Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Music Status?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 01:49 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
black panther soundtrack is good, too
Old 03-01-18, 03:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I realize I'm probably superlate to it, but I have been listening to a lot of Run The Jewels lately. I don't really consider myself a hiphop fan, but their stuff is amazing. I mean, a rap song in 6/8?

Old 03-01-18, 03:28 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
the blank panther sound track does indeed look good
Old 03-01-18, 04:07 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
the blank panther sound track does indeed look good
I'll have to check it out after I see the movie.
Old 03-01-18, 09:13 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Soundtrack for black panther is awesome. I'm a huge Kendrick Lamar fan, and was a little skeptical when I heard he did a movie soundtrack, but after seeing the movie, it just worked. There is a specific scene in the movie where the track with the weeknd comes in as a door swings open, and it really sealed the deal for me.

Reminded me of the club scene in tron. The sound, the setting.. Just more badass.
Old 03-02-18, 01:08 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Also a Kendrick and Schoolboy Q fan as well. I'm also a shameless fan of top 40's rap and R&B, and as such I look fwd to the Swae Lee (love rae sremmurd), Weeknd and Khalid tracks
Old 03-02-18, 01:14 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Grooving to some late (for me) night Tool over here. This track is great shortly after 2:40 as the rhythm and time signatures are so complicated and interesting... Their drummer is srsly underrated:

Was thinking about the following line towards the end of my ride this morning and feeling elated:

"celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing"
Old 03-02-18, 01:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
This came up in a shuffle on my iPod this morning and I'm taken back to a time when I was newly single, depressed, drinking too much, talking to my cat, and listening to this album on repeat.

Old 03-02-18, 07:35 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
jesus christ was 1994 that long ago.
Old 03-11-18, 03:09 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Saw the Saturday show in the Saltair palace last night. Above and Beyond was the headliner and pretty much the only reason I bought a one-day ticket. Just an awesome show. Visuals were awesome, crowd was super into it and A&B know how to put on a show. Also saw the least rampant drug use out of any concert I've been to in recent memory, oddly enough. For those of you who aren't into electronic music, still check out this track. it was their closing song and a big hit off their new album. And it uses very little EDM style production or sounds. Plus the music video is real cool.

Old 03-11-18, 03:50 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I like above and beyond recordings but not sure if I could be into a live show (without the kind of drugs I've never tried).

I saw the Seattle band Thunder***** the other night at a dinky little venue a couple blocks from home. 4 girls rocked the place so damn hard. They should (and probably will soon) be in larger venues with tickets selling for more than 10 bucks.
Old 03-11-18, 03:55 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I like above and beyond recordings but not sure if I could be into a live show (without the kind of drugs I've never tried).
It's about the vibe. I don't drink at concerts and never do any illegal drugs. Still a ton of fun. Something about the atmosphere. I'm just glad I'm not a claustrophobic person so I can enjoy raves/bigger concerts. (I'm not going a call a 75$ concert a rave.. It's just not right). They also were playing more of club mixes of their tracks which helps keep the energy up.
Old 03-11-18, 06:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Saw Herbie Hancock at the Balboa Theater on Wednesday with my gf and parents, was a xmas gift. It was very progressive, post *****es Brew and Headhunters fusion style, very creative band. Featured the bass player from the SNL band, a Kendrick Lamar producer on Tenor Sax and extra keyboards (effects), a guitar player/vocalist with a synthesized output like nothing I'd ever heard before, and a sick drummer, forget the name. Drummer was far and away the best outside of Hancock.

Not your standard acoustic quartet playing straight-ahead jazz and a lot of the more famous tunes that much of the crowd wanted to hear. I loved it .

Outside of "Cantaloupe Island" (which got pretty weird mid way through), the only track from 60's and 70's Hancock they did was Actual Proof, which itself is a bit out-there from Thrust and has always been one of my favorites. Dat drummer tho...

Old 03-11-18, 10:41 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
It's about the vibe. I don't drink at concerts and never do any illegal drugs. Still a ton of fun. Something about the atmosphere. I'm just glad I'm not a claustrophobic person so I can enjoy raves/bigger concerts. (I'm not going a call a 75$ concert a rave.. It's just not right). They also were playing more of club mixes of their tracks which helps keep the energy up.
Is weed an illegal drug where u are? Speaking of above and beyond, the new track came on my release radar on spotify. Listening to it currently. Its a good track for a produced sound. I enjoy it. I enjoy lots of electronic sounds at home. But live... Like what's exciting about live eletronics? If I'm at a live show I want at least 2 instruments and vocals to be live.
Old 03-12-18, 08:47 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Saw the Saturday show in the Saltair palace last night. Above and Beyond was the headliner and pretty much the only reason I bought a one-day ticket. Just an awesome show. Visuals were awesome, crowd was super into it and A&B know how to put on a show. Also saw the least rampant drug use out of any concert I've been to in recent memory, oddly enough. For those of you who aren't into electronic music, still check out this track. it was their closing song and a big hit off their new album. And it uses very little EDM style production or sounds. Plus the music video is real cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZALrv7eMWbs
Wouldn't mind seeing that show; love Above and Beyond and Oakenfold is a legend. My wife's secretary is a huge EDM fan and doesn't even know who he is (dude's in his 20's).

Originally Posted by TMonk
Saw Herbie Hancock at the Balboa Theater on Wednesday with my gf and parents, was a xmas gift. It was very progressive, post *****es Brew and Headhunters fusion style, very creative band. Featured the bass player from the SNL band, a Kendrick Lamar producer on Tenor Sax and extra keyboards (effects), a guitar player/vocalist with a synthesized output like nothing I'd ever heard before, and a sick drummer, forget the name. Drummer was far and away the best outside of Hancock.

Not your standard acoustic quartet playing straight-ahead jazz and a lot of the more famous tunes that much of the crowd wanted to hear. I loved it .

Outside of "Cantaloupe Island" (which got pretty weird mid way through), the only track from 60's and 70's Hancock they did was Actual Proof, which itself is a bit out-there from Thrust and has always been one of my favorites. Dat drummer tho...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0c38Wtdvz0

I remember Herbie Hancock back when I was a kid. Rockit used to be the big break dancing song before Hip Hop (namely Run DMC) really took off.
Old 03-12-18, 07:07 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Is weed an illegal drug where u are? Speaking of above and beyond, the new track came on my release radar on spotify. Listening to it currently. Its a good track for a produced sound. I enjoy it. I enjoy lots of electronic sounds at home. But live... Like what's exciting about live eletronics? If I'm at a live show I want at least 2 instruments and vocals to be live.
Yes. I live in Utah. Everything mind altering would be illegal if they could do it. IDK man, live music is just something special. Feeling the bass, the crowd, dancing, the community of the whole thing.

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Wouldn't mind seeing that show; love Above and Beyond and Oakenfold is a legend. My wife's secretary is a huge EDM fan and doesn't even know who he is (dude's in his 20's).
Paul Oakenfold is like the grand daddy of all electronic music. His set was.. interesting. He seemed really bored performing almost lol. Maybe because he's been doing for so damn long. Played lots of older stuff, different vibe from the current trance producers. Dude has been in the game longer than I've been alive, though, so maybe I just don't appreciate it.
Old 03-26-18, 06:27 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

One of the most popular edm groups ever reunited last night at the 20th anniversary of Ultra Music Festival. Swedish House Mafia played a big part in getting me started in dance music. This set is really good. Really like the part at about 43:30 where they remixed into Stairway to heaven.

Old 03-27-18, 08:31 AM
furiousferret

My buddy is a huge EDM fan and was watching it all weekend. I had him text me when SHM and a few other DJ's started. Sadly, right when Above and Beyond came on, I had a work call.
Old 03-27-18, 08:47 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I haven't listened to the above and beyond set yet. Tomorrow at work! the Tiesto set got me through my intervals today.
Old 04-04-18, 01:50 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

edit: especially "Buckets on Rain" - sad and sweet, just like my sig

Last edited by TMonk; 04-04-18 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-05-18, 01:50 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I like to listen to Electronic Music mixes often when operating our ICP mass spectrometer. Maybe it's just my imagination, but the instrument seems to behave and be less problematic when I play this stuff.
Old 04-10-18, 12:07 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

My mom showed me this really, really awesome animated short that accompanies one of my favorite melodies - Sebelius' Valse Triste. Check it out! Super moving.

Old 04-12-18, 02:59 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

More classic Tool. I'm on a kick!

Old 04-16-18, 07:07 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Into grandson lately.

Old 04-16-18, 08:34 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts

Getting back into Live. I burned out for a while on them, "a while" meaning maybe 20-25 years, mid 90s until now. Back in the bike shop days we spent pretty much a year listening to the same CD, Live "Mental Jewelry" on forever repeat at the shop. One day a customer came in, made some comment about how "that's a great CD!" (Live, Mental Jewelry). We all replied with some variation of, "Yeah, it's a great CD! We listen to it all day on forever repeat!". Said customer came back to pick up his bike that evening, realized we were still playing Live, and asked if we really did listen to it all day long. At that point it'd been a few months, and we all collectively said so. He laughed, "I'm going to have to get you guys some new CDs!".

Anyway they're playing locally in August. I'm super tempted to buy tickets, but not sure. They're opening for Counting Crows, and although I know some of their songs, I'm not a huge CC fan.

And for the first time ever, that I can remember, I passed up riding the bike to drink a beer. And listen to music.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.