Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Headset Press Recommendation?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Headset Press Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 10:57 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26455 Post(s)
Liked 10,415 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I have one that came from Nashbar that I suspect is like the X-tool. ...Works pretty good for me.
....I've been using one of those from Nashbar for years with good results. I can't find the Nashbar branded one for sale anywhere now, but it looks like this.

Every Cyclus tool I've bought has been of excellent quality, and bargain priced. But as you've already discovered, sometimes the shipping can be costly.
Back when I was buying mine, the trade off with not having to pay the VAT on them covered part of the shipping. Anyway, shop around at the various Euro sites, I've never found an American distributor.

Not sure what's going on with them now, but Chris King headsets used to require a special press fitting you bought from them for their headset installation. Otherwise you can hurt them.
Old 02-18-20, 11:01 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26455 Post(s)
Liked 10,415 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
The Park Tool pro model is an awesome tool. Like you, I used the threaded rod technique for years, finally upgraded to the real deal.

Now I see Jensen USA has a nice Foundation headset press for $59, very similar and $100 less than the good Park unit. I'd be tempted!
...that's about what the Nashbar one was priced at when they were still selling them. I've used the Park over at the co-op, and there's not a whole lot of difference between them.
Old 02-18-20, 12:30 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked 4,642 Times in 1,779 Posts
I used the rod and washers for a while, but found it fiddly. Got the VAR tool. Just because I wanted a VAR tool.

Works well, BTW.

Old 02-18-20, 12:53 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Not sure what's going on with them now, but Chris King headsets used to require a special press fitting you bought from them for their headset installation. Otherwise you can hurt them.
I have a very early CK headset on my Redcay. Before I had a proper tool (I now have the Cyclus), I tried briefly with my homebrew threaded rod setup. Being aware of the "special fitting", I didn't try long before taking it to the LBS.
Old 02-18-20, 01:16 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 399 Posts
Hydraulic press, mechanical press, threaded rod & washers, wood blocks and hammer... all work fine if you are careful and the cups/headset fitting is OK. If not, any of them can ruin the cups/headset.
Old 02-18-20, 02:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
Very helpful. I'm about to redo the Chris King headset in a 1993 Trek 5900 and wondered about the appropriate press tool. Removing the headset was easy -- any good split-tubing punch should do. But I can see why the press should have those stepped bushings to maintain alignment. So I'll scratch the simple bolt, washer and nut tools off my list. Don't wanna take chances with a carbon fiber frame.