Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can you feel the hate?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Can you feel the hate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20, 05:56 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
There is a world of difference between alleged "public threats" directed at cyclists (or any other group) by the numerous wingnuts who comment"/rant on social media sites that are designed to encourage such electronic frothing, and actual physical threats and menacing gestures made in person on the street where actual physical contact is possible.
Stating the obvious. But my comment was about the public threats on social media.

Old 11-09-20, 01:46 PM
mrMike88

Bikes: Spalding Blade Vintage 12-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't read any of the social media or articles that are described. I have an older-looking bike to go with me, an older-looking fellow, and in our neighborhood and surrounding areas, I notice that people's behavior tends to be pretty polite. If ... they ... see ... me. But I try to ride the same way I drive which is not too far from 100% belief that drivers are out to hit me and behave accordingly.
Old 11-09-20, 02:59 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
We are the other. Ten motorists roll through a stop sign and motorists think those are just bad drivers. One cyclist rolls through the stop sign, and motorists think the cyclist is demonstrating the lawlessness of all cyclists. As the other, we are freeloading rule breaking drags on society.
Whenever somebody mentions bicyclists rolling past stop signs I make this offer: "Meet me at an intersection of your choice that has four stop signs. For every car that comes to a full and complete stop, I'll hand you a dollar bill. For every car that doesn't make a full stop, you hand me a dollar." I've never found anybody willing to take me up on that offer.
Old 11-09-20, 03:38 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
I am avoiding responding but I like your answer. I was reading through a recent post last night and the responses were really pissing me off and I started typing my response but stopped because I knew that would lead down the hole you mention above and really piss me off.
Turned the tablet off and went to bed.
The really big issue is that, even if you provide an answer or comment that *you* feel is logical and exudes common sense, someone will find a way to pervert and twist what you wrote and use it as a reason to diss you.

You're not going to win, or even get some semblance of your point across, because "it's hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man (or person)". You made a great choice in your actions.
Old 11-11-20, 12:19 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
The really big issue is that, even if you provide an answer or comment that *you* feel is logical and exudes common sense, someone will find a way to pervert and twist what you wrote and use it as a reason to diss you.

You're not going to win, or even get some semblance of your point across, because "it's hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man (or person)". You made a great choice in your actions.
For this exact reason, I have chosen to place a handful of people here on my ignore list. Don’t want or need the conflict or want to see how they bait or insult others. Life is too short. Carry on.

Old 11-16-20, 09:03 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Because the internet is so good at knowing what my interests are based on all my browsing history, I am receiving more news articles related to local biking news. This year has had a big impact on cycling with everyone home and getting involved by buying, fixing and riding bikes and it seems some of my communities are responding by committing to more bike infrastructure to help cyclists out. My nearest city has committed to an extra 40 km’s in bike lanes throughout the downtown core for 2021.

What I find shocking is the backlash against these changes by the pro car/anti cyclist people. Any time I see a news article on social media, the comments section is hundreds of post long with people for or against and a lot of hatred between the two. It really disturbs me to see what some of these anti cyclist people say about this and almost scares me to be on the road knowing some of these people really want to prove their point?

Some of ongoing issues are cyclists should be licensed, they should pay extra taxes for these changes to bike lanes, they shouldn’t be allowed on certain roads or that they should grow up and stop riding bikes! Really?

I drive a car and I ride a bike so I pay taxes and appreciate both for what they are. I will admit there are some cyclists who are bad apples and give us all a bad name, but guess what – the same goes for drivers! Cyclists usually don’t kill people when they get in an accident!

Anyone else noticing this dividing issue or am I just more sensitive to it now in this COVID year?
I see it somewhat when I was living in DTLA. Some friend (half jokingly,) said they would run me over, if they saw in front of their car, while on my bike.
Old 11-16-20, 09:06 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
That sentiment has been around for as long as I can remember. When a cyclist gets hit by a car, read the comments on the news story. Much of our country is strongly anti-bicycle.
That's because American culture is deeply intertwined with the automobile. I lived in DTLA for a while and there was a deep anti cycling hate.
Old 11-16-20, 11:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Haven’t had any issues for 3 years. Perhaps they are taking pity on an old guy.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-17-20, 11:47 AM
SpeedRanger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Yesterday was a new one. Waiting far back at an intersection red, a gentleman rolled down his passenger window to tell me he would be turning right once the light turns green.
I thanked him for the heads up and we went on our way. no problem, no hate today.
Likes For SpeedRanger:
Old 11-17-20, 05:35 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Passing the the Live Oak Cyn/Santiago Cyn T in the OC Sunday, a man waiting at the stop sign in his SUV yelled at me to shove my front blinking light up my @@@. I just grinned and shook my head. Road rage at a blinking light, what's next?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-17-20, 11:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Passing the the Live Oak Cyn/Santiago Cyn T in the OC Sunday, a man waiting at the stop sign in his SUV yelled at me to shove my front blinking light up my @@@. I just grinned and shook my head. Road rage at a blinking light, what's next?
Rectal aside, you know he saw it.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-18-20, 04:12 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my region the big problem is most roads that you want to ride on do NOT have a shoulder, so you are affecting traffic mostly on hills, and drivers do not like to be delayed even a few seconds. They are often aggressive, rude and don't understand that we are unprotected and vulnerable. I have had cars and trucks pass me with inches to spare. It seems they are purposely trying to scare me sometimes to teach me a lesson. That lesson being don't ride your bike around here.
Old 11-18-20, 08:18 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Our society creates and encourages bullies like watering garbage creates mushrooms....
Especially true over the last 4 years!

Best regards
Old 11-18-20, 10:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It is all because people seem to be getting more entitled, self centered and egotistical. If you are doing something they dont do or like, you are scum.

Karma is great tho. For years I have had really good friends give me basically hell for riding my bikes. Now that I am 82 and one of the oldest in the group, I am in better health than almost all of them. So far I have held my tongue and have said nothing about the fact that biking has kept me quite heathy. My good health is maybe due in part to good genes, but I really do think continuing to ride contributes a good part to it. Again-------------- if you set you rust.

Last edited by rydabent; 11-18-20 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-21-20, 01:08 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Not at all.
On all social media platforms here in the north Jersey area, cyclists and motorists get along amazingly well.
Each group offers a ton of support and helpful advice every time something is posted and I have yet to see even one negative response in thousands of posts.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-22-20, 09:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Because cyclists who wear 100% cyclist specific clothing tend to be jerks and ride dangerously on the road.

That is my experience where I live. It may not be true elsewhere.

I don't wear any cycling-specific item, including my footwear and helmet. Whenever I pass someone with 100% cycling specific clothing, they will really try hard to chase me even if the traffic does not permit it safely. They ride like it's a video game, cutting off cars just to get a pass at me.

I've even seen some (clubbies) racing each other without regards to traffic. It's even worse if advanced club members are riding together.
Even tho I am an exclusive bent rider, both LWB bent and a trike, and dont really need a "cycling kit", I still wear a helmet and cycling shoes.
Old 11-22-20, 11:26 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Because cyclists who wear 100% cyclist specific clothing tend to be jerks and ride dangerously on the road..
Judging people by the clothes they wear?

I am a member of 2 road clubs, one with 500 members and the other is around 120 members. Virtually all of these people wear cycling clothing and the vast majority of them are not jerks and only a few ride dangerously. The ones I ride with are friendly, welcoming, and they even stop at red lights.

The riders I have encountered on the road. including some pros, have been friendly, willing to chat, and it's rare I get any feelings of negativity from them. Sure, there are dufuses in every part of society but road cyclists have mostly been a positive experience for me in over 35 years of club and group riding.
Old 11-22-20, 11:31 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Even tho I am an exclusive bent rider, both LWB bent and a trike, and dont really need a "cycling kit", I still wear a helmet and cycling shoes.
All of the bent riders I have ridden with wear cycling clothes, or at least athletic type materials. Some bent specific jerseys have pockets in front and their shorts don't have a chamois.
One loudmouth jerkwad who used to ride with us was a bent rider. You don't have to be a roadie to be a jerk.
Old 11-22-20, 11:37 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
So, the clothes you wear make you act a certain way? I'm feeling the hate, lol...
Old 11-22-20, 11:40 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I rather doubt that women feel the same way, but one nice thing about being in shape and wearing road kit is that I get the occasional whistle from the sidewalk or rolled down window. Yeah, this is a Navy town, but still. No hate there.
Old 11-22-20, 11:43 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I rather doubt that women feel the same way, but one nice thing about being in shape and wearing road kit is that I get the occasional whistle from the sidewalk or rolled down window. Yeah, this is a Navy town, but still. No hate there.
LOL...now THAT’S the kind of driver response we need more of!
Old 11-22-20, 03:53 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot321
In my region the big problem is most roads that you want to ride on do NOT have a shoulder, so you are affecting traffic mostly on hills, and drivers do not like to be delayed even a few seconds. They are often aggressive, rude and don't understand that we are unprotected and vulnerable. I have had cars and trucks pass me with inches to spare. It seems they are purposely trying to scare me sometimes to teach me a lesson. That lesson being don't ride your bike around here.
The shortest ride back from my LBS requires riding up a long, narrow 2 lane road with a decent condition 4 foot shoulder. That would be fine but the usual motor vehicles are giant loaded dump trucks (the kind with extra weight bearing wheels in the middle). We often share the hill, downshifting like crazy as we struggle to get to the top. When we do both the truck drivers and I salute each other, laughing at our shared challenge.
Likes For BEC111:
Old 11-22-20, 08:15 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I just resumed riding this year after a 25 year break (medical issue). I guess things are different here in California, the drivers have mostly been really nice. At least once a week I'll be waiting at a stop sign, one foot on the ground, and cars - with no stop sign - stop for me. People passing me and turning right look out for me. It wasn't like this in the 1900s. Riding in Pittsburgh PA in the 70s was pretty scary.

Last edited by frizzen; 11-23-20 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-27-20, 12:29 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
The downtown core where I live did a lot of construction recently to improve the infrastructure which then required them to re-pave the roads. I like what they did but wondering how this will go over with motorists in summer at prime cycling season? This road goes around Lake Ontario (hence the name Lakeshore Road) and is very popular on the weekends for cyclists and motorists alike.

Old 12-06-20, 11:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

I am old enough that all this reminds me of Dogpatch and Al Capp. He invented the group known as S.W.I.N.E. Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.