Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 11:34 PM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2ndGen

And you even got the color right! Very nice!
Haha, thanks. I really wanted the 3 with Ultegra and the black/green frame, but those are apparently scarce as hen's teeth, at least in my size. But I do love the wheels on this, and I can't complain about the Dura ace (though I think I might have preferred Sram Red). Now I just need to get rid of those spacers!
Old 04-19-11, 04:32 PM
IndependentMind

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first post for the cult.

CAAD9-6 with a mix of Ultegra/105 and a few other goodies like a 3T ARX stem and ergonova bars. This baby got me across the finish line all last triathlon season.

The next upgrade will be the fork (currently an Ultra) if and when I can find a decent deal of ebay.

These frames rock, I only wish I would see more of them around Toronto. I also need to change out the saddle, this one is flat as a pancake after 3 seasons of riding (it's from my old bike.)

. by independent.mind, on Flickr
Old 04-19-11, 04:46 PM
lilabner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walked away with two valuable lessons today. The shoes/pedals DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. And 15-28 MPH winds made my CAAD9 feel like a tugboat LMAO!!! It was only a 10 mile ride (dat felt like 50) but Ol' boy didn't put a foot down once.

Did I say??? I want a 2nd CAAD9, so I can change out the crank. Like my Electra Glide Classic, I WANT MORE TORQ!!! hehehe
Old 04-19-11, 05:24 PM
seejohnbike
Disgruntled Grad Student

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cross Pro, Cross Comp, TK2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had an amazing weekend with the brand new CAAD10-4. Within two hours of picking up the bike from the shop, I was packing her into a team van for two days of collegiate racing in New Hampshire. Then on Monday (morning), I did the Boston marathon route out-and-back. I'm impressed with the bike, and absolutely in love with double-tap shifting.

However, the stock saddle has got to go, and the wheels are only so-so. (although I do love that the hub on stock wheels is virtually silent. While coasting on downhills, theres nothing but the sound of tires on pavement, and wind.)

Speaking of the marathon ride:
Originally Posted by bhurin
I just got back from the Boston Marathon midnight ride on my CAAD10. Wow! The bike is amazing. Quick and super responsive, it made climbing hills easy. It made Heartbreak Hill into mediocre mound! Thanks again guys for all the awesome info about CAADs.
How was this/what kind of bikers turned out? The event seemed to imply that the midnight ride would be on a closed course (which wasn't true), all inclusive, and more 'lets have fun and ride bikes!' The morning ride I was on, leaving from cleveland circle at 6am, was roadie oriented, endurance pace/group ride to the start, but then a hammerfest along the closed course back to the finish.

Last edited by seejohnbike; 04-19-11 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 05:25 PM
Shuagster
Boricua Newb Roadie

Bikes: CAAD10 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joined the Cult! CAAD10 5!

Old 04-19-11, 11:20 PM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome Shaugster! But do you intend to ride with your bars rotated that far up? Just sayin, looks awkward.
Old 04-20-11, 01:26 AM
fureshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up this CAAD9-1 frame a few months ago and after being stuck in Asia for work for almost 2 months, I've finally assembled all of the parts for it. Basically it's a full Force group with Red shifters, FSA K-Light handlebar, Fizik Arione saddle, Forte carbon seatpost and 3T ARX stem. I'll probably just use my Ksyrium Equipes on this bike as they've been indestructible thus far albeit somewhat heavy but this is going to be my main bike so durability is important. I'm expecting it to come in somewhere around 15 pounds if I'm lucky.
Old 04-20-11, 07:36 AM
Kelrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might as well add mine...
Old 04-20-11, 10:40 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
So what happened to "Optimo" aluminum tubing? Cannondale spent years making a pretty big deal about the stuff...it supposedly was proprietary, and according to their own marketing literature, which is still in the FAQ section on their website, Optimo was superior to 6061 and 6069 Al.

Yet the new CAAD10 is made with 6069. Says so in the specs.

Was Optimo just marketing BS? Or was it another signature piece of Cannondale lost in the move to Asia, fading away with the "Handmade in USA" label on the seatstays?

I love my CAAD9. I wonder about this new breed.

By the way, isn't the CAAD10 in black anodized? As cool as that is cosmetically, Jobst Brandt and a lot of technical literature have things to say about anodization of thin-walled aluminum structures and the propagation of stress fractures.
Old 04-20-11, 11:12 AM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate people who nut ride "made in the usa". Though I was born and raised in Europe.....
Old 04-20-11, 12:26 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

At the risk of sending this thread to P&R...I'm not "nut riding" made-in-the-usa. I like things that were made anywhere with collective bargaining rights, democratic elections, environmental protections, etc.

I don't like maximizing profit margins on the backs of tired, huddled masses. Wherever that may be.
Old 04-20-11, 12:41 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

So back to my question about "Optimo" alloy tubing...

Really, we were probably just marketed to all along. Remember when they said that Aluminum back ends on their bikes were superior to any full carbon offerings...until they could make (or source) a full CF bike. Remember when C'Dale reps dismissed all the exotic "shaping" of Al tubes as marketing flim-flam, stating without equivocation that round tubes were mathematically/geometrically the most ideal shape for the strongest bicycle frames...until the CAAD series moved to Taiwan.

Cannondale's bikes are good. Their marketing is GREAT, especially if the customer has a short memory. My CAAD9 is a great bike, but C'Dale's marketing folks have convinced many people that it's pure eff-ing magic...only the things that made it pure magic aren't around anymore. Now the CAAD10 is pure eff-ing magic, for reasons that once-upon-a-time made it inferior to the CAAD9. So confusing...so funny.

Last edited by Banzai; 04-21-11 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-20-11, 09:24 PM
notwist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone know what a caad10 frame + fork approximately costs? I'm tired of riding my current bike which is a bit small for my liking and am looking to move all the components over (minus the crank).
Old 04-20-11, 10:00 PM
nathan84318

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R700 CAAD7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A CAAD10 frameset run at around 1000 bucks.
Old 04-23-11, 12:01 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
So back to my question about "Optimo" alloy tubing...

Really, we were probably just marketed to all along. Remember when they said that Aluminum back ends on their bikes were superior to any full carbon offerings...until they could make (or source) a full CF bike. Remember when C'Dale reps dismissed all the exotic "shaping" of Al tubes as marketing flim-flam, stating without equivocation that round tubes were mathematically/geometrically the most ideal shape for the strongest bicycle frames...until the CAAD series moved to Taiwan.

Cannondale's bikes are good. Their marketing is GREAT, especially if the customer has a short memory. My CAAD9 is a great bike, but C'Dale's marketing folks have convinced many people that it's pure eff-ing magic...only the things that made it pure magic aren't around anymore. Now the CAAD10 is pure eff-ing magic, for reasons that once-upon-a-time made it inferior to the CAAD9. So confusing...so funny.
Cannondale aluminum bikes are just about better than anything out there.
In order to get something superior in aluminum, one would have to spend a grip-more money.
That tells you a lot.

It is what it is. Marketing or not, the ride speaks more than any catchy phrases.

Get a hold of a CAAD9 (if you don't already have one).
Take a good long look at it. Squat down and look at the frame from the rear 3/4 view.
Flip the bike upside down. Look at it from every angle. It is a frame that is built like a custom.
Every tube has thought put into it and the latest CAAD9 was the culmination of years of evolution.

The CAAD10 is a different beast. They went the route of Trek's 1.X Series.
Tapered tubing. Nice. They look like Carbon bikes.

But the CAAD9 is the last of a breed of bikes that we just don't see anymore
(unless you go to a custom builder).

It is "that" good and you won't find one CAAD10 owner who's ridden a CAAD9 speak ill of a CAAD9.

Marketing just gets people in the door. One ride is all it takes to know why CAADs
are loved and appreciated by people who ride bikes that cost 3 times as much.
Remember, you're talking about a bike that started at under $800.
Old 04-23-11, 12:15 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
At the risk of sending this thread to P&R...I'm not "nut riding" made-in-the-usa. I like things that were made anywhere with collective bargaining rights, democratic elections, environmental protections, etc.

I don't like maximizing profit margins on the backs of tired, huddled masses. Wherever that may be.
The B.S. of Dorel (Cannondale's owner now in Canada) was that they took production overseas,
got rid of a model (the CAAD9) that was more costly to make and are producing a much cheaper frameset now.
On top of all of that, they are charging way more for a CAAD10 than what they charged for CAAD9's.

I'm not saying they are in any way bad bikes. I'm just pointing out how moving production overseas was purely a business move.
The CAAD10 could've been made here just as well as it is being made in Asia (actually, I like the CAAD9's quality much better).

There is no CAAD9 VS CAAD10 arguement. They are different bikes. CAAD9's...handcrafted in The U.S. with more traditional tubing.
CAAD10's made in Asia with more machine involvement and cost far less to produce, while being more technologically advanced.

According to former CAAD9 owners, the CAAD10 rides better at leisurely speeds.
I've yet to read a review that says that the 10 puts the 9 away.
That said, I certainly would not mind owning a CAAD10-1.

Again, I'm still waiting for that 9 VS 10 direct comparison test with similarly equipped bikes under the same rider.
Old 04-23-11, 01:08 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by nathan84318
A CAAD10 frameset run at around 1000 bucks.
If you can find one. I needed a new frameset when I learned that my CAAD9 was too small, and my LBS (a Cannondale dealer) told me he couldn't get a frameset from Cannondale that didn't include "HI-MOD" in the name. I ended up with a Specialized Allez Comp E5 frameset, and it's pretty good too.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-23-11, 06:35 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Are we deluded? https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post12546948
Old 04-23-11, 08:42 PM
eecc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My brand new CAAD10-4. Everything is stock, I have added ultegra spd-sl pedals, c'dale immix cages, pro3 tires, cateye wireless. Weighs in at 18lb as pictured.

Old 04-23-11, 10:29 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by 2ndGen
It is what it is. Marketing or not, the ride speaks more than any catchy phrases.

Get a hold of a CAAD9 (if you don't already have one).
Take a good long look at it.
I own a CAAD9. I really like it.

It's still all marketing. The marketing has been brilliant, and a lot of people have bought it hook, line, and sinker. Watch Cannondale's marketing videos now, and they'll tell you all the reasons the CAAD10 is such a superior bike. A few years ago they were telling everyone why those very same design particulars made a bike INFERIOR to the CAAD9. It's hilarious. Doesn't make me dislike my CAAD9, it just cracks me up.

I'll ride my CAAD9 tomorrow, and I'll love it just as much as the last time I rode it...but I won't turn into a gibbering fool for the marketing behind it.
Old 04-23-11, 11:27 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eecc
My brand new CAAD10-4. Everything is stock, I have added ultegra spd-sl pedals, c'dale immix cages, pro3 tires, cateye wireless. Weighs in at 18lb as pictured.
Nice! Congratulations.
Old 04-23-11, 11:28 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I own a CAAD9. I really like it.

It's still all marketing. The marketing has been brilliant, and a lot of people have bought it hook, line, and sinker. Watch Cannondale's marketing videos now, and they'll tell you all the reasons the CAAD10 is such a superior bike. A few years ago they were telling everyone why those very same design particulars made a bike INFERIOR to the CAAD9. It's hilarious. Doesn't make me dislike my CAAD9, it just cracks me up.

I'll ride my CAAD9 tomorrow, and I'll love it just as much as the last time I rode it...but I won't turn into a gibbering fool for the marketing behind it.
So the tube shaping is "marketing" to you?
The ride quality is "marketing" to you?
Your love for it is "marketing" to you?
Old 04-24-11, 01:07 AM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I made a possible mistake, which would is kind of embarrassing.

I had a fitting done, and apparently, my awesome CAAD9 is just slightly too big for me. I have a 52, should've gone with a 50 [technically, I should ride a 51.5cm frame. Funny world.] After some tweaks and adjustments, it fits fine, although it looks somewhat aesthetically unpleasing. Rides fabulous, but pretty much resigned to a 80mm stem [which I'm used to.] and maybe getting a Compact handlebar. Alas, there is smidgen of seatpost showing albeit with adequate saddle to handlebar drop.

Well, folks. Grin and deal with it? It's not that big of an issue, but I'm a very neurotic type when it comes to sizing.
Anyway, the frame is amazing. Super stiff, you want to go, and it follows suit. Awesome stuff, the CAAD9.
Old 04-24-11, 06:11 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I had a fitting done, and apparently, my awesome CAAD9 is just slightly too big for me.
Mine was too small; lesson learned for both of us. I ended up with a Specialized Allez Comp 61cm frameset. A CAAD10 60cm frame would've been borderline too small as well. I'm getting a 61cm Synapse Carbon 5 in June and should be set for years - two good bikes that fit. And yes, I know that the number of bikes you need is N+1.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-24-11, 11:33 AM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepy
So I made a possible mistake, which would is kind of embarrassing.

I had a fitting done, and apparently, my awesome CAAD9 is just slightly too big for me. I have a 52, should've gone with a 50 [technically, I should ride a 51.5cm frame. Funny world.] After some tweaks and adjustments, it fits fine, although it looks somewhat aesthetically unpleasing. Rides fabulous, but pretty much resigned to a 80mm stem [which I'm used to.] and maybe getting a Compact handlebar. Alas, there is smidgen of seatpost showing albeit with adequate saddle to handlebar drop.

Well, folks. Grin and deal with it? It's not that big of an issue, but I'm a very neurotic type when it comes to sizing.
Anyway, the frame is amazing. Super stiff, you want to go, and it follows suit. Awesome stuff, the CAAD9.
If it's too small for you, you were fitted wrong. That is the LBS's responsibility.
I wouldn't settle for it. Get your proper size. It's not only the right thing for them to do,
but your physical conditioning depends on it. You shouldn't have to concede to the bike.
It should fit you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.