Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 08:18 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
i love honey nut cheerios. it's so funny that by sticking the name 'honey' in there we all believe there is something -- anything -- healthy about it.

i think regular cheerios might be one of the only cereals that is actually somewhat healthy, but those are terrible!
I miss cereal. I haven't bought any in a few months to curtail that habit. Unfortunately, I think I've replaced it with a peanut butter problem. Might be better off with the cereal tbh.

(Also, check out the toasted rice and the oat blenders that come in the generic bags. Worse for oyu than cheerios, but not quite as bad as so many other.)

If my coworkers would stop bringing pastries in for the team, I might be able to make race weight some day.. Not. Engineers have this fascination with donuts and sugary treats that is inexplicable to me.
Old 03-08-18, 08:34 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Kids cereal is my "I'm staying in a hotel with free breakfast treat." I never have it at home.
Old 03-08-18, 08:53 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Honestly one of the best side effects of going plant based has been that now I have an excuse to refuse the majority of those office treats 😅

The Krispy kremes used to get me every damn time... I feel your pain. And then if you try to stay strong and resist, it tires you out a bit mentally (for real, ego depletion, it's a thing... Just don't be the guy proposing to ban sugary treats at the office for the sake of productivity, not a way to gain popularity points)
Old 03-08-18, 08:53 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
i love honey nut cheerios. it's so funny that by sticking the name 'honey' in there we all believe there is something -- anything -- healthy about it.

i think regular cheerios might be one of the only cereals that is actually somewhat healthy, but those are terrible!
Cereals were initially considered healthy because they prevented the evil of ************ - I'm not kidding you. They transitioned that to low-fat is healthy even though it is all high GI carbs.

Kellogg (like Corn Flakes) was a quack https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_H...akfast_cereals

Quaker
Oats

Can't say 'asterbation? Lame
Old 03-08-18, 08:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by wktmeow
Honestly one of the best side effects of going plant based has been that now I have an excuse to refuse the majority of those office treats 😅

The Krispy kremes used to get me every damn time... I feel your pain. And then if you try to stay strong and resist, it tires you out a bit mentally (for real, ego depletion, it's a thing... Just don't be the guy proposing to ban sugary treats at the office for the sake of productivity, not a way to gain popularity points)
I've eaten veggie before. But I did it try out for health reasons.

Slowly working through the remaining meat I have at home with a plan to cut way back once it's gone. Probably just to fish and the occasional dish where it's impolite to refuse. Mostly ethics now, just based on some of the stuff I read about the industry and friends I know that have been vegan / veggie for a long time that still compete on a high level.
Old 03-08-18, 09:03 PM
jacksonhandy

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Then I guess I need to ask, should someone with a decent base decouple that much over a 1 hour workout?
Honestly, I’m learning and don’t really fully understand the concept. I don’t think so? Not decoupling is indicative of good aerobic endurance, so having a decent base, holding power constant, having reduced drift is better.
Old 03-08-18, 11:16 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
personally i find this to be a challenge when not living alone -- esp with a kid.

for example, i can be super disciplined, but my wife may bring home something tempting -- and my kid constantly has stuff around that i find very hard to resist.

it all falls on the shoulders of the person putting the food in their mouth, but those things do not make it any easier.

doesn't help that i have a huge sweet tooth and basically love all the carb-rich foods we have around for my kid.
+1 - no coincidence my tenuous weight before kids has climbed since kids. the cereal is theirs, and they don't even eat it all >.<
Old 03-08-18, 11:57 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
garmin shows np 302. strava shows weighed average 263. both show same average power. who's right?
Old 03-09-18, 12:51 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
How does anyone even survive without cereal? Like what does breakfast consist of?? I mean weekends with unlimited time we can cook up some bacon and eggs, but a normal weekday?

Also I assume shredded wheat, corn flakes, not overly sweet raisin bran, corn flakes are all decently healthy compared to some cereals. I do like honey nut cheerios though. I like corn flakes and honey nut cheerios before a ride cuz they aren't loaded in fiber, and are easily digested.
Old 03-09-18, 04:22 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
oatmeal.

you can literally make old fashioned oats in the microwave in like six minutes.

1/2 cup oatmeal
handful of raisins
handful of nuts
some blueberries
a banana

put it in a big bowl and nuke it.

I've been eating that for longer than most of you have been alive.

The amount of sugar and salt in even the non-sweet stuff is simply amazing.
Old 03-09-18, 07:12 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I'm a big fan of Kashi cereal, with the bits of dried fruit in it.

I've been on a no-sweets kick lately. I gave it up for Lent - I'm not religious at all, but I try to do something for Lent each year. Sweets has been my go to the last couple of years, as I have a horrible sweet tooth. Before I got married, and started cycling and losing weight, I would eat chocolate cake for breakfast every day.

It is strange to me though how filling I find sweet carbs.

Anyway, I think I've mentioned this event before on here: Krispy Kreme Challenge, but it's been awhile. I did it once.

Once was enough.
Old 03-09-18, 08:02 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'm a big fan of Kashi cereal, with the bits of dried fruit in it.
Which? Go-Lean Crunch has the same amount of sugar as fruit loops.
Old 03-09-18, 10:34 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
Cooked oatmeal and fruit.
Old 03-09-18, 10:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Last 3 days...Over/unders on the TT bike at Fiesta...30' of low cadence tempo work on road bike in the drops plus endurance at Fiesta...An SDV track workout: warmup, accelerations, jumps, flying kilos and standing start.
Old 03-09-18, 11:43 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Ain't Fiesta great?

This morning I did a pre-race day tune up ride, put in a 9:30s lap on Fiesta (4.1 mi) without being too beat up afterwards - good sign. Even had to coast for a few seconds when some crows that were eating roadkill wouldn't move after I rounded a corner.
Old 03-09-18, 12:32 PM
wktmeow

Originally Posted by TMonk
This morning I did a pre-race day tune up ride, put in a 9:30s lap on Fiesta (4.1 mi) without being too beat up afterwards - good sign. Even had to coast for a few seconds when some crows that were eating roadkill wouldn't move after I rounded a corner.
That's proper quick on the road bike! We need to get you on a TT bike one of these days

Coach has me back to base/foundation laying work since we achieved my main goals for the season, so trying to get the motor ready before putting in for the upgrade. So, weights, and some z2 so far this week. Supposed to do another couple hours today, but I woke up with the worst frozen neck I've had in a while, so will need to see what I can manage.

Got my officially designated 'crit' bike built up, formerly known as my road bike. Moved over all the 11 speed components I took off of a parts bike, and tested it with 10 of 11 speed cogs + two spacers with the limit screw adjusted on a 10 speed wheel and it seems to work great. That means I can get some more life out of my 10 speed tubulars. Thinking I'll roll those for the crit. They have some 24mm Scwhalbe Ones, so a little wider than my usual 23mm clinchers, and tubular so I can confidently run them at lower pressure, which should help me feel a little more confident if it rains tomorrow. Plus they're light and deep and look cool to boot.
Old 03-09-18, 12:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah, I'd like to get into TT some day. I like how safe and positive it is, at least at the FITT.

Aren't you still 1 point shy? I know you're not worried about getting it but we could also try to get you that last point this weekend, and I'm sure we could barring extenuating circumstances.

My training plan is to keep my volume to 7-10 hrs with some intensity through San Dimas, then focus on some volume through April to carry me through the season. I'll keep the volume moderate on the Easter Ontario and Barrio Logan race weekends because I want to be fresher then.
Old 03-09-18, 12:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Kashi gives me gas. I can't eat it before a ride or I'll be burping the entire time. My typical breakfast is a plain omelette and coffee. I've got the timing down that I can have the eggs and moka pot done at the same time.
Old 03-09-18, 01:52 PM
wktmeow

Aren't you still 1 point shy? I know you're not worried about getting it but we could also try to get you that last point this weekend, and I'm sure we could barring extenuating circumstances.
I am, but I'd rather focus on getting points for anyone else that wants them at the moment. I'm sure I'll manage to snag a point by doing a good leadout or something, worst case I'll ask for mercy from the upgrade coordinator and point out that I would have had more points if I didn't flat at VoS last year. Not sure how strict they are here, but I'm hoping that my results are convincing enough to let me through if I'm still a point shy by then. And if not, I'll just have to fight for that last point at Ontario or something
Old 03-09-18, 02:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Ain't Fiesta great?

Fiesta is a great asset and we are fortunate to have it.

Nice lap time on the road bike. BTW, the FITT series has a Merckx division where you could ride your road bike. If you can put together 3x9:30 laps including a standing start, that is a smoking Merckx time.
Old 03-09-18, 02:21 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

With the way I was going I may have been able to cobble together a miserable 20', but IDK about 30.

At any rate I agree that I should try it out!
Old 03-09-18, 03:37 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Went up Sunset to see if the other day was a fluke. 292 in 7 minutes, 34 watts better than my best time up this year. A pothole sapped some of that, but I'll take it. Tuesday Night World's are next week and while I can't compete with the fast guys (we have too many 120 lb juniors) I really want the crush the souls of some friends that are expecting me to drop early.

Originally Posted by wktmeow
I am, but I'd rather focus on getting points for anyone else that wants them at the moment. I'm sure I'll manage to snag a point by doing a good leadout or something, worst case I'll ask for mercy from the upgrade coordinator and point out that I would have had more points if I didn't flat at VoS last year. Not sure how strict they are here, but I'm hoping that my results are convincing enough to let me through if I'm still a point shy by then. And if not, I'll just have to fight for that last point at Ontario or something
Rosena Ranch has a nice roller and great for climber / breakaway types. https://www.strava.com/segments/1113389

Last edited by furiousferret; 03-09-18 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 04:35 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Yesterday I did 12 sets of 615w x 30 second with decreasing interval between each set. I think the rest intervals started at 2:30 in length (at 150w), then decreased by 5 seconds between each interval. That was tough for me. I cramped on the 10th interval at the end and didn't quite complete it. But was able to do the 11th and 12th by spinning higher cadence. After that 10 week FTP building block, trying to build up some higher intensity capabilities.
Old 03-09-18, 07:03 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Re: breakfast - I'm a small breakfast guy on work days. A protein bar or protein shake once I get to work. Sometimes I'll do instant oatmeal if I have a tough workout in the evening.
On race days, it's a big ol' pile of oatmeal with some combination of brown sugar, dried fruit, banana, or peanut butter. Usually on weekends when I'm not racing I'll just have coffee and eat breakfast on the bike (banana or fig bar or the like).

Workout today was.. interesting. Set out to do about an hour easy with a few efforts before racing tomorrow. Dropped car off for an oil change first and had an errand to run in the middle. Turns out after changing out brake pads, they were not quite adjusted correct and rubbing. Made my easy first half hour a bit tougher than I'd planned. Some how didn't think they were bad.
Anyways, got to where I was going and the form I had wasn't filled out correctly and had to ride all over the air force base tracking down signatures and calling my boss on his day off to figure all this stuff out. Luckily we got it done and I can actually legally go to work now. Rolled it back to the auto shop after 75 minutes of riding and 2+ hours on the road.

Oh well, bikes are dialed for racing now. Time to see how the new TT position fares in a race tomorrow!
Old 03-09-18, 08:45 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
oatmeal.

you can literally make old fashioned oats in the microwave in like six minutes.

1/2 cup oatmeal
handful of raisins
handful of nuts
some blueberries
a banana

put it in a big bowl and nuke it.

I've been eating that for longer than most of you have been alive.

The amount of sugar and salt in even the non-sweet stuff is simply amazing.
Like how little of it there is?

1 cup Post shredded wheat:
0g sugar
0mg sodium
6g protein
40g carbs
1g fat
170 kcal

1 cup Kelloggs corn flakes:
3g sugar
200mg sodium
2g protein
24g carbs
0g fat
100 kcal

1.5 cup Whole Milk:
19g sugar
150mg sodium
12g protein
19g carbs
12g fat
225 kcal

Total for 1 bowl:
22g sugar
350mg sodium
20g protein
83g carbs
13g fat
495 kcal

Pour and eat. That easy.
I would need 1.5 cups of oats to get the same calories/macros, which takes more time to cook, wait til it's cool enough to eat, takes longer to eat due to being hot and voluminous, and has a somewhat gross mushy texture.

I'm sure it's slightly more healthy. I even tried to get into eating oatmeal for a few weeks once, but couldn't keep it up due to having to scrounge random extra calories and take extra time cooking and eating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.