Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chicago area CVers Meetup and Ride!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chicago area CVers Meetup and Ride!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 10:44 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
If you plan to drive your car, consider parking at Recreation Drive, AKA North Belmont Harbor Dr. If coming from the west or north: Take Irving Park Rd east until you pass under Lake Shore Drive and follow the road south. There might be parking along the tennis courts and more parking can be found along the harbor further south. be ready to pay for Chicago parking.

see: https://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Ch...64255&geocode=

Why don't we change the second meet-up location to the Lakefront bikepath @ North Belmont Harbor Dr. There is a drinking fountain just southwest of this location.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-03-09 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 10:53 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Sounds good. I'm not exactly certain where the water fountain is, but the Totem Pole is right there. We shouldn't have any problem finding each other, as long as we have an expected headcount.

If you click on Aerial Photo, the totem pole is immediately northeast of the red star on your location.
Old 11-03-09, 11:00 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
In order to avoid leaving somebody behind, especially since some people are coming long distances, how about a list of who plans to show up. I'll try to add names here. Some people haven't made it clear which ride they plan to make. If you list what you plan to be riding, I can add that too for identification.

Lakefront Path in Chicago @ Ardmore & Sheridan @ 8:40am and North Belmont Harbor Dr @ 9AM
bibliobob - something really nice
Barrettscv - red Paramount
Chicago Al
Jasmijo
Night Tiger
DVC45 - Paramount
slushlover2 - Saroni red Colnago or a chrome Paramount
Big Chainring
gioscinelli (?)

Fox River in Aurora, across the street from Aurora Police 350 N River St, Aurora, IL
beech333 - blue Fuji America
garage sale GT - Gitane Criterium
Big Chainring
r0ckh0und (pending)

Last edited by beech333; 11-05-09 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Edit names and changed from "North Branch" to "Lakefront Path"
Old 11-03-09, 11:11 AM
Jasmijo

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Sputnik, a couple of old mixtes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count me in for Sunday. I most likely will not be on a C&V bike...
Old 11-03-09, 11:22 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Good idea! However, the City ride will be "Lakefront Path," rather than North Branch Trail. I think that you can add Night Tiger to the Lakefront ride list as well.
Old 11-03-09, 11:27 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by beech333
In order to avoid leaving somebody behind, especially since some people are coming long distances, how about a list of who plans to show up. I'll try to add names here. Some people haven't made it clear which ride they plan to make. If you list what you plan to be riding, I can add that too for identification.

Lakefront Path in Chicago
bibliobob - something really nice
cb400bill (pending) - Viscount
Barrettscv - red Schwinn Paramount
Chicago Al
Jasmijo
Night Tiger

Fox River in Aurora
beech333 - blue Fuji America
slushlover2 - Saroni red Colnago or a chrome Paramount
garage sale GT - Gitane Criterium
r0ckh0und (pending)
That location is incorrect for the Sunday Chicago ride. The updated location is along the Lakefront Bike Path. The meeting places are Ardmore & Sheridan @ 8:40am and North Belmont Harbor Dr @ 9AM.

If coming by car from the west or north: Take Irving Park Rd east until you pass under Lake Shore Drive and follow the road south. There might be parking along the tennis courts and more parking can be found along the harbor further south. Be ready to pay for Chicago parking.

The second meet-up location is the Lakefront bikepath @ North Belmont Harbor Dr. There is a drinking fountain just southwest of this location.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-03-09 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 11:32 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Yes, that location is incorrect for the Sunday Chicago ride. The updated location is along the Lakefront Bike Path. The meeting places are Ardmore & Sheridan @ 8:40am and North Belmont Harbor Dr @ 9AM.

If coming by car from the west or north: Take Irving Park Rd east until you pass under Lake Shore Drive and follow the road south. There might be parking along the tennis courts and more parking can be found along the harbor further south. Be ready to pay for Chicago parking.

see: https://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Ch...&geocode=BLOCK

The second meet-up location is the Lakefront bikepath @ North Belmont Harbor Dr. There is a drinking fountain just southwest of this location.
Out of curiosity, I tried your link and it didn't work for me.
Old 11-03-09, 11:33 AM
Jasmijo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
...I'll be the guy on a light blue Miyata touring, wearing incorrect shoes and clothing.
Oh yeah, not only will I not be riding C&V, I will also be in incorrect clothes and shoes, Chicago Al style.
Old 11-03-09, 12:11 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by beech333
Out of curiosity, I tried your link and it didn't work for me.
It's been updated: https://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Ch...64255&geocode=
Old 11-03-09, 12:41 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
aww damn! I'm sad I'll be missing these rides. I know Night Tiger and just met BiblioBob. I would have loved to have rolled in on my old blue LeTour.
Old 11-03-09, 12:43 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
So, Sunday it is?
I think I'll make it. I rode just awhile ago (10mi) and it was 45deg and I did just fine.
Old 11-03-09, 12:53 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasmijo
Oh yeah, not only will I not be riding C&V, I will also be in incorrect clothes and shoes, Chicago Al style.
That makes three of us. But I'm sure I'll be ridding a vintage bike. I just have to decide which one to ride. More likely my Schwinn Taiwanamount ('91 Paramount).
I'll start at Montrose coz its free parking there. Then will meet up with you guys at Sheridan.

Last edited by DVC45; 11-03-09 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 02:46 PM
Night Tiger

Bikes: 1983 Cilo, 1980 Mercier, 1981 Viner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm definitely in and will meet up with you guys at Belmont. Bummer that Primitive Don can't make it, I'm dying to see the latest incarnation of the Le Tour!
Old 11-03-09, 02:47 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here is my old Gitane. I am not sure which model or year it is, but believe it to be a 1980 Criterium.

Anyway, I will probabaly be one of the few c&v guys with a sprung seatpost and a Bell MTB saddle (not pictured), because comfort is more important than form and I want my rear axle to last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010266.jpg (99.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 11-03-09, 03:08 PM
bibliobob

Well, I'll be in correct clothes, if you consider combat trousers and touring shoes to be correct. Because it's a special occasion, I may wear one of my itchy wool vintage jerseys.

Sorry that we'll miss you Don! Another time? I'm off on 11 Nov (Veterans Day) if you want to play hookey from work and go for a ride with Paul and me.

Glad that DVC45, CB400Bill, and everyone else will be making an appearance! I think that I'll ride either the Rauler or the Olmo (Don't need the Merckx ergoshifters for a social ride, and the Butler's vintage 28s weigh about a pound each (though they look great).

If my wife comes, she'll likely bring her Harry Quinn, may he rest in peace!
Old 11-03-09, 05:01 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Hi, I was informed of a ride along the Chicago's lake front for this Sunday Nov 8th, by Paul G. Where is the start and official time? Thank you, gioscinelli
Old 11-03-09, 05:46 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by gioscinelli
Hi, I was informed of a ride along the Chicago's lake front for this Sunday Nov 8th, by Paul G. Where is the start and official time? Thank you, gioscinelli
The meeting places are Ardmore & Sheridan @ 8:40am and North Belmont Harbor Dr @ 9AM.

Old 11-03-09, 05:56 PM
slushlover2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, it looks like Sunday is going to be the larger ride. I am going to ride Sunday instead of the Saturday ride. I would like to get in a longer ride. Would it be possible for me to meet someone at their home who is riding a ways to the start? I am not very familiar with Chicago but I have GPS.
Thanks,Dick
Old 11-03-09, 07:00 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Hey, Dick:

It'll probably be easier for you to orient yourself by going to the lakefront itself. The city is not hard to navigate but it can get a little convoluted with one way streets, etc. I can send you directions and we can exchange phone #s in case you need guidance for the last part of the trip.
Old 11-03-09, 07:10 PM
Jasmijo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slushlover2
Would it be possible for me to meet someone at their home who is riding a ways to the start?
I live only about two miles from the starting point, but you're welcome to park over by me. Anyone can PM me to park over by my house and then ride over together. But, since I live so close there is probably no real advantage.
Old 11-03-09, 07:39 PM
r0ckh0und 

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
I'm pretty sure I can make saturday but I'll post up Friday afternoon/evening for sure. If I'm there I'll be riding this red Trek 400.
Old 11-03-09, 07:40 PM
bibliobob

I live near Howard and Sheridan (7600 N. Sheridan Rd.), if anyone wants to ride with us from there. We'd have to leave by 08:20, in order to get to Ardmore by 08:40. So, if anyone wants to meet at my place by 08:00, there would be time for checking tires, filling water bottles, coffee, bathroom break, etc. Just let me know if you're interested, and I'll give you the address.

We haven't really discussed speed or stopping point. If we have enough people and interest, we could always split to two groups at some point. One group could turn around at McCormick Place and others could continue south before turning around. FYI, a full loop of the lakefront path is around 40 miles, if I recall correctly (from my house to 63rd st. and back). So, we should be able to accomodate all desires.

Also, we could designate a post ride lunch meetup? There's a hamburger stand at Diversey Harbor (2800 north, just west of LSD), but I'm not certain if they're open this late in the season. The other option is Moody's Pub (5910 N. Broadway). Their patio's closed for the season, but I called there and they said that we could stow bikes on the patio while we ate or had a beer. They also have a parking lot for those who might want to drive up from Belmont. Their specialty is their hamburgers.
Old 11-03-09, 07:42 PM
r0ckh0und 

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
.........this red Trek 400
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
September Bikes 002.jpg (102.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-03-09, 07:47 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Tom Skilling says this is going to be a nice weekend. I'm up for both rides. I'll be on my Blue Rickert, and weearing blue jersey and black knickers. See you guys Saturday and Sunday
Old 11-03-09, 07:48 PM
bibliobob

Originally Posted by gioscinelli
Hi Mike! Bob here ( who bought the high flange Normandy/Mavic wheelset from you). Glad to hear that you might be coming. Feel free to start at my house, or meet us at the top of the path at Ardmore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.