knock.........Who is it?

Land Shark, Dirt Shark

That is mega cool, it really should get new paint, I know it's only original once but it deserves to be resurrected in all it's neon glory! Too small? The looks like a 20" frame. I would say it is good up to 6'3" but of course you cannot use anything other than that original stem so that might be a little limiting.
Old 11-06-13, 10:52 AM
Kobe 

I was thinking about a repaint, but most of the paint was protected by the decals. I think if I strip and replace the decals and touch up the paint it will look much better. The beauty of the wild paint job is that it makes it harder not to mess it up.

I have been looking for a 66cm Land Shark road bike for ages, and this Dirt Shark has was 10 minutes from my house. I would usually ride a 23" mountain bike, but how often would one of those come up in a Land Shark.
Old 11-06-13, 10:58 AM
Kobe 

Originally Posted by jgedwa
If it is too small for you and you want to let it loose into the wild again, let me know.

jim
Jim, I will let you know. I plan to at least give it a year or until something closer to my size come along. I am amazed by the craftsmanship that went into the frame, how someone could treat it so badly is sad.
Old 11-06-13, 12:11 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
You guys love mountain bikes.
I love mountain bikes as well.
Would anyone be willing to facilitate a vintage classic mountain bike frame and fork in Boston?
PM me if able and willing
thanks,
Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.