Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 08:18 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Last night I was gonna ride after work and didn't feel like it. Tonight I was gonna ride and don't feel like it. Just in time for the end of the season.

But we are going to Thailand for the first half of November and I'm afraid I'll be entering December at like 25 CTL if I take a break now. I have already let it slide down to 80 or so for the end of the season.
Old 09-13-17, 11:01 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Weeknight cx race tonight. Was fun except apparently I'm not very good at bleeding hydraulic brakes yet. Going to have to redo them before Saturday... Had a few scary moments and two falls. One because I'm a dumbass and tried to run cleats on pavement instead of just bunny hopping a curb. The other because I need new cleats and couldn't get unclipped coming around a corner. Also need to get some new shoes that I can run in that don't bruise my feet.

Fun timEs though, my fitness was leagues above the others in the b class race. I just can't handle a bike on dirt.
Old 09-14-17, 06:09 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I hit a 5, 10, and 20 minute PR in Tuesday's time trial. Not going to change my FTP, but its nice to hit those numbers this late in the season. I thought for sure I was down from where I was in the spring after not doing any focused intervals in a few months
Old 09-14-17, 07:12 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
That's legit. This is all the volume/racing you were doing paying off! Nice work.
Old 09-14-17, 08:58 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So with having to move all employee to temporary offices further means my work commute is not doable, so trainer/zwift is going to be it. Monday spent 1.5hr on zwift and the trainer just felt so hard to put down meager 230w for 5 minutes!!. Rode outside Tuesday and could hold same power for 20 minutes. I blame the old trainer and time to invest on something new, not bank breaker so cycle ops fluid 2 to the rescue
Old 09-14-17, 09:00 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Weeknight cx race tonight. Was fun except apparently I'm not very good at bleeding hydraulic brakes yet. Going to have to redo them before Saturday... Had a few scary moments and two falls. One because I'm a dumbass and tried to run cleats on pavement instead of just bunny hopping a curb. The other because I need new cleats and couldn't get unclipped coming around a corner. Also need to get some new shoes that I can run in that don't bruise my feet.

Fun timEs though, my fitness was leagues above the others in the b class race. I just can't handle a bike on dirt.
Sounds like fun and much to learn on CX
Old 09-14-17, 09:06 AM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
ditto, on both counts. -35 this morning at the beginning of a semi-recovery week. It's distorted, though, because i'm back to my normal training volume but my ctl is still partially based on my time off the bike.
-35 tsb?
Old 09-14-17, 09:11 AM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I've been doing FTP stuff in the couple of weeks since the season ended. 2x20s, 2x30s, 4x15s, etc. the 2x30 is maybe my favorite thing, they're long enough that you can get into a nice groove, but not so hard that you want to die at the end. I actually thought about doing a 3rd one when I did these on Monday, but decided the amount of time it'd take to recover from it wasn't worth the extra interval. I think I'll try to work myself up to 2x45 at the same watts or higher, since there are a few months until base starts and I basically get to do whatever I want thru the end of October.
Just curious what % of ftp are the intervals?
Old 09-14-17, 09:16 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been doing FTP stuff in the couple of weeks since the season ended. 2x20s, 2x30s, 4x15s, etc. the 2x30 is maybe my favorite thing, they're long enough that you can get into a nice groove, but not so hard that you want to die at the end. I actually thought about doing a 3rd one when I did these on Monday, but decided the amount of time it'd take to recover from it wasn't worth the extra interval. I think I'll try to work myself up to 2x45 at the same watts or higher, since there are a few months until base starts and I basically get to do whatever I want thru the end of October.
damn...no time off?
Old 09-14-17, 09:17 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by TexMac
Sounds like fun and much to learn on CX
I've been "racing" cx for the past 4 years, maybe two seasons where I do a bunch of races. I take it as just fun at the end of the long road season. Never peak or train specifically for any aspect of it. It's a way to get some intensity in October and not feel burnt out by it
Old 09-14-17, 09:24 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Just curious what % of ftp are the intervals?
I don't know honestly, I need to retest. If I pretend my FTP is accurate the 2x20's were at 100%, 2x30's at 95%.

Originally Posted by mike868y
damn...no time off?
I spent a few weeks mostly off in August when I was injured! I'm hungry for bikes and my legs are fresh.
Old 09-14-17, 09:29 AM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know honestly, I need to retest. If I pretend my FTP is accurate the 2x20's were at 100%, 2x30's at 95%.

I spent a few weeks mostly off in August when I was injured! I'm hungry for bikes and my legs are fresh.

I find it hard to do 2x20 95% ftp and can only do 1(20+10) but again, I'm still a Cat4.
Great workout and good thing you are putting in some miles.
Old 09-14-17, 09:31 AM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been "racing" cx for the past 4 years, maybe two seasons where I do a bunch of races. I take it as just fun at the end of the long road season. Never peak or train specifically for any aspect of it. It's a way to get some intensity in October and not feel burnt out by it
I've never done CX race although my commute bike is a CX , was looking forward to it this year then I broke my collarbone in April so till next year. Think it's only bike race you are guaranteed to fall
Old 09-14-17, 10:07 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I've never done CX race although my commute bike is a CX , was looking forward to it this year then I broke my collarbone in April so till next year. Think it's only bike race you are guaranteed to fall
Just get out and do it! The falls usually have a lot less consequence than any other spectacular of bike racing I've done.
Old 09-14-17, 10:35 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
-35 tsb?
Yup. That'll change soon, though, since the retina of my right eye decided to partially detach itself from the eyeball. Operation today, return to the bike unknown at this point...shouldn't be long, I hope.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-14-17, 10:39 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yeah, the falls in CX tend to be very low speed, like you miss a tight turn and fall into a bush. Or my most embarrassing one was trying to dismount but getting my cleat caught in the pedal and basically coasting into a barrier sidesaddle.
Old 09-14-17, 10:58 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yeah, the falls in CX tend to be very low speed, like you miss a tight turn and fall into a bush. Or my most embarrassing one was trying to dismount but getting my cleat caught in the pedal and basically coasting into a barrier sidesaddle.
I've done that. First time I did it was at a local practice in a park. There was a very attractive blonde walking her dog right by a set of stairs, and I tried to be super cool about dismounting and running up the stairs - mind you, this was probably my second time doing any sort of cross effort - right leg came out and around and hit the ground and I started to run.

That's when I realized the left leg was still clipped in.

I went flying, face first into the ground.

It hurt quite a bit. I pretended it didn't.
Old 09-14-17, 11:09 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Last year I went down pretty hard during a CX race. On a straightaway I got caught in a tree root going parallel with me and went over the bars going somewhere around 15-20.....nothing broken but I couldn't move my wrist for a few weeks.

That was entirely on whoever set up the course though, and after 2 other guys went down in similar fashion they finally changed it. That's probably the worst it gets in CX, usually its much tamer.
Old 09-14-17, 11:27 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
3x20 @ 88, 92, and 89% today. it's def a little more uncomfortable based on 250w versus 240w lol
Old 09-14-17, 01:48 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just get out and do it! The falls usually have a lot less consequence than any other spectacular of bike racing I've done.
Till next season, need collarbone heal properly before attempting a dive to the ground
Old 09-14-17, 01:51 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Last year I went down pretty hard during a CX race. On a straightaway I got caught in a tree root going parallel with me and went over the bars going somewhere around 15-20.....nothing broken but I couldn't move my wrist for a few weeks.

That was entirely on whoever set up the course though, and after 2 other guys went down in similar fashion they finally changed it. That's probably the worst it gets in CX, usually its much tamer.
on tarmac that would've hurt bad and yes, most CX I've seen are done during rain/winter season and ground much softer or grass so the impact is not bad.
Old 09-14-17, 02:02 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Yup. That'll change soon, though, since the retina of my right eye decided to partially detach itself from the eyeball. Operation today, return to the bike unknown at this point...shouldn't be long, I hope.
sounds painful, best luck healing. When I hit -35 i feel like my body stops getting fit and starts detraining but we are all different.
Old 09-15-17, 05:53 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Took the cross bike up to the park where the race will be tomorrow. Rode the ~15 miles there on the road at 50psi, didn't decrease pressure and just ripped it through the trails. Going to be some good dirt tomorrow, but it was thick, heavy and stuck to everything today since it rained this morning.

Also, coming up tomorrow, is the last crit of the year. Going to be a busy day. CX in the morning (10:30) Crit at 5:00. And if my legs have anyhting left I'll jump into the 7PM crit too just for ****s.
Old 09-15-17, 07:43 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
100 miles today because bikes and because birthday.
Old 09-16-17, 08:30 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Local ex-pro joined us on the saturday morning ride. We are chugging uphill at the limit, I'm trying to gasp as quietly as possible, the pro is casually chatting away. He asks my buddy a question, no response for a bit, finally my buddy wheezes "how can you talk, I'm working too hard to even listen!"

At one point after I fell off the pace I said to a fellow pace-faller-offer, I'm going to PR this hill and still finish a minute behind the guy. Sure enough, that's what happened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.