Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Apparel company?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 01:40 PM
mzr

Bikes: Who cares?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
These are the shorts I have been buying. Just as good as the $80-$100 shorts you find out there.

https://www.amazon.com/SANTIC-Cyclin...tic&th=1&psc=1

I don't wear bib shorts, but here are some that are reasonable. If they wear out. You can buy 4 of them for the price price of what the LBS is charging.

https://www.amazon.com/Lameda-Padded...b+shorts&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Mens-P...ing+bib+shorts

Basically just type in the item you are interested in and see what pops up.
I have a Santic-branded insulated tights and jacket, they've held up quite well. I got mine from Aliexpress.
Old 02-06-17, 01:45 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
These are the shorts I have been buying. Just as good as the $80-$100 shorts you find out there.

https://www.amazon.com/SANTIC-Cyclin...tic&th=1&psc=1

I don't wear bib shorts, but here are some that are reasonable. If they wear out. You can buy 4 of them for the price price of what the LBS is charging.
I have several pair of these, and I do have some name brand stuff as well. I'm more than happy with the Santic bike shorts. Have had some of them for two years, and are far from worn out. Definitely NOT inferior IMHO.
Old 02-06-17, 03:31 PM
Eddie72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You are an elitist who has been brainwashed by Madison Avenue Industrial Complex into thinking that you must part with your money in return for overpriced crap! For what Rapha sells for $100 you could get something ten times better on Alibaba $0.69

P.S. I have a Rapha base layer that has be wondering how I ever lived without it.
I even have a Rapha mug and I don't care who knows it
Old 02-06-17, 03:40 PM
googldocs1101

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie72
I like Rapha, you can still find some sale items hidden away in the "archive sale" bit on the website.
WHY would you say that...
Old 02-06-17, 04:00 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Rapha has the best marketing by far. I can't think of anything else that even comes close.
Old 02-06-17, 05:15 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 155. I've found that it one piece of apparel fits well from a brand, most of their stuff will. If not, nothing will fit.

Good stuff:
Sportful is extremely well made and fits me perfectly, it's the winner. Ain't cheap, though.
Gore Bike Wear makes terrific winter jackets
Bioracer and Giordana are both also awesome but can be somewhat hard to source. You used to be able to find Giordana everywhere.
I have one jersey from Maap I love.
Voler Black Label is excellent
Descente used to be my favorite but they pulled most of their distribution from the US about ten years ago. Extremely high quality, Japanese made stuff that fit perfectly, lasted forever and didn't cost much.

Rapha and Assos? Great but I'm not worth it.

Ok stuff:
Castelli fits me perfectly but isn't extremely well made, their top end stuff is really nice (and really expensive). We had our kit made by their custom shop and it is awesome but fragile.
Pearl Izumi PRO is extremely well made but doesn't really fit me perfectly
Performance stuff is surprisingly well made but sized to fit someone roughly with about 50% more volume than me. If they'd do an actual race fit, they'd be a good bargain option.
Garneau is extremely variable in quality and fit, their top end stuff is excellent though.
Bontrager's stuff is really well made but is too loose on me generally.

Sucks:
Most anything cheap and Chinese. Falls apart. Weird fitting. I gave up on this route. It makes sense to spend good money on cycling apparel, IMO.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-06-17 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 07:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm very satisfied with Pearl Izumi. Good quality, reasonably priced considering how well made the stuff is. And Louis Garneau items are often on sale for deep discounts and are outstanding bargains on sale (I have LG jerseys, summer weight gloves and a couple other items). And I'm very impressed with the quality and value of AeroTech, although I don't wear their tight fitting shorts often. I don't need the padding since my saddles are padded. And because most of my rides include social gatherings, visiting friends who aren't cyclists, museums and art galleries, I prefer casual shorts over tight fitting manly bulge shorts.

I'd consider most of my handful of Pearl Izumi items to be essentials for my riding comfort:
  • Sleeveless Transfer base layer undershirt using "minerale" fabric
  • Canyon baggy plaid shorts
  • Select Barrier windbreaker

Notably the "minerale" fabric sleeveless base layer. Incredibly comfortable year 'round, so much so that I wear it in summer under nicer shirts while cycling so I don't get soggy perspiration marks. And it's my always-wear item for cool and cold weather cycling. Best wicking fabric I've ever worn, including some merino wool items.

The PI Canyon shorts are terrific, especially at the $25 sale price I got last year. Comfortable, great attention to detail in stitching and tailoring, mesh liner, etc. Well worth the full retail price, and a steal on sale. Durable too. I took a hard fall on pavement this week and can't find any damage to the shorts -- although it was remarkably smooth pavement and even my thin Champion long sleeve jersey was barely scuffed, no holes worn through.

And we have a PI outlet store, so occasionally I can snag an item for the same price as any online retailer, or even less. In November I bought a Select Barrier ultra-thin windbreaker from the local PI outlet shop for $30, while online I couldn't find one for less than $40-$50 (the one I bought may have been a second, but I couldn't find any flaws). Easily one of the best bits of cycling apparel I've owned. I've even loaned it to other cyclists who didn't dress warmly enough for our nighttime group rides.

It's incredibly effective despite being so thin. I've worn it over a baselayer longsleeve jersey and Nike Dri-Fit hoodie for rides in 20F weather and was actually sweating after 30 minutes or so on gravel and no-road rides in open fields. With just a longsleeve thin jersey for wicking it's still comfortable in the 60s. Adjusting the front zipper flows air through to the rear pocket, which is lined with mesh fabric, so it doesn't feel like wearing plastic food wrap. Packs down into its own rear pocket, so I can stuff it into a jersey pocket, or a small Lowepro lens bag that I use as a handlebar bag, or in a ziplock sandwich bag under a cargo net on my rear rack to keep it clean on the gravel trails.

The mid-2000s era Pearl Izumi arm warmers more ordinary, no better or worse than others. The newer PI arm warmers are better, but I paid only $10 for the old style PI arm warmers at the outlet store. They're comfortable and warm, but newer fabrics are thinner, warmer and wick well enough to be useful even in warmer weather for sun protection. Nashbar's own knee warmers are better than the mid-2000s era of Pearl Izumi warmers, but PI has improved their products significantly since then and are much nicer than Nashbar, Garneau and other lower priced apparel.
Old 02-06-17, 09:18 PM
googldocs1101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was staying with the GF and her parents' house in Avalon. (Rode down there from Philly for a week.) Rode to Cape May, took the ferry to Lewes, DE and then rode the Rehoboth, DE for lunch. The GF was wearing a pair of LG shorts so the cousin struck up a conversation with us.

On the way back a group do dolphins swan straight to the boat before submerging before getting run over. They like to play like that.

It's a nice little trip, even if you just get the ferry from Cape May and ride to Rehoboth. You can get there from Lewes almost entirely on trails, including some in Cape Henlopen State Park. The non-trail parts use mostly roads with wide bike lanes.
I am always surprised when at the shore and seeing dolphins. For how crappy NJ is it is nice to have such a surprise.
Old 02-06-17, 09:21 PM
googldocs1101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm very satisfied with Pearl Izumi. Good quality, reasonably priced considering how well made the stuff is. And Louis Garneau items are often on sale for deep discounts and are outstanding bargains on sale (I have LG jerseys, summer weight gloves and a couple other items). And I'm very impressed with the quality and value of AeroTech, although I don't wear their tight fitting shorts often. I don't need the padding since my saddles are padded. And because most of my rides include social gatherings, visiting friends who aren't cyclists, museums and art galleries, I prefer casual shorts over tight fitting manly bulge shorts.

I'd consider most of my handful of Pearl Izumi items to be essentials for my riding comfort:
  • Sleeveless Transfer base layer undershirt using "minerale" fabric
  • Canyon baggy plaid shorts
  • Select Barrier windbreaker

Notably the "minerale" fabric sleeveless base layer. Incredibly comfortable year 'round, so much so that I wear it in summer under nicer shirts while cycling so I don't get soggy perspiration marks. And it's my always-wear item for cool and cold weather cycling. Best wicking fabric I've ever worn, including some merino wool items.

The PI Canyon shorts are terrific, especially at the $25 sale price I got last year. Comfortable, great attention to detail in stitching and tailoring, mesh liner, etc. Well worth the full retail price, and a steal on sale. Durable too. I took a hard fall on pavement this week and can't find any damage to the shorts -- although it was remarkably smooth pavement and even my thin Champion long sleeve jersey was barely scuffed, no holes worn through.

And we have a PI outlet store, so occasionally I can snag an item for the same price as any online retailer, or even less. In November I bought a Select Barrier ultra-thin windbreaker from the local PI outlet shop for $30, while online I couldn't find one for less than $40-$50 (the one I bought may have been a second, but I couldn't find any flaws). Easily one of the best bits of cycling apparel I've owned. I've even loaned it to other cyclists who didn't dress warmly enough for our nighttime group rides.

It's incredibly effective despite being so thin. I've worn it over a baselayer longsleeve jersey and Nike Dri-Fit hoodie for rides in 20F weather and was actually sweating after 30 minutes or so on gravel and no-road rides in open fields. With just a longsleeve thin jersey for wicking it's still comfortable in the 60s. Adjusting the front zipper flows air through to the rear pocket, which is lined with mesh fabric, so it doesn't feel like wearing plastic food wrap. Packs down into its own rear pocket, so I can stuff it into a jersey pocket, or a small Lowepro lens bag that I use as a handlebar bag, or in a ziplock sandwich bag under a cargo net on my rear rack to keep it clean on the gravel trails.

The mid-2000s era Pearl Izumi arm warmers more ordinary, no better or worse than others. The newer PI arm warmers are better, but I paid only $10 for the old style PI arm warmers at the outlet store. They're comfortable and warm, but newer fabrics are thinner, warmer and wick well enough to be useful even in warmer weather for sun protection. Nashbar's own knee warmers are better than the mid-2000s era of Pearl Izumi warmers, but PI has improved their products significantly since then and are much nicer than Nashbar, Garneau and other lower priced apparel.
My one friend enjoys Pearl Izumi. I've had one jersey by them and for me the fit was a little off. The way the back fell was odd. Anyway, yea, after a lot of uses it has held up nicely. Do I wear it now? No, however for a beginner it is a nice way to get introduced.
Old 02-06-17, 09:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by googldocs1101
I am always surprised when at the shore and seeing dolphins. For how crappy NJ is it is nice to have such a surprise.
Not all of NJ is crappy. Seen two years ago on a ride in Hunterdon County, NJ, one of the wealthiest counties in the entire U.S. of A. (A few years ago it was No. 4 two years in a row.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bear.jpg (68.7 KB, 94 views)
Old 02-06-17, 09:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
No one wearing Castelli?

I have one Twin Six jersey. It is a workhorse and I seem to wear it quite often. They could be a great brand if they grew up, stop pandering to the 20-something hardcore crowd with references to satanism and 666, and produced some understated designs like their Forever Forward jersey.

Morvelo is feast and famine. They can produce a fantastic product with a sublime design and then turn around and produce the most horrific product with garish graphics the very next day. The Hemisphere Gilet is an amazing garment and their Thermoactive Long Sleeve Jersey is another one of my workhorses, amazing value when on sale. I have not tried their bottoms, only their tops, and only buy when on sale.

Assos continues to be an enigma to me. I still wear my 12 year old jerseys and 10 year old bibs but I can't figure out the names of their products. The older I get the less I'm interested in skin tight clothing anyway.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-06-17 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 09:48 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by kingston
Rapha has the best marketing by far. I can't think of anything else that even comes close.
They also have great apparel.
Old 02-06-17, 09:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Good points about Pearl Izumi fit. I prefer casual fitting apparel and I'm not fast enough to benefit from the reduced wind resistance of form fitting clothing.

My cycling clothing from Pearl Izumi, Garneau and Nike Dri-Fit hoodie feel pretty snug to me, but in photos and videos taken by friends on group rides I can see my clothes aren't really form fitting. They're just a casual good fit.

But if I rode a road bike with drops and could consistently maintain a pace faster than 16 mph I'd probably want more form fitting duds. Even on a still, calm day around 15-16 mph seems to be the point at which I can feel the effects of casual fitting clothing, the more upright handlebars I'm comfortable with, etc.
Old 02-06-17, 10:18 PM
googldocs1101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not all of NJ is crappy. Seen two years ago on a ride in Hunterdon County, NJ, one of the wealthiest counties in the entire U.S. of A. (A few years ago it was No. 4 two years in a row.)
Remember the RU student that was killed up north by a bear? Honestly, northern NJ and Southern NJ are completely different.
Old 02-06-17, 10:19 PM
googldocs1101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
No one wearing Castelli?

I have one Twin Six jersey. It is a workhorse and I seem to wear it quite often. They could be a great brand if they grew up, stop pandering to the 20-something hardcore crowd with references to satanism and 666, and produced some understated designs like their Forever Forward jersey.

Morvelo is feast and famine. They can produce a fantastic product with a sublime design and then turn around and produce the most horrific product with garish graphics the very next day. The Hemisphere Gilet is an amazing garment and their Thermoactive Long Sleeve Jersey is another one of my workhorses, amazing value when on sale. I have not tried their bottoms, only their tops, and only buy when on sale.

Assos continues to be an enigma to me. I still wear my 12 year old jerseys and 10 year old bibs but I can't figure out the names of their products. The older I get the less I'm interested in skin tight clothing anyway.

-Tim-
I'm 24 and I am thinking of getting the solid colored jerseys for '17. A lot in my age group, that ride, are very hipster. I don't adhere to it. Not that it's bad but it comes off as ******.
Old 02-07-17, 06:49 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by googldocs1101
Remember the RU student that was killed up north by a bear? Honestly, northern NJ and Southern NJ are completely different.
I do. There are some nice areas of S. Jersey. Every year I do a couple of long weekend tours to Worthington State Forest in Woodbine.
Old 02-07-17, 09:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Levi's on a century ride in the middle of the summer in near triple digit temps with 98% humidity. Seems ideal.
Appropriate apparel/equipment for the activity seems to be key; wearing high priced so-called "kit" apparel hardly seems "ideal" for the casual bicycling done by a large segment of bicyclists (recreational rides in the park, relatively short rides to school or work or visit a friend, shopping etc.). Levi's and a t-shirt are probably more ideal apparel for those bicyclists not interested in efficiency and speed über alles

IMO, nothing will make going on a century ride in the middle of the summer in near triple digit temps with 98% humidity "ideal", except waking up and finding out it was only a bad dream.
Old 02-07-17, 09:42 AM
indyfabz

I ordered a new Rapha short sleeve base layer this morning as my original one got attacked by moths. It was only $85 deal. Good deal. Awesome product.
Old 02-07-17, 01:40 PM
TMassimo

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon '16

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just bought a couple of Louis Garneau Jersey (one yellow, one black) at £22.49. I think it sells in the US for $99.00.

This is my first jersey so I cannot compare it, but I wore it today in 5c (41f) with a Craft extreme base layer, a t-shirt and a shirt underneath, and I was very comfortable. I like it.
Old 02-07-17, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TMassimo
This is my first jersey so I cannot compare it, but I wore it today in 5c (41f) with a Craft extreme base layer, a t-shirt and a shirt underneath, and I was very comfortable. I like it.
Dang! It must be at least one size up if you fit three things under it and it still felt comfortable.
Old 02-07-17, 02:33 PM
TMassimo

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon '16

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sorry, I meant comfortable as in - not cold. It's a tight fit but not too tight - the material is quite stretchable. I tried the size large which was a bit looser but the sleeves were a bit too long.
Old 02-07-17, 02:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Appropriate apparel/equipment for the activity seems to be key; wearing high priced so-called "kit" apparel hardly seems "ideal" for the casual bicycling done by a large segment of bicyclists (recreational rides in the park, relatively short rides to school or work or visit a friend, shopping etc.). Levi's and a t-shirt are probably more ideal apparel for those bicyclists not interested in efficiency and speed über alles

IMO, nothing will make going on a century ride in the middle of the summer in near triple digit temps with 98% humidity "ideal", except waking up and finding out it was only a bad dream.

Most of the kits you see today are not the best for the job. Most are in fact, overpriced, high lycra content junk.

Most manufacturers are not willing to invest the time and money it takes to develop patterns so that a garment fits properly. They purchase cheap patterns off the shelf and instead rely on the stretch of high lycra content fabrics for proper fit. The problem is that lycra isn't the best material for every application and is a very poor material for many types of riding, especially hot/humid as you describe.

Patterning the garment correctly means that a manufacturer does not have to rely on stretchy lycra for fit but can choose the correct material for the job - stretchwoven, knit, doubleweaves, coatings, etc. Few actually do this.

7Mesh, Arc'teryx and Vulpine's Hoy prodocts are examples of some companies which invest in proper patterning and don't just throw overpriced lycra at consumers. Assos and Castelli to a lesser extent but better than some.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-07-17 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-07-17, 03:20 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Aero Tech Designs for winter clothing: wind-proof jackets and thermal tights. They make bike clothing in tall sizes, which is hard to find.

Anything Pearl Izumi. I like Pearl Izumi relaxed-fit bike jerseys and I've had great success with PI mountain bike shoes that I use for my clipless set up on my road bikes. LLBean also makes awesome relaxed-fit bike jerseys for rail trail riding with the mountain bike.
Old 02-07-17, 03:28 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TMassimo
I tried the size large which was a bit looser but the sleeves were a bit too long.

Who the hell tries on bike clothes anymore? If I have learned one thing from Bikeforums it's that if you didn't order it on line you got ripped off my some evil brick & mortar retailer who just wants to **** your wallet.
Old 02-07-17, 04:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

All the cursing doesn't do anything. I don't like it. It is childish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.