Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 09:20 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I spoke too soon yesterday, as it was back in upper teens this morning, light winds and the usual black ice all the way. Another snow and rain event is on the way for tonight and tomorrow so that may be it for commuting this week. Had a nice ride home last night and a beautiful pre storm ride in this morning.
Old 02-27-13, 10:11 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
33F, wicked headwind, misty rain that's supposed to be snow. After two days sick it's good to be back on the bike
Old 02-27-13, 11:32 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Gorgeous morning. Happened to cross paths with a friend and former colleague who bike commutes.
Old 02-27-13, 12:30 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
It rained. I drove. It sucked.
Old 02-27-13, 12:33 PM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back on the bike this morning after driving the truck the first two days of the week for various reasons. 60 degrees and calm with a bit of fog this morning in Okeechobee. Light traffic, a nice ride. Supposed to be getting colder each morning this week, and low 30's forecast for Sunday morning, may cause me to get back in the truck next week for a few days.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 02-27-13, 12:43 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tractortom
Back on the bike this morning after driving the truck the first two days of the week for various reasons. 60 degrees and calm with a bit of fog this morning in Okeechobee. Light traffic, a nice ride. Supposed to be getting colder each morning this week, and low 30's forecast for Sunday morning, may cause me to get back in the truck next week for a few days.

It was a bit chilly up here this morning, but it warmed up quick. Tomorrow may have to have a base layer on before I head out in the am. I'm not riding home, a friend is picking me up (they want to go to dinner right after work).
Old 02-27-13, 10:16 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Some rain today but no wind. It was pretty nice.
Old 02-27-13, 10:34 PM
animabella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was beautiful outside today! Sunny, 45*F in the morning, and 55*F in the evening. It was windy, though. Had a 10-15mph tailwind on the way in, 10-15mph headwind on the way home...I'm tired of this wind. It's unusual for Alabama. I'll live!
Old 02-28-13, 03:57 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
came in late today (11am) because I had to read a thesis in the morning.

+3C/37F

the lights and traffic flow is much different than earlier in the morning ... i got stopped at 9 lights ... some auto red, some bike reds and some subway crossings

i have a feeling it will be one of those days
Old 02-28-13, 06:25 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feeling Spring in the air. 43F/6C, still, and fresh wet air. Riding is getting really nice.
Old 02-28-13, 07:22 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Took it easy this morning after a tough ride yesterday with a lot of wind both ways. The wind was not a factor this morning but it's supposed to be blowing hard this afternoon. At least it's not supposed to rain. The days are getting so much longer now that I need my lights to be seen rather than see, but winter weather is hanging on this year. It's hasn't been an unusually cold winter here but consistently cold, with very few of the warm days in the 60s we typically get in NC.
Old 02-28-13, 07:28 AM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A cool and grey day here in Okeechobee this morning. Fought winds from the South all the way home last night, and had the winds in my face from the NW on the way in to work this morning. 57 degrees when I left the house with heavy overcast, supposed to get to 77 today and the wind is supposed to say from the NW so I'll get a little break on the way home (mostly south...)

Old 02-28-13, 08:27 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 inches of slush this morning, had to turn around and abort the mission. My bike was wobbling all over the place in this stuff. I would have needed a surly pugsley big tire bike.Better days are coming.
Old 02-28-13, 08:35 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
31F, windy, snow though roads and trail are clear. I'm hoping this is our early, annual March madness last snow of the year.

Almost got nailed by a car about 1/2 mile from office. I was crossing a 4 lane downtown road, traffic in the first three lanes were stopped for a light and I crossed. Unbeknownst to me, the far lane was open with an suv barreling down to, well I don't know what they thought they were going to do. Fortunately, they saw me at the last minute and locked 'em up. I didn't hang around to listen to them *****, but it was a good reminder that I have to be vigilant 100% of the time because drivers are oblivious. I'm hoping it scared the absolute **** out of the driver... even better if they soiled themselves
Old 02-28-13, 08:45 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Someone on another thread found this and I thought it belonged here - this is me riding by some guy who took this video to prove I exist! This was a couple of weeks ago on the Greenway, near Kimbal Bridge Road

Old 02-28-13, 08:53 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Someone on another thread found this and I thought it belonged here - this is me riding by some guy who took this video to prove I exist! This was a couple of weeks ago on the Greenway, near Kimbal Bridge Road

in a good way

strangely interesting ... you almost look like a fish and that guy looks like he is standing still

also, i'm jealous of such nice riding conditions
Old 02-28-13, 09:01 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by acidfast7
in a good way

strangely interesting ... you almost look like a fish and that guy looks like he is standing still

also, i'm jealous of such nice riding conditions
I thought it was hilarious. He writes on the youtube page "I finally got him on the gopro so people don't think i'm crazy."

The path is like that for about eight miles, and early in the morning I only have to watch out for squirrels rabbits and deer ... and guys with gopro cameras.
Old 02-28-13, 09:03 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I thought it was hilarious. He writes on the youtube page "I finally got him on the gopro so people don't think i'm crazy."

The path is like that for about eight miles, and early in the morning I only have to watch out for squirrels rabbits and deer ... and guys with gopro cameras.

i really dig the fact that it looks like a big red fish

imagine the conversations with his wife at night, i swear it was a fish.

he was probably so excited to show her

then she probably said hmmm ... that's what you've been talking about all this time

Old 02-28-13, 11:12 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Gorgeous sunny day and I have a set of intervals planned for lunchtime so I rode the race bike. I was waiting at a light when a guy pulls up and says "Nice commute bike. I'd love to see your road bike." I gave him a thumbs up and as he pulled away I saw the hitch rack and cycling bumper stickers. Nice.
Old 02-28-13, 12:26 PM
stayfed

Bikes: Stigmata. Bronson. Macho Man. Big Block. King Cobra

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazing. The weather has been great in NYC. Just a T shirt and my waterproof shell. I have a feeling there will be more and more New Yorkers on bikes this year. Time to take back the streets.
Old 02-28-13, 12:31 PM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
33F with snow flurries when I left the house this morning.
It's supposed to start snowing again late tonight, with off and on snow showers into late Saturday.
Friday afternoon's return home could be interesting, we'll see.
Old 02-28-13, 12:39 PM
caloso

Gorgeous sunny day and I have a set of intervals planned for lunchtime so I rode the race bike. I was waiting at a light when a guy pulls up and says "Nice commute bike. I'd love to see your road bike." I gave him a thumbs up and as he pulled away I saw the hitch rack and cycling bumper stickers. Nice.
Old 02-28-13, 12:51 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

You ride that "thing" every day? No wonder he wanted to videotape you.

I grew up near Alpharetta but there were no bike trails back then. We lived just on the other side of the Chattahoochee River, technically a Dunwoody mailing address but much closer to Roswell. Much of the area is now a national park.
Old 02-28-13, 01:38 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by tarwheel
You ride that "thing" every day? No wonder he wanted to videotape you.

I grew up near Alpharetta but there were no bike trails back then. We lived just on the other side of the Chattahoochee River, technically a Dunwoody mailing address but much closer to Roswell. Much of the area is now a national park.
Would that be the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area? I visit there a few times a year, and also sometimes the Riverside Road just on the other side of the river, a very popular stretch for local cyclists. The Alpharetta Big Creek Greenway, where the video was taken, was only completed through to Roswell about four or five years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if I've ridden it more times end to end than anyone else alive. 1100 times commuting to my current job, I'd say at least double that overall.
Old 02-28-13, 09:21 PM
animabella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commute today was awesome aside from the wind. It was cooler today: 40F on the way in, 45F on the way home. The wind felt brutal though (but I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to the wind!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.