Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A "Show Your MARUISHI Here!" thread- why not?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A "Show Your MARUISHI Here!" thread- why not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 09:36 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by nishikiwhat
Hi everyone, great looking bikes!

I got tipped off on the Nishiki thread that I may have purchased a Maruishi (was sold as a Nishiki), wondering if someone here has some extra info.

It's been stripped and painted over, so I can't say for sure what it is, but it came with:
Shimano 105 1050 groupset
Shimano 105 headset
Shimano 105 crankset with 2x Biopace oval rings
Araya 700c rims and 105 hubs
The seat tube (not the BB) has the serial number stamped on the bottom part - GS71399
The fork (hopefully it's the original one) has "Ishiwata" stamped on the steerer tube

Any information would be very much appreciated!
Any kangaroos on the fork crown? If there is one that would be a dead give away. But not all have them. Mine doesn't, which makes me sad. Is there a model name on the frame?
Old 07-20-23, 09:10 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the seat stay caps are another place to look for kangaroos.
Old 08-03-23, 01:29 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
This is what my Maruishi looks like now.

It's currently working as one of my commuters. I put Porteur bars on it. I had to resort to stem shifters after I realized that downtube shifters are difficult to reach when upright. The bars are sized for road brake levers so I used bar end brake levers, which meant I didn't have any place to add bar end shifters, so stem shifters it is.

I might at some point get some brake levers that fit, in which case I can switch to bar end shifters, but that can wait.

Added used velo orange fenders, which I must say, I really like. Well, it is summer, so not a lot of rain, but there was a day or two where it did rain, and they seem to have worked really nicely. That could just all be in my head, but whatever..

This is the first porteur bars I've used. I think I like them. I was out on one of my drop bar bikes for a couple of hours and I felt like it stressed out my shoulders. On the porteurs though, well, nothing.
Which now presents me with a quandary. Should I convert more of my bikes to porteurs?

At work.
Likes For rgvg:
Old 08-09-23, 05:53 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
BRC Maruishi Vista

BRC Maruishi Vista from 1989. In Canada, Boyes & Rosser of Coquitlam BC distributed and rebranded Maruishi manufactured bicycles.
Likes For Hummer:
Old 08-09-23, 06:17 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Roadace 505

A rather tortured Roadace 505, frame manufactured in 1980. Missing the tubing decals. I am not sure of the frame material. Some years the 505 models were supposed to be Hi-Tensile frames, but this frame seems light to me for Hi-Tensile.

Likes For Hummer:
Old 10-04-23, 10:12 AM
nishikiwhat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
Any kangaroos on the fork crown? If there is one that would be a dead give away. But not all have them. Mine doesn't, which makes me sad. Is there a model name on the frame?
Unfortunately absolutely no markings, it has been resprayed and the only markings are the ishiwata on the fork and the serial number
Old 10-04-23, 07:47 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
This is what my Maruishi looks like now.

It's currently working as one of my commuters. I put Porteur bars on it. I had to resort to stem shifters after I realized that downtube shifters are difficult to reach when upright. The bars are sized for road brake levers so I used bar end brake levers, which meant I didn't have any place to add bar end shifters, so stem shifters it is.

I might at some point get some brake levers that fit, in which case I can switch to bar end shifters, but that can wait.

Added used velo orange fenders, which I must say, I really like. Well, it is summer, so not a lot of rain, but there was a day or two where it did rain, and they seem to have worked really nicely. That could just all be in my head, but whatever..

This is the first porteur bars I've used. I think I like them. I was out on one of my drop bar bikes for a couple of hours and I felt like it stressed out my shoulders. On the porteurs though, well, nothing.
Which now presents me with a quandary. Should I convert more of my bikes to porteurs?

At work.
is that front wheel 700c and the rear 27”?
bike just appears to have a declining top tube.
Old 04-17-24, 08:57 AM
Velosophy

Bikes: Old Carlton frame and fork. Old Nishiki frame and fork, single speed build? 2003 Scattante full carbon/Ultegra. 90’s trek steel with full 600(purchased for the components) Also vintage K2 full suspension

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Thought I’d throw my new to me Maruishi on here. Rides nice. Full 600 group. Was listed locally for $100 paid $80, was happy to have it at that price. Was planning to strip for parts but for now it’s rider as is!

Likes For Velosophy: