Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Article on Lance

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-03, 04:21 AM
devinci_freak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't Lance Armstrong a former Triathlete champion? So that must mean he knows how to run and has wonderful swimming abilities. Also, what makes cyclism so special is the determination it takes to support the pain and push the body and mind to their limits. Finally, cycling is often said to be the more difficult sport in the world.
Old 08-01-03, 05:55 AM
oxologic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the guy just wants to piss us all cyclists off. I think we should put a end to all this discussion. Probably he visits bikeforums and find it very fun for him to give comments most will disagree upon. How childish of him ....
Old 08-01-03, 07:14 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
just a few points.

1) John Canzano did multiple times mention Lance as
cancer survivor.
if I may quote
"Armstrong's is an inspirational comeback story. Isn't that enough? "
2) He never said Lance wasn't an athelete, or competitor
he just said he isn't the worlds greatest.
3) Bicycle Racing IS a fringe sport here in the U.S. and until
it becomes anything else, better learn to live with it and realize
not everyone in the U.S. is as enlightened as we are.

I really think the gist of Mr. Canzano's article was lost, even
by him. Again if I may quote first sentence:
"Why do we always do this to ourselves? "
and later in the article:
"We should take caution, even while touting Armstrong and his bicycle, because, well, this is sort of the same hype machine that led us to believe we knew Kobe Bryant when we didn't. It's a small leap from good athlete to great athlete to hero to superhero. And we do it all the time, without a thought."
Now, reread the article, without the emotion and maybe,
just maybe he isn't talking about Lance.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-07-03, 07:33 AM
Ritalin
Upgrade your Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this article wasn't about attack cycling. he was attacking people that go for the "flavor of the week" so to say. It made for a better article if he makes Lance seem less credible as the world's greatest athlete.

Wouldn't have been much of an article to say: "Lance Armstrong is an incredable athlete, but he's probably not the greatest athlete of all time. Why do people always do this?" Probably had a wordcount or something to have to hit to fill a part of a paper.

It did make me upset to read and see how he belittled cycling. And several of his arguments weren't very good. Especially "If lance is so great why isn't he in the ESPN top 100 greatest athletes? He couldn't even beat a horse" Well, that list was compiled in 1999. If they compiled it again today I know he'd be on it.
Old 09-08-03, 09:29 PM
Greek Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be reading only part of his articles it became apparent that the guy is clearly at home with his own silliness.
Old 09-09-03, 04:37 PM
crucifixion12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From reading the article, I really don't see the big deal about what he said. He has a different opinion of what makes an athlete great. He thinks they should play a sport that involves a lot of hand-eye coordination combined with strength, stamina, etc. Yes, cycling requires a tremendous amount of stamina and lower body strength, but isn't so high up on the hand-eye coordination when compared to what are typically referred to as the 5 "major" sports. I've played all 5 "major" sports competitively, and have raced my bike, and cycling takes the least amount of hand eye coordination, and is on about the same stamina level as upper level competitive ice hockey. But I certainly think Lance should be included among the great athletes when discussed, and I can see that both the cycling and non-cycling communites have a valid arguement.
Old 09-10-03, 09:33 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could someone point out where he says Armstrong isn't an athelete? Looks to me like his sentence "Now, Armstrong is a wonderful athlete" says the opposite. I'm also oh-so-glad that the cycling community pulled out it's best a brightest and sent e-mails like "You're a fool" or "Your article made me constipated". After reading some of the responses, I am ashamed of the cycling community. Looks like those who responded to his post are fools and idiots, especially the moron in the gym who flipped him off. What this article has proved is that cyclists are no better than anyone else. We have our share of complete idiots incapable of reading an article closely (and more than once) before sending off some half-cocked reply. Half of the posts here show a complete failure to read an article with an open mind (how many people here implied that he said LA wasn't an athelete? See my quote above to show you didn't pay close attention). If you sent in a "nasty" response to his article, I'm ashamed of you and hope you stop cycling and giving the rest of us a bad name. Our job is to educate, not insult. >
Old 09-10-03, 09:36 AM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The smiley above should be And add a few more
Old 09-10-03, 10:08 AM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My e-mail to Canzano:

I just now got a chance to read your article and the follow-up article and I wanted a chance to try and redeem the cycling community...
First, sorry so many morons sent hate mail. Many cyclists are generally calm, intelligent individuals. Unfortunately, there are also those cyclists with whom we'd prefer not to ride. I think they're the ones who mailed you.
Second, the ruckus had to do with the perception (obviously mistaken) that you were saying Lance wasn't an athlete. They just didn't read closely and jumped to conclusions.
Third, cyclists have a rough time here in America. I ride to and from work and constantly have to wrestle with fat slobs in cars who think that only their taxes go to pay for the pavement. They don't realize that state law requires me to ride to the road. As a result, when I slow their commute by 10 seconds because they have to wait to pass me, they get angry and honk like maniacs, pass too close or scream obscenities. most cyclists are out there to better themselves, but the average "lazy American" could care less. I think that's where all the anger came from.

Anyway, I think you were on something there. I'm not sure that I'd place Babe Ruth above Lance (after all, Babe's main contribution was hitting a ball (well) with a stick, which seems a lot less difficult than riding 2,000+ miles up mountains, etc to me), but you and I are both entitled to our opinions I wouldn't call Armstrong the "World's Greatest Athlete" but I do think he deserved SI's Athlete of the Year least year...

Nevertheless, I digress. I appreciated your article and I think I saw the more important undercurrent about our unhealthy fascination with some athletes. I just wanted to apologize for those of us cyclists who can't seem to communicate in a rational, calm manner.

-Carl J. Stoneham
Old 09-11-03, 09:06 PM
r600aero
#1 Lance Armstrong Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
between Lance's courageous battle with cancer, and what he can do on a bike, he is DEFINATELY tops in my book...
Ryan
Old 09-12-03, 09:08 PM
r600aero
#1 Lance Armstrong Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the guy is a moron, and obviously still lives with his mother and has her do his laundry... what a loser... talk about a slap in the face to LA...
(I'm sorry FIVE TDF wins doesnt make him the #1 athlete today...)
Ryan
Old 09-13-03, 12:30 AM
hdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least he didn't say Tiger Woods is a better athlete although saying Bonds is a better athlete is almost as stupid.