Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 07:14 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
Yes Ron I was referred to a Urologist, and a big weight was lifted with the good news,,,,,,
Don't forget to keep an eye on the following. VERY important as one ages......PSAFT - Clinical: Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA), Total and Free, Serum
Old 03-23-16, 06:02 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Yes Ron I was referred to a Urologist, and a big weight was lifted with the good news,,,,,,
As a comment on typical prostate enlargement issues, I recently started taking Tamsulosin (Flomax) and it has made a huge difference. I'm back to getting up usually only once during the night, no more of that sudden urgency where I'm struggling to hold it until I can find a bathroom, and a nice strong stream when I do go. It started working after the very first dose. There's been only one side effect that they do warn you about, but I've managed to get used to it (and it's worth being able to pee normally!).
Old 03-23-16, 06:59 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I'll be 66 this April,,,so is this the place where I can talk about my swollen prostate??
Your prostate, grandchildren, hip replacements and pie. Yep, welcome to the over 65 Cycling Forum.
Old 03-23-16, 08:47 AM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
Your prostate, grandchildren, hip replacements and pie. Yep, welcome to the over 65 Cycling Forum.
Thank you smoore , there are a varity of topics here ,,,,
Old 03-23-16, 08:50 AM
Fastfingaz

Originally Posted by DougG
As a comment on typical prostate enlargement issues, I recently started taking Tamsulosin (Flomax) and it has made a huge difference. I'm back to getting up usually only once during the night, no more of that sudden urgency where I'm struggling to hold it until I can find a bathroom, and a nice strong stream when I do go. It started working after the very first dose. There's been only one side effect that they do warn you about, but I've managed to get used to it (and it's worth being able to pee normally!).
Yes I was prescribed Flowmax,, it does make a world of a difference ,, I really didn't know how bad off I was till I started taking it ,,, now I didn't get the down side from the Dr. but I have experienced something out of norm,,,
Old 03-23-16, 08:52 AM
Fastfingaz

[QUOTE=OldTryGuy;18629411]Don't forget to keep an eye on the following. VERY important as one ages......PSAFT - Clinical: Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA), Total and Free, Serum[/QUOT I have a follow up in April and will discuss that with the Doctor,,,,
Old 03-23-16, 09:38 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Yes I was prescribed Flowmax,, it does make a world of a difference ,, I really didn't know how bad off I was till I started taking it ,,, now I didn't get the down side from the Dr. but I have experienced something out of norm,,,
We're probably talking about the same thing, which is not an issue of function, but a bit weird at first...
Old 03-28-16, 03:08 PM
Fastfingaz

Hey triguy real good information there, thanks for posting, my uncle Ruben died
Old 03-28-16, 03:09 PM
Fastfingaz

Of prostate cancer at 64
Old 04-05-16, 11:26 PM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thus far at 67 my prostate has not enlarged in as much as I routinely strive to keep it empty.
Old 04-06-16, 08:12 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Just a quick reminder for you folks. My PSA numbers were low (2.1) when the VA doc did the finger test and said my prostate was not symmetrical. One side had a "bump" on it. I was referred to a urologist. The uro did the finger test and PSA. Said he'd keep an eye on things. Had a PSA test every 3 months. After a year it was only 2.6 but the uro said the increase was too fast and he wanted to do an MRI. Had the prostate MRI and 6 cancer areas were detected. He did a biopsy on those 6 areas and the results were 4 slow growing, 2 fast growing. He said because they were fast growing that I shouldn't put off my decision about surgery or treatment for more that 6 months. It took less than 5 minutes to decide. Had the surgery and fortunately the cancer had not spread beyond the prostate.
Don't always go by low PSA numbers. Get the feel test also. It saved my life.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-09-16, 03:18 PM
RonH
Life is good

I'm thinking about selling the wheels that came on the Cannondale. Its tough riding those deep wheels when its windy (like it was today). I'm thinking of replacing the wheels with something like Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels.
I asking you 65+ folks for thoughts on these wheels or suggestions for other comfortable (not deep) wheels for my bike. Remember, they have to look good on my bike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0525.jpg (74.7 KB, 76 views)

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-10-16, 05:24 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by RonH
I'm thinking about selling the wheels that came on the Cannondale. Its tough riding those deep wheels when its windy (like it was today). I'm thinking of replacing the wheels with something like Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels.
I asking you 65+ folks for thoughts on these wheels or suggestions for other comfortable (not deep) wheels for my bike. Remember, they have to look good on my bike.
Ever considered custom wheels? I ordered mine from prowheelbuilder.com with H+Son rims, White T11 hubs, Sapim spokes, etc. The ride is especially smooth with the wider-type rims.

Old 04-10-16, 06:55 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts

I bought a pair of low profile wheels from Nashbar when they had an extra discount. Used the front yesterday with those gusty winds and last Sunday on the Cross Florida ride. Many riders had deep dish front wheel last Sunday with the crazy winds on the X-Florida ride. They are all a whole lot stronger than me, even the women.
Old 04-12-16, 02:27 PM
RonH
Life is good

I stopped by the bike shop today to find out what wheelsets they can get for the Cannondale. Of all the brands they can get I'm interested in the Fulcrum Racing 3, Easton EA90SL and American Classic Argent. Anyone have any thoughts on any of these wheels? Thanks.

Old 04-15-16, 07:43 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I stopped by the bike shop today to find out what wheelsets they can get for the Cannondale. Of all the brands they can get I'm interested in the Fulcrum Racing 3, Easton EA90SL and American Classic Argent. Anyone have any thoughts on any of these wheels? Thanks.
I have the fulcrum 3s on my bike with about 12k on them and they are still as true as when I got them. I didn't have to change the bearings out, but I did. I weigh 195.
Old 04-18-16, 03:09 PM
DougG
Road Runner

This was one of those days that makes me glad to be retired (not that I really need much reminding!). After a month of really crappy weather (previous weekend with highs in the 30s, snow and sleet), this weekend was gloriously warm and sunny (actually unseasonable in its own right) and everybody was out on the rail-trails either running or biking. Today was the best of all, hitting close to 80, and the trailways were blessedly empty both when I ran this morning and when I biked this afternoon. Those poor folks who had to be inside on a day like this...

It's cooling off for the next few days and frankly I'm not that sorry -- I basically overdid it a bit with both long rides and runs in the space of four days and I'm definitely feeling it right now!
Old 04-18-16, 05:03 PM
RonH
Life is good

Ever considered custom wheels? I ordered mine from prowheelbuilder.com with H+Son rims, White T11 hubs, Sapim spokes, etc. The ride is especially smooth with the wider-type rims.
I looked at prowheelbuilders and came up with three different builds that are in my price range. I have no experience with H + Son so why did you pick their rims?

Right now I'm leaning toward HED Belgium series C2 rims with T11 hubs, 24 spokes 2X front, 28 spoke 3X rear.
Other options could be Easton or Kinlin rims. None of the Mavic rims were less than 32 holes.
Thoughts?

Originally Posted by George
I have the fulcrum 3s on my bike with about 12k on them and they are still as true as when I got them. I didn't have to change the bearings out, but I did. I weigh 195.
I've read several reviews on roadbikereview where folks say that it is VERY hard to remove and install tires on Fulcrum rims. Got any thoughts?

Old 04-18-16, 05:42 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I haven't had any problem with mounting tires on my wheels. Continental 4 seasons , 4000s, Michelin endurance, and rubino pro 3s now. I like the pro 3s the best. ymmv.
Old 04-19-16, 06:01 AM
DougG
Road Runner

I looked at prowheelbuilders and came up with three different builds that are in my price range. I have no experience with H + Son so why did you pick their rims?

Right now I'm leaning toward HED Belgium series C2 rims with T11 hubs, 24 spokes 2X front, 28 spoke 3X rear.
Other options could be Easton or Kinlin rims. None of the Mavic rims were less than 32 holes.
Thoughts?
If I recall correctly, there was a supply problem with the HED Belgiums at the time. I also did it partially because I liked the look of the black anodized brake tracks and just wanted something a bit "different." The H+Sons are the wider style rims and no problem mounting tires on them. There is a lot of discussion on wheels, wheel builders, etc. on the appropriate roadbikereview forum, which is where I got a lot of my information.
Old 04-19-16, 01:49 PM
Porschefan

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, 1989 Schwinn Circuit, 2010 Yeti ASR 5, '80 Vitus 979 (being refurb'd)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've read several reviews on roadbikereview where folks say that it is VERY hard to remove and install tires on Fulcrum rims. Got any thoughts?
I bought this Fulcrum CPX 2.5 from a member at the Paceline Forum about a year ago. I'm NOT an expert, but according to the seller these are OEM-branded Fulcrum Racing 3's. I'm not sure where they stand in the hierarchy of quality wheels, but they are a BIG upgrade over the stock Bontrager wheels that came with my Trek Domane 4.3. I used them with tubes until one of the original tires was damaged and currently have Specialized tubeless tires--the rims are fully-sealed. I've had no problems mounting tires--including putting a tube in the rear tire when it punctured badly. Like I said, I'm not an expert, but that's my experience FWIW.

I also paid $375 for the entire set, including the Schwalbe One tires, so it was definitely a good deal. The hubs are (supposedly) Campy-manufactured OEM models also.

STP
Old 04-23-16, 01:01 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Anybody care to natter about pronation (fallen arches) and fascilitis. . .not many bothered (perhaps affected) about this on the over 50s. . .
I wonder if Ive climbed my last decent hill. . .and a couch potatos life beckons!
Old 04-23-16, 02:02 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by peterws
I wonder if Ive climbed my last decent hill. . .and a couch potatos life beckons!
Bite your tongue.
You could just avoid the hills or if all else fails you could get a recumbent or trike. Luckily I'm not there yet.

Old 04-24-16, 04:52 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I wasnt there last week either! I ll give it another go s afternoon. .
Old 04-24-16, 09:43 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
Anybody care to natter about pronation (fallen arches) and fascilitis. . .not many bothered (perhaps affected) about this on the over 50s. . .
--arch supports all the time for plantar fasciitis and perhaps for biking... try experimenting with a more midfoot riding position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.